Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: "We have a console for people without internet, it's called a 360"

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

You may be right in that "the world" is becoming "always online", but I will not participate. I do not want to be "online always." Another choice taken from my hands is not what I desire.

The important question is not whether you will participate or not, but how much of the market will.

If most don't care enough not to participate, then MS wins.

Look at D3. It got bad press about always on internet requirement .. what happened? It sold 14.5M copies, and millions are still playing one year after release, and continuously ranking top 10 on xfire.

So apparently people don't care enough about always on to avoid buying D3.

(oh, personally i probably wont buy a XB1 at release .. i probably will at least wait-n-see.)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by ZeGerman

Originally posted by rojo6934
    if i cannot play a single player game offline because the console is not capable of doing that, i will not own that console. That is not a reason to accept the "all online world" you mention. That is a step backwards in technology. The new console is powerful enough to handle both features, why take away offline capabilities when you can have both?. Clearly Xbox one isnt capable of that. Microsoft is taking the Watch Dogs idea too seriously with the all connected world... they forget this is the real life.

Why do League of Legends (Online game) and World of Tanks (Online Game) not allow offline play? Cause they would detract from the online community.  Why do free to play MMO's hate private servers? It clearly not about money its about the fact that they sap players who would possibly play on the normal servers away there by reducing the size of the community.  If your forced to go through the effort of connecting your xbox online your more likely to use the online services.  Community is everything in gaming these days anything they can do that they think will improve community they will, if you don't agree with it then its just not the right community for you it doesn't mean they are wrong or evil or money grubbers. (All of which microsoft is but not for this reason).
    Why do I "have to" be online to play Skyrim? Or Kingdom of Keflings? Or Madden NFL in franchise mode? or ANY game that has single player capability? (None of your examples have this capability, by the way.)

You may be right in that "the world" is becoming "always online", but I will not participate. I do not want to be "online always." Another choice taken from my hands is not what I desire.

I am sure its to deal with people who have been making illegal copies of games. It forces to authenticate if you own the game. I get Microsoft has lots a lot of money to this, but upsetting paying customers is not the way to fix this.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

if i cannot play a single player game offline because the console is not capable of doing that, i will not own that console. That is not a reason to accept the "all online world" you mention. That is a step backwards in technology. The new console is powerful enough to handle both features, why take away offline capabilities when you can have both?. Clearly Xbox one isnt capable of that. Microsoft is taking the Watch Dogs idea too seriously with the all connected world... they forget this is the real life.
    Why do League of Legends (Online game) and World of Tanks (Online Game) not allow offline play? Cause they would detract from the online community.  Why do free to play MMO's hate private servers? It clearly not about money its about the fact that they sap players who would possibly play on the normal servers away there by reducing the size of the community.  If your forced to go through the effort of connecting your xbox online your more likely to use the online services.  Community is everything in gaming these days anything they can do that they think will improve community they will, if you don't agree with it then its just not the right community for you it doesn't mean they are wrong or evil or money grubbers. (All of which microsoft is but not for this reason).
    Why do I "have to" be online to play Skyrim? Or Kingdom of Keflings? Or Madden NFL in franchise mode? or ANY game that has single player capability? (None of your examples have this capability, by the way.)You may be right in that "the world" is becoming "always online", but I will not participate. I do not want to be "online always." Another choice taken from my hands is not what I desire.
    I am sure its to deal with people who have been making illegal copies of games. It forces to authenticate if you own the game. I get Microsoft has lots a lot of money to this, but upsetting paying customers is not the way to fix this.
    I understand that. But authenticate a game I purchased in their own marketplace and have on my HDD, no physical CD/DVD involved? Is there a way to make a copy of it? I don't know, so I am asking :) I can not even get a flash stick to work between my X-Box 360 and PC! lol

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
     I can not even get a flash stick to work between my X-Box 360 and PC! lol

hope thats not right -- i have no problem using a usb stick or micro sd card between PS3 and PC

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Why do I "have to" be online to play Skyrim? Or Kingdom of Keflings? Or Madden NFL in franchise mode? or ANY game that has single player capability? (None of your examples have this capability, by the way.)

I understand that. But authenticate a game I purchased in their own marketplace and have on my HDD, no physical CD/DVD involved? Is there a way to make a copy of it? I don't know, so I am asking :) I can not even get a flash stick to work between my X-Box 360 and PC! lol

Yup if you know what your doing. Sad thing is the changed to XB1 wont stop people from doing this. Its only going to tic off the every day customer. If I want to mode my XB1 to played copied games I will and Microsoft cant stop me. A hack and a mod to play off line will come out. I have friends who do this for 50-60 bucks. I could do it myself its not hard. (But I dont) This falls under the same reason I dont buy Apple products. To get them to give me the freedom I want with my phone I need to jail break it. I know how but I dont want to. So I buy Android. 

