Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont like to explore new MMO worlds anymore

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
I used to be the explorer type in my first MMO which was WoW. But I dont like it anymore. Even questing. Am I bored or done with MMO's?

Comments

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    Its possible you are done with them, for now, but what do you like to do in current mmos? If the answer is nothing then you should probably look for other genres.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    You are probably tired of linear quest hubbing.  I can't tolerate it at all anymore.
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Most games give no real incentive for exploration, sadly.

• ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    entropia universe is great for exploring, long hunting runs, underwater exploration for sunken ships or leviathans. Mining takes you on some deep exploration too. space is incredibly dangerous but rewarding for the pvp'er with a bit of luck.
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    You are probably tired of linear quest hubbing.  I can't tolerate it at all anymore.

same here.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by krage
    Its possible you are done with them, for now, but what do you like to do in current mmos? If the answer is nothing then you should probably look for other genres.

Likely the fact that a lot of games are restricted down to questing hubs and there is no exploration left in a lot of new games.

EQ = Open world level grinder.

WoW = Open world level grinder with experience gained by quest hubs.

New MMO trend Neverwinter Nights for example = No open world. WoW style Quest hubs only with lobby cities and instances.  

Its like evolution lol.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by funcon
    I used to be the explorer type in my first MMO which was WoW. But I dont like it anymore. Even questing. Am I bored or done with MMO's?

When you play, do you find yourself repeating what you did the last time you logged in?

In one word, how's real life been going lately?

What's one feeling, experience or activity you'd like to get out of a game right now?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Kleptobrainiac
    I don't understand this. Are you saying that you feel you need to be "rewarded" for exploring? Like some achievements, experience points, or hidden treasure chests?

Or are you saying that the worlds created just are not interesting enough to explore anymore?

I've always explored because I enjoy doing that. The only incentive I need is a point in the distance :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

You probably spent too much time on forums listening to people tell you how boring questing is and how terrible themepark MMO's are.

Stay away from the forums and the fun might return. Otherwise, ya, you may be done or need a break if you truly are bored.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I don't understand this. Are you saying that you feel you need to be "rewarded" for exploring? Like some achievements, experience points, or hidden treasure chests?

Or are you saying that the worlds created just are not interesting enough to explore anymore?

I've always explored because I enjoy doing that. The only incentive I need is a point in the distance :)

I enjoyed exploring when you could actually explore. Most games now you can't go anywhere where you run out of site of the quest hub people are lvling from.

The worlds they make now are so boxed in there isn't anything you can't see from the road.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Most of the modern, so called, MMO's are really really shallow. They have closed tiny channelled maps. Nevewinter looks open until you look at it and realize the city is bigger than most zones, and 10x more open.  GW2 is fairly open, but most of that just feels contrived, but it is nowhere remotely as bad as SWTOR with its 'exhaustion zones', narrow valleys and optionless play paths.

So, while you might be getting bored with MMO's, I feel more as if it would be the frustration of the developers utter failures to produce worlds either interesting or large enough to be explored in the first place.

WoW(vanilla and early xpacs), EQ1/2, Vanguard, these provided large worlds that were open and could be explored. Lately though recent releases and xpacs have looked open but really been shallow, linear and pretty much too pointless to even bother having maps.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    What is this? Cry for help? If you are bored do something in real world, that is what i do in summer. You can do running, bike riding, bow shooting, paragliding, fencing, swimming, boxing, wrestling, football , rugby, golf, wood working, dog buying, saving the cat, mountain climbing ....... and when winter comes you will be ready to explore cyber world again.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by funcon

If you really want to explroe a world yo uwill probably have to go pre-WoW to do it...For some reason, since WoW released all game makers since think all we want is quest hubs and instanced worlds.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

You probably spent too much time on forums listening to people tell you how boring questing is and how terrible themepark MMO's are.

Stay away from the forums and the fun might return. Otherwise, ya, you may be done or need a break if you truly are bored.

Or he may be bored of the unvaried repetition of the formula. You don't need to participate in a forum to have insight into why you are bored. I doubt that the criticisms of developer group think have tainted his thinking

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

I love exploring i don't need a reward to do things in a MMO.

Most people do however.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Punk999

Most people do however.

You are reinforced in some way for exploring, even if that isn't with some text on the screen or some xp. One necessary ingredient would be some decently expansive place to explore though yeah?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Exploring is great if there is something NEW to find and finding it feels like a discovery not an expectation to be there.
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Punk999

Most people do however.

You are reinforced in some way for exploring, even if that isn't with some text on the screen or some xp. One necessary ingredient would be some decently expansive place to explore though yeah?

Well yeah true :)

My most favorite MMO i ever explored would be AC was awesome.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Exploring is great if there is something NEW to find and finding it feels like a discovery not an expectation to be there.

Amen.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I can relate to this. I'm quite bored of the genre, to be honest. It's a large reason I've gone almost entirely inactive in the past few years.

The only moment of joy I can even recall related to exploration was in "Rift". I was running around some mountain pass, and just generally roaming all over the place with no particular direction in mind. Then I came across this squirrel burial ground or something. It was like a bunch of squirrels roaming around a series of crucifixes. I kept wandering around the mountains, climbing as high as I could go. Eventually I came across this random mound. When I clicked it, there was some purple loot inside. I thought that was really neat.

However, as others said, it's the way games have gone. There's so little depth to most MMO worlds nowadays that I just get bored. I don't care about the characters because they're disinteresting. The world typically is very linear and guided. There's no gems or treasures lying in hiding for the curious player to come across. It's usually just quest at X for Y levels, migrate to Z area. Rinse and repeat for hours on end.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

when did exploring ever have an incentive other than somebody own curiosity?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I too explore for the fun of it, but we are the odd men out IMO.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

Most of the modern, so called, MMO's are really really shallow. They have closed tiny channelled maps. Nevewinter looks open until you look at it and realize the city is bigger than most zones, and 10x more open.  GW2 is fairly open, but most of that just feels contrived, but it is nowhere remotely as bad as SWTOR with its 'exhaustion zones', narrow valleys and optionless play paths.

So, while you might be getting bored with MMO's, I feel more as if it would be the frustration of the developers utter failures to produce worlds either interesting or large enough to be explored in the first place.

WoW(vanilla and early xpacs), EQ1/2, Vanguard, these provided large worlds that were open and could be explored. Lately though recent releases and xpacs have looked open but really been shallow, linear and pretty much too pointless to even bother having maps.

Next up in the MMORPG industry:  Tunnel of Death.  A long straight tunnel of monsters with rooms filled with quest hubs or boss mobs!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I enjoyed exploring when you could actually explore. Most games now you can't go anywhere where you run out of site of the quest hub people are lvling from.

The worlds they make now are so boxed in there isn't anything you can't see from the road.

Same here. When I played Asheron's Call and saw a mountain range, the land was daring me to climb it and see what's on the other side because you could do that. In most newer MMOs, mountains or any kind of steep incline is meant to channel you into the path you are supposed to be following. Even if one sticks to flat land, the tiered content and level disparity makes it such that trying to travel beyond where the game feels you are supposed to be is beyond risky, it's just plain one-shot suicide.

While this may seem a shameless plug, I genuinely do like that the new EVE expansion adds discovery and the journey back to exploration content.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Next up in the MMORPG industry:  Tunnel of Death.  A long straight tunnel of monsters with rooms filled with quest hubs or boss mobs!

After playing many of its predecessors, that is exactly what WOW felt like to me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre