Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game concept

ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIMember Posts: 1,223 Uncommon
Back a couple years ago I started on this new concept of a game design.

I wanted the main theme to have a rich story and lore but I also wanted the mechanics of the thing to not be so much player versus player. I was down that path before and was making a big attempt to make one world which was not PvP.

I was making it with no levels at all because the play is not a treadmill of experience grinding. I think you will understand the concept if you continue to read on.

The basic idea was to create a system for artesian designing.

What I originally had in mind was along this route but again it got side tracked into something totally different.

Artesian types:

Forester – Harvests trees for raw resources.

Miner – Harvests rock and ore.

Farmer – Grows plants.

Warden  – Hunts, traps and fishes.

Sawmill  – Buys form the Forester and makes planks and beams and panels.

Architect – Make prefabbed buildings from the basic building blocks.

Chemist – Makes paint and dyes.

Clothier – Makes clothing and armor.

Engineer – Builds roads and bridges

Mason – Makes blocks and slabs from stones and boulders.

Cook – Makes foods and drinks

My main concern was bandwidth and I don’t think the world terrain editing on a massive scale of 1000’s of transactions a second can happen right now because of bandwidth so I decided to go with a preexisting engine that has the clustering capability and a premade terrain which spread across a couple thousand square kilometers.

I was trying to get a realistic looking world made so I could complete the next phase which was the raw resource spawning like rocks and ore to mine and trees and plants to harvest. I actually had 300 types of trees, 200 rocks and 194 plants done. Again I got sidetracked into something else entirely. I just couldn’t get this across to others how I was designing it.

The world needed a couple prebuilt cities for required initial resources and crafting center but the rest of the world is bare for developing the world databases. Can you get the picture?

As a programmer I don’t have a great talent for art but I can make basic building blocks like different kinds of wooden planks, stone slabs and such so I was trying to make a bunch of building blocks which comprised of 1 by 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 .. etc. with different wood grain textures that could be selected including plain logs from different tree types for the woodworkers and sawmill operators.

The masons would be able to make stone blocks in different shapes that when placed together made a complex structure.

Well here nor there that was as far as I got and I am not really interested in it anymore. Time is running out for me.

Comments

• mmoskimmoski plymouthMember Posts: 282

I sounds like your burnt out on the idea, the basic idea seems to have some merit, did you get none of the game play created ?

One of the key things during development is being able to keep interested in the project, it must have been hard for you, since it sounds like you just made artwork, I use to just do artwork many years ago, but its far more fun programming, creating small working systems that can be reused is key for me, its fun during development, "you build something" "you play with something" etc... and with every little building block you get one step closer.

Maybe search for a team or something ?

• ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIMember Posts: 1,223 Uncommon

Yep. Burnt out,

You didn't read it completely there though mmoski. I am a programmer not an artist.

Concept is good I think and maybe come late this year there will be one similar by a AAA.

• BenediktBenedikt PragueMember Posts: 1,406 Uncommon
    no
  • mmoskimmoski plymouthMember Posts: 282

Originally posted by ArChWind

Yep. Burnt out,   You didn't read it completely there though mmoski. I am a programmer not an artist.   Concept is good I think and maybe come late this year there will be one similar by a AAA.  

no

Yeah sry man, it was like 5:40 am when i read it, still  from your post it seemed like all you did was make trees and stones, heh. You must have some footage of it ?

lol @ the UC shameless post.

Originally posted by mmoski
    Originally posted by ArChWind Yep. Burnt out,   You didn't read it completely there though mmoski. I am a programmer not an artist.   Concept is good I think and maybe come late this year there will be one similar by a AAA.  

no

Yeah sry man, it was like 5:40 am when i read it, still  from your post it seemed like all you did was make trees and stones, heh. You must have some footage of it ?

lol @ the UC shameless post.

Nope. No footage this time around. Deleted all my videos last month when I raged out. Haven't done anything with it since.

I may play around with it.