Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Just Won - EQ Next & Planetside 2 Coming To PS4

Comments

• MithicorMithicor Member Posts: 23
    I bet this thread is all one big publicity stunt! ..... awwe you got me 8o(
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Oh fucking shit!! lol at you all getting hyped up over that EQnext. lol. what a joke!!!

Its a console/PC game. Those never are huge hits in the west now days. FF was the exception which was also from a different period.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

I haven't read every single post in this thread, so I'm not 100% if this has been mentioned yet, but I fail to see in either of those links where EQ Next being released on the PS4 is mentioned. In the 2nd link it lists what will be shown at E3, but that doesn't necessarily mean EQ Next will be on the PS4. No official announcement concerning EQ Next and PS4 has been made. Just because PS2 will be on the PS4 doesn't necessarily mean EQ Next will be as well..

I think we can all assume EQ Next WILL eventually be released on the PS4, but how is that a bad thing? Any news in the MMO community can be bad news. More potential players is a good thing no matter how you twist the facts. Get over it.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Oh fucking shit!! lol at you all getting hyped up over that EQnext. lol. what a joke!!!

Its a console/PC game. Those never are huge hits in the west now days. FF was the exception which was also from a different period.

You can count the number of MMORPGs on consoles with one hand.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    It doesn't say EQNext is coming to PS4 anywhere.
  • AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152

I don't know why this is so surprising. SOE said years ago that all future SOE MMOs will come to PlayStation consoles.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198595.html

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/03/sony-online-talks-dc-everquest-massive-action-game/

MTV Multiplayer: So you would say all of SOE's MMOs will appear on consoles from now on?

Smedley: Yes.

I don't really care one way or the other. There are positives to a PS4 version, and drawbacks. I'll only play on the PC, but x-compatibility will mean I'll get to play with old EQOA friends who refuse to play a PC MMORPG, and it also means I will get to play an MMO on my TV again (Pve, wouldn't dream of PvP with a controller, but then EQ isn't really a pvpers dream game either).

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

Taken from twitter

David Georgeson ‏@DaveGeorgeson @gogojira_ EQ Next will not be seen at E3. This does not mean that I'm not working my butt off for the show. After all..."franchise".

I think its safe to say that EQN wil not be there, and i doubt it will be on the PS4, as others have said, it was just on listed on a list of games, nothing stating it would be coming to PS4.

I mean Dave has even gone on record as saying it will not be shown until EQ Live! i am sure if they had changed their minds it would be all over sites like this being promoted.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Zolb

Taken from twitter

David Georgeson ‏@DaveGeorgeson @gogojira_ EQ Next will not be seen at E3. This does not mean that I'm not working my butt off for the show. After all..."franchise".

I think its safe to say that EQN wil not be there, and i doubt it will be on the PS4, as others have said, it was just on listed on a list of games, nothing stating it would be coming to PS4.

I mean Dave has even gone on record as saying it will not be shown until EQ Live! i am sure if they had changed their minds it would be all over sites like this being promoted.

Right

And the rumour started with Smedley trolling on Twitter again. 

The same way he trolled that EQNext would have permadeath, until the EQNext developer corrected him.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Another thing to keep in mind is that SOE is now controlled by Sony computer entertainment instead of Sony Pictures, so the likelihood of supporting a Microsoft platform exclusively and to the detriment of SCEs own platform seems rather nil.

Honestly it wouldn't have surprised me if EQN was a PS4 exclusive, thankfully Sony realizes there's a lot of money to be made with the PC version.
  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Smed critically hits EQNext. EQNext dies.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Ok so no where in those articles did it directly state that EQNext will be on PS4.  Just a list of games that will be shown at E3 and DCUO and PS2 being ported to PS4.

So all of you people losing your minds and burning EQN before it is even publicly shown need to calm the fuck down lol

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Mithicor
    mm I just read those articles ..... neither of them stated EQN was going to be on PS4 ... it just stated that EQN would be featured at E3 this year.... Which is suprising to me, since I thought they were going to reveal it at SOE Live on August 2nd

Yup. That's how I read them too. But the title of the thread wouldn't have been quite as catchy without EQN in there.

Not only would it surprise me greatly if EQN makes it to the PS4, it would amaze me if they reveal anything about it at E3 after they made such a big deal about keeping it secret until August.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Taken from twitter

Right

The same way he trolled that EQNext would have permadeath, until the EQNext developer corrected him.

Sorry but reading those tweets i would not think for 1 second that EQN IS coming to PS4 any time soon. - "possibility" does not mean it is, or will be coming to the PS4.

The only thing he confirms is Planet side 2 for the PS4.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

oh great I was looking forward to EQ:Next but now im not sure.. if its going to console that means it will have to have a UI that works with a game pad :(

its kind of a let down.. but still will have to wait and see.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Taken from twitter

..And, if it were going to be highlighted at E3 there would be a LOT of pissed off people who paid for (what they thought was) an exclusive reveal at EQ Live.

The OP has reading comprehension issues, and this thread has gotten ridiculous on speculation.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Taken from twitter

Right

Sorry but reading those tweets i would not think for 1 second that EQN IS coming to PS4 any time soon. - "possibility" does not mean it is, or will be coming to the PS4.

The only thing he confirms is Planet side 2 for the PS4.

Exactly.  ALWAYS take what Smed says as a half-truth or hyped spin.  It never pays to read a direct translation into anything that comes out of his face.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

Ok, so a big issue with DCUO was the fact that the game had to be shoehorned into the specs for the PS3.  That wouldn't be an issue now with the PS4, but $OE is not going to rewrite that entire game now to improve all the low performance issues that were caused by balancing the game to run on both the PS3 and PC. 

I'm not familiar enough with EQNext or Planetside 2 to know how they'll be affected by going console on the PS4, but they'll get dated fast when compared to console-only titles, as game graphics and performance usually improve quickly after the initial launch titles on a new console.  DCUO is already going to be dated right out of the gate. 

New MMO's being available on PC and PS4 won't be an issue at first, but in a couple years, when PC's have once again far surpassed the limitations of the console, you'll run into the same issues as they had trying this on the PS3.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

It's been confirmed that Planetside 2 and other Sony MMOs will be coming to the PS4 including EverQuest Next which will also be shown at E3 next week:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1952233/sonys_e3_2013_lineup_leaked_with_ps4_ps3_games.html

So because Sony goes PS4 and you actually think every MMO player is getting one makes Sony THE winner?

They first have to get rid of their 'MMO-killer' status and first develop a decent MMO worth to play without getting screwed as well.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by coretex666
    So EQ Next is gonna be a console game

Funny, you and i read the same thing.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx
    Originally posted by coretex666
    So EQ Next is gonna be a console game

Funny, you and i read the same thing.

"Every MMO player knows that consoles > beefed PCs at all times". :S

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AzartenAzarten Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Here's my guess, when Planetside 2 become available on the PS4 CCP will release Dust 514 on the PC.  Speculation aside it will be interesting to see how or if this affects Dust 514 moving forward.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Azarten
    Here's my guess, when Planetside 2 become available on the PS4 CCP will release Dust 514 on the PC.  Speculation aside it will be interesting to see how or if this affects Dust 514 moving forward.

No point doing that. PS2 has no effect on Dust 514! They not the same genre. PS2 is a MMOFPS.

Dust 514 is a lobby shooter set in Eve. Would be stupid to try to go against PS2 since they aren't the same genre. It's like having Skyrim go against WoW. Stupid.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah they're not the same genre, dust is akin to battlefield.

It's like comparing a co-oprpg to a mmorpg.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Muke, they have
    ps2 is best pvp mmo of last decade imo

Your going back in time to eve, daoc, shadowbane, ps1 etc.. for better pvp.

Now will eqn pull the same with pve, remains to be seen, but having an engine that supports huge environments will help, I doubt it will be a swtor style "boxed in" mmo.
This discussion has been closed.