Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Just Won - EQ Next & Planetside 2 Coming To PS4

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You don't need to spend 1000$ of dollars to out perform a ps4. A $750 pc should manage that.
    Nari
    Errrr planetside 2 is a pvp game, what pve?
    My nephew plays battlefield on the ps3. I showed him planetside 2 he nearly exploded his trousers. I can see it being a great launch title for the ps4, Microsoft won't have anything like it, and looking at the specs of the xbox one are unlikely to have anything like it in the future.
  • bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I agree with the OP.

Sony ps4 has MMos

Microsoft Xbox One has None so far.

For me that is the deal breaker. I will be buying a Ps4 at launch. I will wait for Xbox maybe next summer depending on how I feel.

I like playing my MMos on my PC but every once in a while I just want to lay down on my couch and be comfortable while i play all day on a MMo.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Do console shooters support mouse and keyboard already ? or only RTS game have that ?

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Here is the common tech balance between PC and console. PC gamers end up being shafted on updates because they keep the game scaled to the console tech that came out 4 years ago while the PC tech keeps progressive. 

So just don't play EQN for 6 years. Problem solved.

You cant read a graph, what about the lower standers set before hand? My PC is way up at the top and the game standards are already way lower. No thanks.

PC OS is much less efficient than a console. So when a console first come out, it does not perform worse than the average PC.

I am not spending thousands of dollars to get the top line gaming PC. My gaming laptop is probably not going to be as good as the PS4 ..and so will be the average PC.

You don't think every PC has the top performance, do you?

Im a IT guy... a mid range PC with good ram and an average video card with windows 7 will outperform most consoles. Spend 200 bucks on a mid range PC, ram and video card and it blows away all consoles. 1 year after PS4 is released it will be way behind PC specs. Unless consoles start letting up upgrade them. Add SSD drives, more ram on your own. It does not need to be top end to blow a console out of the water. PS4 will be no different. 

Thats before you take account of a dumb down UI for a console and the advantage a PC gamer gets with a mouse and keyboard. Or the other rout like DCU did where they made it even playing field by giving the PC gamer the same dumbed down UI. This is a lose all over the place. 

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Actually pc style shooters aren't a great fit for consoles.

Hence the introduction of console style shooters like cod that have very little verticality, and shoot from cover rather than run and gun mechanics.

Halo is really the first big success translating mouse/keyboard control to console gamepad console in a FPS.

Personally i don't like gun-and-run FPS anyway. The more tactical, the better. It is even better with powers, and stealth elements.

Uhm no that would definitely be Goldeneye for the N64. 

To me there are two great advantages to console games. 

First advantage, I have a really, really big HD screen in my living room, which im not nearly using enough. 

Second advantage is the fact that on console I can play from the comfort of the couch/bed. Sometimes when im lazy that is better then behind my desk. 

Major advantage for PC aside from the updating your graphics thing is:

- better control

- keyboard is really nice for chat, i don't like mass voicechat cause of the trolls, roleplaying and such i can't imagine on a console mmo

- ui mods, etc

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Personally i don't like gun-and-run FPS anyway. The more tactical, the better. It is even better with powers, and stealth elements. 

I bet many people on a MMORPG forum feel exactly like you. Most FPS players however... Well there are obvious reasons why they are not attracted to MMO's :-)

Oh, and ontopic: What exactly did Sony "win"?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

To me the best whats gonna be with an mmo on ps4 is :

no more bots /cheats /aim bots

no more gold selling spams in chat

Those are the 2 things that make a good mmo unplayable 

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Will be fun to have multi-platform mmo's
    Goldeneye is its own beast. It doesn't play like a pc shooter, it doesn't play like your typical console shooter either e.g. cod. Only simmilar style shooter is perfect dark.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by severius
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Sony seems to be becoming more flexible when it comes to their market place in terms of pricing and content released digitallywith PS4,so a lot of the barriers to MMOs on Sony paltforms shouldn't exist on PS4.Thus I would not be surprised to see third party developers as well as SOE bringing out MMOS for PS4.

If MS doesn't follow suit and keeps it's draconian practices in place it may well give the advantage to Sony.

Wow, didn't know the PS4 had already been released, and had been released for so long that pricing trends and corporate strategies were laid bare....

I didn't say it was released I am just stating things from the perspective of the PS4 reveal and what has gone on with digital content on consoles in the past.Which is why I used the term "SEEMS TO BE".

They said at the PS4 reveal that they had loosened up the pricing structure to be more Indie friendly so that they could name their own price on their games from absolutely free to whatever.

I would also take this to mean that MMO developers could then also release free content updates without the traditional barriers  Sony and MS have thrown up about such things let alone regular patching that MMOs need.

Reading comprehension and a little research is your friend.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Major advantage for PC aside from the updating your graphics thing is:

- better control

- keyboard is really nice for chat, i don't like mass voicechat cause of the trolls, roleplaying and such i can't imagine on a console mmo

- ui mods, etc

My issue is this:

- better control != more comfortable control. I prefer gamepad because it is more comfy.

- voice is much better for chat. Typing is slow.

• NokilleyeNokilleye Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by steelwind
    What doesn't make sense to me is that EQN is supposed to be a sandbox title. I just don't see the average console player interested in a sandbox MMO. I could understand if it was a themepark but I really don't think the console crowd is the right audience for a sandbox MMO.

