Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Interview

Comments

• RadixoRadixo Member Posts: 5

He did not say there will be a cash shop, he replied yes to a question whether there will be vanity item store. This probably is a real-money store but it can be just in-game for all we know. Also he said it will have cool pets and stuff and when they jumped in and talked about funny hats he said he did not say that will be in. To me it sounds like a blizzard pet/mount store and that has almost no effect on the gameplay.

So don't jump to conclusions there will be an awful cash grab store aka neverwinter.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ghorgos
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    Don't forget the 150 hours is per faction. And after you finish yours, you can spend another 150 hours doing 50+ content in the second faction and then an additional 150 hours doing 50++ content in the third faction.

I'm reading 150 hour for all quests in the game not 150 per faction. But even 150 per faction is nothing special. I've spent much more time playing other MMO's without having enough tme to finish all quests. In 5 years of EQ2 i still had tons of open quests and stories to discover. Its like a whole magnitude of difference between thoose mmo's and eso.

Yeah, same goes for vanguard in the last six year, plus that game has never had an expansion since release.

450 hours is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

(...)

• Elder Scrolls is not about e-sports.
      (...)

love that part :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Originally posted by crasset15 Are racing games selling cars for real money too? Sounds like a decent genre to switch to.

http://kotaku.com/this-might-be-the-most-expensive-pre-order-ever-509681260

Not quite what you meant, but still...

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Originally posted by crasset15 Are racing games selling cars for real money too? Sounds like a decent genre to switch to.

http://kotaku.com/this-might-be-the-most-expensive-pre-order-ever-509681260

Not quite what you meant, but still...

Holy crap... xD That's crazy!

I'm reading 150 hour for all quests in the game not 150 per faction. But even 150 per faction is nothing special. I've spent much more time playing other MMO's without having enough tme to finish all quests. In 5 years of EQ2 i still had tons of open quests and stories to discover. Its like a whole magnitude of difference between thoose mmo's and eso.

So watch the interview because he definitely says 150 hours per faction, nowhere does he say that all quests in the game take 150 hours to complete. Also I would say quality over quantity, so they should avoid the massive grind and high travel overhead quests that exist in the older MMOs.

Originally posted by Radixo

So watch the interview because he definitely says 150 hours per faction, nowhere does he say that all quests in the game take 150 hours to complete. Also I would say quality over quantity, so they should avoid the massive grind and high travel overhead quests that exist in the older MMOs.

450 hour is still nothing and if you think ESO wont have massive grinding then you are kidding yourself.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by crasset15

Cash shop...

This tells a lot about what they expect from their game - The game is not good enough to sustain itself without a cash shop. They want as much of your money in the first few months as possible, before people realize it is just another clone and start leaving. If Zenimax knew it was a good game and really engaged players, they would go B2P or B2P+P2P only.

You do realize that B2P actually implies having a Cash shop, right? GW2 as the most popular B2P game has it. Same goes for WoW (P2P game), with it's vanity pets.

Just because others have done it doesn't mean everyone from now on will have to do it. They most likely will anyway, since this genre has turned into an endless money grabbing cycle of low quality games.

I somewhat agree with your statement about low-quality games.

But, how woud you plan to return your MMO investment, if you opt for B2P game without cash-shop? Look at the Skyrim units sold and revenue here. If TESO sells the same amount of units as did Skyrim on PC (1.4 mil.), it's not very likely  they will get much profit out of it, without the cash shop.

How to get a return on an investment for MMOs;

1. Cut down costs

a) out source tech like servers or even computers for programming at high development stage

b) Hire people with experience, and therefore cut down cuts on flip flopping and productivity is directed with a clear vision. MMO/multiplayer or themepark/sandbox.

c) buy an engine, and dont develop one from the ground up. It takes more resources, but I am sure royalties are annoying, so maybe steal an engine and rework to look likes a separate engine.

2. Streamline development

a) create tools which allow developers to make content efficiently. This is related to engine development, but an engine is more about stability and performance and not how easy it is to make content on it.

b) Management is independent, and proficient and can develop content without someone interfering. Perks of not sharing an IP to a franchise.

3. Design

a) design a game that allows for content to be generated that is what the target market wants in not just MMOs but also single player games. So this also means making fun content, but quick enough.

b) copy pasta with small differences. Dont re-invent the wheel. There is a lot of good ideas out there. Take the good ideas and make them slightly different and add some unique ideas as well.

c) Differentiation. Look at certain MMOs are similar and try to differentiate. Almost every MMO has some kind of limitation. The easiest one I can think of is variety in quests and how to lvl. If ESO focused on offering variety to the lvling experience instead of treating quest mechanics as simple kill this and get exp, they will do well. 

Or something completely different allowing players to control small armies of NPCs.

This can cut down on costs by simply looking at the market and knowing how to develop the game from a business perspective and not just from a gut feeling, or a misinformed top exec whim.

Thats pretty much it. They could do this in cutting costs, and focus on developing the right kind of content, and just enough marketing to get enough money, but with enough content coming out after release then the game will succeed. They key factor is really just have enough fun content, and also it is differentiated and also easy for them to make.

Personally, I think adding things like e-sport is easy, and is extra content. It should be in. There should be mini games as well like gambling games, racing games, and bounty hunting. There should be player created content as a basic feature introduced into the game soon for mini game creation and mini game customization, and even creating quests.

I think ESO should introduce the culture of each faction very strongly into the game that it resonates very well and distinguishes among the factions in their motives and is displayed with clothes, story, and events of celebration which can also be raided for example.

ESO is trying to be unique, but I dont see enough in terms of questing, culture development, open world, and even pvp. So I feel if they took my advice and included as much content as they could, and gave it their own twist.. they would do better than trying to be 'unique'. Its not difficult to develop mini games/duel arenas/bounty systems etc... but it adds a lot of value to the game. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    1. ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
    Why Call it an Mmo then?
    1. Completing every quest in the game currently will take approximately 150 hours based on internal testing. Dungeons, PvP and such is not included in this calculation.
    Another quest grind, like we don't have enough of those "mmo's" already.
    So many will have it beaten quickly. Ugh, again??...
    1. PvP is territory-based, not arena-based.
    Glad to hear this part , sounds good, sick of arenas and being stuck in a battleground and that being called pvp. BUT if the main pvp area is like GW2 so called pvp area...No thank you.
    1. Elder Scrolls is not about e-sports.
    Glad to hear this part , sounds good, sick of arenas and being stuck in a battleground and that being called pvp.
    1. "Yeah, we’re working on our end-game PvE right now, so yes it will be large group-based. But don’t think World of Warcraft-raids, because Elder Scrolls doesn’t have 50 foot tall gods that you go fight against, it just don’t, it’s not what we do. So it will be different, but it will be group-PvE. We might not call it “raid” but it’s definitely endgame group-PvE."
    Sounds good, but will it still be the same old gear grind for end game? End game shouldn't be just a gear grinding mess, should be fun like our older mmo's were ... Ultima Online, Asheron's Call...why don't they make good mmo's anymore, ugh....
    1. There will be a vanity item store. Honest-to-god-Firor-quote: “You can’t have an MMO without cool pets and stuff like that…
    Doesn't bother me as long as it's things like mounts/pets.....

There's not many mmo's I'd get excited about these days, so this game goes to the "Wait and see pile, like the rest of the mmo's for this year and next". I just don't trust the so called "mmo's" of today's times to hold my attention for more than a few weeks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Wow, error posted multiple times.

Dark Age of Camelot

Again?

Dark Age of Camelot

And again :(

Dark Age of Camelot

450 hour is still nothing and if you think ESO wont have massive grinding then you are kidding yourself.

450 hours of questing is nothing compared to what? Are you comparing leveling content to the amount of time you spend grinding endgame, because that is hardly relevant. If we assume that the leveling will be at least slightly more similar to skyrim than standard MMO that is a lot of above average quality content for the group of players they are aiming at with this solo content.

Also if ESO will have massive grinding as you just said, it would not be in the quest department because how could they only take 450 hours to complete?

Originally posted by Radixo

450 hours of questing is nothing compared to what? Are you comparing leveling content to the amount of time you spend grinding endgame, because that is hardly relevant. If we assume that the leveling will be at least slightly more similar to skyrim than standard MMO that is a lot of above average quality content for the group of players they are aiming at with this solo content.

Also if ESO will have massive grinding as you just said, it would not be in the quest department because how could they only take 450 hours to complete?

Again, 450 hours is still nothing, if you think ESO wont have massive grinding like every other MMO on the planet, you are kidding yourself.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

AvA(alliance vs alliance) is a major focus of the game.That doesn't require constant addition of content.

That's why DAOC has been around for 11 years despite some very poor leadership.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Well it doesn't have Arena nor does it support any kind of e-sport.. a positive to be sure. 
  • SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Thanks for the interview information. 

I haven't really been keep tabs on this game lately, but from what I'm hearing about it I like it

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Radixo Originally posted by SavageHorizon 450 hour is still nothing and if you think ESO wont have massive grinding then you are kidding yourself.
    450 hours of questing is nothing compared to what? Are you comparing leveling content to the amount of time you spend grinding endgame, because that is hardly relevant. If we assume that the leveling will be at least slightly more similar to skyrim than standard MMO that is a lot of above average quality content for the group of players they are aiming at with this solo content. Also if ESO will have massive grinding as you just said, it would not be in the quest department because how could they only take 450 hours to complete?
    Again, 450 hours is still nothing, if you think ESO wont have massive grinding like every other MMO on the planet, you are kidding yourself.

and who the hell expected it not to be a grind as an mmo? 450 hours of pure questing is actually quite a bit compared to other mmo's that first launch.

its not like the only thing you do is solo quest, unless that's all you want to do.

my question would be, how beneficial is it for your character to go do the other factions pve content at max level?

personally, i am not going to do it just to do it. if it doesn't make my character stronger i would rather just roll an alt i think.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

This is making FFXIV and Archeage look that much more appealing.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    1. ESO was primarily designed as an Elder Scrolls multiplayer, not a full blown MMO.
    Why Call it an Mmo then?
      .. its clearly saying (primarily designed) They changed it on the way and Decided to change it to MMO maybe?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    Why Call it an Mmo then?
      .. its clearly saying (primarily designed) They changed it on the way and Decided to change it to MMO maybe?

Actually Matt Firor in an earlier interview declined to call it an MMO, referring to it just as an online RPG. 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Anthur

Thanks for sharing.

Things that concern me the most are 150hrs of quests and primarily not designed as a full MMO. Hardore players will finish the quests in less than 2 weeks, the more casual crowd probably in 2 month max. Doesn't sound like the next longterm MMO, more like the usual short time MMO. But we will see...

That sounds like the standard as far as I'm concerned.  I haven't played a game in a long time where there weren't mex level players within the first two or three weeks.  I don't know why this would worry you at all.  If you are a normal person with real life responsibilities, this will likely, as you said, take a few months.  That's pretty normal.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

Actually, I just watched the video.....

It is definitely 450 hours or more of questing..Also, he spoke about a cash shop, but he only referred to vanity mounts.  WOW has been doing this forever. This is nothing new. Blizzard just didn't call it a cash shop. They called it Battle.net. 

Good interview though. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Cash shop...

This tells a lot about what they expect from their game - The game is not good enough to sustain itself without a cash shop. They want as much of your money in the first few months as possible, before people realize it is just another clone and start leaving. If Zenimax knew it was a good game and really engaged players, they would go B2P or B2P+P2P only.

You do realize that B2P actually implies having a Cash shop, right? GW2 as the most popular B2P game has it. Same goes for WoW (P2P game), with it's vanity pets.

GW2 is more F2P with a upfront cost to me than what I would call B2P.  For instance name one thing that NW has in it's cash shop as a F2P game that GW2 does not?

I really hope ESO is either P2P or a decent B2P with cash shop like TSW has.  I would much rather buy content packs than gold and slot machine keys.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by Anthur

Thanks for sharing.

Things that concern me the most are 150hrs of quests and primarily not designed as a full MMO. Hardore players will finish the quests in less than 2 weeks, the more casual crowd probably in 2 month max. Doesn't sound like the next longterm MMO, more like the usual short time MMO. But we will see...

That sounds like the standard as far as I'm concerned.  I haven't played a game in a long time where there weren't mex level players within the first two or three weeks.  I don't know why this would worry you at all.  If you are a normal person with real life responsibilities, this will likely, as you said, take a few months.  That's pretty normal.

More than the standard actually. If "long term MMO" is code for WOW, just how long do people think it takes to level a character there 1-90 these days? 90 hours is the average and most will do it in a much shorter time than that with the various guild, account, etc. leveling perks... and that includes everything, not just quests. (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6934186602  that's just one of many topics about it...research at your leisure or resub for a month and just do it yourself like I did recently.)

150 hours of quests in one Alliance's area is a shit-ton of content. 

Besides "long term" has nothing to do with quest volume. It has to do with whether you're still having fun after you reach the level cap, and that's another story about things other than quests.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED