Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Definining 'Bad' Community Behavior

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Callidor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3653126/Why-are-the-youth-of-today-so-rude.html

Weve overempowered the youth, (40 and under) to the point of self entitlement. Most MMO gamers think their fun is the ONLY important thing in life.

Why are the youth of today so rude?

What the Telegraph considers headline news. "failure of parents to provide their children with a grounding in basic manners"

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

And Socrates. Identical stories, only 2400 years apart.

Stick with the classics, as long as they're working for you, I guess. You can just imagine the editor assigning the op ed piece, "Go write another article that makes the retirees nod and shake their canes."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

"Although there are staff working and available for help in MMOs, sometimes it seems they are more on autopilot than before."

I thought it was well known that community staff had been downsized? The other members of MMO gaming staff who took a big hit since the genre began were writters. The quote went something like "Now they think everybody and the teaboy can write a quest."

---

Their canes? They run you down with mobility scooters these days to register disapproval. Old timers they are a-changin.

• dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29

I left playing Tera because of players with horrible behavior both personal and genaric. they would spam nonsense in the global chat all day and curse anyone out that ask for info or help saying that person was looking for hand outs to complete GROUP content.  I blame the increase in younger and younger kids being allowed to play these games in the last few years you get immature players flooding games and causing a preschool effect turning your game into a "MINE!" atmosphere. 

DCUO has lots of bad players as well but most of them are foriegners that don't care they do what they want when they want and doesn't understand when your mad at them but luckaly you can boot them from your party and replace them by reopening the group invites.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I Identify and agree with the opinions in this article. The poisonous and toxic behavior of a wider range of WoW players is what eventually led to our guild, friends and family cancelling our subscriptions and moving on.

I understand that in a multiplayer game you have many personality types often many that you dont like or dont agree with. But if online experiences are so negative that they sour your enjoyment of the game and these negative experiences happen frequently, then why on earth would I continue paying to participate in a community that is toxic and negative?

I truly believe that developers should have a more active role in their online community and police more behaviors that just botting or spamming. I have seen and experienced rampant bullying and verbal abuse in online games and this is completely unacceptable. 

What is even more insulting is to be blanketed as 'carebear' because you believe that people should hold to a sense of decorum when communicating with each other regardless of if its face to face or online.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I wonder if they could implement a system where if you /ignore a player they physically disappear from you game? Problem solved with minimal inconvenience to both parties.

I had an incident in Rift just last night. I was fishing, when a player gave me a group invite. I declined because, dude, I'm fishing. He proceeded to sit right next to me and fish, which is slightly annoying because the sound of fish flapping is a big clue to draw the line, and another player's sound makes me involuntarily click. Whatever, no big deal, but I moved to fish elsewhere, but he kept following me. And yes, it felt like harassment, albeit fairly harmless. I eventually logged off though, because it felt icky. I felt his actions were unprovoked and subtly hostile, so it negatively impacted my playing experience enough to cause me to log off. If only I could have erased him from my version of the world.

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

I stopped playing in guilds, teams, corps etc years ago, why?

Becouse humanity has failed in the task of beeing "conscious" online. Behaving like animals, praying on the weak and missinformed. Ban em all, ban all social interactions, ban all illiterate kids, ban all the developers, ban MMORPG.com, ban em ALL!

• mdnjdevilmdnjdevil Member Posts: 2

I recently gave up on all online gaming after playing Starcraft, GW1, and WoW for several years.  I have no shifted to Fallout, Skyrim, and offline Starcraft II. 

I think the key article in your article is perspective.  It varies so widely that creating a concrete solution is almost impossible.  The biggest problems that I experienced involved the insults thrown at people who were just learning how to play the game and/or did not play the game the way the general population thought it should.  Just about every instance or online game that I played was rife with this behavior.  Rarely did I receive a party or game where people where willing to adapt to or teach a new player.  Teaching and adapting are the basis of community to me.  That is where the social experience begins and the ignorant one ends and very few people appear to grasp that online in any arena.

• SandricSandric Member UncommonPosts: 103

I've been told I have huge amounts of patience.  I tend to talk my harassers.   Not rudely, just talk.  They tend to bluster for a while, but eventually I win.  They talk.  I allow them to friend me and harass me later, and do the same thing.  I assume that by getting out of their system and calming down, I provide a service to community to limit a harasser and get a small amount of pleasure at convincing someone and or calming them down.  Probably the teacher in me.

Anyhow, I do agree that there should be a more significant way to police gamers either through GM or a rating system or something.  Trash talking or harassing strangers is a very community and self-destructive way to express yourself.

Doing it to your friends though, that shows you care.

Major or Current Characters
    AC - The Brute lvl 85 macer -HG (retired)
    SWG - Lihone Su'alkn Master Ranger/ MCH - Flurry (Retired)
    EVE - Sulone - Cruiser Lover (Retired)
    LOTRO - Sandric lvl 50 Burg (and others)- Brandywine (Retired)
    GW2 - Sandric lvl 80 Thief - Dragonbrand (Retired)
    NeverWinter - Sandric lvl 60 Rogue - Dragonshard (Retired)
    Archage - Sandric lvl 50 everything - Naima (Active)
    Others (Lots) (Retired)

• kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Trying to define the concept of "bad behaviour" on a global scale is pretty much an impossible task due to conflicting ideologies. Anyone who's gone globetrotting would have encountered inherent social values across different communities that would appear almost alien to them and that they themselves would find rather abhorrent. I don't see why doing so in a global community such as the internet would be much different or any less difficult.
  • rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

With games being more and more geared towards "solo-friendly" (good or bad, not the issue), the repercussions of being a total douchebag in game are less and less.  If the other players are totally irrelevant to one's progress in the game, then there is no downside to the anti-social behavior.  If you can still accomplish everything in the game without depending on anyone else, the natural checks against such behavior (ostracism, isolation, etc) are removed.  All that's left then are the artificial external punishments.  (GM intervention, account banning, etc).

Emergent policing doesn't work if there is no actual basis for it in the game world.  

• MaskofManyMaskofMany Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by evilized
    Why play online games if you dont want others to be able to affect you in any way? If you consider somebody following you around on their character and /dancing to be harrassment you may want to find another hobby. Not to mention if you complained to a GM about it you are in turn encroaching on that player's gameplay, something you stated you didn't want done to you.

It's not about not wanting others to be able to affect you in any way at all. It's about others not being able to ruin your gameplay experience.

As for the bit about "encroaching on that player's gameplay" by reporting them, that's ridiculous. Harassment, griefing & trolling are against the rules (ToS) of nearly all MMOs. You're honestly saying that trying to make others follow the rules is somehow hurting their game experience? I'm not sure if you're being naive, immature, or just a griefer defending other griefers.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265
    Things have changed wether you want to admit it or not. When I was a kid we argued as kids always have, we even had a lot of fistfights but when it was over it was over. I NEVER heard anyone say "I hope you family gets cancer" no matter how angry they were. That phrase is now in one out of four posts on Youtube.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

How about you stop playing games that players can't police themselves? I bet if that little dancing fairy tried that in darkfall or some variation of that in EvE, both of you would have had a completely different experience.  It's not his behavior, it's your response to it. Wanna talk smack, meet me at the sun in this system(EvE), wardec his sorry ass and his corp so you can kill all of his friends too. 

You can't control all the trolls in the world, but you can play gmes that give you more options than /GM help. 

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general