Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online down due to DDOS attack.

2»

Comments

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Vlacke

Bloody hackers should go back to molesting Sony and leave honest PC folk alone. :D

I reckon EVE tech crew will crush them, too much experience there.

first,,EVE is the haven of all scammers,,does it surprise you, that some of them are hackers too?

second..the experience didnt stop the hackers this time,,do you think it will next time?

i smell an inside job,,didnt ccp hire some active gamers to their staff?

Scamming in eve will get you some ISK and a player or two might be upset with your ingame character and it is a part of the role playing.

A denial of service attack will get you jail time and is considered a crime in most countries.

I fail to see how you can suggest that scamming in a role playing game somehow relates to real criminal activity - they are not the same.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I don't play EvE but this sucks.  The worst was the ass clowns that hacked PSN/SoE and ruined things for players just because of a lame grudge.  EWant more support for your cause?  Go about it in a way that doesnt screw over hundreds of thousands of people.

Bit of a tangent there, but I despise this sort of crap.

Like what? Lobby the government? Take the giant multi billion dollar company to court? Maybe organize a march outside the offices?

All of which the 'gamer' these guys (the hackers) are trying to 'stand up for' ignore them as long as their game is playable? (Yet continue to 'rage' on forums about the same stuff the 'hackers' are against?)

No I'm not defending them, just saying that most ppl these days are much like this: if it don't incontinence me RIGHT NOW, i don't give a flop. (About ANY situation)

• TolanaTolana Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I don't play EvE but this sucks.  The worst was the ass clowns that hacked PSN/SoE and ruined things for players just because of a lame grudge.  Want more support for your cause?  Go about it in a way that doesnt screw over hundreds of thousands of people.

Bit of a tangent there, but I despise this sort of crap.

Fully agree with you.  Every time a company alters something which someone doesn't agree with, they hop on a QQ wagon and ddos the servers or hack into a database server, ending up screwing over thousands upon thousands of people/gamers. So darn immature.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    EVE is converting to a f2p, and they are loading in the cash shops.

EVE is already F2P, if you have enough brain capacity to fund the subs with plexes. ^^

so i can start farming PLEX in my noob frigate, while on a trial account?  awesome

Well, I do have some stuff out there ingame that easily makes me the money, but yes:

I have made a alt, I did level 1 missions on it and trained some hauling+market skills, and with playing the market I had >1b in 2 weeks playtime without injecting ISK into it.

THe only thing of course that gave me a edge was that I know the game, and newbs don't, but the market stuff isn't something unreachable if players are willing to read up, check tips and are willing to learn.

For new players that are coming from panda themeparks and are used to grind to max level in 2d, have 10k gold in a week, yes, then it can be a bit difficult.

In short:

sub 1 month, train to a battlecruiser, some market skills and be able to fly a t1 hauler, combined with a bit of brain mass you should be able to buy a plex each month to fund that account yes.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Like what? Lobby the government? Take the giant multi billion dollar company to court? Maybe organize a march outside the offices?

All of which the 'gamer' these guys (the hackers) are trying to 'stand up for' ignore them as long as their game is playable? (Yet continue to 'rage' on forums about the same stuff the 'hackers' are against?)

No I'm not defending them, just saying that most ppl these days are much like this: if it don't incontinence me RIGHT NOW, i don't give a flop. (About ANY situation)

So if you don't like how work is treating you, it's okay to rob all the employees and torch the building? If a person on the street annoys you it's okay to kill him? These hackers are criminals, plain and simple. They don't have a real justification, they just pick targets and ruin the games for players.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by free2play

It's close to 60/40 on who won here.

The idea of DDoS is to crash the server. EVE has been down for a full day. They forced EVE down either way you look at it.

CCP pulled a pyrrhic victory out of it. They can claim "It was our choice to bring the servers down" instead of "The massive DDOS crashed our servers"

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ET3D

So if you don't like how work is treating you, it's okay to rob all the employees and torch the building? If a person on the street annoys you it's okay to kill him? These hackers are criminals, plain and simple. They don't have a real justification, they just pick targets and ruin the games for players.

I must say, although you are being sarcastic, I actually like some of those ideas lol.

But the truth is that these hackers feel safe being behind their networks, if one gets caught, I would say: jailtime and fine them for the damage caused big time.

There was a Dutch hacker that thought the same; sold CC information, FBI found him out, was extradited  to the US and there he is now wearing a orange prison suit for  the next 12y. :)

They should do the same to the people behind this.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by ET3D
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Sure theres going over the bend a bit, eh?

No. If I don't like how my work is treating me, I let them know, and/or quit. I find a job where my skills are appreciated more. If a person on the street annoys me? I tell him hes annoying me, then I leave. Neither is comparable to what your talking about.

My point is that (And again i am not defending them, I am making a point as to why someone MAY wish to ddos ccp) if a large portion of the playerbase has a 'issue' with a developer, likely, unless this issue will cause great loss(IE its not likely to cause 40+% of the player base to leave outright and never come back, and at same time scare off any new customers) the developer will IGNORE them. And most players, if the issue isn't DIRECTLY affecting them(just like in the real world, except in the REAL WORLD we can 'tell' that guy hes annoying, RIGHT?) they will ignore it aswell.(Or complain on the forums and write 'petitions' that will also get ignored)

The difference is, that some of us 'gamers' know the difference between the 'real world' and the intrawebz. You i guess don't. Yes hacking IS wrong, but in the end its NOTHING like your suggestions. Is it? Nobody is being robbed(Maybe ccp is being 'robbed' of some time but they will manage) and nobody is getting killed(Unless your raging on someone cuz u can't play?)

The truth is, a ddos attack ONLY prevents u accessing the servers. It does NOT harm the game in any way. It simply 'floods' the server with many connection attempts and causes it to bog down.

(And like with past events, the 'hackers' responsible will prob just get bored... usually they just do something to see if it can be done. Don't worry, your 3 year old characters are still safe and training as u left them)