Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I and maybe you will be getting a Xbox One

Comments

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

Do people not know you can stream whatever you want to your PS3? I stream movies/tv shows from Vuze on my comp to Vuze on my PS3...the new Xbox brought nothing new to the table.

Someone already mentioned a 24/7 internet connection is required, does that not bother anyone?

My internet service provider is garbage and they have a monopoly out here so there's no changing. If im in the mood for games and my internet goes down for an hour, i'm just going to be frustrated as hell because i can't even play singleplayer. All because Microsoft wants to keep an eye on what I do, with what *I* bought? No thanks. I want to give them the middle finger so badly.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Well I went and just pre-ordered my new Xbox One. When I walked up to Gamestop they had told me there was only 1 other pre-order remaining. Apparently Microsoft set a limit as to how many people can pre-order from the start while Sony gave each Gamestop something like 20+ pre-orders per store. It is still amazing after how many people are concerned about Microsoft policies on game forums but many are still rushing out to Gamestop to pre-order themselves a new Xbox One. 
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by jskeets916
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Sorry to say but community wont change for shit, putting money into this crappy box will just give MS more reason to continue with this big brother behaviour. Oh and half the features won't work in Europe, yeah I'm not getting one.

You couldnt be more wrong.

Kids are more likely to recklessly make use of the used game industry where as the more mature audience generally keeps their games and doesnt make a stink about not being able to trade them in for a few bucks to get another title. Working adults (mature ones) are not nickle and diming just to get keep their flow of core games coming in, as they will most likely play for shorter periods after work and hold onto titles.

That said, used game buying and selling is factually worse than piracy. It hurts developers, publishers and even the gamers when they wonder why less single player games are being made and why theres so much day 1 DLC popping up. Supporting used games means supporting more anti-consumer methods to make back those losses.

While right now all the "gamer kids" are rubbing butter all over their bodies for the PS4 and jumping on the "it won" bandwaggon, they most likely doing it soly for the reason that Sony pulled a fast PR stunt with the used game theme.

These very same immature people probably dont realize that each console is being sold at a loss, and as each game makes less due to the used game industry, that they will then have to spend more money for services, features and DLC sony will be throwing at them as a means to off set the losses.

You have to look at the bigger picture.

Personally Im a PC guy, and didnt like the xbox one much outside of its design...but what Sony did by screwing over the publishers and developers just for a PR stunt really make me like them less and the xbox more. I'm pro-developer, not pro-retailer (which acts as a nasty middleman squeezing out as much as they can).

lol... sorry the gamer kiddies are hyped about the Xbox One and not the PS4. They don't care what it costs or about their rights and privacy and etc. Mom and dad are paying for their games so new or used doesn't matter. 

I'm pro-developer as well but I'm simply anti publisher (You know the guys that are actually against used game sales). See developers are getting paid for developing the game. Publishers get their money through game sales. Taking away rights for consumers just to increase profits further isn't something I agree with. Publishers are already trying to milk more and more money out of consumers at the cost of quality, content, entertainment, etc. Allowing them to milk even more by removing my rights to own a physical product I have paid for simply makes things worse. 

I'm glad you are pro-developer even though you don't seem to understand how everything works. I wish others would step up and be pro-developer and pro-gamer like Sony has instead of going full on pro-publisher and pro-moneyatwhateverthecost like Microsoft has. 

^This = truth

I'm not pro-developer or publisher.I am pro consumer coz that is what I am.Consoles are primarily a consumer product and should put consumers first.I also don't see why Game Developers are special snowflakes that deserve more rights and privileges than creators of other type of entertainment media.When you add in studies that show that second hand sales drive up New Games sales and console sales,so they want to get rid of the second hand market and make things always online and restricted licenses then they can drop the price they ask accordingly.

Again you are blaming things the publishers are doing on the developers. Developers like any other individual or group that tries to create anything gets pushed out of the limelight and gets walked on. They should be treated like a special snowflake as should anyone that creates things that we enjoy but sadly they aren't. Publishers (Like producers and etc.) come in and take over and even interfere with the creative process in the name of profits. They don't care about the developers, the game, you, me, or anyone else. They simply want your money and as much of it as they can get for as little effort and money they can. 

At the very least the developers tend to at least care about the game, more often than not they care about us gamers as well because they want us to like them and their creation. For a true developer this is important. 

painters, sculptors, musicians, song writers, writers, and artists of all types deserve more respect than they currently receive. 

That is true to a point but if the developer is owned by the publisher it really makes no difference.As a consumer I only care about my end.Don't get me wrong I don't expect them to work for nothing and they deserve a return on their work but not at the expense of consumer rights and what I consider a fair price.

painters, sculptors, musicians, song writers, writers, and artists of all types get the respect they deserve but not always the monetary recompense but that has more to do with their negotiations with their representatives in the marketplace and being exploited therein.They don't deserve a piece of secondary sales by consumers.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Well I went and just pre-ordered my new Xbox One. When I walked up to Gamestop they had told me there was only 1 other pre-order remaining. Apparently Microsoft set a limit as to how many people can pre-order from the start while Sony gave each Gamestop something like 20+ pre-orders per store. It is still amazing after how many people are concerned about Microsoft policies on game forums but many are still rushing out to Gamestop to pre-order themselves a new Xbox One. 

Good luck lol. I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised if this is true because all around the web it seems most gamers, reviewers, gaming news writes, and etc have declared the Xbox One DOA. Maybe there are a lot of people without internet picking them up lol. That would be funny as hell. 

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Why get the PS4 instead?  The DRM, online verification, and region lock aren't factors to me.  The hardware is nearly identical, or practically so and the price points aren't that far off from each other if you consider the Sony version of Kinect.  The premium services cost roughly the same.  The free game selection for the PS4 appeals to me , as does the Windows integration with the XB1.

I agree much of it is similar except

- no renting games on X1

- no streaming media without premium services   (PN+ is not required for netflix, etc)

- x1 is unable to play games unless internet connected every 24 hrs 

(making it an issue for any traveling w X1 where internet access is limited/absent)

You play on a pc that is almost always connected to the internet. Not understanding your logic at all on that point.

You are right. I can also play my pc games if I haven't connected to the internet in a month, a year, etc. Save for my MMO's of course. 

Not only that but my PC will have almost all of the Xbox One "exclusives". 

So... I'm not understanding your logic. 

You may just have to pay for Windows Live in order to play Microsoft exclusives. Either way Microsoft wins.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I have always been an xbox fan, but I will be going PS4 this time around.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Good luck lol. I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised if this is true because all around the web it seems most gamers, reviewers, gaming news writes, and etc have declared the Xbox One DOA. Maybe there are a lot of people without internet picking them up lol. That would be funny as hell. 

People on the internet? LMAO

Most gamers do not use game websites or even watch shows like E3. Only the hardcore does stuff like that. When I am at work I just sit back and listen to people talk about games and stuff and most don't have a clue to whats really going on or what  the interent buzz is. If you are here then that means you play mmos so try asking  people in your mmo what did they think about E3. I bet you most have no idea what you are even talking about.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    I am sticking with PC for my hardcore gaming and maybe picking up a wiiu for the colorful games they showed at e3.
  • mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    did I read xbox and more mature in the same sentence??

C

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

All of your arguements are stupid.

Games??  Ryse?? If that is MS answer to God of War, then no thanks. Compare the 1 botton timing combat of Ryse to what we saw of FFXV and its not even close. The only think that makes MS Viable is the fact that they are now getting games that use to be PS exclusives. Real proven games with a track record. Games like Metal Gear Solid. Final Fantasy 15, Kindom Hearts. All of these franchises are legendary. How do you know a first time IP like Ryse isnt the same boring 1 botton combat over and over for a couple of hours? How do you know the story is a B rated movie? Oh and you cant rent the game or borrow it to check it out first before you spend the 60 bucks. And if it sucks your stuck with it. Titan fall looks interesting but besides the Titans, which the devs said will not give you a decisive advantage, what seperates it from CoD, or any other shooter out there? A very weak arguement.

