Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What one thing can give EQN the greatest chance of success?

13»

Comments

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by TheRealFantomex

They need to create what they intended and have stated, a sandbox based in Everquest. If they stick to their vision and don't allow outside influence to dumb down the game, they will be fine.

MMOs are changing. I don't believe any developer believes they can draw the 10plus millions that WoW did at one time. Those days are gone.

If at the end of the day the produce a game they are happy with and they can make some profit, it will be a success in their eyes.

This x1000.

Smedley has made this statement clearly and will be held to it. Let's see if he/they can actually deliver.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Arclan

What one thing can give EQN the greatest chance of success?

Dont let SOE develop it!

Simple as. They are their own worst enemy. They destroy every game they release with their stingy development and money grabbing agenda.

Every game released since PS1 & EQ has been an absolute flop, with the exception maybe of PS2. How smedly still has a job is beyond me..

---

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

This x1000.

Smedley has made this statement clearly and will be held to it. Let's see if he/they can actually deliver.

The problem of course being that the word "Sandbox" has to be the most subjective none specific word meme in the MMO community these days. I am pretty sure every one defines "Sandbox" as "games I like to play" and "Themepark" as "games other stupid people like to play". Smedley hasn't revealed anything except that he is acutely aware of how hip and cool that word is.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Originally posted by vesuvias
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

This x1000.

The problem of course being that the word "Sandbox" has to be the most subjective none specific word meme in the MMO community these days. I am pretty sure every one defines "Sandbox" as "games I like to play" and "Themepark" as "games other stupid people like to play". Smedley hasn't revealed anything except that he is acutely aware of how hip and cool that word is.

Developers also seem to have different ideas of what a sandbox is.

To me a Sandbox is a world you can effect by your own actions, ie build buildings, cities,100% player based economy (no vendors). But the only way this system works is in an open PVP environment, as eventually all the room would be consumed (look at SWG). Also adds the opportunity for player faction PVP. Darkfall did this really well, too bad AV suck.

and for the love of god. No instanced bullshit! its gotta be on a persistent world otherwise theres no point (see aoc's fail).

---

• giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Margrave
    It might sound goofy, but it needs to be able to run on a variety of hardware ages. When WoW launched it had low requirements, and practically anyone could run it. This is a must. The hard part will be looking good while doing that.

No it doesn't because if or when it launches on PS4 you can buy a PS4 for much less than a High end gaming PC and run it well being the PS4 specs are med to high end PC specs which is better then 90% of the worlds PC's.

Hell just plug your monitor and Keyboard into the PS4 and get rid of your low end PC lol.  One of the features seem really cool on the PS4 the Share feature which would kick ass for EQnext. Playing your toon a certain way or building something etc record it and instantly stream it to your friend to help them or learn something while you play. Hell can't figure something out let your friend take over playing on his machine while he is recording it and stream the video back to you showing what they are doing instantly. For MMO's that should be in all of them as a feature. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Zero coverage on this site. Less people to complain about it and say that it "failed" before even coming out. 
  • darksaber8570darksaber8570 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Originally posted by Nilenya

Mechanics that enable true server communities to arise. Communities reaching far beyond that of a guild, but rather creating an atmosphere where guilds compete and cooperate in real time for various pve objectives. I am thinking of the non instanced end game pve, that required guilds to compete the spawn, where server unique communities automatically created rules for the behaviour involved, which couldnt really be bent without ruining the guilds reputation on the server. - These things have no clout in games where everything can be done in guild without any other guilds affecting your own. It has an impact however when the people in your guild, rely on others in order to do other pve things outside of raiding. - With non instanced dungeons - players from guilds that dont adhere to the social rules on the server, get trained, camped or just not invited to groups. - Its only a small part of what creates a meaningfull living social community on a server.

Also, the game needs to have character longevity beyond that of hunting end game gear. There has got to be something other than title or jumping puzzle achievements - again EQ1s very elaborate and meaningfull alternate experience system would be great. It gave a character strength and value beyond the gear they were wearing, in  a real way rather than a cosmetic one.

It should take time levelling a toon. And the toon should have lots of oppertunities and almost require the need to group in order to explore their classes abilities and in order to best maximise experience gain. - I remember very fondly grouping at kunarks castle in DL in EQ1, and spent hours and hours camping mobs in groups chatting the time away while gaining exp. - It could be a revolution in mmo gaming to turn back to the era when players had time to communicate with eachother during pve. The twitch type gaming we have these days and the racing towards levels, really slim down the actual experience of socalled social gaming.

Which leads to; Unique classes ftlog. - Dont give us the same abilities, or abilities that have different graphics but basically do the same thing. Dont create classes around what might be easy to balance pvp around. Create them for what might give a new experience and contribute unigue things in group settings, regardless of the class you play.  Also, I would like very much to see a toon that basially only does buffing and crowd controll. And I'd like healers who cant spec away to dps solo exp. And tanks who cant do dmg like a dmg dealer. - Bring back the social aspects, and expect to force it with the class designs untill people learn or remember why the oldschool games are still so vivid in our minds.

Well put my friend.... i could not put it any better than what you said here...  Well written !

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    If it was a new version of EQ vanilla! But it is Sony and we know what they want.
  • actionreactionactionreaction Member Posts: 82

I'll tell you why it will be a failure to me, and how it could succeed honestly.

(NEWEST SONY MMORPG) So I downloaded and installed the game 2 days ago and played for the first time, my first impression of the game is its a good game, unlike TERA I had no UI bugs, and the game looks and plays better than Never Winter, IMO Dragons Prophet is better than both. However my Feeling for Dragons Prophet while the core game seems to be optimized and good as in Quest system looks neat compared to most F2P Titles the game isnt Free 2 Play, well it is technically however from my experience the game is Pay 2 Enjoy meaning you have to spend money to enjoy the game if you are like me. 1. So I put in $20 to buy some cash shop items pruchased armor suit and then tried to color it only to find out that I have to pay more SC to unlock 1 color at a time guys do the math here there are 757 colors based on what the color library says it costs 45 SC to unlock one single color that is 34065 SC, and 5000 SC = 45 USD which means you have to spend $315 USD to unlock all colors if you want full customization like I do, and no way that I have found within 2 days to unlock without paying Real Money. I have already given them a subscription worth of a Monthly sub but they don't really give me any customization at all. ( This is assuming you cant unlock the same color twice or anything.) 2. Unfair PVP, and PVE, Basically from what I have seen you can loose gear form PVE which means that in order to protect your items you have to pay in either Shells, or Station Cash for protection, this creates a bridge between people who don't play vs people who pay now you can get these for  free 600 shells for 7 days is best offer, and assuming its like Runes of magic and 10 shells per daily quest it would take 6 days of doing daily missions just to get 600 shells which means you have to login every single day do 10 daily missions or risk loosing gear if you die, VS station Cash of 950 or $10 USD just for item protection. 3 Graphics somewhat suck, Female Character Models somewhat suck looking at their skin it doesn't look realistic on parts of it it needs to be improved, not to mention the graphics bugs I found in game which should have been fixed during closed beta and reported it. Bottom Line, my opinion of this game is the game has potential but here we go with Sony + RuneWaker ruining what could be a great MMO by GREED, not worth playing if you are like me save your money for a better game, If they don't provide changes to these aspects within the next couple of weeks I quit the game not even going to be playing it as my primary game now going back to DarkFall with an Equal Playing field tired of Pay 2 Enjoy & Pay 2 Win games.  

EQ Planes of Power, AA System, and "development staff leaving and SoE changing the "vision"  

SWG ~ We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base. There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves.

Here how the might succeed

Raph Koster saw the Star Wars fans as co-designers in the development of the game: actively courting them from the project’s conception, sharing design docs and getting their feedback at every step of the way, designing a game which was highly dependent on fan creativity to provide much of its content and fan performance to create mutually rewarding experiences within the game. Here are some of the things Koster did right in courting Star Wars fans: 1. He respected their expertise and emotional investments in the series. 2. He opened a channel of communications with fans early in the process. 3. He actively solicited advice from fans about design decisions and followed that advice where-ever possible. 4. He created resources which sustained multiple sets of interests in the series. 5. He designed forms of game play which allowed fans to play diverse roles which were mutually reinforcing.  

• darksaber8570darksaber8570 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Go back to the their roots what made EQ1 great. Stay away from that f2p or buy the box no sub nonsense. Let it be subscription that way there it no advanatages given out. Make PVE content hard as well as leveling.

Make us earn our level and our gear.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

IMO, having servers of varrying difficulty allows EQN to appeal to the broadest possible player base:

1. Regular servers
    2. Difficult servers
    3. Hard core servers - sign me up for this one. note, NOT permadeath lol.

What one thing do you think could have the greatest beneficial impact on EQN (besides marketing, of course)?

Good try, but the ONLY thing that will give EQN the best chance is if SOE were to finally get a damn clue and give John Smedley his pink slip!  Get rid of him and maybe, maybe EQN will be a success.

• actionreactionactionreaction Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Latronus

IMO, having servers of varrying difficulty allows EQN to appeal to the broadest possible player base:

1. Regular servers
    2. Difficult servers
    3. Hard core servers - sign me up for this one. note, NOT permadeath lol.

What one thing do you think could have the greatest beneficial impact on EQN (besides marketing, of course)?

Good try, but the ONLY thing that will give EQN the best chance is if SOE were to finally get a damn clue and give John Smedley his pink slip!  Get rid of him and maybe, maybe EQN will be a success.

+1 LATRONUS, WINNING.