Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

123457»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why do you use that hideous fixed pitch font?
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

My problem with GW2, is that it doesn't even really *try* to be anything more than a series of quests, and WvW, if you are inclined.  All of the other content is about as thin as you can imagine.  Crafting, for example, is utterly pointless.  There's nothing social about the game either, really.  Just a contrived experience with some pre-set story shoved down your throat.

It's a great ultra-casual MMO.  If you don't have much game time, or aren't looking for any real depth, you may love it.

Crafting pointless? You won't see very many people in WvW without food and oil buffs, and most of my alts are in crafted exotic armors. It's not a system that lets someone corner the market, but for your own use crafting is quite useful, especially cooking.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    For a themepark crafting I'm gw2 is pretty good. Sure sandboxes like eve and swg have better crafting, but compared to wow and its clones gw2 crafting is much better.

No more making tons of junk just to vend it while leveling your crafting, the stuff you make Is useful and the system encourages experimentation rather than grind. No more seeing your crafting being a waste of time because the stuff from the latest dungeon is 10* better. This is one area where gw2 borrowed from daoc and got it right - gear equality regardless of playstyle.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

This topic just shows why I usually don't bother discussing GW2 on this site. People who criticize this game tend to write long posts that are full of ridiculous hyperboles and show they have no idea what they're talking about. Yeah, sure, GW2's crafting is pointless, which is why over half of my equipment is crafted and crafted consumables give "useless" bonuses like -40% Condition Duration. Yeah, there's nothing social about the game, which is why I often participate in dungeon runs, leveling groups, guild missions and WvW, all while chatting in both text and voice chat. Oh, there's a story shoved down your throat... what? Which story? The optional personal story many/most players ignore?

Really, GW2 has lots of faults. If you want to point them out it without looking like a fool, take some time to learn what the game is about.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542

Gw2 is one of those games where you have to mix it up in order to fully enjoy it. PVE in the open world I find it a bit too easy sometimes but thats fine considering I've played tons of really fast paced action games on pc in the past and have fast reaction times compared to the norm. Dungeons are the best pve has to offer (I want mooor ANET!)

Pvp is tons more exciting for me. WVW is better when you branch off from the zerg and go roaming either solo or a small group.

Spvp feels lots more skill based and team oriented. It's more fun to mix that gameplay up by playing different classes rather then just sticking to just one. Some people may not like to play other classes and just stick to one, but believe me, not only will you learn more about what works and what doesn't but you'll feel so much more satisfied.

For what gw2 offers for its price tag its a complete steal. I love this game and its lore. Played gw1 for 3 years, so I know gw2 still has soo much stuff missing that I know anet will eventually add. This is deff a game to keep your eye on for the future.  

• raslirasli Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well let's compare then

World size - each of the 3 ps2 continents Is bigger than all 4 WvW mmos combined.
    Player support - gw2 supports 120 per map (your figures). Ps2 supports 2000 per continent
    Skill - one is a fps where you have to aim and stuff. The other has downed state.
    Tactics - gw2 either run around in a big blob avoiding other big blobs and crushing small groups, or run around in a smaller group capping empty objectives and cutting off supplies. Ps2 - you've got your air drops, you got mobile spawning points like beacons and sunderers, you've got countering those spawn points and taking out scus to stop enemy reinforcing, you've got the need to hold points that give you access to tanks and planes, you've got alerts and the corresponding shift to a land grab tactic. Etc....
    Progression - it has it, but not "I own noobs" style wow progression, you get to upgrade more classes / vehicles etc.. as you play, there's a reason to progress to unlock more variety.

No offense ShakyMo, you seems to be a reasonable man, but you are judging WvW without really understanding what's going on.  Just like PS2, the depth and all the strategy and tactics going on in WvW can only be realized once you get into it.  Here are some of the responses to your points:

World Size and player support:  Gw2 support roughly 120 per side per map (so 360 per map? 1600 people total), not as large compared to PS2, but large enough to support epic battles with hundreds of players on screen at same time.  And no you don't need to go back to a lobby to join another map.  In fact, our server routinely organize float teams that travel between maps to create temporary advantages or attack enemy's weak points.

Skill:  Once you get good with GW2 combat, you will realize that downed state actually adds a tactic layer to GW2 combat.  How to correctly take advantage of downstate adds depth to both small scale fights and large scale fights.

Tactics and organization: GW2 has huge amount of depth in tactics and organization that you will only realize once you join your server community (website and VOIP).  On my server, we routinely have over 500 people on our server TS all at once, where commanders coordinate cross map assaults, within map coordination between commanders to do pincer movements, divert enemy attention, organize fast golem rushs etc. 

What you usually have are two main armies on each map that focus on laying sieges or cutting off enemy reinforcement in open field battles, while being supported by havoc groups and scouts that try to cut off enemy supply line, attack enemy towers to create diversion, scouting and report enemy movements, attack enemy's waypointed keeps/getting npc help to contest waypoints to delay fast responding etc.  You need to organize large sieges where you need to focus on taking down enemy defense sieges, cutting supply lines and draining enemy supply, you also need to coordinate highly organized golem rushes to take down heavily defended objectives etc.

So WvW is really not something you can judged by just getting in and play for half an hour.  you will only realize these once you really get into WvW and join your server community.  The amount of organization that is going on on a whole server level is unmatched by any other game except EVE.

Dear OP. 

They do this stuff all the time. For free.

Yeah, it's worth it. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by LordShockTitan
    Tried Rift, but for some reason could not get into it. I do not want WoW, but I want a game with fluid combat and lots of end game content like WoW.

I also forgot to mention that I like MMO's with a end game to it, like Rift or WoW and so on...

Well, lots of end game content might be problematic if you're looking for PvE raids, there are only dynamic events. The combat is smooth enough if you're into PvP. On the up side no more lf tank, lf healer stuff. Ideal casual game really.

If you want a game that is supposed to be your second job once you get home then pass on GW2, you'll get bored.

imageimage
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Its worth it.

It can get boring fast, but the game is worth it. One of the best MMOs since wow. Great value, good graphics, interesting gameplay, no subscription, dedicated developers, good community in general, etc.

Everyone has the right to dislike it, but there is no way to deny GW2's value. 

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

In all honestly based on your OP, the game you are looking for doesn't exist or will not exist until Wildstar or ESO.

Guild wars 2 has fluid combat for an MMO, BUT it lacks the WOW aspect you are looking for like a gear treadmil. You are best keep  an eye out for those 2 MMO I listed.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

GW2 is the epitome of the general direction mmorpgs, specifically themeparks are moving.  Its the accumulation of all the modern efforts since 2004 to make mmorpgs easier, simpler, less progression(grind), easy to access, ect.

This is certainly the great game some will make it out to be, that is if you feel mmorpgs have been improving over the years.

If you yearn for the first generation mmorpgs, a game packed with complexity, choices, difficulty,group coordination, risk and reward...you probably wont like this game much, it pretty much removes all of that.

If you are interested in the game many, and I do mean a LOT of players would be willing to sell their account on the cheap.  I got to play from a friend who wasn't interested anymore, but I didn't last very long in it.  For me the "just play it because its fun to go though the motions" doesn't cut it for me.

I know this game is this websites "golden child" that can do no wrong, but I can say with confidence that most of the launch population bored with the game relatively quick, and the fact that they haven't even attempted to do their originally planned 6 month expansions speaks to me on how interested people would be to buy the game again for an expansion.

Is it worth it? Does it have value?  Depends if you are into an easy, simple, game with literally no grind or risk.  Depends if you think this is a game where even if you get bored and leave that you would return every now and then and still enjoy it.

For me it was valued at about what I paid for it, which was nothing, but then I don't deny that games like this and the general direction of themeparks over the years make me cringe...I knew this wasn't my cup of tea and I stayed away.

Just be careful of those who try to oversell the game, which are many.  Its not nearly the epic game most will try to convince you it is.  Its just the same old game at its heart, just..well I guess dumbed down is a negative but to me that's what it is...the continuation of the dumbed down themepark.

Originally posted by BrownAle

I know this game is this websites "golden child" that can do no wrong, but I can say with confidence that most of the launch population bored with the game relatively quick, and the fact that they haven't even attempted to do their originally planned 6 month expansions speaks to me on how interested people would be to buy the game again for an expansion.

There was never  a six month expansion planned for GW2, so I don't know where you got that fallacy from. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Is it worth it? Does it have value?  Depends if you are into an easy, simple, game with literally no grind or risk.  Depends if you think this is a game where even if you get bored and leave that you would return every now and then and still enjoy it.

You do realize those statements apply to every single western MMO that has been released since 2004?  Please tell me which is the MMO that you are finding complex and with risks.  Which MMO has all types of events and end game that just keeps you enthralled indefinitely?   Anything other than EVE?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• OnkiniOnkini Member Posts: 5
    It's not the levelling, it's the taking part that counts. That's what makes Guild Wars 2 great. Almost every aspect of its design serves the individual player and whole community equally, and there's a breezy willingness to put the content ahead of the grind throughout. It's a little lightweight, perhaps; its fantasy world is more picturesque than truly enveloping, and its social and gameplay hooks offer instant gratification over ties that bind. But it's still the most coherent, seamless, social and fun MMO in a long time - and the only one that can call itself truly modern.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by rodingo

You do realize those statements apply to every single western MMO that has been released since 2004?  Please tell me which is the MMO that you are finding complex and with risks.  Which MMO has all types of events and end game that just keeps you enthralled indefinitely?   Anything other than EVE?

Darkfall, Mortal Online, Xyson, Earthrise, Perpetuum (robot version of eve), Anarchy Online (which actually had quite a lot of risk prior to the death penalty nerf)...any game with an actual death penalty other than a nominal amount of silver to repair..im sure there are many im missing...yeah you can take the easy argument that most if not all the games I mention were not AAA blockbuster games...which proves more that most gamers want dumbed down and easy, which is why people keep buying it and developers keep making it.

As far as any game more complex than GW2...well I would even argue wow is more complex, at least you have goals to work for.

Grind (what use to be called progression)...again just about any game that's actually a mmorpg, don't really count ps2 and defiance in the mix, and defiance I would argue is a game that shares the most with GW2 as far as ease and mechanics being simple...strange I found that game to be enjoyable as a TPS...would probably like GW2 if it wasn't tab target combat because then I really could enjoy combat as being somewhat difficult.

Anyway..sound like you haven't been mmorpg'ing very long if the only game you can think of as more complex and difficult than GW2 is EVE.  You need to get out more imo.

Again a game that is hailed as a "play it because its fun and for no other reason or long term goal"  I really think making it a tab target game was a huge mistake...the epitome of boring, tab target combat with no roles no strategy and no long term goals to work towards...yawn.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Darkfall, Mortal Online, Xyson, Earthrise, Perpetuum (robot version of eve), Anarchy Online (which actually had quite a lot of risk prior to the death penalty nerf)...any game with an actual death penalty other than a nominal amount of silver to repair..im sure there are many im missing...yeah you can take the easy argument that most if not all the games I mention were not AAA blockbuster games...which proves more that most gamers want dumbed down and easy, which is why people keep buying it and developers keep making it.

Anyway..sound like you haven't been mmorpg'ing very long if the only game you can think of as more complex and difficult than GW2 is EVE.  You need to get out more imo.

Interesting that because I was kind of getting the same feeling about you.  Yeh, yeh, nanny nanny boo boo.  The reason is because you equate risk with complexity.  If a severe death penalty makes a game hard for you to figure out then maybe MMOs aren't for you?  Also, I find it curious that you think people want dumbed down games.  Sure I guess there are those, but to assume that most is ridiculous.  I think most players want FUN games. That right there is a safe bet.  Fun does not equal dumbed down.  Fun means the game is enjoyable and the players want to keep coming back for more.  That's win for the dev studios making the games and it's win for the players.  You don't have to agree with me, nor am I trying to convince you.

Oh, and no where did I say that the only game I think that is more complex than GW2 is EVE.  I'm saying that EVE is the only complex game with risks since 2004.  That's a bit of a difference.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    GW2 has fun enough gameplay, but there's a lack of depth or endgame.  You might enjoy getting to 80, but I doubt you'll find much to do beyond that.  Unless the idea of farming outfits appeals to you.
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Personally I think GW2 is the best MMO out now. The combat is by far better than any other MMO, and you said that is what you were looking for. I don't PVP at all and I still have tons of fun playing. As far as for people who only like lore, I would also disagree cuz I don't care much about lore and I don't see that following it is relevant to having fun. I played WoW for years and have tried many MMO since then, and like I said, GW2 is my favorite, with Secret World in 2nd place...but that game is not like WoW and has very "slow" combat.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Money well spent
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    I spent 60 bucks and have 1200 hours of game time, 'nuff said. 
  • Originally posted by monarc333
    I spent 60 bucks and have 1200 hours of game time, 'nuff said. 

word.. :)

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Best mmorpg ever played , amongst EQ, GW1,  WoW, LotRO, AoC, Warhammer, Aion, and many others. 
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by LordShockTitan

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

For me, it was just barely worth the money on sale, but not worse than any other game with limited gameplay. It depends on taste, but as a non pvp player I was only interested in the single player pve the game offered, and as such there is not that much to be excited about. There were things I liked, A beatiful world and as slick a themepark as WoW or even better. If You are not into pvp then endgame is probably where You quit. I didnt like the combat for the most parts, but I found a few class/weapon combinations that were fun enough.

I guess if You find the right people, GW2 will be a much better game. Well what to say, GW2 is good and bad depending on taste, for me not a long term mmorpg commitment, but I dont regret buying it either.