Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: First Person Concerns

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

First-person view recently made its Elder Scrolls Online debut in a new video floating around the interwebs. As excited as we are for the news, we've got a couple of concerns. Read on for our thoughts and share your own with us in the comments below.

We can tell you that the game feels like an Elder Scrolls game. Perhaps some of the video or information Zenimax has put out may do a decent job of convincing you, but it’s the appearance of the first-person view in this latest video that I feel will really sell that Elder Scrolls feel for the game. It looks good. Not having tried the mode myself, I can’t say with any certainty how faithful ESO’s first-person view will be to existing Elder Scrolls titles, but I feel showing this off will pique the interests of those who weren’t necessarily paying attention to the MMO up to this point. Digging through information or sitting through developers talking about the game just isn’t for everyone. It could be as simple as showing off that traditional Elder Scrolls view to get skeptics to sit up and pay attention.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Elder Scrolls Online: First Person Concerns.

Comments

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I have always had the selfish wish that they never implemented third person. It would make sneaking up on people possible instead of "I hope his/her camera is not turned around." With how good first person is looking I wish it were so even more.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote in this article. For one thing yes we don't know how it will feel since no one has played it yet publicly. But it will definitely be a handicap for PvP for those that "stubbornly" decide to stick with it (completely agree with that word choice as well - yes it is an ES game but it is first and foremost an MMO and the rabid fans need to just accept that).

I think it may also be a handicap in PvE as well. There will be mobs all over the place so being able to see all around you will be important not only in solo content but especially in group content. Not to mention being able to see fellow players in the game world. Plus if they make ranged combat a first and third person combo that not only has balancing issues, but it is NOT FUN.

Forcing people to play in a mode not typically found in traditional MMO's is a bad idea. Giving people the option to play in first person is one thing, mainly to appease the fans of the single player series. Third person combat however is an MMORPG staple and needs to be the standard form of combat for all classes and playstyles with first person being only an optional playstyle choice.

And before anyone throws the idea at me that the reticule targeting is a reason for first person possibly being a ranged requirement let me just throw TERA, RaiderZ, and Neverwinter at you to chew on.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I'll play devil's advocate.

I have found, in the single player game, that small rooms or hallways benefited from the first person view. In fact it was easier to fight and maneuver in close quarters.

It's possible that in pve, in ESO, one might find the same experience in similiar situations. In pvp it might be a benefit if one were to find themselves with their back against a wall or corner and where there is no  possibility of seeing behind you. Or even in a room. Not sure what their keeps look like but if players are forced to go through halls and rooms then switching from first person to third person and back again, could be a benefit.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I think it was a huge waste of time to work on adding this to the game, nobody will use once they see its pretty much a self-handicap. Oh well, the game is going to crash and burn anyway with some of the game breaking additions they are bending too, so why not add in first person also so you can see it c'n'b up close with your hands showing  lol. 

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87

Make it so in 3rd person, people behind you are not visible to the player and appear as they get in front of you.

Originally posted by Elbone

Make it so in 3rd person, people behind you are not visible to the player and appear as they get in front of you.

oooo  I like that.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I don't think that's an issue, as long as it is easy to switch between both modes of play.

In other TES games as well, I found myself switching to third person as soon as I went the melee route, but going with first person if I needed precision aiming of spells or my bow (or simply if I wanted to be immersed by the view).

If the option is there, the option is there. People will either use the most effective way to do things or they won't. It's a bit like keyboard turning vs mouse turning. One is clearly better in most situations, but a number of people still stick to something different.

And in this case, I think both modes will have their benefits.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Why? This is an MMORPG I'm sorry you'll have to accept that. If you take away the traditional third person view the majority of gamers will not play. You're lucky they put in first person view at all.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Never played TES games in 3rd person. Much, much more immersive and fun to roll 100% 1st person POV.

Only reason I am still somewhat interested in ESO is to see if they do it as good as Skyrim did.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I have found, in the single player game, that small rooms or hallways benefited from the first person view. In fact it was easier to fight and maneuver in close quarters.

It's possible that in pve, in ESO, one might find the same experience in similiar situations. In pvp it might be a benefit if one were to find themselves with their back against a wall or corner and where there is no  possibility of seeing behind you. Or even in a room. Not sure what their keeps look like but if players are forced to go through halls and rooms then switching from first person to third person and back again, could be a benefit.

Meh interesting idea but in games like Aion and GW2 and Neverwinter where you're often in close quarters in keeps or other such things, I don't find third person a problem at all. It still feels like a benefit to be in third person there and be able to see everything around you. Keep in mind that most interior spaces in MMO's are built for several players to be able to fit since the central idea is that you're playing with other people. It will never be as small as a single player game just due to basic game design requirements so sight will not really be an issue.

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    It wouldn't be that hard to code in lit up warnings on the edges of the screen with their "minimal UI' to help close the gap between first and 3rd person users, if someone is targeting you or shooting something at you just have the side of the screen its coming from turn red or something.  Really not that big of a deal, and I still pvp in first person in most games I play that have it and I don't suck so don't be surprised if you get owned by some first person players ppl.
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Why? This is an MMORPG I'm sorry you'll have to accept that. If you take away the traditional third person view the majority of gamers will not play. You're lucky they put in first person view at all.

Now now, there is nothing in "mmorpg" that makes it so one has to be in third person.

However, you are correct that some people would go nuts if they couldn't see all around their characters.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would probably pve in 1st and switch to 3rd for pvp.

Never played the tes games (or fallout3) in third person, the animations are so awful.

Meh interesting idea but in games like Aion and GW2 and Neverwinter where you're often in close quarters in keeps or other such things, I don't find third person a problem at all. It still feels like a benefit to be in third person there and be able to see everything around you. Keep in mind that most interior spaces in MMO's are built for several players to be able to fit since the central idea is that you're playing with other people. It will never be as small as a single player game just due to basic game design requirements so sight will not really be an issue.

Actually in ESO, I did find one time I was backed against some shelves and the 1st person would have helped. As it was, the camera sort of gave me an odd angle and I had to spam buttons just to get in a better place as I could barely see stuff.

One could also make a plausible argument that they needed to fix their camera.

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48

I have come to realize that I greatly prefer third person over first person, in MMOs and in single player games too. Yes this means I will miss some probably good to great games, but I just like to watch my character in full gear walk and run around a game world. Paradoxically it makes me more involved, instead of less.

So I really am glad that Zenimax hasn't gone first person only (like Mortal Online, for instance).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I dont see how his idea will not make it an mmorpg anymore?  All he said was make other characters visible based on your characters field of view so neither first person or third person view will have any advantage or disadvantage over the other.  And it will still be a massively multiplayer online role playing game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Since most MMO's heavily emphasize collecting equipment, running around in 1st person, where you cannot see your avatar's equipment, is not something most people do.  Secondly, as was mentioned in the article, hard to tell someone is hitting you from behind in a MMO unless you happen to turn around noticing that your health is going down.

Personally, I usually play their games in 3rd person view, as 1st person is a bit disconcerting.

Actually in ESO, I did find one time I was backed against some shelves and the 1st person would have helped. As it was, the camera sort of gave me an odd angle and I had to spam buttons just to get in a better place as I could barely see stuff.

One could also make a plausible argument that they needed to fix their camera.

Yea that sounds like a camera issue. There was another game recently that did some weird things with the camera, I want to say it was TERA?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I never play a mmo in fpv, i think the TES(non mmo players) gamer's will be in for a surprised lol.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    I always wantet play fpv mmo:) its give more realistic feel.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    One feature I dont get why they are spending money on. 1st person works great for somethings in a MMO but not combat. This is one area TES fans did not do anything good by pushing this into production. This has taken quality dev time that could have been used on MMO content, as this is a MMO.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    One feature I dont get why they are spending money on. 1st person works great for somethings in a MMO but not combat. This is one area TES fans did not do anything good by pushing this into production. This has taken quality dev time that could have been used on MMO content, as this is a MMO.

The devs are more to blame than the fans honestly. Fans always ask for things that are bad ideas. It's up to the Devs to be able to differentiate between good ideas that should be pushed through to make fans happy, and bad ideas that will hurt the game. It certainly doesn't bode well for the future of the game - I wonder what other silly fan requests they'll give in to. Fans don't know what they want until they see it in action and it either fails or succeeds and then two months down the line they realize it was good/bad.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    The Elder Scrolls fans have a right to protest these types of things, they dont want to see the game end up like SWTOR.  They want ESO to be like ES and I dont think they are wrong or crazy for that and the people that arent ES fans your opinions dont matter on the subject because youll be gone after the first month anyways. Im still on the fence but if they make this game to be a 'traditional mmo' with just an ES skin it will fail hard.
  • codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    It's a lot more immersive and enjoyable to explore the world in 1st person view, in the video, the combat did look same as in skyrim, so it's not the greatest combat but it's good and enough for me. I know PvP is going to be better in 3rd person, but that's also a taste for somebody. Somebody prefers 1st person in the whole game, or someone prefers 3rd person in everywhere. But I think 1st person makes the world look more interesting. I haven't read all articles about ESO, but I hope they are aiming for more towards PvE than PvP and it has the endgame, but it's better if it's not something like GW2.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I don't understand the issue, If you like first person for certain situations, use it.  If you don't then stay in 3rd person. Players don't like options?

You can go in and out with a quick scroll of the wheel.

I don't understand why this is even a debate?

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com