Personally, I jump back and forth from console to pc and back.  I'm on the pc more often, but some games I prefer on console.  I'd love an expansive sandbox game on a playstation. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I think they lost their mind if they are making eqnext for the console,  Have they forgotten who their core player base is for eq and eq2.   LoL what a stupid thing to do. 

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I'm just going to drop this link here where the guy who basically built the PS4 explains all the inner workings and how they attempted to future proof the device.  Sony are not being dummies here.  Just look at PS4 vs XBone specs - PS4 is using GDDR5 while the XBone is still utilizing GDDR3. 

Anyway, Sony's really trying to be smart this time around.  The PS4 and PC will be much more similar to one another than in previous generations.  This is why the new systems also aren't featuring backwards compatibility - because they're built like PC's and aren't hanging on to original but largely poor ideas like "cell processors."

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

More on topic, the greater the variety of games that's available to the greater variety of people is always for the best. 

Steam: Neph

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    If ever there was a time for sega to come back into the console wars it is now, their old rival nintendo is pretty much dead and the other two consoles are like headless chicken with their direction.
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I think they lost their mind if they are making eqnext for the console,  Have they forgotten who their core player base is for eq and eq2.   LoL what a stupid thing to do. 

Who says they are going after their core players?

There are more non-core players out there.

It wouldn't be a wise business decision to get rid of your 14 year old fanbase. Who do you think will be attending soe live?

Here is the common tech balance between PC and console. PC gamers end up being shafted on updates because they keep the game scaled to the console tech that came out 4 years ago while the PC tech keeps progressive. 

So just don't play EQN for 6 years. Problem solved.

You cant read a graph, what about the lower standers set before hand? My PC is way up at the top and the game standards are already way lower. No thanks.

PC OS is much less efficient than a console. So when a console first come out, it does not perform worse than the average PC.

I am not spending thousands of dollars to get the top line gaming PC. My gaming laptop is probably not going to be as good as the PS4 ..and so will be the average PC.

You don't think every PC has the top performance, do you?

Also shooting for the mid ground has nothing to do with the quality of gameplay.  Smart designers design within a framework that allows the largest number of people to play.  Speaking only about the graphics, look what happened to EQ2.  When it came out most couldn't run it well, some not at all.  There goes a portion of your base. Like it or not, another game came out around the same time, platform agnostic, mid range graphics, tight design work.  How'd that one do?

Originally posted by nerovipus32

It wouldn't be a wise business decision to get rid of your 14 year old fanbase. Who do you think will be attending soe live?

not if you can get 10 times the business. How many players are left for EQ 1 & 2?

No one said it was console ONLY.  Why does it have to be this OR that?  This AND that is much better!  

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Alright you PC master race/console folks for we're going to dispell myths!

1. What makes a mouse and keyboard any more better than a thumb base stick system? I own one of the best kinds of mice for gaming possible, she's solid, she's fast and I have to lift that sucker off my mouse pad every sixteen seconds in a fps.

Why? Because mouse tech sucks for gaming. I know! I Know! Your friends say it's so much better and everyone you game with on the PC are declaring it the shiz. However you are all simply lying to yourself to appear superior. For you see as proven with CodMW 2. Console and PC gamers are equal. Thumbs are our primary tool manipulation tools. You just want to role play as though your leet table mouse skills are like real gun play and stuff! Because that's how you fire guns! From something sitting on the table and clicking with two fingers which are designed for.

Grip.

Yes that's right folks you are clicking with grip fingers, your dexterity sucks and everyone else does. This is why you feel like it's better. Your dexterity sucks because you aren't using the fingers designed to manipulate small objects into tools. You are a freaking monkey remember this.

I play all systems. I own them all and enjoy them all.

2. Controllers do not suck for gaming if they sucked for gaming chances are we wouldn't use controllers. Controllers are generally designed to be ergonomic as possible.

They are highly streamlined analogue hot key buttons. Simple as that. A controller and a mouse are not much different save the controller allows for...you to use your....THUMBS! THAT THING THAT MAKES YOU SO DANGEROUS LIONS WON'T MESS WITH YOU.

At anytime I can do just as much damage with my Razor controller as I can with my same brand mouse.

At anytime. Why? Because I'm not a snob and see's that any way is better, they are different control systems.

If anything the only system that I own that I can readily plug in a my gun casings into my controller is the WII. Just saying if you want to get technical the WII has the most realistic handling of "gun game" action. I tend to still play MW3 on the WII over all other systems.

So in closing all of you are wrong there is no better way, only different ways and even then the controller by far is most chosen gaming tool over mice. I mean historically..

So while you may feel you and your awesomely skilled mouse warriors/controller warriors are much better the truth is we all suck compared to that ten year old who can snipe you with his gun skills on the WII.

That's right the WII is hardercore than your pc games/other console games. Hows that feel?

Originally posted by Nokilleye

No one said it was console ONLY.  Why does it have to be this OR that?  This AND that is much better!  

Because the UI will have to be designed to suit console players.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by exwin

I'm not so much worried about graphics as fear them watering it down for console users. If they make the next version, a true successor to Everquest and then make it work on a console, then SUPER!!

However, cross platform usually scales towards the console user. Skills set up to be used in a couple of VERY repetitive button mashing.

kind of like mashing 12345 on my keyboard since WoW and onward

This discussion has been closed.