Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If given $100 million,you think you could produce a AAA mmo?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Nobody here could produce a better mmo than what is being produced unless you've had experience in the industry, i am not surprised that people on this site think they could though. know it all's much.

I disagree. As I said, all you have to do is be the money man/woman and hire people who actually know what they are doing. Depending upon your own background you could be involved in the business side of things or the art or music or just be the bank account.

This isn't hard.

Exactly. With that kind of money you could get your hands on an existing, wide reach, low risk IP and hire a team of successful industry veterans with multiple AAA titles to their name to build it.

Based on the question in the title,

If AAA is defined by the amount of money spent, then anyone here can produce a AAA MMO.

If AAA is defined by the presence of a publisher, then anyone here can probably produce a AAA MMO.

Making an MMO is easy.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Nobody here could produce a better mmo than what is being produced unless you've had experience in the industry, i am not surprised that people on this site think they could though. know it all's much.

I disagree. As I said, all you have to do is be the money man/woman and hire people who actually know what they are doing. Depending upon your own background you could be involved in the business side of things or the art or music or just be the bank account.

This isn't hard.

Exactly. With that kind of money you could get your hands on an existing, wide reach, low risk IP and hire a team of successful industry veterans with multiple AAA titles to their name to build it.

If AAA is defined by the amount of money spent, then anyone here can produce a AAA MMO.

If AAA is defined by the presence of a publisher, then anyone here can probably produce a AAA MMO.

Making an MMO is easy.

True,but what makes you think it would sell?I did have that in my opening post.To me a triple A game would be one of quality,like TSW,GW2,WoW,AoC, and so on.Games that look good and have plenty of aeshetics (sp?).Meaning they have plenty when it comes to features and potential sales :)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by WereLlama
    Originally posted by Master.Ryu
    Given the high education in game design and ten years, I could. Main concern would be motivation to work on an MMO for so long, just to make it the best.

What do you want to do with your life? Whatever everyone else is doing? Party, work, or maybe, just maybe, build something new.

I encourage you to take the one less traveled by.  Worldly comforts are overrated.

-WL

arent the things people usually build are for comfort and fun?

I think the difference is to do something epic you have to transform yourself, and that usually means a short term pain, followed by long term gain.  When I refer to worldly comforts, I mean the short term kind.  

I think humans are not comfy with the short term pain that comes with the required transformation and rarely change their lives or create anything extraordinary.

To make an MMO, you have to suffer the change.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Slappy1

Just  a curious thought.We constantly discuss mmo's and what we want or expect from them.We have some pretty good idea's.

So if you were given $100 million buck's to put out a AAA mmo,what would your creation be?On top of that,what makes you believe it would sell?

Cmon peeps.don't hold back,let's see those idea's.

No, no I couldn't. I don't know a damn thing about creating an mmorpg.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

Just  a curious thought.We constantly discuss mmo's and what we want or expect from them.We have some pretty good idea's.

So if you were given $100 million buck's to put out a AAA mmo,what would your creation be?On top of that,what makes you believe it would sell?

I couldn't create one either.However there are some idea's floating in my head that I think could be successful,that's all it takes sometimes.A fresh idea.Yes you need backing,but if the idea is good,support should follow.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

True,but what makes you think it would sell?I did have that in my opening post.To me a triple A game would be one of quality,like TSW,GW2,WoW,AoC, and so on.Games that look good and have plenty of aeshetics (sp?).Meaning they have plenty when it comes to features and potential sales :)

You would basically get a team together, say what you wanted and they, with their experience would say what wouldn't work, what would work and what might work.

As long as you didnt' get drunk with that type of money and start making stupid purchases, you would be ok to experiment a bit without worry about running through the cash.

For instance I read that Curt Schilling bougth several VC systems for multiple thousands of dollars each.

Now, if your people are traveling a lot, especially flying, in order to take meetings, havign a VC room will actually save you more money in the long run. But you dont' need several of them.

You don't need to have the best furniture at the start with ergonomic chairs that cosst $500.00+ each. You can actually get decent ergonomic chairs for about [edit] $78.00 - $150.00 each.

