Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$12,500 founder pack? What?

Comments

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    The funny thing is that at least a few rich people will actually buy this.  I guarantee it.  Hundreds of players purchased the Diamond Supporter package ($1,000 get to design a Unique item) in closed beta.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    hmmm isn't wasteful excess and self indulgence historically one of the signs of a Civilization in decline or about to fall?heh.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Lol wow..  I bet if they changed the wording then most would love it. Kickstarter $12k.. then ..then its ok

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Originally posted by fascism

6 months later...

"Yeah remember the Mouldy Chicken from Paths Of Exile? I designed that!"

"Paths of exile isnt that a  diablo clone that had all those useless passive skills? People still play that?"

"well no... but I had a part in designing it!"

"How much did they pay you?"

"Uh.. i paid them 12,000 dollars but I got a forum title! And im in the credits!"

"..."

While I agree 12.5k is steep, I wouldn't bash the game itself. It's 1000x better than Diablo 3, and has a lot of really good ideas/mechanics.

• SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I don't understand why many people are so upset about this. They basically ask for a donation giving a candy in return - nothing wrong with that and not disguised in any way. People with a certain wealth have to spend their money anywhere and there are a lot more questionable ways to expend it. And yes, people are suffering around the globe, but that are tasks of governments and nations in a whole, not private person who are free to choose and support their affections. And funding a game for others with less money to enjoy a better playing experience is a nice way to add to a common good. And if americans would care enough for the "hunger in the world"(cause that argument has arisen), instead of accusing a lil freelancer game for ripping of money, they could allow africa to produce their own medicine against hiv, don't grab other people ressources away from them or things like that (don't wonna go into more gruesome detail what could improve the world in a whole), before bitching about private persons donating to a game.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

No its not crazy,

1. The time the desinger team makes that monster costs much money.

2. Its oviosly for rich people.If a soccer loving sheek can spend 100 Million to buy a soccer team, then a games loving sheek can buy this with his pocket money.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Datastar
    LOL wow that's....just wow....if someone actually buys that I hope they suffer immensely, some folks cant even afford food.

How much have you spent on games?

You know, some folks can't even afford food.

Greedy asshole.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    LOL wow that's....just wow....if someone actually buys that I hope they suffer immensely, some folks cant even afford food.

I agree. How dare someone spend the money they more than likely worked hard to earn on whatever they want to! How selfish of people to feel so entitled to the fruit of their own labor. Bastards.

/sarcasm

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Honestly I'm more offended by the expectations of the developers than the acceptance of the few defenders here. It really sends a clear message of just how superficial developers think their most avid supporters are. Where's the trip to meet the team? The handcrafted limited addition swag? No you get a bunch of useless digital and real trinkets. Oh...and a copy of the model of the monster you designed which they would have to make anyway seeing as they are probably gonna need one to nail down it's design to begin with.

Developers have been using design-a-monster contest for YEARS to offer it's fanbase and now they're making them pay for it....nice. They really don't think much of you if they think they can buy you off with a box full of digital and trivial garbage. A more classy act would have been to simply suggest on their website that if you would like to give more to show your support contact us at yada, yada, yada. But if they think gamers nowadays are about nothing more than showboating and oneupsmanship then who am I to stand in the way of progress? Just don't get irritated when a batch of shrewd gamers start to demands more for shelling out that kind of dough and that useless swag slowly starts to turn into real items of advantage in-game. I mean who are you to stop progression right? If players are paying that much just to showboat now, where to you think the line will eventually be drawn?

Like I said, the better route would have been to offer a package to come meet the team for some one-on-one time with them, that way they can take pictures, sign autographs and really get to know the gamers that are supporting them, you know give that lucky gamer some real memories to hold onto, rather than turning this into a digital fundraiser with very little personal contact.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Gravarg
    Um, I've noticed the "new" thing for developers to do are the founder's packs, but $12,500 for a game is just crazy.  I think it's a trick to find out who's crazy and lock them in a mental institution lol.

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

So i went to the site and had a look at what you get......
    Doesn't match up to 12,000 worth of value..

You quite literally are getting virtually nothing.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Somebody at the IRS is signing up for this service right now as a business expense!
  • ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

For all complainers, remember all the conent added together is worth AT LEAST 50.000!!!! ;-)

But seriously my full game collection might not be worth so much, and I have quite some games. On top of that, at least they should give all in-game content ever released in the game and not a limited amount of points.

