Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN vs WildStar : Poll

Comments

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Would this poll be skewed by conducting it within the EQN forum where you could expect some bias rather than asking this on neutral ground such as "The Pub at MMORPG.com"?

Yeah I did think about that after I had posted it sorry.

I remember back when EQ2 came out I had purchased that game hoping it would be great .  But something was lost for me , so I purchased WOW and there was something special about that game that kept me entertained for years .

But in this case EQN sounds like it will be a sandbox and every sandbox Ive played had a lasting appeal .  While Wildstar is the usual themepark levelling game with end game raiding etc . While they have thrown in some nice gimmicks to make things a bit more fun in the end I feel I will just be raiding for gear .

While im EQN if its going to be a sandbox would be a virtual reality of the Everquest fantasy world therefore has no true end game just a lot of things to do .

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    I would be FAR more interested in Wildstar if it didn't look like a blocky children's cartoon.

I remember a bunch of peeps saying the same about WoW some years ago.  How'd that work out again?

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Grailer
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Would this poll be skewed by conducting it within the EQN forum where you could expect some bias rather than asking this on neutral ground such as "The Pub at MMORPG.com"?

Yeah I did think about that after I had posted it sorry.

I remember back when EQ2 came out I had purchased that game hoping it would be great .  But something was lost for me , so I purchased WOW and there was something special about that game that kept me entertained for years .

But in this case EQN sounds like it will be a sandbox and every sandbox Ive played had a lasting appeal .  While Wildstar is the usual themepark levelling game with end game raiding etc . While they have thrown in some nice gimmicks to make things a bit more fun in the end I feel I will just be raiding for gear .

While im EQN if its going to be a sandbox would be a virtual reality of the Everquest fantasy world therefore has no true end game just a lot of things to do .

I just happened to stumble into this post via the sites homepage 'Current Forum Activity' box, as I'd never been into the EQN forum itself. I had checked out Wildstar and looks OK, I'll have a look into EQN now so I can answer your poll.

I hope the game meets your hopes and expectations :)

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

EQN "might" have a bigger fanbase than Wildstar.

Uh....might?  You are comparing the Yankees to the Brewers...lol.  SOE is an online gaming KING.  It is THE company that started the whole thing with their blockbuster hit Everquest....which is still running, as well as its sequel.

I can promise you, for every one person interested in Wildstar there are probably at least 100 interested in EQ Next, even though we know almost nothing about EQ Next.

EQ Next has the lore, it has the SOE money behind it, it has the proven track record of bringing big numbers of people to the world of Norrath.....and it is, by Smedley's own words, going to be the biggest MMO sandbox experience, which is happening in a time where people are clamoring for a legit online world to inhabit, rather than "yet another themepark"

Wildstar will flat out flop.  It has everything going against it.  It is a themepark game, in an era that is totally saturated with themepark games.  It is a WOW clone in terms of its art style, in an era over run with WOW clones.  It has a tiny development team.  And, of course, it will be released near in time to EQ Next.

Call it Flopstar, because that is what it will be.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by muchavez
    EQN, i think everyone has had enough of themeparks that offer raids battlegrounds and dailies.

You're right, it's time we played a sandbox with raids, battlegrounds and dailies.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I'm hoping both are good.

But I wonder how different the poll results would be if Smedley hadn't used the word Sandbox in one of his  non informative,cryptic tweets.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Nothing is written in stone. I vividly remember when everyone thought that EQ2 was going to blow Wow out the water and that the choice between the two was no comparison (heavily in favor of EQ2). Then EQ2 launched and it was a huge dud and stayed a dud until they did a major overhaul to EQ2's gameplay which arrived too little too late and still the game had other issues, i.e. being cpu limited, along with having game engine with did not allow for character armor model modification for npc, etc. So until I get a firm and final launch release copy in my hands or read the launch reviews from players and several mmo sites about the game nothing is written in stone. For all we know both games may bomb horribly or do equally well, etc.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

Vanilla WoW had something magical for me.

So I will be giving Wildstar my money first.   I hope to have a real raiding experience again.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

EQN "might" have a bigger fanbase than Wildstar.

Uh....might?  You are comparing the Yankees to the Brewers...lol.  SOE is an online gaming KING.  It is THE company that started the whole thing with their blockbuster hit Everquest....which is still running, as well as its sequel.

I can promise you, for every one person interested in Wildstar there are probably at least 100 interested in EQ Next, even though we know almost nothing about EQ Next.

EQ Next has the lore, it has the SOE money behind it, it has the proven track record of bringing big numbers of people to the world of Norrath.....and it is, by Smedley's own words, going to be the biggest MMO sandbox experience, which is happening in a time where people are clamoring for a legit online world to inhabit, rather than "yet another themepark"

Wildstar will flat out flop.  It has everything going against it.  It is a themepark game, in an era that is totally saturated with themepark games.  It is a WOW clone in terms of its art style, in an era over run with WOW clones.  It has a tiny development team.  And, of course, it will be released near in time to EQ Next.

Call it Flopstar, because that is what it will be.

Given how poorly EQ2 performed I think only players form the pre-WoW era have a strong positive association with the EQ brand.

Though now that I think about it the Wildstar Vs. EQN match up is particularly interesting because you have the vanilla WoW devs once again going up against EQ.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    The reason EQNext gets my vote rather than Wildstar can be summed up in one word: NCSoft.

<3

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    This site is sooo rediculous, I could tell you the results before I opened it. OFC they are gonna vote EQN, even with the game having NO INFO ON THE GAME, but I mean these are the same people who paid for Mark Jacobs piss away their dollars for a crappy minecraft pvp clone.....
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I am much more intrigued by EQN. Wildstar is basically a scifi themepark and I am burnt out on themeparks and not really interested in scifi.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by lolunatic
    This site is sooo rediculous, I could tell you the results before I opened it. OFC they are gonna vote EQN, even with the game having NO INFO ON THE GAME, but I mean these are the same people who paid for Mark Jacobs piss away their dollars for a crappy minecraft pvp clone.....

Those who backed Camelot Unchained are people who want to pay a monthly fee, not exactly the type who would support a free to play game.

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I'm rooting for eq next . That being said, companies should really watch the next few months. With the new xbox and ps4 coming out. And the required internet charge plus the membership charges. Now you will never be able to use a used game without paying the company to play it... I see the potential rise in computer games again. I will never buy another xbox. And if ps4 has the same rule about re buying a used game to play. That will be dead too. But i would pay for three accounts for me and my kids to play... But not if its a pay to win game...
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by lolunatic

Don't really need much info on a game to HOPE it will be the best out of the 2 .

Of course I will be playing the best one , if EQN is a flop then hopefully WS don't let me down but I know what Im getting with WS and I really want to do something different which is why I hope EQN turns out to be the best.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Dont need WoW2...eqn it is...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

its always funny how player need to pick on camp and then bash the other one.

where is " both " button ?

• Wildstar is considered a AAA mmo?

graphically it looks like an indie from 2003...imo

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    The EQN advocates QQ tears are gonna taste sooo sweet when the game massively fails expectations.... like all MMOs, look no further than Neverwinter.  People gonna talk it all up being this n that or what it should be but when the final product releases it will be nowhere near what they envisioned.
  • Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43

I cannot give an anwser to this one yet, simply because we know almost nothing about EQN. I do hope EQN will deliver a different experience then Wildstar, a more sandbox open world game whereas Wildstar seems to follow the quest hub idea.

If this is true then both games cannot be compared, as they will be completely different from one another and I would try both of them.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Grailer

2 big AAA MMORPG's coming out soon .

Both heavyweight contenders for the title of #1 MMORPG .

I do not see Wildstar as a contendor for anything..

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I voted EQN.  I have no interest in Wildstar at present.  I'm not going to say it's a bad game, it could be the next big thing, the next WoW.  I'm bored of themeparks and need something which is a little bit different to the present norm.  Wildstar also appears to be a raiding centric game.  I don't raid and nothing puts me off a game faster than seeing so and so LFG with a gearscore of whatever.  Future content for Raid centric games is usually further raids, with the devs now and again throwing a bone for the masses. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I really don't understand what people see in Wildstar. The whole game looks to me like "have seen that, have been there already". So it's EQN which of course nevertheless might become a disappointment.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    do we really honestly belive EQn will release in 2013?
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Anthur
    I really don't understand what people see in Wildstar. The whole game looks to me like "have seen that, have been there already". So it's EQN which of course nevertheless might become a disappointment.

Yeah, I was kind of excited to check it out, due to other people seeming so excited about it.  So I read a little and watched some videos on it, and I don't really get it....It seems pretty soild for pretty much the same thing everyone else is launching for the most part.  I didn't see much to make me think I needed to get it. 

Havent seen EQN yet, and it may be the same way...Hopefully not.