Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: There Is Only WAR

123457»

Comments

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Stumperson

It's already flawed from the start.

People who don't want to play orks will obviously buy their way to the faction of their choice...I.E. Space Marine. The ratios will be DESTROYED from day one. When you give one faction the OBVIOUS advantage over the other...people will PLAY THAT FACTION. It's not rocket science...plus people want to play the Space Marines or Chaos or Eldar. While the idea of F2P Orks was great and all it was great on paper not in  practice. People will buy themselves out of Orks and into the most powerful factions and in the end orks will be the obvious underpowered and pointless race and will die out. 

I don't think orks will die out in the game with this model at all, because as I understand it there will be F2P orks (the basic ork boyz who need to gang up against a space marine to take it down) and the Premium orks, your bigger and badder nobz and other veterans who would be more than capable of going up against a marine (just like an experienced eldar aspect warrior would, for example, even if a basic Guardian should not stack up against a basic Space Marine).

If anything the orks will have an advantage over the other races with _both_ premium players _and_ F2P boyz filling out the horde.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by SteinarB
    Originally posted by Stumperson

It's already flawed from the start.

People who don't want to play orks will obviously buy their way to the faction of their choice...I.E. Space Marine. The ratios will be DESTROYED from day one. When you give one faction the OBVIOUS advantage over the other...people will PLAY THAT FACTION. It's not rocket science...plus people want to play the Space Marines or Chaos or Eldar. While the idea of F2P Orks was great and all it was great on paper not in  practice. People will buy themselves out of Orks and into the most powerful factions and in the end orks will be the obvious underpowered and pointless race and will die out. 

I don't think orks will die out in the game with this model at all, because as I understand it there will be F2P orks (the basic ork boyz who need to gang up against a space marine to take it down) and the Premium orks, your bigger and badder nobz and other veterans who would be more than capable of going up against a marine (just like an experienced eldar aspect warrior would, for example, even if a basic Guardian should not stack up against a basic Space Marine).

If anything the orks will have an advantage over the other races with _both_ premium players _and_ F2P boyz filling out the horde.

Don't forget that they didn't say basic ork boyz, they said ork boyz with the option to progress horizontally which means potentially the following roles/progression free of charge: shootas, sluggas, flyboyz, warbikas, 'ard boyz, madboyz and spanna boyz. That gives you quite allot of play room and a taste of every possible role in the game at a basic level (shootas = crappy ranged, sluggas = crappy melee but with deadly choppas, flyboyz = ramshackle fightabommas or fightas, warbikas get access to light vehicles, 'ard boyz are pseudo-heavy infantry with heavier armour than sluggas or shootas and heavier weapon choices than both but are slower, madboyz could give you a taste of how khornate berzerkers and other fearless units play and spanna boyz are starter mechs).

• rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    The fact that u must pay to play Space Marines & that from the dozens Space Marines chapters the only playable one is Dark Angels make me to stop care about this game for good, this game is no longer in my radar.
  • JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36

Still disappointed to see so many 'entitled' posts showing up here, (though I can't say I'm really surprised...) but for all the "Waaah!  It's SO P2W!  :_(  ", there are some people able to see that the developer may be on to something w/ the approach they're taking to the F2P aspect, (or they'll at least give the devs a chance to prove themselves.)  I think it will be a great way to try the game out to be a part of the Ork horde / swarm.  They haven't tried to sugar-coat that the F2P folks will be at a disadvantage, (or rather - Ork Boyz = HARD MODE ACTIVATED!  : )  It also fits nicely w/ the lore of the species.  The subbed Ork players will definitely shift the 5:1 balance down to the point where all the the crying - I mean 'concern' about it now will be moot.

The long and the short if it is still that the game isn't out yet, and all of the plans they have for the game and the monetizing of it etc. isn't really all that worthwhile to speculate about or scrutinize until the beta comes around.  But in the meantime I'm sure that the game announcement and the discussion here has been a huge boon publicity-wise for them so keep it goin!

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Most innovative gameplay i ever heard. One of my favorites
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

For me if they can bring into it the sort of gameplay we got in WH 40K Space Marine and add a MMO world, then we could be on a winner.

That game had the best solution to melee versus ranged I have seen, give melee jet packs and it evens up the playing field. I think we will get a persistent world, not sure how MMO like it would be though. Something like PS2 using WH 40k would have the makings of a great MMOFPS.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Scot

For me if they can bring into it the sort of gameplay we got in WH 40K Space Marine and add a MMO world, then we could be on a winner.

That game had the best solution to melee versus ranged I have seen, give melee jet packs and it evens up the playing field. I think we will get a persistent world, not sure how MMO like it would be though. Something like PS2 using WH 40k would have the makings of a great MMOFPS.

*MMOTPS with possible scope sight like Warframe.

• maelstorm1maelstorm1 Member Posts: 4
    I wonder how much will be allowed to be played.  Can i make my marine a Deathwing marine?  or a Ravenwing?  this annoucment just makes me come up with more questions that they have answered.  Granted they are early in development it seems.
  • kumobladekumoblade Member UncommonPosts: 86

I'm actually quite excited about this game.

They're following the lore. 

I like the F2P choice they've made.  I'm sure it will change several times over by release, but it's appealing.

Those people whining about Ork Boyz being 5/1 SM only don't understand the Ork mentality.  It's not about the personal victory, or phat lewts. Its about WAAAAAGH!  Being an ork is about fighting for the sake of fighting.  And since this is a SKILL based game, I could see a very compitent F2P player taking down a fair number of dem humies.

And I'm glad to see there won't be many of them running, jumping around going 'kk /duel me! /duel me! lolololol' due to their inherent imbalance.  

To the Whining F2P players who have a problem with Ork Boyz.  Pay for the game.   Otherwise, L2WAAAAGH.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I just hope for the love of God it does not look all cartoony like World of Warcraft.  
  • quix0tequix0te Member UncommonPosts: 138

So now we have yet another free FPS.  JUST LIKE PLANETSIDE, or three or four PC or console games which are free after you buy.  Most of which are really well done.  The ONLY selling point is the WH40K franchise.  Which it sounds like most of you are going bitch about because "the color scheme is forest green and not grot green" or "the flamer template should be eight meters, not five meters!".

I'll never understand why nobody ever developed a sqad-based MMORTS a la Shattered Galaxy.  I could easily see a WH40K MMO where you can command a full squad of marines, a Predator Tank (or two), a flight of four jet bikes, or a squad of twenty shootas.  You get the idea.  This would be more true to WH40K than a FPS anyway.  Its pretty close to what the DOW2 games played like.

Oh well.  Not my problem.

• TechroTechro Member Posts: 1

If you have ever played the table top you would understand that cover is a fundemental part of the game and if you dont take cover then you most likely will lose the match. 

It seems good i like the f2p ork mob - Green tide wAAAAAAAaaaggh!! but i also do fear the p2w aspect of the game. Even though it will be alot of fun to just slaughter f2p ork mobs. 

i guess i'm a fan of the original pay a sub and make a game motto. oh well times change and in the grimm dark future there is only f2p games.