• NirvyNirvy Member Posts: 73
    Several people have already bought this, they admit to it being pocket change for them though. Good for them if they have that kind of cash, its an excellent game.

• Darkarai79Darkarai79 Member Posts: 39
    you should see the founder packs for face of mankind lol 
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I smell a new type of indy crowd funding marketing scheme appearing, and ive suspected it for a while.

Basically involves insanely high priced donation packs and investors that use the system to make it appear that its just normal fans so into the game they will part with massive amounts of money.  Not to mention employees friends and family who are gifted the $100-$200 packs with forum titles who then go onto the forum and make those "look at me" threads.

This gives the impression that the game is so awesome because look at all the normal people just like me who have paid $100-$1000 to donate to this game, hmm well maybe I can afford a $50 pack for a forum title and try to fit in...

I forget what game it was, it was that notable and memorable, who made some big splashes with kickstarter asking for a nominal amount and getting millions...and I sit there and look at the vague info, and see how no one is really talking about the game elsewhere and I think...they probably just had their partner in ownership buy in via kickstarter to make it look like it have insane support...despite no hype anywhere about the game.

As for POE, im glad some people support it. I paid $20 for an effect and warehouse space and that was about what the game is worth, I don't play it anymore.  Once you realize how pointless 90% of the skill web is, how survivability is the only real path, and how the actual skills on the web are so specialized as to never make sense outside of one maps encounter...well that and how boring combat was...I decided I gave the guys $20, it was a nice try at D2, and I moved on.  Still playing that hated game that cost $60 though...really getting my money out of that one lol.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    • 2 Path of Exile Stickers

Are you kidding me! Totally worth it!

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Um, I've noticed the "new" thing for developers to do are the founder's packs, but $12,500 for a game is just crazy.  I think it's a trick to find out who's crazy and lock them in a mental institution lol.

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

They are by far and away not the only ones doing this.  Pretty much every Crowd-funded games has something similar.

Camelot Unchained:

Pledge $10,000 or more -  4 backers Limited (1 left of 5) - A DRAGONWHALE? PHYSICAL REWARDS 

Star Citizen:

Pledge $10,000 or more -  1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)

Elite Dangerous:

Pledge £5,000 or more -  5 backers All gone!

So as you can see, not only do others offer similar, they consistently have takers.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    It's actually a great marketing strategy. If you browse through their forums, you will see a lot of e-peen competition among forum titles. I remember back in the run up to CB people were going nuts trying to get the tier of their founder package higher. One dude put it on his credit card. Basically they put everyone in competition with each other for the coolest title. Then sit back and profit. 
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

God forbid that people are allowed to decide how they want to spend their own money.

So much rage over nothing.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    The devs say they are actually losing money on that $12.5k pack. Creating a monster costs more than $12.5k.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Um, I've noticed the "new" thing for developers to do are the founder's packs, but $12,500 for a game is just crazy.  I think it's a trick to find out who's crazy and lock them in a mental institution lol. https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

Yeh they do this constantly for high ammount luring people into open up there wallets lol.

Always easy victems out there seduced with shiny things lol

One of reason why a stay away from this kind of games hehe.

Welcome to 2013:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Saints Row 4 has / had a 1 million dollar pack, sure it included lamborghini gallardo, virgin galactic space flight and whatnot, but still... a friggin mil :D

http://gamerant.com/saints-row-4-wad-edition-1-million-dollars/

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Originally posted by Zezda
    God forbid that people are allowed to decide how they want to spend their own money. So much rage over nothing.

It has nothing to do with being aloud to spent your money how you see fit or not.

Games should be 50 max or a monthly fee but not 50 bucks and then constantly reminded buy more more.
    Those who just wanne play game and pay 50 bucks now know they have a half content rest you see if you buy more its all money grab these days lazy money hungry bastards that only make full games if you pay 1000bucks.

Im glad still people like you on these forums with replys like this.

Thumbs up!!!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

if i had 12.5k dollars laying around and nothing else to buy, ya ild buy the founder pack.

charity only begets lazy people expecting handouts.

every person that donates money to one of those horrid charities like feed the children should be shot, you only allow them to live, get older, and continue to overbreed and create more starving children, are you proud of that?