You want the Xbox 1 for the things it can do besides play games. Name one thing the Xbox 1 can do that PS4 cant???

I rest my case on this weak aguement. Also I'm 34. I have two Tvs, a pc and a laptop in my media room. I love sports.. so i have them going while I play games or write. I dont want to switch between video games, sports, tv shows and movies on one tv, just for my console. Believe me Ive been watching movies and such for a long time. I'm not dumb enough to believe that microsoft figureout a way to make my movie experience better. Besides I have U turrent and watch must my films for free or in theater before I buy them on Blueray. Bad arguement.

A more "Muture Audience"??? Well I learn a looooong time ago that maturity doesnt come with age. And if you are dumb enough to get duped by MS, then I betting you dont have much maturity to start with. I mean, ive gotta pay MS 10 bucks to have a premium membership, while sony is asking for 5? I've gotta give you and extra hundred bucks for the same system as sony, but youre offering me a lesser DMR? Oh I get a camera!... Wait Sony is selling their camera seperatly for 60 bucks, still making your box 40 bucks more expensive!? Oh you have a couple of exclusive IPs? Wells Sony says they have 140 games being released before a years time and 35 of this are exclusive IPs.

This extra hundred bucks going to the same company that gave us the dreaded red ring of death on our 360s?

Oh and what happens when I move. I've the weekend off and I'm waiting for the cable guy to show up monday between 10-5 to install my cable and internet. Your telling me I cant play my Xbox 1 because i need internet and you dont trust me I'm not stealing money from you MS??!

Fuck you Microsoft. Long live Sony! Guess thats why Sony got chants of love from their fans at E3

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

The big problem i have with Xbox One is what happens when its 15 years down the road and you want to take out your xbox one and play your old system?

Right now i can still play my nintendo, turbograpix, Xbox, ps2 ect...... and in 15 years i can take them out of a box again and do the same. 

With Xbox One will i be able, once microsoft decides to turn off the servers in the future to still play my games?

This is the main reason i will not be buying a Xbox One. I have a great internet service and im online all the time so that part does not bother me its just what happens to my system in the future.

Originally posted by Arcticnoon

All of your arguements are stupid.

Games??  Ryse?? If that is MS answer to God of War, then no thanks. Compare the 1 botton timing combat of Ryse to what we saw of FFXV and its not even close. The only think that makes MS Viable is the fact that they are now getting games that use to be PS exclusives. Real proven games with a track record. Games like Metal Gear Solid. Final Fantasy 15, Kindom Hearts. All of these franchises are legendary. How do you know a first time IP like Ryse isnt the same boring 1 botton combat over and over for a couple of hours? How do you know the story is a B rated movie? Oh and you cant rent the game or borrow it to check it out first before you spend the 60 bucks. And if it sucks your stuck with it. Titan fall looks interesting but besides the Titans, which the devs said will not give you a decisive advantage, what seperates it from CoD, or any other shooter out there? A very weak arguement.

You want the Xbox 1 for the things it can do besides play games. Name one thing the Xbox 1 can do that PS4 cant???

I rest my case on this weak aguement. Also I'm 34. I have two Tvs, a pc and a laptop in my media room. I love sports.. so i have them going while I play games or write. I dont want to switch between video games, sports, tv shows and movies on one tv, just for my console. Believe me Ive been watching movies and such for a long time. I'm not dumb enough to believe that microsoft figureout a way to make my movie experience better. Besides I have U turrent and watch must my films for free or in theater before I buy them on Blueray. Bad arguement.

A more "Muture Audience"??? Well I learn a looooong time ago that maturity doesnt come with age. And if you are dumb enough to get duped by MS, then I betting you dont have much maturity to start with. I mean, ive gotta pay MS 10 bucks to have a premium membership, while sony is asking for 5? I've gotta give you and extra hundred bucks for the same system as sony, but youre offering me a lesser DMR? Oh I get a camera!... Wait Sony is selling their camera seperatly for 60 bucks, still making your box 40 bucks more expensive!? Oh you have a couple of exclusive IPs? Wells Sony says they have 140 games being released before a years time and 35 of this are exclusive IPs.

Oh and what happens when I move. I've the weekend off and I'm waiting for the cable guy to show up monday between 10-5 to install my cable and internet. Your telling me I cant play my Xbox 1 because i need internet and you dont trust me I'm not stealing money from you MS??!

Fuck you Microsoft. Long live Sony! Guess thats why Sony got chants of love from their fans at E3

You calling the man arguments stupid? Is it really that serious? He likes the Xbox One and the games that are coming out for it so why is that stupid? You all need to understand that the 24 hour online check and the used games thing which still is unclear how it will work are non factors to some people. Also if you move you schedule your internet provider to have your service up and running at your new place the day you move in it. LOL

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

@Mannish

DO you realize that you are advising me to conform my schedule and arragments around Microsoft. Isnt the whole point to make you systems user friendly? To attract consumers? If im giving you 500 of my hard earned money for the most expensive product line, your product better be the best damn thing out there. But no, youre selling me a lesser product for more.

This is proof that evolution is a lie. People are getting dumber as time goes by.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

while i can see the trend coming (being old can be beneficial at times ;), i can see consoles pushing their limits more and more and becoming far more interactive than your typical PC and i believe their ability to run more and more complex and beautiful games will only increase.

so ya, the trend is towards consoles gaining a larger share of the gamer market  vis a vis PCs. however, aside from the money, im just not ready to make that leap quite yet.

PCs, while perhaps mine are not media centers like other's are, mine still does a variety of tasks that simply cannot be replaced by a console. as such, the PC will still be my goto machine for entertainment as well as other pursuits for the forseeable future.

i know the trend is going to change that in time, but for now...

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by Arcticnoon

@Mannish

DO you realize that you are advising me to conform my schedule and arragments around Microsoft. Isnt the whole point to make you systems user friendly? To attract consumers? If im giving you 500 of my hard earned money for the most expensive product line, your product better be the best damn thing out there. But no, youre selling me a lesser product for more.

This is proof that evolution is a lie. People are getting dumber as time goes by.

No, your confirm your schedule and arrangements around your internet service provider. If you are moving you call your provider ahead of time and tell them where and when so they can get you back online. I am moved many times and each time this is how I have done it.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Won't be touching the xbox one at all. Not even going to attempt to support Microsoft shafting you gamers even more, the xbox one is all about maximising publishers profits, you buy a game, you complete it, it just sits there doing nothing, you can't trade it in anymore or gift it to a friend.

No, no, this is a terrible direction for gaming. Steam, Origin, Desura etc is fine on the PC as the games aren't tied to your PC.

• StuppeStuppe Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Glad I have a Wii U, sure there are sucky games. But there lots (and even more coming soon) GOOD games, fun gameplay and just overall quality games. Not for everyone one, but i think its the ideal console for me.
  • PerramasPerramas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    The kinect eye into my house is a deal breaker for me, I will be passing on xbox1.

FUncom putting the FU in fun since 1993.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Let's see...

24 hour DRM. Awesome. I have to check in with Microsoft every 24 hours or the console won't work. 

I HAVE to get Kinect which always observes. Cool feature. 

Can't rent, can't loan, can't share games. Oh, I can share a game with a friend but they have to be on my friends list for 30 days.  A key feature of the console is that I can share my games with 10 family members on any console. That's a feature. Just what the fuck. 

The console HAS to be connected to the internet once a day. So, to play my single player game, I have to be connected to the internet anyways. 

I CAN trade games in, but only if the retailer decides to participate. 

I don't want a video game console for TV, movies, and music. I want it to play video games.

Also, a more mature audience on the Xbone? What in the world makes you think that? Do you really think that parents of the immature 15 year olds aren't going to buy the console? Not exactly like a 15 year old could afford a Xbox 360 either. 

I can't believe anyone would support their insane always-online DRM. The ONLY reason I'd even consider buying an Xbox One would be for exclusives, and I've yet to see one that makes me forget about all the other horseshit that accompanies the Xbox One. 

I very rarely get pissed about the video game industry, but Microsoft has gone full retard with this console. 

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

This thread is very depressing to me.

Watching people proclaim they are going to throw away what little remaining customer rights we still have in the gamer market away to play one or two worthless exclusives.

Games last weeks, maybe months if you're lucky.

The loss of our rights to do what we want with those games are forever, just ask us PC gamers.

• AzphelAzphel Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by bestever

1. I do agree that 360 had some decent games on it, and I at some point wanted a 360 for that reason. Sadly, with the bombs that Microsoft keeps dropping on everyone, there aren't going to be many companies that are willing to even bother making games for Microsoft. I think we will see the opposite of what happened with the previous generation of consoles.

I think you have this part wrong. The dev's want to make money off used game or not have used games at all. If they see huge losses on games sales on the PS4 they will go to the XBOX ONE for this reason. Go to ign and read what dev's think about it and you'll see that they like what MS is doing. 

The other extreme also holds true. I don't know a single one of my friends who are planning on buying an X1 my self in cluded. So developers refuse to make games on the PS4 because of Sony's Pro-Consumer policies. I believe they would make even less money back by doing this because of the vast difference between the amount of people buying a PS4 and people buying X1.  I loved my 360. Supported microsoft all threw this generation. but because of there anti-consumer policies they will never see a cent from me and instead my money will go to there competitors.

This market is ran by the consumer and NOT the developers. Sony learned that the hard way when they revealed the PS3's staggering $600 price tag and the gaming world responded to that with a resounding NO. They got greedy and they paid for it. This is happening to Microsoft now though in a much more horrific way. The vast majority of gamers do NOT want what they are imposing upon there fans.

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

Originally posted by MidBoss

Watching people proclaim they are going to throw away what little remaining customer rights we still have in the gamer market away to play one or two worthless exclusives.

The loss of our rights to do what we want with those games are forever, just ask us PC gamers.

Totally understand what you are saying and don't blame people. I have been gaming since my late teens I have never once sold or traded in my games to my friends ever. As a pc player as well I am also online 24/7 so being always online isn't an issue. Sure checking in once every 24 hours if you choose to play offline could be an issue for some but you as well as I do that gamers as soon as they get free time and yes we all know we make time they will be on their gaming platform of choice 24/7. So I really think all this fuss about drm and online only is just a knee jerk reaction. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

If I were to buy a console in the next decade and the next next gen hasn't come out by that point then I will get a PS4 because I honestly don't see any appeal at all in online gaming on consoles and with MS going full retard with the Xbox 1 as they did with Windows 8 for desktops the Xbox One hold zero appeal for me... if more games had linux support and it wasn't a right tosser to get the ones that do work to work well I'd not even have Windows installed anymore.

Originally posted by MidBoss

Totally understand what you are saying and don't blame people. I have been gaming since my late teens I have never once sold or traded in my games to my friends ever. As a pc player as well I am also online 24/7 so being always online isn't an issue. Sure checking in once every 24 hours if you choose to play offline could be an issue for some but you as well as I do that gamers as soon as they get free time and yes we all know we make time they will be on their gaming platform of choice 24/7. So I really think all this fuss about drm and online only is just a knee jerk reaction. 

And in my honest opinion I think you should:

A) stop troll baiting so hard;

B) stop accepting payment for your articles because you're frankly terrible at hiding it. I've seen fanbois and what you just said in your last phrase strips you of all credibility.