Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoW: A Great Example of Why Sandbox Titles Don't Work in the West

14567810»

Comments

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    AoW can be a themepark and still fail because of the horrible animations, clunky combat and bad ui.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I just started playing AoW and absolutely love the game so far.   For the first time since the launch of SWG back in 2003,  I have "that feeling" of immersion and wonder that I've been missing for all of these years.  

What I also realized during my initial few hours in the game and from reading many forum posts, is that most of the current crop of MMO players have not and probably will not make it through the tutorial aspects of this game.   

This is a real shame because there is a ton of potential in this game but it seems that most will never get to see it because the tutorial is "boring." 

We see so many people on these forums clamoring for sandbox titles yet there is barely any support for this title.   Why not?   If you are so desperately seeking a sandbox experience, here's a great title to try.   The best part is that it's free, you just need to invest some time and patience to learn the game. 

Unfortunately,  I think a lot of players enjoy the idea of a sandbox style game but so far it seems that most can't or won't even play one. 

The thing is, I want a sandbox that isn't a half assed translated Asian mmo.  If it looks like a 5 year old is writing the text, sorry but not interested. 

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Besides being a half assed translation...it's NOT a sandbox game to me. I have read so may definitions of "sandbox". I can say that none count this game as one.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    Besides being a half assed translation...it's NOT a sandbox game to me. I have read so may definitions of "sandbox". I can say that none count this game as one.

Looking at the EQN threads. It is painfully obvious the majority of people on this site have never played a sandbox. 

Have you even played this game?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Malvious
    You know i am probably going to offend a lot of people saying this, but hey who cares right this is the internet. : today's mmo players are just to dumb to play sandbox games.

+1 lol

I don't know if they are dumb, but more so been feed themepark after themepark with EVE being their only option for a sandbox. 

They have no clue what a sandbox is. Asking for things like PVE servers, and gear drops from mobs.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by fldash

This game would be successful if the translations were good and the interface was Western.

End of story. Has nothing to do with sandboxes not working in the West.

I agree with this. Mostly I avoid Asian games all together, having had bad experiences with them. I think your post is more about asian mmo's not working well in the west as opposed to sandbox mmo's

Currently bored with MMO's.

Originally posted by ElderRat
    Originally posted by fldash

This game would be successful if the translations were good and the interface was Western.

End of story. Has nothing to do with sandboxes not working in the West.

I agree with this. Mostly I avoid Asian games all together, having had bad experiences with them. I think your post is more about asian mmo's not working well in the west as opposed to sandbox mmo's

I felt the same about every Korean mmorpg that I had played. I assumed all asian mmos were the same. I wouldnt touch them.

Wushu has taught me that China is as different from Korea as the US is to Mexico. I've stop saying "Asian games" lumping them all together.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Malvious
    You know i am probably going to offend a lot of people saying this, but hey who cares right this is the internet. : today's mmo players are just to dumb to play sandbox games.

+1 lol

I don't know if they are dumb, but more so been feed themepark after themepark with EVE being their only option for a sandbox. 

They have no clue what a sandbox is. Asking for things like PVE servers, and gear drops from mobs.

Lets not accuse us who enjoy PvE and Loot Drops as not having a clue.

My favorite Sandbox Game of all time: Asheron's Call, espoused the PvE portion of their game and another selling point was its dynamic loot system.  A system that was 10X better then any Diablo clone.

I do agree that a lot of people do not know the true definition of sandbox though.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!