Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$12,500 founder pack? What?

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Um, I've noticed the "new" thing for developers to do are the founder's packs, but $12,500 for a game is just crazy.  I think it's a trick to find out who's crazy and lock them in a mental institution lol.

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

Comments

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Wow that is crazy haha.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

uhhh I was expecting something crazy to come along with the game..

like that racing game that has the actual car in the package...

but no way in hell is that list worth $12,500...

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422
    LOL wow that's....just wow....if someone actually buys that I hope they suffer immensely, some folks cant even afford food.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    "Worst" part is that someone is probably going to pay for it.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gravarg
    Um, I've noticed the "new" thing for developers to do are the founder's packs, but $12,500 for a game is just crazy.  I think it's a trick to find out who's crazy and lock them in a mental institution lol.

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

So i went to the site and had a look at what you get......
    Doesn't match up to 12,000 worth of value..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Funny thing is, development teams usually pay people to design the creatures. There really will be people who think its glorious to pay them instead to do the work.

Still though... 12.5k for something like that? I guess if you had 8 digits and burn 15k just on dinner on a normal basis....

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    i guess if you can afford it... still. on the other hand they could give that money to me and halve my student loans. :)
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

6 months later...

"Yeah remember the Mouldy Chicken from Paths Of Exile? I designed that!"

"Paths of exile isnt that a  diablo clone that had all those useless passive skills? People still play that?"

"well no... but I had a part in designing it!"

"How much did they pay you?"

"Uh.. i paid them 12,000 dollars but I got a forum title! And im in the credits!"

"..."

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I love how they added free shipping in there.
  • reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I like the game, and if I was super hardcore into this, I would drop that money if I had it just laying around. I'm all for supporting a studio I like. Though it is a crazy amount of money, and yes someone will pay it. But good on them if they wish to support the studio.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Datastar
    LOL wow that's....just wow....if someone actually buys that I hope they suffer immensely, some folks cant even afford food.

+1

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Will probably double the games budget if they get one. Oooo I'm being a bitch :-p

• HayasaHayasa Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Noone finds wierd the Tabula Rasa T-shirt? Seriously, why Tabula Rasa? O_o
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol My gosh calm down guys. 

You're not wrong in thinking the things you are. I totally agree. But you're also not keeping a cool head. =p

It's obviously only for someone that wants to support the team and help move them along in the industry. Well, it seems "obvious" to me anyways. Come on now!

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    so maybe it's for a group of 10 friends willing to pay the 1500 each. I guess at that point they can all pitch in and get one pack but then only one accounts gets all the cool stuff.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

How is this any different than a kickstarter?

You people are fools.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by Datastar

You should then check your government. They trow away a lot more money then 12.500 dollars and it's there duty to take care of it's citizens. Not the people who pay for such a package (They already payed a lot more taxes then you most likely did!). If the person thinks spending this much money on it is worth it then I hope for him it is. I see no reason to think the person should suffer immensely for it.  

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

What's wrong with investing a large amount of money into a company?

It's not an investment. It's a donation. I'd rather donate to something more meaningful.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Hayasa

Tabula Rasa is more than just a video game :)

In addition to the 12,500 dollar package. If none of you have even paid attention to this game for that long (since many of you didn't even see this). These packs have essentially been here since the public knew about Path of Exile. They're there to help fund the development of the game and since they're an extremely small development team they need the money. They did not go about doing a Kickstarter like many other companies. Instead, they've made this feature available for people on their website for those who are willing to help pay the development process.

The "founder pack" if you'd like to call it is more like bundles you'd receive when you're helping to fund a Kickstarter. For example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game . Hex is a game currently under development which is offering many packs for investors to choose from. Their packs run all the way up to 10,000 dollars.

Is it so wrong to help fund a company who's doing an incredible job with their game?

Path of Exile is an extremely good action RPG. The game's supposedly going to have 10 acts. 3 of which are already released so far. The game's 3 acts as of right now are fully playable without any restrictions and the game has major updates on a regular basis. People should not be bashing on a company who's standards are far superior to other companies.

If you are "investing" $12,500 with this company, what are the expected returns?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Originally posted by Scalpless

It's not an investment. It's a donation. I'd rather donate to something more meaningful.

true but who is to say the people who get this do not spend 10 times more on something meaningful?

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Hayasa

Tabula Rasa is more than just a video game :)

In addition to the 12,500 dollar package. If none of you have even paid attention to this game for that long (since many of you didn't even see this). These packs have essentially been here since the public knew about Path of Exile. They're there to help fund the development of the game and since they're an extremely small development team they need the money. They did not go about doing a Kickstarter like many other companies. Instead, they've made this feature available for people on their website for those who are willing to help pay the development process.

The "founder pack" if you'd like to call it is more like bundles you'd receive when you're helping to fund a Kickstarter. For example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game . Hex is a game currently under development which is offering many packs for investors to choose from. Their packs run all the way up to 10,000 dollars.

Is it so wrong to help fund a company who's doing an incredible job with their game?

Path of Exile is an extremely good action RPG. The game's supposedly going to have 10 acts. 3 of which are already released so far. The game's 3 acts as of right now are fully playable without any restrictions and the game has major updates on a regular basis. People should not be bashing on a company who's standards are far superior to other companies.

If you are "investing" $12,500 with this company, what are the expected returns?

It's not investment. It's donation. Do you expect ROI when donating to kickstarter? It's exactly the same thing. There is ton of epopel with a lot of disposable income that do like to throw huge sums of money on games they enjoy, it's their money and if they earned it I see why they shouldn't be able to do whatever they want with them. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Nitth

So i went to the site and had a look at what you get......
    Doesn't match up to 12,000 worth of value..

Actually it does if you look at it from a development point of view, to consult, design, create and implement a creature that is pretty much what it can end up costing in the end (once labour and other costs are counted ((source for this is a interveiw with PGI, the company that makes  MWO)) ). It might seem insane but them are the deals.

But that is from a developer point of view... From a player point of view i fully agree it is sort of lame, usually the devs eat that cost and only charge a fraction of the price for the pack.

Now i think it was a cool pack, but not for that price.

This have been a good conversation

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I reckon if they get afew people to donate that amount of money then they might be able to pay someone to fix the 'd-zync' issue, because playing a melee hardcore character in PoE is a joke.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by Scalpless

true but who is to say the people who get this do not spend 10 times more on something meaningful?

Well, some people have more money then they can spend, are bored and plunge it into stuff like this.

I know a guy in EVE Online that uses like $1-2k/month to echange it into game money. (legal)

He lost a titan there, and he bought $10,000 worth of timecodes, sold them through the game forums and got himself a new titan with pimp fittings included.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"