Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should there be hunger in an mmorpg?

Comments

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Hunger would be great in a Vampire MMO.

Yeah it will probably play a huge part in World of Darkness from CCP
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by benseine

In this weeks behind the scenes edition of Gloria Victis the devs asked the fans if there should be hunger in Gloria Victis. A medieval sandbox mmorpg that aims for realism and low fantasy.

Would you like to see something like this in mmorpgs?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=599578913400599&id=352162408142252

Thirst and hunger works perfect in DayZ so yes would nice in sandbox seeking food and water so you stay strong.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

If sandbox emphasizing survival? Hell yes, if done right its great in keeping players needing to create ways to survive and breaking up their tasks giving them another challenge to fill in. You NEED things to do in a sandbox, and while you can call it 'tedious' having to eat is one of those, giving something to 'work' towards in order to mitigate the need to worry about basics and 'progress' so to speak. 

To often sandboxes neglect survival and as such it just becomes a massive brainless gank fest with little thought behind it. Having elements involved to actually derail that can help to mitigate the 'stupid' 'ganking for no reason is totally meaningful pvp' bs to some degree. 

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Definitely not, unless its part of the game itself.

That means, if you would create a Sims MMO, then yes. Because the whole game would be about daily needs, and hunger would be another variable to juggle and it would relate to the other factors.

In a standard adventure MMO though such earthly needs do NOT add to gameplay. Instead, they distract from gameplay, and they are repetitive and pointless. Thus they are out of place and should definitely be left out, because they make your game worse instead of better.

Remember, this is a game. Realism just for realism is completely pointless. Dont fill your game up with garbage that nobody needs. Instead, strive for a great gaming experience.

• BlecodBlecod Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I like the idea.
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    @Adamantine. Isn't exploring a big part of mmorpg's? It's not just about pvp or pve combat. Managing food or water and maybefinding it while exploring could make exploring so much more interesting. Wouldn't you agree?

Note: Gloria Victis will have ranked knight tournaments so if you are not in the mood for exploring but just want combat it is right around the corner so to speak.
  • BlecodBlecod Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I dont like the idea of spending money for sub.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    No, I hate the hunger idea so much.  It made minecraft such a pain in the ass.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    I don't need my avatar to stop and urinate so I feel "engrossed"; no thanks.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I do.  I want him barf after drinking to many brewskies too!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

And that is not where ANYONE was really going.  We were talking your character having to have food in the game, which is every easy to implement, a minimal distraction for a major plus in immersion.

But, like all contrarians on this site, you go to the extreme of implying that waste elimination must be included or else you can't have food in the game.  It's the old "either North Pole or South Pole" argument, without accepting that there is a whole world in between.

Why wouldn't you be content with purely cosmetic food. For instance, there's food, you just don't have to eat if you don't want to. There's no benefits for eating nor any penalties for not eating.

Would you be happy with that?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• However if the game is about monster killing and exploring dungeons, hunger becomes a chore. Chores do not add depth. They are a nuisance.

Actually lots of good dungeon crawling games have hunger in them. My favourite RPG of all time, Ultima VII, also has food. I've never really seen it as a chore in that game. It's just another resource to pay attention to. There's also plenty of sources of food. You can buy it, you can make it, you can steal it or you can hunt for it by killing deer or cows. It meshes in really well with the game which has an incredibly detailed virtual world.

Someone also mentioned it would add a lot of UI elements to have stuff like hunger. Ultima VII is just one of many examples of this not being true at all. When a member of your party is hungry he'll simply say that (scrolling text over his head appears which may say something like "I'm a bit hungry.") and if you look at his stats card there's a knife and fork icon on it.

Legend of Grimrock has a hunger bar on the character sheet and simply puts a small debuff icon over the character portrait in the main UI if he's hungry.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I'm going to say no.  I recall playing Xyson and there was hunger and thirst in the game and as a new player it seemed all I did was gather food to keep from starving, or run down to nearby creeks/lakes to drink, which took considerable time just to execute once you got there.  It wasn't very fun after a short time.

I even remember playing Ultima VI if I recall correctly and being annoyed that my party of adventurers had  to carry food and eat regularly, seemed like they were always asking for a snack break.

So count me out, while I do favor more virtual worlds, we can skip things like potty breaks, getting haircuts, taking showers along with eating/drinking to survive.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You, I can go to Yellowstone park to camp, and I'll have to deal with suncreen, bugspray, filtering drinking water, cooking, pooping, and other basic hygiene issues.  And the overall camping experience will be IMMERSIVE.

Or, I can sit at my computer and look at pictures of Yellowstone, and not have to deal with suncreen, bugspray, filtering drinking water, cooking, pooping, or any basic hygiene issues while I browse.  And NONE of it will be immersive.

Some basic inconveniences are part of the price we pay for immersion, and in an MMORPG, the fact that your character carries ever-depleting food rations is part of that immersion.  And a very good part.

Now, in an MMORPG, we may not have to go to the extremes of including bathing or waste elimination.  And, any food ration treatment can be treated simply with your supply auto-depleting over time.  But the fact that your character must attend to food grants just a little more immersion to the gaming experience at so very little cost.

I mean, your character is living in the world, right?  Food is a part of fantasy literature, and a very good part, so why not have it in the game.  Food, ale, a warm fire; all that stuff is bread and butter for fantasy.

You just named all the reasons i much prefer to look at Yellowstone pictures on the web instead of going there. Immersion is not good fun when it makes me miserable.

And in MMORPG, there is no reason to pay any price if we don't want to. It is a 100% artificial environment that is build to entertain. Nothing more nothing less.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is amazing every topic ,i keep  pointing to >>>FFXI.

Food is very important and done quite well.You have choices from simply padding base states like STR or INT or VIT or boosting attack or defense or accuracy.The only sneaky thing i don't like is the way FFXI and many games hide the real way not only food but how stats work.Example you see a boost like 25% attack but in reality you might see 5-10 more damage,some times even less all because the way the formulas are done.

I did not like the total flip flop that say EQ2 does where food is predominantly only effective after battle,very unrealistic.You should feel the full effects of food for as long as it affects you after eating it.

Games are already bad enough with so little supporting the fact we are playing ROLE PLAYING games,so imo the more the merrier.

I would actually be supportive of say you sitting down for 5 minutes to eat a full course meal that gives better effects and lasts longer.or you have CHOICE you could simply pop a cookie or cracker and gain less effects and lasts a shorter time.Personally i like the way FFXI does food,it just seems to balance out and feel effective but not over done,the way heal pots are done in games which is ridiculous.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    Im a virtual world supporter but food I eat in RL my virtual self would not need it cause me the real self has eaten.
  • xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    unless the game has a deep emphasis in survival, it's trivial...
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I loved playing fallout new vegas on hardcore mode (altough had to mod it to make the hunger/thirst meter to actually matter) so i'd say yes.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Anyone who's played the Sims and has had to micromanage eating and going to the bathroom knows this is a really bad idea and not a good slippery slope.  Of course, those same people have most likely walled their Sims in, given them TONS of water, and watched the hilarity.

I mean, your character is living in the world, right?

Let's just say there really aren't many people quite as hung up on "living world" as you are, and leave it at that.

Games are not psychodrama to me. They're just escapism.

My avatar is not a real boy. He's got a number of features that remind me, always, that he's made of wood.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Yes - as long as offline time does not count.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

And that is not where ANYONE was really going...But, like all contrarians on this site, you go to the extreme of implying that waste elimination must be included or else you can't have food in the game...

Exactly. Hunger/Thirst has been a part of RPG gaming since its invention. I neither want to exclude that, nor add more vulgar aspects (excretion, reproduction, 30-day-female-cycles, etc.).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan
    Exactly. Hunger/Thirst has been a part of RPG gaming since its invention. I neither want to exclude that, nor add more vulgar aspects (excretion, reproduction, 30-day-female-cycles, etc.).

Yet...following his own chain of 'immersion', you can arrive at those end points just as easily as the eating end point.

Understand everything he's saying, and everything every other eating fan will say (this debate is 20 years old, after all).

Just don't need it.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Arclan Exactly. Hunger/Thirst has been a part of RPG gaming since its invention. I neither want to exclude that, nor add more vulgar aspects (excretion, reproduction, 30-day-female-cycles, etc.).  
    Yet...following his own chain of 'immersion', you can arrive at those end points just as easily as the eating end point.

Understand everything he's saying, and everything every other eating fan will say (this debate is 20 years old, after all).

Just don't need it.

I don't recall those items coming up for debate, ever.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

This discussion has been closed.