Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

! am Done paying for..

psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I spend an insane amount of video games every year, not going to be specific but over 20k. 

However due to the fact that game developers as crooks and thieves has now become the rule rather than the exception, I have made a personal choice to curb my game purchases going forward drastically.

I am done with companies that have moved from selling us a 30 or 40 hour game for $60 to selling us a 10 hour game for $90-120 then selling us 3 5-10 hour dlc's for $20-50 each until we have gotten the same game we use to get as a single game.

I am totally and completely done with F2P games that sell these $200-300 founder packs. ( especially ones  asking the fans to please support them, then turn around a few days before launch and offer the same pack for less than half the original price and refuse to allow the fans and early long time supports to have the same value. )

I am completely done with games with item malls ( unless it is ONLY cosmetic items )

If a game studio needs to charge $20, $25, even $30 a month subscription to provide the players and fans a fair and level playing field then fine charge that and we will pay it, but I am done paying $400, $500, $1000 so 100k F2P players, that dont give a rats ass about the game or community can come in and ruin the game with bad attitude and exploiting.

They have invested no money into the game so they act however badly they want and do whatever they want with nothing to lose.

Yet, players like me who spend to support the games and the community  are treated like shit by the companies we are supporting, and if we get angry or make a complaint we get banned and lose the $400,$500.$1000 we have invested.

Personally I find what the industry has become to be disgusting, dishonest, and reprehensible.

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I agree.. It's disgusting.

It's good that some of the people who supported f2p starts seeing it for what it is, they're not making great games anymore, it's all about doing as little work as possible and cash in fast.

Sell it for 6x normal box price (founders), milk all they can in a short amount of time, and then let the game dwindle and hopefully be forgotten, so they can do it again with a new title, the next title then have everyone hyped so bad that they'll pay another 300 bucks for founders and beta access...

It's like a buffet for the suits, they can basically just take peoples money, it's crazy to watch, it's like gamers have become brainwashed zombies.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

um  I just don't know what to say to this  other than they must see you coming .

20k a  year on games seriously   you need to get a life 

i don't think i could even find 1k worth of games to buy  every month and then have the time to play them all

this  has to be a joke

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    While i do agree with you that these developers lately have been dishing us out garbage, 20k on games bro?? Your either lying or crazy.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    20k = a lot of call girls .... go outside enjoy that money elsewhere lol
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

333.333333333333333 quality $60 games.

Good Job and a nice collection ;p

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

I'm not going to spend nearly $4 a gallon for gas anymore. (when I started driving it was less than 70 cents)

I'm not going to spend over $3 for a dozen eggs. (about a $1)

I'm not going to spend nearly $2 for a bottle of water. (why would you bottle water? a gallon would cost 89 cents)

I'm not going to spend $1 for a candy bar. (35 cents)

Things are going to get more expensive whether you like it or not. Gaming is a form of entertainment. It should not be a way of life. You need to balance your entertainment budget and make choices between the quick games and re-playability. I still think that dollar per hours of entertainment, it is still one of the best commercial entertainment values that exist.

That being said, I think I spend about $2,000 per year with my online and gaming entertainment per year. And I think THAT is a bit expensive. But I am also including Netflix, Hulu, gaming sites, Xbox live, PS subcription, MMOs, etc. 20K? Are you buying a new console or PC every month?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Really 20k a year on games? that is utterly insane.. are you strapped to your computer or something..

Don't get me wrong i hate the shitty DLC and f2p culture in in MMOs but how on earth can you spend 20k a year on games.

I mean even if i was super rich i still would not spend 20k a year on gaming lol

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by zimboy69

um  I just don't know what to say to this  other than they must see you coming .

20k a  year on games seriously   you need to get a life 

i don't think i could even find 1k worth of games to buy  every month and then have the time to play them all

this  has to be a joke

It's alright to be jealous mate.. And assuming he really does have 20k to spend on games alone, per year.... This man probably have a life, and a rich one too.

And he didn't buy games for all that cash, he spend it in f2p games / founder packs / Item shops.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Gamers make bad decisions on how to spend their money.

Whilst you can lay some of the blame on publishers and developers for exploiting this, the main fault must lie with the gamers themselves.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by psiic

I spend an insane amount of video games every year, not going to be specific but over 20k. 

However due to the fact that game developers as crooks and thieves has now become the rule rather than the exception, I have made a personal choice to curb my game purchases going forward drastically.

I am done with companies that have moved from selling us a 30 or 40 hour game for $60 to selling us a 10 hour game for $90-120 then selling us 3 5-10 hour dlc's for $20-50 each until we have gotten the same game we use to get as a single game.

I am totally and completely done with F2P games that sell these $200-300 founder packs. ( especially ones  asking the fans to please support them, then turn around a few days before launch and offer the same pack for less than half the original price and refuse to allow the fans and early long time supports to have the same value. )

I am completely done with games with item malls ( unless it is ONLY cosmetic items )

If a game studio needs to charge $20, $25, even $30 a month subscription to provide the players and fans a fair and level playing field then fine charge that and we will pay it, but I am done paying $400, $500, $1000 so 100k F2P players, that dont give a rats ass about the game or community can come in and ruin the game with bad attitude and exploiting.

They have invested no money into the game so they act however badly they want and do whatever they want with nothing to lose.

Yet, players like me who spend to support the games and the community  are treated like shit by the companies we are supporting, and if we get angry or make a complaint we get banned and lose the $400,$500.$1000 we have invested.

Personally I find what the industry has become to be disgusting, dishonest, and reprehensible.

Where the hell are you buying these games and why the hell don't you shop someplace else?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I spend about 2k a year on games, and I think I'm bad.... But a lot of the games I buy are cut price, for example I just bought dungeon siege pack on steam for cut price. I've probably wouldn't of bought it for the full price.
  • slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

I slowed down on buying games years ago i may buy 3-5 games a year if that or i start up my gamefly sub for a month or two get caught up on the new games and move on i prefer games that i can sink alot of time in doing whatever this is why i still play Skyrim and i tend to rotate about 2-3 games around at a time so if i get bored play afew hours on other games.

hell buy some old games dirt cheap it helps i just bought Warhammer 40k dawn of war 2 games for around $13 bucks on amazon digital download spent damn near 100hrs between the two games.

i'm real iffy about buying games for $60 these days and i just spent nearly 2k this year on a custom gaming pc,monitor and speakers  and hell i just started playing GW2 last night again and playing Rift last week and i don't buy much of anything from the item malls. and i'm yet to buy a $60 pc game because the dev's have just been so stupid with features that just don't fit in some games and take away from say a single player experience just to appeas the masses that want stuff like multi player in a game like say Mass Effect 3 that didn't need MP to be a great game it just needed a better choice in endings but thats just an example on top of this a few weeks to a month later this game dropped from $60 to 50-40-30 cheap right ? well i got stuck for $80 bucks for the collectors edition because i thought the content would be interesting well the physical stuff not so much nor was the few extra in game things so this is the first and last time i buy a collectors edition to any game.

I do also own a PS3 and i have maybe 10-15 games total including digital downloads but i just haven't felt the need to buy much this year because the PS4 is coming out and i'm iffy about that too and its not like i have many friends to play with but not a big deal either lol. 

going back to the main issue stupid ideas for a company is selling collectors editions for way more then its worth like say some games that have abit of extra content and some physical stuff they charge $150 or more and time abit of time passes and BAM its down to like $100 bucks or less and you feel like a pretty dumb sucker for paying top dollar the week or month before. 

my last two game purchases  was Dragon's Dogma:Dark Arisen for $40 bucks disc & box thats all i got from it now thats reasonable deal and i had bought the original for $60 which didn't have the extra content and the dev's said the extra stuff in DA was supposed to be in the original release but they didn't have the time before the deadline and sold more content cheaper my other purchase was Dead Island Riptide digital download for $40 bucks which this was similar content to the first game with things like a new playable character and normal new in game stuff again good buy reasonable price. 

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Until the end of the year doing my taxes looking over CC and bank statements I really did not realize how much I had spent.

As for the money went in the Navy at 17, did 22 years and retired with full benefits and disability compensation.

I grew up dirt poor, in a cracker trailer in Florida, going to bed hungry many nights, so even when I was just getting started in my career I had a plan and direction.

I took advantage of every educational opportunity the Navy offered me, I took my paychecks in savings bonds, and bought my first rental property with VA financing when I was 19 years old. By the time I retired I had earned 3 degrees, owned 4 paid for rental properties, a car wash, and had everything I owned paid for free and clear.  

In the 90's I did have some crazy luck with my entry into the stock market. I had read this editorial on the very last page of my PC gamer talking about this small company called macromedia and this cool program they had called Flash and how it was going to change the world, at least the world wide web.  

So I made my first stock purchase 1000 shares of macromedia at $13 a share. A two splits and 10 years later macromedia is acquired by adobe and I dumped my now 4000 shares at a little over $40 a share.

I  have never considered myself to be rich or successful, I consider myself educated and blessed.

I made a choice early that when I had children they would never want for any of the things I never had as a child, they would never wonder if they were going to have a bed or be sleeping in the car again, and they would NEVER go to bed hungry.

Everyone out there has the same opportunities I had, I just chose to take advantage of them smartly.

That said, all of those $2 here $20 there item mall purchases, founders's pack, pre-orders, and kickstarters add up fast if you just have your paypal or credit cards pre-authorized and don't even think about the purchases when you make them.

I admit I am a game addict, but it is people like me that has made this F2P business model so lucrative to these asshats, and I am just letting them know I have finally opened my eyes and realized I HAD a problem.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by psiic

This is why I am going to play FFXIV because they have no intentions of ever going F2P.  They do not have investors to pay back for their game.  They invested their own money in the game and they will be willing to allow the game to make money back over time vs cashshop.  

Also after reading this article I now more than ever see a major shift coming in the MMO industry and see few and fewer games will be on the market over the next 5 to 10 years.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/OliverTeckert/20130530/193262/Next_Gen_Development_Beware_the_long_tail.php

"When a publisher says that next generation costs will be flat, I tend to hear “Don’t spook the shareholders; they are a nervous bunch”" is so true.  Investors are going to start becoming less and less likely to invest in new games and publishers will shut down games that are no longer profitable.  Even B2P, F2P and P2P games, if they are not making money we are likely to see them shut down. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I will say I think the box price of video games is fairly ridiculous.

Movies often cost as much and typically more than the cost to make a video game, yet I can get a ticket to the movie for $10 (or $4 on pay per view, or as part of my Netflix account). Yet a video game costs $60? I've gotten to the point where I won't buy brand new games because the cost is just not justified. Instead I wait for them to go on some kind of sale (or get old enough) to be $10. The amount of entertainment has lessened as the price has risen. I'd rather a company invest far less in making lense flares, more realistic explosions, and characters where I can see every wrinkle on their face and instead invest half of that in actual fun gameplay. However, we know that the flashy graphics are what keep drawing people in and making companies money so that is what we're getting.

I also feel that unless an MMO is truly B2P (no sub, no store) there should be no box price. Either a F2P store, or a subscription, but no box price.

You are exactly the type of customer that does make F2P thrive and is exactly what the F2P model is trying to do. It is trying to make it so there is no cap on the amount of money a player can spend in a month as opposed to a subscription where there isn't anything else to buy (unless you want to run multiple subs at once). And F2P games are targeting the high rollers who will pay $100, $500, or even $1000 bucks in a month. It is why so many of us still want subscription MMOs, 1 price equal footing.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    One of those whales we keep hearing about?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

20k? Exaggerate much?

You could by every new title released this year and you wouldn't come close to 20k.
    Now.. If your doing F2P and your buying all the stuff at the cash shops so you can sit in town and e Peen.. then that's your own stupidity.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Distopia

You can say that they're one of those whales that have allowed games (especially in the MMO Market) to blossom into the new type of product that developers are creating. Thank you OP you were one of the reasons for why this market has becomes so bad and thank you again for voting with your wallet.

Good point..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Wow that is a lot of money! I do feel what you are saying, but there are still some good gaming companies out there I have not been disappointed with the elderscroll games and fallout 3 was really good fallout vegas was buggy at firsrt but was still good. I think civilization 5 is a very good game for the cost my wife and I have both played over 50 hours each. So we payed 49.99 for the game and its expansions for over 100 hours of entertainment. 

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by PieRad
    I agree.. It's disgusting. It's good that some of the people who supported f2p starts seeing it for what it is, they're not making great games anymore, it's all about doing as little work as possible and cash in fast.Sell it for 6x normal box price (founders), milk all they can in a short amount of time, and then let the game dwindle and hopefully be forgotten, so they can do it again with a new title, the next title then have everyone hyped so bad that they'll pay another 300 bucks for founders and beta access... It's like a buffet for the suits, they can basically just take peoples money, it's crazy to watch, it's like gamers have become brainwashed zombies.  

No MMO developer or publisher "Takes peoples money" period. Only the idiots who voluntarily give their money to these businesses which have f2p or b2p business models attached with a cash shop are the ones who believe this tripe. In the end the burden of responsibility rests on the shoulders of the consumer/MMO player who willing embraces and plays these games given the OPEN nature of these business models where everyone know that prices for virtual goods and services can and will change at the discretion of the publisher or developer.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Distopia

I've never run into one of the whales until now.  I guess they do exist.

At least OP is admitting he has a serious problem.  I wish you the best in getting it under control.

I have no idea how you could part with that type of money on these latest craptastic games, even if you are very wealthy.  Maybe you were an optimist and hoped that they would turn out well.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I'm not really shocked the OP has spent 20k on collectors, founders and cash shops. If you can afford it then go for it.

I'm surprised it took you 20k a year to come to the conclusion the rest of us has realized spending much much less.

Better late than never I suppose