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Give a month and the systems will be stripped and hacked to pieces. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Where I stand? If Microsoft does not make some huge changes I will take a pass on XB1. I want...

1. To be able to trade games with friends as I like

2. No mandatory log in online to be able to play offline games

3. I want to be able to sell/trade and give away my games as I wish

If the above is not going to happen, I guess PS4 will be my new next gen console.

It isn't going to happen. Once Microsoft gets on their horse they never get off. Even if the horse has died of not eating, they will continue to say "It will pan out".

Who knows. Maybe they will have a complete change of mindset, but seeing what happened with Windows 8 really leaves me to wonder how many mistakes they can make and not be willing to change. With windows 8 it is charging for the fixes people wanted under the 8.1 release. Now they are not backing down on their firm DRM stance, and not allowing people to play offline for longer than 24 hours at a time.  

Honestly like I said though, who knows how many it will actually sell. I think in the US there is enough oblivious children, parents, and xbox fanboys who will continue to buy it. I know two people who watched all of E3 and still want the xbox just because they think the PS4 is all RPG gaming. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I can't really recall an instance where a company profited by telling the consumer that they are wrong. If people don't like the features of the new Xbox, they simply won't buy it (especially when there is a comparable product with fewer of the disliked features, and at a lower price). And in MS's case in particular, they have not been particularly stellar in a lot of cases in selling devices to people anyway (the Xbox being one of the few exceptions), so it seems they misread customer sentiment/desires quite often. This does not bode well for the XboxOne.

an opinion on MS choices for XBox One

The Xbox One is the Focus Group’s Console

http://www.technologyguide.com/the-xbox-one-is-the-focus-groups-console/?asrc=EM_NLN_22055242

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

I understand what they are going for...looking at the next decade as opposed to the next year or so. It makes sense that most people will have internet access at that point. There are a variety of problems associated with this though. Not everyone has a stable internet connection. There are actually parts of the world that don't have access to the internet at all. I know if you live in the US this sounds crazy, but that includes the US. Chances are most of the guys without internet can't afford an Xbox, but that doesn't change the fact that they essentially just cut those guys out of the picture. This interview is basically Don Matrick telling those guys they are not cool enough to own an Xbox One. Not to mention that stable internet connections are not always available. A TON of areas only have access to one broadband connection which can result in downtime and stability problems. 

What about people who don't use the internet on there Xbox? Last I checked it wasn't even half of Xbox live owners that had Xbox Live Gold. Obviously less then that don't have access to the internet on their Xbox, but it does put things into perspective. Not to mention the guys who have internet but don't have a connection for their Xbox. Sure, they may have a wireless connection available, but that also means that they...have to have one available. So this means that not only do you need an internet connection, but you need a reliable wireless router as well. 

This doesn't even factor in that it checks to see if you have internet every time you try to play a game at a friend's house with your account. 

Microsoft can try to justify this all they want, but Sony is providing a better, more valuable service without the need for an always online connection. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by saurus123

no they are not

if you dont have internet access then you are living on north pole

ohh wait they have internet access there :D

A lot of people (especially those of us in america) take this assumption for granted. However, there are quite a lot of people on the planet who either don't have, or don't have reliable internet. One big demographic to consider are soldiers on tour. Many of them play games (mostly Xbox), and have questionable internet depending on where they are stationed.

Furthermore, even in the first world internet providers can be finnicky. You also don't always want to be forced to run internet all over your house just to enjoy a console you play for (what should be) offline games.

The feature to patch into the internet and provide content is indeed a good one. To not allow for the option to not have it, is exceedingly moronic.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Nadia
    an opinion on MS choices for XBox One The Xbox One is the Focus Group’s Consolehttp://www.technologyguide.com/the-xbox-one-is-the-focus-groups-console/?asrc=EM_NLN_22055242

For people who don't want to read the article, it's about how Microsoft based what they are doing off of some sort of market research, and very little off of what their customers say they want.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AntiarinAntiarin Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Required internet connection, DRM, whatever. I could almost accept that. But the fact that the Kinect is always on is a deal breaker. The damn thing is watching me. Too many shades of "1984". I'm done with XBox.

Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi

Originally posted by aiemageek
     the Kinect is always on is a deal breaker.

Next-gen Kinect's always-listening function can be disabled

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/xbox-one/news/1121650.20130607.Next-gen-Kinects-always-listening-function-can-be-disabled/

Microsoft has now confirmed that this feature can be disabled, and also that the Kinect itself can be “paused”.

"If you don't want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say 'Xbox Off',” said the company.

“When the system is off, it's only listening for the single voice command – 'Xbox On,' and you can even turn that feature off too.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I wonder how long till all games will be like diablo3?
    I forsee this always on drm as a means for them design games that require the use of a market to buy items. Most games I grew up playing had cheat codes, konami code for example, now dev's will design games to have barriers that force/encourage using the market. So, when a boss beats you like 2 times in a row, you get a popup that shows what you can buy to help beat the guy. Games designed for monetization instead of fun.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Originally posted by lugal

Blizzard allowed D3 to be offline for consoles

http://n4g.com/news/1216880/diablo-3-lead-designer-explains-console-offline-mode-delivers-inadvertent-pop-at-next-gen-xbox

Josh Mosqueira has explained that Blizzard and Sony identified the “significant amount of consoles not connected to the internet” as their reasoning for including offline play in Diablo 3

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Well they are removing top comments on youtube the backlash is huge here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bTAKSBvuT-A#!

Although there are alot of xbox fanboys trolling up the page.

This industry only moves when we kick them squarley in the cashflow, buy a ps4 or build a gaming computer my friends.

the online req goes WAY to far,  Bring Xbox down.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by lugal

Blizzard allowed D3 to be offline for consoles

http://n4g.com/news/1216880/diablo-3-lead-designer-explains-console-offline-mode-delivers-inadvertent-pop-at-next-gen-xbox

Josh Mosqueira has explained that Blizzard and Sony identified the “significant amount of consoles not connected to the internet” as their reasoning for including offline play in Diablo 3

i could say same thing about PCs

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by lizardbones

an opinion on MS choices for XBox One

The Xbox One is the Focus Group’s Console

http://www.technologyguide.com/the-xbox-one-is-the-focus-groups-console/?asrc=EM_NLN_22055242

For people who don't want to read the article, it's about how Microsoft based what they are doing off of some sort of market research, and very little off of what their customers say they want.

That's a really good article. A neat perspective on things. I guess I am ignorant towards Microsoft's thinking because I am a "gamer" and not a "Gamer". If I did have to pick a console (I don't play on consoles anymore) it would be the PS4 for me.  Mainly because it's less restrictive.  All the doom and gloom over XBox One lately would surely make just about anyone think it will tank hard.  However the reasoning behind their choices and why they made them seems really solid.  Curious to see how it works out in the end.

Originally posted by aiemageek  the Kinect is always on is a deal breaker.
    Next-gen Kinect's always-listening function can be disabled

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/xbox-one/news/1121650.20130607.Next-gen-Kinects-always-listening-function-can-be-disabled/

Microsoft has now confirmed that this feature can be disabled, and also that the Kinect itself can be “paused”."If you don't want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say 'Xbox Off',” said the company.“When the system is off, it's only listening for the single voice command – 'Xbox On,' and you can even turn that feature off too.

Good grief. It's almost like they don't really know how the Xbox One really works, or they don't understand how to explain what it does to people.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yes, we need more "always on" devices !

"Always On" devices use more electricity !

We need to use more electricity.

We need to burn more coal and fuel oil to generate that electricity....

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

The silly thing is that many people also gave Microsoft a second chance.

As opposed to the people who have given Sony a second third and forth chance?

Do people just forget that they KNEW about a security flaw in the PSN and did nothing about it until it was hacked and millions of credit card data and other information was stolen?

Do they forget that they then didn't tell people for 2 weeks after it happened giving criminals time to use that information instead of giving the victims time to protect themselves?

Do they forget that right as the announcement about the PSN hack came out Sony got hacked again with more information stolen?

Maybe in a discussion of Xbox vs Playstation second chances aren't the best topic to make Playstation look better.

Arent companies supossed to get better?, if they make stupid mistakes then learn from them? i hope Sony learned from that crap that got them hacked, but that doesnt mean i have to fall again from another crap now brought by Microsoft. I know ill get my ps4 and IF i decide to stay with xbox live it will be on my current 360 aside from my ps4 of course. If you and I are competing and you make a horrible mistake, i will not make a horrible mistake just because your fans gave you a second chance and my fans might do it too.

My point is in a thread where people are saying that the PS4 is a better choice, using one of those reasons as Microsoft made a mistake and therefore shouldn't be given another one is a crazy remark because Sony has made far worse mistakes and people are suggesting giving them another shot.

Also companies are supposed to get better, that is why it was so shocking that Sony left vulnerabilities in their other sites after the PSN hack suggesting that they clearly didn't care enough about any of their users' information to learn from their mistakes.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't like Microsoft that much and find some of their policies to be ridiculous. However, being logged in to use stuff is where the entire software industry is headed and a big reason for that is piracy. Blame the people who continue to steal software/movies/music as to why you will continue to face tougher restrictions.

Most people truly will never care about the always logged in style of the Xbox. This has already been proven with Steam continuing to do well as it implements the same policies. It is where the future of stuff is headed. We're also headed toward a future where people don't buy software, but instead rent it (which also requires people to be logged in to show they have a valid account) which you can see with Adobe and Microsoft products (among other companies). The few people who really care will try to fight it but eventually have to accept it as the majority is ok with it happening.

I highly dislike F2P MMO gaming. I can protest and shout from the hills if I want, but so many people are for it that it is happening and will continue to happen just like logged in to use software.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

The silly thing is that many people also gave Microsoft a second chance.

As opposed to the people who have given Sony a second third and forth chance?

Do people just forget that they KNEW about a security flaw in the PSN and did nothing about it until it was hacked and millions of credit card data and other information was stolen?

Do they forget that they then didn't tell people for 2 weeks after it happened giving criminals time to use that information instead of giving the victims time to protect themselves?

Do they forget that right as the announcement about the PSN hack came out Sony got hacked again with more information stolen?

Maybe in a discussion of Xbox vs Playstation second chances aren't the best topic to make Playstation look better.

Arent companies supossed to get better?, if they make stupid mistakes then learn from them? i hope Sony learned from that crap that got them hacked, but that doesnt mean i have to fall again from another crap now brought by Microsoft. I know ill get my ps4 and IF i decide to stay with xbox live it will be on my current 360 aside from my ps4 of course. If you and I are competing and you make a horrible mistake, i will not make a horrible mistake just because your fans gave you a second chance and my fans might do it too.

My point is in a thread where people are saying that the PS4 is a better choice, using one of those reasons as Microsoft made a mistake and therefore shouldn't be given another one is a crazy remark because Sony has made far worse mistakes and people are suggesting giving them another shot.

Also companies are supposed to get better, that is why it was so shocking that Sony left vulnerabilities in their other sites after the PSN hack suggesting that they clearly didn't care enough about any of their users' information to learn from their mistakes.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't like Microsoft that much and find some of their policies to be ridiculous. However, being logged in to use stuff is where the entire software industry is headed and a big reason for that is piracy. Blame the people who continue to steal software/movies/music as to why you will continue to face tougher restrictions.

Most people truly will never care about the always logged in style of the Xbox. This has already been proven with Steam continuing to do well as it implements the same policies. It is where the future of stuff is headed. We're also headed toward a future where people don't buy software, but instead rent it (which also requires people to be logged in to show they have a valid account) which you can see with Adobe and Microsoft products (among other companies). The few people who really care will try to fight it but eventually have to accept it as the majority is ok with it happening.

I highly dislike F2P MMO gaming. I can protest and shout from the hills if I want, but so many people are for it that it is happening and will continue to happen just like logged in to use software.

You do not need to always be on to play steam games.  Any single player game can be played offline.  Please learn how steam works before you use it as an example.   

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Caldrin

What if someone had internet access.. but then for whatever reason got cut off.. maybe the lines to their street melted, they could not afford it or whatever..

The xbox one would become useless if they didnt have access to the net after 30 days. I dont care too much as I dont play games on colnsoles but its utterly wrong for them to put this kind of system in place..

Saying that I am sure it wont be long before someone hacks the system

As said in this topic it's 24 hours......regardless

If losing connection to the internet for what ever reason I am not able to still continue my Steam/UPlay/Origins singleplayer games for atleast 24hours.

So I have no idea what the hell some are complaining about?

TheYear1500: could you educate me how to play my singeplayer Steam games offline. I couldn't find how to. Hopefully you can.

Originally posted by Reklaw

Originally posted by Caldrin What if someone had internet access.. but then for whatever reason got cut off.. maybe the lines to their street melted, they could not afford it or whatever.. The xbox one would become useless if they didnt have access to the net after 30 days. I dont care too much as I dont play games on colnsoles but its utterly wrong for them to put this kind of system in place..   Saying that I am sure it wont be long before someone hacks the system
     As said in this topic it's 24 hours......regardless

If losing connection to the internet for what ever reason I am not able to still continue my Steam/UPlay/Origins singleplayer games for atleast 24hours.

So I have no idea what the hell some are complaining about?

TheYear1500: could you educate me how to play my singeplayer Steam games offline. I couldn't find how to. Hopefully you can.

Nevermind.

The 'always on' isn't really a big deal. It has indeed been demonstrated that most people really don't care. The problem is Microsoft's @sshole response and the repeated responses where Microsoft doesn't understand or doesn't care about the complaints that people have.