In other words, use your money smartly so that you have money to try things.

But rely upon the professionals unless you have concrete evidence that certain game play decision can work.

look at the market and know your demographic. If you have an idea for a game that could be niche then hire someone who knows the market. They might tell you that you can only expect "x" amount f dollars per year on a certain type of title. You would then have to adjust your design and expenditure accordingly.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • actionreactionactionreaction Member Posts: 82

If I had a million bucks I'd make an original mix of Septerra Core/Fallout/Asheron's Call/Wurm

• Overland open-world
    • Steampunk/Fantasy
    • All objects in game made out of peticular materials of varying quality, aka Wurm,
    • Classless characters, with meaningful respec quests.
    • guild/allegiance system encourage vets to help newbs, newb gives a portion of xp to patron, in-return patron helps with knowledge/equipment to increase his effeciency.
    • flexible difficulty system, level 1-30 to could effectivily explore together, all players are encouraged with diverse and flexible spells system allowing you to cast beneficial spells on your friends/ and debuffs on your enemies, causing a diversion, ect.
    • twitch combat, with active healing options for all players, be it healing hits, potions, spells, powerful enough to allow quick paced, but player skill dependent battles.
    • meaningful quests, I'd rather do 1 hard quest and have it give 1 level of experience, or half, quarter ect depending on difficulty, instead of a increasing rate like wow, lvl1(2quests), lvl2(4quests), lvl3(8quests), ect.
    • 1 copy only unique items that are only found once it the world
    • Run/Jump/Climb/Fly skills mean something when you start as a newbie you might only be able to jump 3 ft, but as you practice and raise skill you run faster and jump further, climb steeper grades, trickier ledges, I'd like the prince of persia mechanics here.

I don't know much past being a gamer but, I'd have the controls and interface be somehow holographic overlay, controlled by brain-computer interfacing

for graphics engine, again I don't know much but, I like how AC1 did there seamless overland, with sections of the land sectored to be controlled by different computer loads, and you only render as far as you can see like minecraft. I'd choose the http://www.euclideon.com/media/ when it's finished, so far it's look pretty darn cool.

dunno what qualifies an AAA really.

edit: also 1 dedicated PVP server, and very few other PVE worlds to keep population together, and 1 Ladder for PVE and PVP that resets, weekly or monthly, or yearly.

also when players start maxing out experience, like what has happened in Ac1, instead of Luminance for things like critical hit rating, and dmg reduction ( which start to break game balance in PVP, resulting in nerfing PVE...), I'd give players aethestic choices, like changing your spell animations, colors, unique reward hats, let them concept new areas, or a wandering merchants, or a cave, waterfall  ect.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

To start with I'd divide it between four different banks equally and I'd just live off the interest rate for a couple of years and then I'd hire a team after about 10 years with the remaining pieces of interest and have them fulfill my vision of the perfect MMO. Would be stupid to spend it all on one MMO.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Let's be honest, 100 million dollar AAA MMOs aren't failing because their graphics suck, or they didn't spend enough money on X or Y.

It's because their game design choices are complete crap.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I couldn't create one either.However there are some idea's floating in my head that I think could be successful,that's all it takes sometimes.A fresh idea.Yes you need backing,but if the idea is good,support should follow.

Oooh I have an idea, a fresh idea!! No one has ever thought of it before!!

Well here is your $100 million son, I am sure it will be a huge success!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/business/curt-schilling-rhode-island-and-the-fall-of-38-studios.html?pagewanted=all

Good luck with that, LMFAO !!!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Boneserino

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/business/curt-schilling-rhode-island-and-the-fall-of-38-studios.html?pagewanted=all

which "again" is why you would hire a business manager.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Ive always considered the idea of time travel to be over looked in MMOs. Aside from the Caverns of Time in WoW not sure if anyone has ever dedicated much time to the idea.

With time travel there is an endless amount of possibilities for an MMO and its innovations.

Want a fantasy? no problem travel to Medieval times.

Want a high tech/future? Go million years into humanities future and what lies ahead?

Want a historical? Easy! Think you get where im going here.

Space sim might be a bit tougher but I look to Doctor Who for what a space sim with time travel might feel like.

Set in a modern era to start with man finally touching time travel and 2 rival companies looking to profit. (coughfactionscough)

In fear of ripping apart the time stream (im writing the rules after all) the player always assumes the appearence of the time that he is in (fully customized) You would travel to wherever you wished (no lvls) and either explore time, fix, change time. Sandbox with a themepark backdrop as it were. There would be a quest line but nothing forcing you to persue it.

Skill system close to something like UO, housing, open world PvP, Arena PVP would come in the form of vicious sports. (Its a messed up future lol)

Best part? WvW would be spread out over a time war as players would battle for key moments in time. Each moment in time giving something important to the victor (gunpowder, computers, advanced mathmetics, splitting the atom) etc.

I don't think I could ever do an MMO alone, I don't have the skills but im a writer and love the creation of universes in my head. If I had that money I would give it one hell of a go. The fact is no MMO is made by one man. Its made by teams all specialized in there field. The job is really bringing everyone and making them understand whats inside your head/dream. As such I would give it my all. That's just off the top of my head as I sat here at my computer.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This isn't hard.

Making an MMO is easy.

Whoa there. I never said it would be fun, good or successful by any measure. As I said earlier in this thread, the odds are that it will be a heap of crap, but it would still be an MMO. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

which "again" is why you would hire a business manager.

Oh sure like they didn't have a business manager!

Problem is they were blinded by their own egos just like most of the posters on this forum.     Sure!!!  Making MMO's is as simple as having a good idea.  

LMFAO!!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

This isn't hard.

Making an MMO is easy.

Whoa there. I never said it would be fun, good or successful by any measure. As I said earlier in this thread, the odds are that it will be a heap of crap, but it would still be an MMO. image

I suppose I misinterpreted AAA when I made my post,

now looking I would take 50m into 5 games/freetoplay/cashshops(dlc, extra areas, experience boost, health and dmg reduction boosts, top tier items and nessissitys for survival like potions or death hassel covering items ),

then ploy one of those 'mmorpg' sites with my other 50m, into hosting my 'free open beta, cash shop finished bug free, claim innovative gameplay), take my profit and rinse and repeat.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Problem is they were blinded by their own egos just like most of the posters on this forum.     Sure!!!  Making MMO's is as simple as having a good idea.  LMFAO!!
    Of course! Only BAD ideas would work!

MMOs start with an idea. The implementation of that idea is where things can bog down.

38 Studios made a lot, I mean A LOT of bad decisions.
    Did they "need" MacFarlane and Salvatore (both overpriced) on board? No.
    Did they "need" to go to Massachusetts and procure a loan? I hope not.

I would cut costs by forgoing voice acting and cut scenes. I would use that money to put into the game features *I* would like to see in an MMORPG. I would also NOT over market, over hype, or over promise the game. I would shoot small and let it grow.

Would it work? Probably not. But it would be an MMORPG and it would come in under budget. Success is whole other story :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Problem is they were blinded by their own egos just like most of the posters on this forum.     Sure!!!  Making MMO's is as simple as having a good idea.  

LMFAO!!

come on man, think a bit.

Excess expenditures, probably people who couldn't say "no".

Just the idea that they took that deal in R.I. was an issue. I mean, given the amount of money they had to come up with on installments, without any actual income other than "more investement" it was a bad deal.

You are right on one count, they were blinded by their own egos.

There were so many financial blunders that were published I can't imagine how many more didn't get aired in public.

No, if they had a business manager he was bad. They didn't operate like "a true startup" and weren't fiscally responsible.

Business get started with less than $100 million. No business plan, taking on unecessary financial hardship without an income other than to borrow more.

Not smart.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

I would make a huge world one server sandbox capable of supporting base developer content and player content.  I would create tools so that world masters could be active in day to day events and quest making.   I would create player tools to allow them to create nations, cities, towns, and other content.   I would design the game around economics to drive combat and other parts of the game.

LMFAO!!

come on man, think a bit.

Excess expenditures, probably people who couldn't say "no".

Just the idea that they took that deal in R.I. was an issue. I mean, given the amount of money they had to come up with on installments, without any actual income other than "more investement" it was a bad deal.

You are right on one count, they were blinded by their own egos.

There were so many financial blunders that were published I can't imagine how many more didn't get aired in public.

No, if they had a business manager he was bad. They didn't operate like "a true startup" and weren't fiscally responsible.

Business get started with less than $100 million. No business plan, taking on unecessary financial hardship without an income other than to borrow more.

Not smart.

Yep and I think they were basically running on Shilling's money.Think he put up 60 mill.Such a shame,the guy truly love's gaming,but made bad mistake's with the project.

Arya Stark

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    If I was given $100 million, I would run with the money, forget the MMO.
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    If I was given $100 million, I would run with the money, forget the MMO.

You're no fun :P

Arya Stark

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
    yeah i could,it would be a mix of elder scrolls, ultima online Renaissance , and element of steam punk not like elders tho. i and my friend discuss this on a daily bases.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Easily. First thing I would do is model it after FFXI. Then I would pick the brains of current and past players for input and proposed improvements. Then Poll to find good/acceptable changes Rinse/repeat till game concept is complete and well liked by FFXI audience. 

Group based gameplay. Extreme character customization. Guild Halls. $hi7 lists. Tabbed targeting. Chained skills(IE boiling oil>meteor=burning death)

Race>Discipline>Class>Specialization

All/Most skills will be capable of chaining (IE Web>Physical blow = Critical knockdown +Panic)but the best combinations will be cross Discipline/Class requiring multiple people. Imagine FFXI skillchains meets GW1 PVP. There will be counters to condition effects to avoid being chained

No shoehorning the skills. Players will have a lot of options to pick from.

The holy trinity will be absolutely necessary to advance. There is a vast difference in the damage/survivability of tanks and DPS. And Enemies hit very hard 

Less emphasis on HD graphics. The game will have high polygon but lower resolution resulting in a smoother but grainier feel to the world. Think hand drawn anime vs cell. It just looks better.

Open world, Open dungeons, vast landscapes, and an epic storyline.

No programming till the planning phase is complete.

Cross platform, All platforms in the same world. swapping skillbars with a controller will be easy. And there will be macros.

Game design will have Esports in mind with huge battlefields, and a complex skill system that rewards cooperation.

Hire MMO vets to help create appealing content.

No money. Gear is either found/crafted/or rewarded. This plays to the need to have and be a part of a great community

Originally posted by grndzro

Easily. First thing I would do is model it after FFXI. Then I would pick the brains of current and past players for input and proposed improvements. Then Poll to find good/acceptable changes Rinse/repeat till game concept is complete and well liked by FFXI audience. Group based gameplay. Extreme character customization. Guild Halls. $hi7 lists. Tabbed targeting. Chained skills(IE boiling oil>meteor=burning death)Race>Discipline>Class>SpecializationAll/Most skills will be capable of chaining (IE Web>Physical blow = Critical knockdown +Panic)but the best combinations will be cross Discipline/Class requiring multiple people. Imagine FFXI skillchains meets GW1 PVP. There will be counters to condition effects to avoid being chainedNo shoehorning the skills. Players will have a lot of options to pick from.The holy trinity will be absolutely necessary to advance. There is a vast difference in the damage/survivability of tanks and DPS. And Enemies hit very hard Less emphasis on HD graphics. The game will have high polygon but lower resolution resulting in a smoother but grainier feel to the world. Think hand drawn anime vs cell. It just looks better.Open world, Open dungeons, vast landscapes, and an epic storyline.No programming till the planning phase is complete.Cross platform, All platforms in the same world. swapping skillbars with a controller will be easy. And there will be macros.Game design will have Esports in mind with huge battlefields, and a complex skill system that rewards cooperation.Hire MMO vets to help create appealing content.No money. Gear is either found/crafted/or rewarded. This plays to the need to have and be a part of a great community

If I had a 100mil I'd give it to you sir.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    If given $100,000,000, I could not produce an AAA mmo... I would be too busy traveling the planet.