Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQ just nostalgia, or was it really that good?

Comments

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

At the time it was wonderful and great, but that was then. I am not the person I was then and few are.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

What made Everquest the standout that it is 14 years later is that it understood and embraced what the MM stands for. 

Everquest is the definition of social gaming.  

Everyone on a server knew each other, even if you hated each other and were competitors, you shared in each others successes and failures.

GMs were your friends, and a large interactive part of their communities. 

You needed others to move forward in the game, in all aspects, so your reputation was critically important.

The good gear was unique and rare enough that you felt pride not only in what you EARNED, but what you helped earn for your guild mates.

Nothing was easy, nothing was gimme, so that sense of self accomplishment truly instilled that feel good feeling.

Boss spawns were erratic so we kept call sheets, if a boss we were after spawned people would start calling everyone on their sheet to organize a take down. This took the in game, online friendships offline and into the real world.

Some of the best friends of my life I met playing Everquest, and 14 years later we still talk everyday.

There was a sense of vastness, a massive world that made you feel small and insignificant at the same time it made you feel connected and needed.

I remember when they first opened the plane of fear, everyone on the server had to run in and check it out, and they ALL died just inside. To get your gear back you had to loot your corpse. The call went out for help, the three highest on my server were all druids, quad-kiters, my druid, my friend and kiting partner tilolian, and our other friend bael. The three of us went in naked and kited around break in mobs while everyone else was about to come in loot thier corpse and organize portals out for those that could not gate.  

It was a community, where players helped each other and cared about each other.

Basically Everquest is all of the things that every game developer since has been too greedy or stupid to understand. Hence why most games have success for a month or less while Everquest has held on to a lot players for 14 years, and 16 expansions.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by psiic

What made Everquest the standout that it is 14 years later is that it understood and embraced what the MM stands for. 

Everquest is the definition of social gaming.  

Everyone on a server knew each other, even if you hated each other and were competitors, you shared in each others successes and failures.

GMs were your friends, and a large interactive part of their communities. 

You needed others to move forward in the game, in all aspects, so your reputation was critically important.

The good gear was unique and rare enough that you felt pride not only in what you EARNED, but what you helped earn for your guild mates.

Nothing was easy, nothing was gimme, so that sense of self accomplishment truly instilled that feel good feeling.

Boss spawns were erratic so we kept call sheets, if a boss we were after spawned people would start calling everyone on their sheet to organize a take down. This took the in game, online friendships offline and into the real world.

Some of the best friends of my life I met playing Everquest, and 14 years later we still talk everyday.

There was a sense of vastness, a massive world that made you feel small and insignificant at the same time it made you feel connected and needed.

I remember when they first opened the plane of fear, everyone on the server had to run in and check it out, and they ALL died just inside. To get your gear back you had to loot your corpse. The call went out for help, the three highest on my server were all druids, quad-kiters, my druid, my friend and kiting partner tilolian, and our other friend bael. The three of us went in naked and kited around break in mobs while everyone else was about to come in loot thier corpse and organize portals out for those that could not gate.  

It was a community, where players helped each other and cared about each other.

Basically Everquest is all of the things that every game developer since has been too greedy or stupid to understand. Hence why most games have success for a month or less while Everquest has held on to a lot players for 14 years, and 16 expansions.

Everquest was from a different era of the internet. Social networking and voice chat did not exist. Everquest was literally an interactive chatroom. That isn't the case anymore.

It's amazing though how people only remember the good things they had happen to them. They don't remember the kill stealing of rare spawns, the ninja looting of rare drops, or the trains people would bring to intentionally cause grief. It was not sunshine and rainbows. The drama between guilds was on an epic scale. Rose colored glasses seriously distort the reality of what Everquest was really like.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    I played these when they released and I have gone back to older MMO's, EQ, AO several times now and still find them enjoyable.  Their biggest drawback at this time is really their age and lack of bodies.  They really have this virtual world feeling to them, and their content was so large, and maps so big.  If they were redone exactly the same way with updated graphics and filled again with bodies I would honestly enjoy them more then modern mmo's.  In fact going back to this very dated and empty games I have still gotten more hours of playtime/enjoyment then many modern mmo's and there still is a community after all these years which really says something.  So to answer your question I'd say yes it really was good.  Do I think nostalgia plays some part, of course some but not the way you think.  I never played one older MMO so no nostalgia, I picked it up and played it and enjoyed it etc.  So i think the nostalgia comes not from the specific game, but more for how games used to be kind of thing.  They used to be larger, more difficult, more complex,  and so on, things like this are what many are nostalgic for.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Really that good, don't need to say more.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

For me, EQ was good and bad.

The Bad
    - I felt I had to group once I got past level 20 in order to do almost anything.
    - The crafting was good, but the ingredients for making quest items did not always make sense.
    - Trains of Mobs chasing other players occasionally jumping onto you.
    - Open world dungeons where 1 group screws up and kills other groups in the dungeon.
    - Plenty of boring quests.
    - Possibility of losing levels when defeated/killed.
    - Corpse Runs.

The Good
    - Slow combat.
    - Fun Grouping.
    - Many diverse classes. [15 at launch]
    - Many diverse races. [12 at launch]
    - Open world that fostered working together.
    - Mobs that chased you ALL over the zone.
    - Zone lines that saved your ass from the above.
    - Trains of Mobs chasing other players, making "being aware" a very good skill to have.
    - Actual Type Chat with NPCs through the chat window.
    - High Level aggressive Mobs in most low level zones.
    - Open World dungeons, allowing for multiple camp sites with multiple groups.
    - The chance of failure.
    - Many classes had abilities that other players needed to help them play more efficiently. [Buffs, tracking, ports]
    - Epic Quests.
    - Lots of interesting smaller quests.
    - Allocating points to train skills at a trainer when a character leveled up.
    - Attributes to define at creation.
    - LEARNABLE LANGUAGES!
    - The best Bard Class I have yet to play. Just the right mix of simplicity and complexity.
    - Corpse Runs.

You may notice that some features are in both categories. That happens :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

For me, EQ was good and bad.

The Bad
    - I felt I had to group once I got past level 20 in order to do almost anything.
    - The crafting was good, but the ingredients for making quest items did not always make sense.
    - Trains of Mobs chasing other players occasionally jumping onto you.
    - Open world dungeons where 1 group screws up and kills other groups in the dungeon.
    - Plenty of boring quests.
    - Possibility of losing levels when defeated/killed.
    - Corpse Runs.

The Good
    - Slow combat.
    - Fun Grouping.
    - Many diverse classes. [15 at launch]
    - Many diverse races. [12 at launch]
    - Open world that fostered working together.
    - Mobs that chased you ALL over the zone.
    - Zone lines that saved your ass from the above.
    - Trains of Mobs chasing other players, making "being aware" a very good skill to have.
    - Actual Type Chat with NPCs through the chat window.
    - High Level aggressive Mobs in most low level zones.
    - Open World dungeons, allowing for multiple camp sites with multiple groups.
    - The chance of failure.
    - Many classes had abilities that other players needed to help them play more efficiently. [Buffs, tracking, ports]
    - Epic Quests.
    - Lots of interesting smaller quests.
    - Allocating points to train skills at a trainer when a character leveled up.
    - Attributes to define at creation.
    - LEARNABLE LANGUAGES!
    - The best Bard Class I have yet to play. Just the right mix of simplicity and complexity.
    - Corpse Runs.

You may notice that some features are in both categories. That happens :)

A real risk vs reward system. When you could delevel over your stupidity and screwups you played a lot more carefully and thoughtfully.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Everquest was from a different era of the internet. Social networking and voice chat did not exist. Everquest was literally an interactive chatroom. That isn't the case anymore. It's amazing though how people only remember the good things they had happen to them. They don't remember the kill stealing of rare spawns, the ninja looting of rare drops, or the trains people would bring to intentionally cause grief. It was not sunshine and rainbows. The drama between guilds was on an epic scale. Rose colored glasses seriously distort the reality of what Everquest was really like.
    Not sure when or where you played Everquest, but I had max level character on two different server during the first 3 years of EQ, and almost never saw this sort of behavior.  Anyone that was known for kill stealing, training or ninja looting were branded as such and were not only unwelcome among any notable guild, but were blacklisted from just about any party as long as they played on that character.  The community was actually far more mature as a whole than it is today and held players accountable.  Not to mention the average player was around twice the age of those who play MMOs today as the level of competence required to play classic EQ was quite higher than it is for modern MMOs.

In fact, even on Rallos Zek where pvp was enabled, people were very careful about how they conducted themselves, knowing that if they were to act a fool, they'd end up having to reroll or live as an outcast.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

EQ was bloody good until Planes of Power expansion imo. While some of those planes were quite fun and interesting  it made for me personally most of the previous content obsolete. Also, raids started to feel like a chore instead of dwagon bashing fun.

Over the last 10 years I've started to dislike quest driven MMOs, the worst example being probably SWTOR. EQ had so many different techniques (feign death pulling for example) you had first to learn and then to master that current button masher games are just plain simple. 

Btw, I'm no way hardcore or something, I'd just want to play an MMO again that lasts for longer than 2-3 months ie a typical theme park.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Btw, I'm no way hardcore or something, I'd just want to play an MMO again that lasts for longer than 2-3 months ie a typical theme park.

+1 seriously

Originally posted by psiic

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    <long list of things>- Possibility of losing levels when defeated/killed.<More of that list>
    A real risk vs reward system. When you could delevel over your stupidity and screwups you played a lot more carefully and thoughtfully.
    I realize that :)

The straw that broke my back was when my Bard finally reached level 38. I was running from Oasis of Marr (killing aqua goblins), through the tunnel to East Commonlands, to train up my new skills when I could not avoid a Giant Skeleton in EC, very near the tunnel entrance, that rooted me and killed me in 3 shots. It was an ongoing Halloween event. I lost my level. That really pissed me off for it was not due to my stupidity (which happened plenty of other times in the game :) ). That with my Guild falling apart prompted me to quit for good.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Originally posted by koboldfodder
    What made EQ great was not really the game, though the game WAS great.  It was the community.  This was the first, and still the best in-game community.  You could not solo the game.  You had to join groups, your character took forever to level and you better believe you got a reputation, especially on the PvP servers.  There was no auction house.  You sat in GFay or Eastern Commons and were trying to wheel and deal your way to phat loot.  Those zones usually had a couple hundred people in them during prime time and whenever you hear people say "I want to the zones to feel alive" this is what they are talking about.
    What? I almost completely solo'ed on my Enchanter of all things. The Druids, Wizards, Magicians, Necromancers, and Shamans had it far easier than I ever did. Bards, Rangers, Paladins and Shadow Knights also solo'ed. The only classes that couldn't solo were the Warrior and Cleric and the Cleric could if you found a spot with nothing but undead.
    soloing was never the most efficient means of getting exp though, even for quad kiting pros.
    I think you are misremembering stuff. You could get a Wizard leveled to max in like a week. The only thing that was more efficient were AOE groups with nothing but Wizards and Enchanters.
    A Week? Really? Maybe 1 week's worth of time, aka 24 hours * 7 days = 168 hours. Or maybe this 1 week to max happened much later on in EQ's life...

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by rockin_ufo
    So that brings me to my question..was EQ just nostalgia or was it really that good of an MMO? Possibly a combination? Are the mechanics/gamestyle just too outdated for modern gamers?

People who did not play EQ aren't going to be able to answer your question rationally, nor are EQ people who did not play (GameX).

So ignoring any expected fanboy-style bashing, what you're left with is...praise from EQ players, right?

And not a lot of feedback from "departed in anger" EQ players?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    One of the things I think adds to the complication of a "redo" of Everquest is that the game was obviously designed around a lower population then what we are used to now. I think it was 150k subs? That's chump change for even the lowest MMOs now.

The best way to design an MMO is to aim for a modest amount of players.  trying to please everyone means you please no one.

Also, 150k isnt far off average if you throw WoW and GW2 out of the picture.

Exactly.. the only MMO to even capture a huge amount of players will, and always will be, is  WoW (for reasons unknown to me). Too many MMOs go all Pokemon and "Gotta catch 'em all" on consumers, got hit that bottom line yo. But when you go back and look at the most successful MMOs that is quite the opposite direction;

Everquest was made by one guy with a vision, he wanted to make a game he enjoyed and shared it with others with the same passion. Didn't like it? That's OK, it's just a game afterall. Guild Wars 1; same deal. Made by three experienced developers in their basement, but they made it as a game they enjoyed. Asheron Call 1; made by a dude in his garage and has some of the worst Netcode in exsistence, but again..made by a guy with a passion. Now look at their sequels, you see the same passion? Sure they tried to sell their passion, but you could tell by the dev speak what was going to happen.

I don't want to turn this into an Indie > Business. But businesses should take a page from the book of making a game for the player rather then the bottom line. That's what I feel what people want when they want to experience EQ again.

EQ wasn't made by one guy with a vision.  It was originally being produced by SISA (a subdivision of sony) after the despised (at least around these parts) Smedley secured the funding for it.  Eventually Verant was created and spun off from Sony.   Verant was a subsidiary of Sony and Smedley was in charge of the operation from the beginning,   He created it for Sony, a company derided for years on this site as one of the greediest and worst in the industry.

Edit:  I admittedly haven't looked into the backgrounds of the other games that you mention, but I do have a hard time believing that Turbine started out as one guy in his garage.

I don't really have much knowledge of EQ's developmenet, assumptions at it's finest eh ;)? Still, EQ was not made with money in mind..which was my underlying point. Asheron's Call 1 was made in a garage figuritively, just one lone guy. Atleast that's according to a friend of mine who was obsessed with AC, I've never personally played it.

Keep the discussion going guys! Good reads.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Dalanon
    Some of the mechanics and technical aspects are bad, but the overall gameplay and most importantly the fact that you needed your friends to do much of anything in that game, made it a much more memorable and fun experience.  It felt a lot more like I was going on a true adventure when I played EQ more so than any modern MMO I've played.

I agree.  I went back to the game a few months ago, and was surprised at how clunky everything was, and yet when I played it early on I absolutely loved it.  You can never go back.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Ok.. So here is the thing. You cant go back.. So asking if the game was really that good or if its nostalgia is like apples and oranges. In 1999 of course it was good.. I played starting with Ruins of Kunark and for 4 years after. I would play in 8 hour stints forgoing sleeping or eating at times. It was that addictive and that good. But this

"What made EQ great was not really the game, though the game WAS great. It was the community. This was the first, and still the best in-game community. You could not solo the game. You had to join groups, your character took forever to level and you better believe you got a reputation, especially on the PvP servers. There was no auction house. You sat in GFay or Eastern Commons and were trying to wheel and deal your way to phat loot. Those zones usually had a couple hundred people in them during prime time and whenever you hear people say "I want to the zones to feel alive" this is what they are talking about."

I remember talking to friends about people in the game that were literally famous. Anyone remember Fancy the Bard? Community played a HUGE part in the game development and the progress a player made. Not to mention actual events, (I'm thinking the ring wars here) where GM's had to work with players in order to orchestrate and organize quest completing events that entire servers would come to watch or participate in. It was a family.

The other thing was. It was hard.. I was lvl 48 like 5 times I think. People would laugh because people would /shout ding lvl 35 and then 5 minutes later you would see the same person /shout ding lvl 35 again. You got a sense of accomplishment when you actually got a level to the half way point because you knew if you died you would not de-level.

All in all.. I think MY point is.. Although there are elements that I would love to see in the new EQ game (and I will be buying it) you cant compare or even hope to have what you had before. Its not possible. Its like a classic car. Fun to have and look at but not practical in modern times.

Oh.. And if you played a DE Cleric you could solo.. :P It just took forever and you had to be very careful ;)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by plaxidia

Ok.. So here is the thing. You cant go back.

Every time another reboot is proposed (ANY title), we do tend to end up with the same discussions.

If you can get all of your original friends back onto a 1999 server... You might still face some ennui, you're all 15 years older. The difference between preschool and a son in college...yep, those are completely different dudes.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• superguitardudesuperguitardude Member Posts: 30
    First, Meridian 59 was the first 3D MMO, not EverQuest. To be honest with you, EQ 1 didn't really do much for me back in the day. I bought the Collector's Edition sometime in 2001 or 2002 and I just couldn't get into it (I think I mainly tried the offline part first). After playing Jrpgs, I found EverQuest to be fairly bland with uninspiring scenery. To this day, I still don't understand why so many people prefer all the 'realism' instead of focusing on the art style. I enjoy the isometric (dimetric) western RPGs, but some Wrpgs try too hard to be like real life.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I also find it odd people say "EQ was good up until X expansion" which always seems to vary from person to person.  Someone might say Velious, SoL, PoP, LDoN, or GoD.  I think this pretty much proves nostalgia plays a large part.  People consider EQ great up until the time they finally left the game.

If it's not nostalgia then why not go back and play old EQ before "X expansion ruined it" in Project 1999?  For most people here there is obviously something keeping them back from playing old EQ, because obviously they feel newer MMOs are better in at least some aspect.  They can tell themselves all they want how EQ was and still is the greatest MMO of all time, but they are kidding themselves if they still aren't actively playing it.  EQ was a good, no, excellent MMO for it's time, but it's seriously time to move on.  EQ was a classic, but the gameplay simply doesn't hold up to modern MMOs.

And for people actively playing Project 1999 it will certainly be more than nostalgia, but I think most of the posters here caught up in nostalgia aren't playing it actively.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I wouldn't call it nostalgia since at the time yes, it could have been that good. A lot of innovations have come out since then so if you're looking back and comparing it to today then it's good to realize that.

EQ for me had its good/bad but the sum of its parts was brilliant IMO and reflected what makes MMOs so great. A vast world to explore that focused on the journey (since it took so long to level) and had more group content than soloing. Of course you could solo but its wasn't as beneficial. It also left your activites up to you instead of constantly pointing you in a specific direction.

A lot of innovations have come along and that's great but have failed to provide the same type of gameplay listed above. With this in mind I'd have to say it was really that good. I say was because even EQ has changed somewhat, so the comparison is from when I played.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I also honestly believe mmos today hold your hand too much. ! Marks all over the place for quest, mini maps, some gamed even have autp pathing.....wtf I say. When i first played eq back when it came out....i was lost in Neriak (the darkelf town) for days. Then i fell into a hole by the bloody boar and was stuck until someone "shouted" back to me how dumb i was because i was crouching. Point being gamed are.way too.easy now and that is why they fizz out so fast, why there is no community anylonger, and why there is no more help from fellow players.....there is no need.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    In a further dose of irony , EQ in 99 could make the sun set and have it rain in game.

A 300 million dollar PoS like SWTOR in 2013 still can't manage that.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

In a further dose of irony , EQ in 99 could make the sun set and have it rain in game.

A 300 million dollar PoS like SWTOR in 2013 still can't manage that.

Great point.....sometimes its the small things that make the game.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

I generally thought it was mostly nostalgia that was a big factor for EQ, though after trying one of the emulator servers for it, I still rather like it. The things I do like about it are the lack of restrictions on who you can group with on the non PvP servers. I also actually like the lack of a map in the game. It forces you to pay attention to where you're actually going instead of looking at your map, pointing yourself in the right direction, and running forward til you get where you want. Finally I also enjoy the fact that the day/night cycle actually has a purpose. It actually got dark for some races, and some places it actually got more dangerous(kithicor). That I think is the big thing with EQ, was while traveling, monsters were actual potential dangers. 

Granted though, there are hassles. Like elite guilds basically "owning" certain mobs. Like a guild might "own" the Innukuruuk(however you spell it) spawn and no one really got a chance to fight him. Or Troll players(literally, though sometimes Ogres) could grief people in certain zones by sitting at the exit dooming you to death, or kill stealing a rare mob so they can have the loot.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Partially Nostalgia, but more so was just a solid game.

How many remember your first run from Qeynos to Freeport. Either through Highpass Hold and all the Gnolls, or through beholder Gorge and all the Eyes. Not to mention the Cyclops in the Karanas or the Hill Giants in the Commons. That shit was terrifying.
    No other game past or present has brought that kind of emotion to the game.

The community is what set the game off hands down. You had to group to get good experience. That meant it forced you to be social. Going into a Open World Dungeon like Lower Guk and doing Camp checks and getting excited because no one was at the FBSS Camp.

As a rogue, getting tells asking if you would come Corpse Drag someone, made some good money that way.

Playing jokes on Guild mates and hiding their corpse when they gave you consent to drag it.

Tell you one of my fondest memories..

I was a guide(Volunteer GM)and we answered player petitions. I was on Emarr server.
    There were two guild fighting over who got to kill King Tormax, he was a 7 day Spawn.
    I got the petition, I went to the zone. I pulled the two Raid leaders off to the side and tried to work it out. This went on for 20-30min with neither wanting to give ground. Finally with no other solution I asked if they would consent to a Random to see who kills it. They both Agreed. The guild who won was happy the other guild as you might expect was pissed. So I thank them for their time and wish them well.. blah blah blah.. I go invisible but Im still there. I see them still arguing over the kill and its going nowhere fast. Finally I got sick of it and said fine.. If you guys cant do this the right way, Ill take the kill this week. Targeted the Mob,did /kill and it was done. Both guilds were pissed but the following week they managed to work out a kill order. Only thing that sucked was having to explain to our server GM Jaydrox why I killed King Tormax.

Those were fun times.
    I truly hope EQNext will bring the MMO Genre to the next evolution in Gaming.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
This discussion has been closed.