Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Just Won - EQ Next & Planetside 2 Coming To PS4

Hi All,

It's been confirmed that Planetside 2 and other Sony MMOs will be coming to the PS4 including EverQuest Next which will also be shown at E3 next week:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1952233/sonys_e3_2013_lineup_leaked_with_ps4_ps3_games.html

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

It's been confirmed that Planetside 2 and other Sony MMOs will be coming to the PS4 including EverQuest Next which will also be shown at E3 next week:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/dc-universe-online-and-planetside-2-coming-to-playstation-4

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1952233/sonys_e3_2013_lineup_leaked_with_ps4_ps3_games.html

I'm not sure about that.  MMO's are primarily the realm of PC's so it's a very open question about how popular these kinds of games will end up being especially if they have a PC option.

And besides all Microsoft has to do is release a new Halo at launch of their new console and it will eclipse both these games combined.

Not that I'm interested at all in either Sony or Microsoft's new consoles.  
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

MMO's that have attempted to crossover to consoles have left a lot to be desired for PC gamers, particularly in terms of the UI.

This will probably hurt EQ Next more than help it. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Sony seems to be becoming more flexible when it comes to their market place in terms of pricing and content released digitallywith PS4,so a lot of the barriers to MMOs on Sony paltforms shouldn't exist on PS4.Thus I would not be surprised to see third party developers as well as SOE bringing out MMOS for PS4.

If MS doesn't follow suit and keeps it's draconian practices in place it may well give the advantage to Sony.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    If EQNext is going to be on PS4, I'm now 99% sure it will be a game I won't want to play. They're going to have to cater to the desires of FPS players. Great. More instant gratification.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Everquest Online Adventures just called and asked if everyone forgot what happened the last time they attempted a console Everquest MMO on a playstation.
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by nethervoid
    If EQNext is going to be on PS4, I'm now 99% sure it will be a game I won't want to play. They're going to have to cater to the desires of FPS players. Great. More instant gratification.

Uh, i'm pretty sure they would shoot themselves in the foot if they marketed an online RPG for FPS players (who would be playing an FPS on the PC or 360 instead). Just because somthing can use a controller doesn't create lesser gameplay.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

There will be those who are satisfied with Halo and Gears of War and will play the X1.

But honestly, unless Microsoft has an AMAZING E3 this year, they are setting themselves up to have a very expensive voice-capable cable box.

And with the Wii U struggling, the PS4 only has to NOT suck or do something stupid to pull ahead this generation.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Darkarai79Darkarai79 Member Posts: 39
    curious now to see how EQN will play out. I'm still gonna play it being a huge everquest fan, hopefully they dont screw this up or i may have to stop playing games and spend the money on a stroker kit lol 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. It's unfortunate that MMOs have always been done so poorly on consoles, but that can also stem from poor mouse/keyboard support. Dust 514 has KB & M support now and from what I understand that is the preferred method of play. I think it would be foolish of Sony to try to port an MMORPG to a console without KB/M support, but I don't think they'd be that dumb either, would they? 

Let's see, right now they offer DCUO and Free Realms. Is there really anywhere to go but up? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MithicorMithicor Member Posts: 23
    mm I just read those articles ..... neither of them stated EQN was going to be on PS4 ... it just stated that EQN would be featured at E3 this year.... Which is suprising to me, since I thought they were going to reveal it at SOE Live on August 2nd
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    IMO they just killed the 2 games that u just mentioned but if you say they are winning, sure. See you next year at the same time crying about your playstation :U 
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Vorch

There will be those who are satisfied with Halo and Gears of War and will play the X1.

But honestly, unless Microsoft has an AMAZING E3 this year, they are setting themselves up to have a very expensive voice-capable cable box.

And with the Wii U struggling, the PS4 only has to NOT suck or do something stupid to pull ahead this generation.

Do you think Microsoft is doing this on accident?  They are trying to make the XBOX a complete entertainment device whether you want games, movies or other content.  I don't think they are interested in a pure gaming experience with the new device. They have bigger goals than this.

Whether or not that means the XBOX is the best gaming platform, remains to be seen.  It will likely be the best all-around entertainment device to connect to your TV though.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Interesting news and a big plus for Playstation 4 in general.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• ZaineUKZaineUK Member Posts: 6
    I wouldn't worry about the UI. FF XIV is doing a great job of having a Keyboard/Mouse UI and a Gamepad UI. Also does this mean PC and PS4 players will play on the same servers?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Dust 514, DCUO, EQ Next and PS2 are now all console games.

Now i guess people can stop pretending MMOs are better than console games because MMOs *are* console games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They must be doing separate servers for ps2, massive disadvantage using a game pad vs a keyboard and mouse (and often joystick too) setup.

What's interesting is with eqn, will it use first person controls, will it have integrated voice, could be a very different game to the first two. Mind I don't like eq2 at all, and EQ was great at the start but changed for the worse with expansions.
    Mind
    The trouble is, buy a new tv, the tv does all that xbox stuff anyway.
  • NokilleyeNokilleye Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by nethervoid

Because that's how it went with both Final Fantasy 11 and Everquest Online adventures.  Both games were solid MMOs and ran for quite a long time.  Both games were nowhere close to instant gratification.  If you want to see MMOs thrive allow them to be platform agnostic.  The wider the reach, the wider the base can be.

• enntenseenntense Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Can a PS4 display 100 people who are online elsewhere fighting a raid boss without taking a total shit?  Did they put a 2011 Intel chip at 5GHz, and a Titan video card in that thing?
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327

Add in Keyboard and mouse support and we are golden!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Assuming there will be keyboard/mouse support for the PS4 I don't think it actually matters.

"but it's coming from THIS box, not THAT box"

From what I hear the PS4 is more akin to a PC coding wise and therefore a better port for titles residing on both.  Just because it's releasing on the PS4 doesn't mean it won't be on PC.

• NokilleyeNokilleye Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I don't think this is a bad idea at all. It's unfortunate that MMOs have always been done so poorly on consoles, but that can also stem from poor mouse/keyboard support. Dust 514 has KB & M support now and from what I understand that is the preferred method of play. I think it would be foolish of Sony to try to port an MMORPG to a console without KB/M support, but I don't think they'd be that dumb either, would they? 

Let's see, right now they offer DCUO and Free Realms. Is there really anywhere to go but up? 

I used a keyboard and controller on both EQOA and FF11.  Hadn't moved over to PC MMOs yet and it worked just fine for me.  Went back and tried FF11 again, after several years on PC MMOs and still found it comfortable.  It's just a different way to play.  Doesn't mean it has to be inferior.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    IF this is true, this is the first thing I have heard about EQN that makes my hackles go up.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Looks like I'll be avoiding all new Sony games. I'm not a fan of the cross system games. They just never seem to be as good on PC when they are designed for Consoles. It seems Sony is more interested in getting as much traffic on it's console as it can. Thanks, but no thanks.

I reckon they will have to run ps2 at 720p on the ps4 and maybe knock the continent limit down from 2000 players too. The specs of the ps4 are lower than the recommended specs on the pc version.
This discussion has been closed.