Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... 10,000,000+ box sales?

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

A bit disappointed about the Spring 2014 bit but can't say I'm surprised about it also being in the new consoles...smart move on their part. It pretty well guarantees a truly massive roll-out.

I'm even more curious now about the financial model. Both Sony and Microsoft require a monthly fee for on-line play of anything. Could they really ask people for another monthly fee on top of that? I'm betting not...probably B2P on all platforms is my guess.

i'll still be playing it on my PC since I prefer my KB and Gaming mouse but the more the merrier. This is good news.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    You prolly read something misleading....that would never happen though
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

Huh? Skyrim sold 7,000,000 units the first week. ESO PC + Xbox + PS? It'll hit 10 mil easy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    SP games sell better than MMORPGs.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Yeah but the way they are now marketting it is that it is ES single player, except online. I think the OP may be right, with a concurrent roleout with the consoles this has potential to be big sales. Whether that will equate to ongoing subs is anyones guess.  I think considering the market, they would be better off making it F2P with a cash shop, to guard against the guaranteed drop off after the first few months.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by evilastro

Yeah but the way they are now marketting it is that it is ES single player, except online. I think the OP may be right, with a concurrent roleout with the consoles this has potential to be big sales. Whether that will equate to ongoing subs is anyones guess.  I think considering the market, they would be better off making it F2P with a cash shop, to guard against the guaranteed drop off after the first few months.

Maybe you meant B2P?

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Let's give it a 10mils sale, problem is : How many of them will remain playing after a year?
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Considering Sykrim's huge sales (over 10 mil. units) and new marketing and design direction this game is having (single player + multiplayer), expecting 10 mil. box sales is not unreasonable.

Honestly, I think that this move is the smartest one business wise.

Zenimax realized that they would never sell enough PC boxes with B2P model to cover the investment and possible P2P model would hurt the box sales even more.

Instead, they will sell a lot of boxes across all platforms, but in turn decided to give up on sub fee income. There is no way they would expect from players to pay 2 subs (for both console online gaming and the game itself).

Originally posted by colddog04

Maybe you meant B2P?

I did, sorry :)

Its a much better model anyway.

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

Huh? Skyrim sold 7,000,000 units the first week. ESO PC + Xbox + PS? It'll hit 10 mil easy.

Well because Skyrim is a pure single player TES game. ESO takes it up to the MMO scale and not all the design choices are welcome by TES playerbase so I doubt it can even reach half of Skyrim sales.

It's possible for TESO to sell very well, but I wouldn't start overestimating just yet. While it's true they're marketing this game as a TES title that just happens to be online, it's very hard to predict what the actual reaction to it will be. TES games are loved because they allow you to wander around and do stuff, while TESO seems to have a rather high focus on group activities and lacks many elements that made previous TES titles successful, such as housing and becoming the coolest guy in the world.

In the end, I highly doubt the majority of Skyrim fans will love this. Remember the KotOR vs. TOR debacle? That "online SP game" plan didn't work very well.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    9,999,999 because I'm not buying it. :) Had me sold when they announced the plan they had set out, but these last few months have shut me off to this game. Its funny they are now going after the console market also, but who couldn't see this coming.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

A bit disappointed about the Spring 2014 bit but can't say I'm surprised about it also being in the new consoles...smart move on their part. It pretty well guarantees a truly massive roll-out.

I'm even more curious now about the financial model. Both Sony and Microsoft require a monthly fee for on-line play of anything. Could they really ask people for another monthly fee on top of that? I'm betting not...probably B2P on all platforms is my guess.

i'll still be playing it on my PC since I prefer my KB and Gaming mouse but the more the merrier. This is good news.

With 15million+ sold skyrim games playing skyrim and many new mmo players yeh they can maybe go over 20.000.000+ players

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

With 15million+ sold skyrim games playing skyrim and many new mmo players yeh they can maybe go over 20.000.000+ players

Why not 100 million players? There are like 6 billion people on the planet. That's only like 1.7% of the population.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Are we back at that WoW killer topic? Really?

This game has nothing to offer other than the name and we saw already how well that went for Star Wars.

2-3 mil sold copies is what swtor and gw2 achieved and that is about the modern max a mmo can get.

TESO will not beat these numbers with its name alone.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

This game has nothing to offer other than the name and we saw already how well that went for Star Wars.

2-3 mil sold copies is what swtor and gw2 achieved and that is about the modern max a mmo can get.

Both PC only games. Consoles have a much bigger gaming population.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Most of whom couldn't give two shakes about online gaming and those that do also have PCs.

They do care about online gaming. Just not about MMORPGs. Understandably so, considering the quality of most console MMOs. FFXIV and Defiance aren't that great on any platform.
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

The new consoles currently have 0 population. Also, when they release, they won't instantly have the same installed base as current gen. It'll take years.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Most of whom couldn't give two shakes about online gaming and those that do also have PCs.

Its a gamble, the demographic their trying to sell this game to, are probably not even remotely interested. Console gamers know what they like, and ESO doesnt fall into that category, it isnt after all, Skyrim, not even close, and with so many F2P titles coming out on the PS4 etc, a B2P MMO, is probably going to suffer, whether the game comes out on the xbox one is pretty much irrelevant, its not going to be a popular console, how good the game on the PS4 though will help create sales, but whether or not they'll stay past a month, or possibly 2, is extremely debateable. Going console for an MMO is kind of an admission of defeat, their as good as saying they know that their game is not going to be successful on the PC. image

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Both SWTOR and GW2 sold 2-3 million copies each, but they were both PC only titles. Also, SWTOR had sub fee, while GW is not such strong IP compered to Star Wars or Elder Scrolls. Even WoW's MoP didn't sell over what, 3.5 million total?

TESO most likely wouldn't beat those numbers on PC, no matter the quality level of the game itself. But on all platforms? 5-10 million is indeed very possible, especially now, with 1st person view and new marketing strategy.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I'll be surprised if it hits 10 million box sales.  If it was going to be released on the PS3 and 360, the figure would be realistic.  We have to see what the take up of the new consoles are going to be like.  Some people like to wait before they buy a new console.  Allow the games catalogue to build up and hope for a price  drop (IMO).
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Both SWTOR and GW2 sold 2-3 million copies each, but they were both PC only titles. Also, SWTOR had sub fee, while GW is not such strong IP compered to Star Wars or Elder Scrolls. Even WoW's MoP didn't sell over what, 3.5 million total?

TESO most likely wouldn't beat those numbers on PC, no matter the quality level of the game itself. But on all platforms? 5-10 million is indeed very possible, especially now, with 1st person view and new marketing strategy.

Where talking Bethesda-zenimax(huge amount of money)and huge fanbase of 15millionplus elderscroll fans.

Now on all platforms i say easy 20million players for TESO(me not included im true elder scroll solo fanboi)

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621

I know my whole guild is now turing its back on this game. Bringing it to consoles may double or even triple its sales potential, but anyone whos played a cross platform MMO before can tell you its a disaster. They will lose a ton of PC players with this move, and Im not sure the added console players will make up the difference. 

As for me, Im still picking it up, but I do so with the intention of playing it solo. Just like any other Elder Scrolls game, Im happy to run through all the story and content, all 3 faction, completely solo. After the initial month or two of play, I will happily say goodbye, and feel like I got what I payed for, and never look back. 

Consoles is a death sentence to MMOs, and this game wont be any different. Sure they will get the sales, but they have no longevity.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by DeniZg

3 mil GW2 at the start of the year, by now it could well be up to 5-6 mil. The point is though that if anyone buys the bloody thing for MMO gameplay it'll be PC gamers either for their PC or their consoles (depending which port is better). True blue console games may pick it up to play for the story but trying to rely on a traditional SP IP to sell an MMO is the same thing SWtOR did...and where did that end up? ( Star Wars is a big IP granted but in SWtOR's case the sub-IP was the KOTOR one still engulfed in the Star Wars universe but a traditionally SP game universe).

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by dimnikar

The new consoles currently have 0 population. Also, when they release, they won't instantly have the same installed base as current gen. It'll take years.

This is true but with PS4 @ $399? Sony had better have lots of units ready to go when it launches...it'll sell like hot cakes.

The Xbox is a different story...it looks distinctly stillborn to me. MS just keeps making one dumb decision after another... $100 more for the compulsory MS spycam... games can be sold/given only once and only to someone who has been on your friends list for > 30 days... bunch of corporate old farts with their heads firmly up their asses.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED