Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Blizzard & Titan

Comments

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by BluntedJ

SERIOUSLY? Years after Titan's announcement, years after Starcraft came out and everyone still debates or acts all timid about what Titan is?

Listen...dollars to donuts...Titan = World of Starcraft (ok, Universe of Starcraft, or whatever).

Don't bother arguing. Why create a new IP? Diablo is too limited. It makes the most sense. And yet most of you out there are like "No!" - why, simply because you don't want to believe it? Simply because it would blow your mind?!?

You know, as an aside, I posted over a year and a half ago on another site about Titan = Universe of Starcraft. The author of the article was discussing what was going on with Titan at the time. He disagreed with my comment (which he is entitled to do), but his lame argument was that there was too much of a Korean fanbase for the "sport" aspect of Starcraft (a/k/a all those leagues). What a lame excuse - ahem, like those leaguesters won't make time for some Universe of Starcraft. Insane! Your dead mother is going to rise from the grave to play her some Universe of Starcraft - WITH GOOGLE GLASSES!!! I digress.

The Author is probably dead on - why release a competitor to WoW? Let me take it a bit further: Why not a) create all this mass confusion; b) make people think it's not an MMORPG Starcraft; c) announce that it is on hold and being restarted (more than once makes it sweeter); d) make people think Blizzard may be getting the "jitters" or is being plagued by that "sophmore second album" syndrome; in order to e) make insane amounts of money. This is classic!

The Author is probably dead on about another thing: it would make sense that Titan (a/k/a Universe of Starcraft) be more of a sandbox than a themepark.

Universe of Starcraft is not the greatest name, but you get the point.

Please bookmark this comment. Whenever it comes out I will have been right. And I will take $1.00 from each of you that disagrees. ;)

I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Great yet another fanboi that doesn't pay attention. It's not Starcraft or Diablo.. Its a whole new IP this information was leaked years ago.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

They are busy stealing everything people have liked over the past 5 years of MMOs, placing the Blizzard logo on it, and saying they did it first.

...that was very biased, but I hate what Activision did...

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I will be straight forward,i consider Blizzard to be an amateur operation.No way a giant like that with a huge money backing should be as inept as they are.

I know it is just my opinion but Square's console game engine for FFXIV puts out a nicer lookign product thaty anything Blizzard owns.Square made a new game engine they were not happy with,then set out to make another for FFXIV ARR.What has Blizzard done with all that manpower and money....NOTHING.

They licensed a game engine and probably found out their staff either can't handle it or the engine is not as good as they thought,so much for going second rate when Epic games has the best tools out there.Of course Blizzard could always make their own game engine.

While Square was busy releasing FFXI on multi platform which eventually included the Xbox a platform they really didn't want because of lack of interest,Blizzard was struggling to port SC to the console.They hired outside and still didn't like the result,why on earth didn't they do it themselves?I'll tell you  why,they are incompetent and it is much easier to fail and blame someone else,you also get out of the money sink as well if the developer can not meet the standards set.

You know what is really scaring Blizzard right now?The thought  of failure and media attention if they can't garner the same numbers that Wow did.Diablo was somewhat of a failure,it really seems to me that Blizzard no longer has their faithful wrapped around their finger.

Blizzard will be in for a big surprise when they finally release the game and it doesn't garner the attention Wow did.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Vorch

They are busy stealing everything people have liked over the past 5 years of MMOs, placing the Blizzard logo on it, and saying they did it first.

...that was very biased, but I hate what Activision did...

Wait, you hate that they made an MMO with all the good stuff? 

They never once stated they created everything. They just made everything better. So ya...lets hate them for that.

/facepalm

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

The Blizzard that made the classics many of us actually enjoy doesn't exist anymore, so really, who gives a crap.

Posters up thread are correct.  WoW is already a huge cash cow; they have no reason to try to replace it.

• roblvsallroblvsall Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Cataclysm, for me, was the end of WOW. I mean really, 40 plus dollars for them to take the same tired maps and what? Add fire? What a slap in the face of their faithful players. Their problem is that they do not do anything about the outdated graphics, but let's make an expansion STOLEN from King Fu Panda? They even ran out of ides! Shame shame! Head to Neverwinter and see what your missing WOW fans.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I just wanted to know what kind of MMO an experienced developer with nearly infinite cash could make.  Apparently, the answer is nothing.  Ten million subs rakes in around 150 million dollars per MONTH and they haven't even updated WoW's engine or graphics.  What a lazy company.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I will be straight forward,i consider Blizzard to be an amateur operation.No way a giant like that with a huge money backing should be as inept as they are.

I know it is just my opinion but Square's console game engine for FFXIV puts out a nicer lookign product thaty anything Blizzard owns.Square made a new game engine they were not happy with,then set out to make another for FFXIV ARR.What has Blizzard done with all that manpower and money....NOTHING.

They licensed a game engine and probably found out their staff either can't handle it or the engine is not as good as they thought,so much for going second rate when Epic games has the best tools out there.Of course Blizzard could always make their own game engine.

While Square was busy releasing FFXI on multi platform which eventually included the Xbox a platform they really didn't want because of lack of interest,Blizzard was struggling to port SC to the console.They hired outside and still didn't like the result,why on earth didn't they do it themselves?I'll tell you  why,they are incompetent and it is much easier to fail and blame someone else,you also get out of the money sink as well if the developer can not meet the standards set.

You know what is really scaring Blizzard right now?The thought  of failure and media attention if they can't garner the same numbers that Wow did.Diablo was somewhat of a failure,it really seems to me that Blizzard no longer has their faithful wrapped around their finger.

Blizzard will be in for a big surprise when they finally release the game and it doesn't garner the attention Wow did.

Do you honestly think they see Diablo as a failure? It was the fastest selling PC game of all time.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Do you honestly think they see Diablo as a failure? It was the fastest selling PC game of all time.

i bought D1,2,+3.... i will not buy 4.  D3 was an epic failure that only sold because of the good name the original Blizzard gave the IP.  Activision shot itself in the foot and it wont be really seen until they try to do a D4

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    The only reason they are rebuilding this game from the ground up, is because the current build couldn't support the payment/micro transaction model they built the game around. The only thing that has changed since the conception of Titan and now is the explosive popularity of F2P and the downfall of Diablo 3's RMT scheme.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Diablo 2 was still selling copies 10 years later. I doubt we will see that with D3 regardless of sales records. I do think Blizzard cares about retention rates and current playerbase considering the game is built around RMT:

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I wouldn't call Blizzard, "masters of design." I personally think it was being in the right place at the right time. 
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by roblvsall
    Cataclysm, for me, was the end of WOW. I mean really, 40 plus dollars for them to take the same tired maps and what? Add fire? What a slap in the face of their faithful players. Their problem is that they do not do anything about the outdated graphics, but let's make an expansion STOLEN from King Fu Panda? They even ran out of ides! Shame shame! Head to Neverwinter and see what your missing WOW fans.

Yes, because thats all they did with the 1-60 revamp was add fire...

Its funny how stupid most people make themselves look when bashing WoW, but its sad how many people actually believe some of it.

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99

I don't think that it's really fair to mention the fact that the original EQ had a sequel  in half the time that WoW has existed. In fairness, EQ2 launched just ahead of WoW, and that still has no sequel.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm a big EQ2 fan (played waaaay longer on that than on WoW), but it wasn't a well thought out statement to make.

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Blizzard loves WoW and wants that game to continue forever. How could Titan not be WoW 2.0 with top notch graphics and some major tweaks ?  
  • alysraalysra Member UncommonPosts: 9

I think Blizzard re-doing Titan because it is their last chance to shine again. As you know WoW keep going down (although I cannot see a better MMO in the market still, sad but true), D3 disaster, and I assume SC didnt work out so well as they are predicted (not sure about this one tho ^^), they need to have a new admiral ship to carry them on. I sincerely hope that Titan will bring new features to the MMORPG world, since WoW I couldn't find a game that I completely accept and love in every ascept. Don't take me wrong please, I'm not a Blizz fanboy.

But for god's sake, we are in 2013 and I still cannot see an MMO that attracts millions towards it (for a long time). GW2 was good yea but many people left the game before it has reached the first year. Rift is excellent game for casuals but horrible for hardcore players. I'm not even going to talk about SW:TOR disaster. NW is just like what I expected from Crypic and Perfect World companies etc and list goes on like that.

So as you can see we all waited for that game or this game, but we couldn't truly satisfied from any of them (yes I tried/played them all).

Now there are Titan, Archeage, EQ Next, Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online and Black Desert MMOs ahead of us. I hope that at least one of them will be enough to keep us entertained for years :) Thanks for reading, have a nice day fellow gamers :)

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86
    I honestly will never play any bliz game again, wow sucks balls, d3 sucked, sc2 was meh, im so over anything bliz, glad titan tanked.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I am not holding my breath for something I know nothing about. I buy all blizzard games when they come out so yeah I will get Titan or whatever it's called once it's released.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Im just interested to see what their idea is. They have resources and experience. Thats why i am interested in their approach and learning from experts on what the next move should be. Trying to understand that when also understamding the current market, helps to understand what nakes for expert ppinion or in orher words an investable idea. Once a person understands that it helps to make more useful suggestions.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• sirathsirath Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by Manolios

i think that if we take a different look maybe we can see better.

we all see the decline of wow subs as a half empty glass of water. maybe we must see it on the opposite. half full.

its obvious that there is a sub decline. but have you ever think that maybe is smaller than even they predicted? that after 10 years and especially after so many games released, with many of them as ''wow killers'' or at least huge IP's  (gw2, aion, warhammer, rift, aoc, swtor etc), even blizz would think that the decline would be MUCH bigger? tbh i my self believed that the decline would already be much bigger.

so, once again, why they have the need to release Titan? they still have the milking cow. maybe with less than 12m subs, but with as many subscribers as the sum of many other mmo's together and for sure a number that still brings them millions of dollars.

imho they dont feel the need to release a new mmo at the current time. they still dont feel the kind of pressure or money loss, to put in danger the money maker wow. and tbh i dont think that they will do it in the near future too...

This. This is what it's all about. Why take money (subscribers) from one pocket and spent money (develop) to put it in your other pocket? Blizz feels safer milking the cow at the moment.

Simple as that imho
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    So much QQ - you'll all be playing Titan like the rest of us you're all to scared to admit it.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by DonVadim
    I guess they decided to wait till all the upcoming sandboxes get released, so they can see if they do well and then steal the ideas from them. You know, just like they did with WoW. Copied everything that was the best in everquest and other mmos then just polished it and hyped with warcraft IP. 

Yeap.. That is how Blizzard works. They are extremely good in perfecting game ideas... but not good to create new game ideas.

And its not just WoW.. it is basicly everything.

Warcraft IP -> Warhammer

Starcraft IP -> Warhammer 40k + Aliens

Warcraft -> Dune 2

you get the picture.

The point is the next big thing might be some kind of sandbox. Minecraft was a huge success, but it is extremely indy, and not a MMO, and not a lot of game in it.. so they don't know how to exactly do a working sandbox formula.. as noone else knows at the moment. (and i mean for the mass market.. everything else isn't worth it for Blizzard)

With that said.. it might be something completely different in the end. (after another setback and reset.. and only Blizzard is capable of doing it.. to really wait as long as it is necessary)

Simple put.. you just need to look what is huge, or was huge?

LoL/Dota - Blizzard already is working on Blizzard All Stars.

Mobile, Iphone and Android + Facebook - Blizzard got Hearthstone

Call of Duty/BF3/FPS - well Call of Duty is from Activision

Minecraft - ??? (yeap, that one is missing) and very well suitable for a MMO of some kind. (And also the reason why EQNext is going Sandbox)

So they will already work on some ideas(taken from Minecraft), will wait what EQNext and other can deliver, what really works. And that might be their next MMO.

• joedankjoedank Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like Starcraft ghost all over again.
  • joedankjoedank Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like we have another Starcraft ghost on our hands. Who knows if this game will ever even make it out of development. WoW wasn't an amazing mmo it had one of the buggiest launches I've ever seen and people just put up with it because there was nothing else that interesting at the time. Blizzard has been pumping out nothing but disappointing games look at diablo 3...terrible and MoP and cataclysm were easy and trivial. I wouldn't expect anything great to come from blizzard. I'd bet Titan gets scraped all together.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

does anyone else think blizz is really just waiting for a "lull" into which they will introduce titan?

with a LOT of big deal games coming into being with much fanfare in the next couple years (A realm Reborn, Wildstar, New EQ, ArcheAge, New Ultima, new Camelot) maybe Bliz is waiting for a moment in the future to have the stage to themselves, so to speak.

the risk they run is that a lot of their potential player base might be already locked into their game of choice for the forseeable future... if the new games are good enough to retain them.

to me, the ball is really in everyone else's court right now as opposed to blizz.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins