Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Purutzil

If my opinion? No, its not. Heavily over-rated. Take out the fanboy gushing and look at the game itself and it lacks real depth to it. Its focus on combat unfortunately holds it down greatly as the combat itself is one of the games weakest points being far to 'slippery' (aka  your attacks don't feel like your actually doing them), unfocused (target based yet you can miss due to odd details in terrain, as if build for SKill based targetting combat but changed), and far to simplistic (hit a few rare buttons and allow your auto attack to spam. Weapon swapping very rarely being needed. Without dodging combat itself lacks very little depth unless you like to claim 'ground effects stack on abilities used going through it!' argument for something you never actually apply thought to doing and it happens naturally is a sound argument). 

Again though, best to try it out yourself. People like their own thing, and even if you look objectively at a game and see it heavily flawed, it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. For me the flaws were glaring and dragged the game down to much to like it, for you it might not phase you and you might like it.

See this guy? States up front it's his opinion. Well done, even if I disagree with your opinion significantly. I find the combat to be one of GW2 many strengths. I don't know what you mean by "slippery", so I can't comment on that... but yes, you can have a target and miss with your attacks. They can be blocked by terrain, walls, trees, etc. The idea that someone could fire a fireball at you and it magically will hit you no matter what... eh... magically... ok, some games went that route, GW2 adds a flavor of "realism" by having terrain and obstacles matter. Even other players. I can target an enemy in the back and an enemy in the front can be hit if it hits him first. Personally I like that... it makes sense to the mind. I'm not shooting through a wall to hit the guy behind it... I hit the wall. My fault, I need to be more aware of what's happening.

What you call simplistic I see as complex. Your skills have varying degrees of the damage, control and support attributes tied to them. The worst thing you can do is spam off cooldown, you'll look silly and be ineffective. For example, I'll use my mesmer and the greatsword (a great ranged weapon, thank you very much). GS1 (great sword skill 1) is a beam attack. It does increased damage the further you are from your target, and will pass through enemies between you and your target if they're in the way, damaging them as well as your target. Right away you should see that this skill benefits from good positioning and movement. GS2 throws an illusionary blade at your foe for damage. However, if there's an ally in the area it'll bounce off the foe to the nearest ally and give that ally a might boon. Then it bounces again to damage the enemy again. (You can trait for an additional bounce as well if you wish.) It also leaves a clone behind after the final bounce to attack the enemy. GS3 is an AoE ground targeted skill. Not only does it do damage, it'll strip a boon off the foes it hits. You can use it right away, or wait and strip that regen or stability they just put on themselves as well. GS4 is a phantasm skill, which applies an AoE cripple in the area of your target as well as good damage. And of course, GS5 is a fan knockback skill, pushing foes away from you for separation. A good thing, but it's only effective in close. Don't waste it. Then I'll personally keep a main hand sword as well as an off hand focus for my swap if the enemy gets too close for comfort. In addition to this, you have your heal spell (I chose Mirror... it has a projectile reflect while casting. This allows me to situationally use my heal offensively.) You have three utility spells and of course your elite. 

In addition to the above, many skills have after casts skills that are available after use use them for a bit. For example, mesmer focus 4. Focus 4 lays a line on the ground that provides a speed boost to allies and a cripple to foes that pass through that. It should be obvious how that can be tactically used. However, while the skill is active, you have a new shatter skill up. You can, if you wish, shatter your line, pulling enemies to the spot the line was. You'll really appreciate that the first time you fling a few enemies off a cliff to their deaths. The giggle factor is high.

Let's see... dodging, this is a nice addition. You have a brief moment of invulnerability while dodging, and you can't spam them, so use wisely! The best heal is the one you never had to use because you avoided the damage in the first place. Weapon swapping... man, if you leave this out you're gimping yourself big time. 

But, as I said, these are some of the things that, in my opinion, make combat in GW2 one of the best I've experienced with a great level of depth. This doesn't even tap into cross-profession combos either, which add a whole new element to things, or the fact that most skills can be cast while on the run. The pox called rooting is greatly minimized here. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Soki123

All I ve ever seen is, we need help at SM, all come and help. Nah I m here for the skill point. Not enough people care and that's the games design that made it so.

You've seen nothing then. Try to play the game more than a couple of days, instead of picking out a negative example and trying to make a generalization out of it. Anyone playing the game right now knows that what you post comes from someone who doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about.

And the most amusing part is that you think people in DAoC cared... that's hillarious. Yes they cared. They cared about their realm rank which made them even more overpowered. That fictious "realm pride" some DAoC players try to make unsuspecting readers believe it existed always makes me laugh. I was there, I don't buy it.

You really never played DAOC did you? They did care, not everyone, but a hell of a lot more then GW2. If you did play it, you played it really stoned or blind, but hey we all know GW2 is superior, lol.

Oh and btw I ve played GW2 a lot more then a couple of days. Plenty to see that the WvW is crap. That's all I really did play for a month or so. All I had to see was the 2 week reset, rofl resetting a battle, are you kidding me.  That is bar none the dumbest thing I ever have seen. Hence why theres no realm pride, which did exist in DAOC no matter how much oh mighty one says it didn t.

You really never played DAOC did you? They did care, not everyone, but a hell of a lot more then GW2. If you did play it, you played it really stoned or blind, but hey we all know GW2 is superior, lol.

Can't say about DAOC, never played it, but there's a ton of server pride in JQ. That's my experience at least. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Can't say about DAOC, never played it, but there's a ton of server pride in JQ. That's my experience at least. 

Good to see, but did people drop what they were doing and have a call to arms when an orb was being attacked? Never once seen it in GW2.

Good to see, but did people drop what they were doing and have a call to arms when an orb was being attacked? Never once seen it in GW2.

Wow, you haven't played in awhile, have you. The orbs have been out for months. Yes, we do have call to arms and great response when, for example, a keep is getting/ about to get slammed. Especially one with a waypoint. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Wow, you haven't played in awhile, have you. The orbs have been out for months. Yes, we do have call to arms and great response when, for example, a keep is getting/ about to get slammed. Especially one with a waypoint. 

Nope haven t played in a while to even know that. Orbs being taken out is another joke. Improve them instead of getting rid of them.

Nope haven t played in a while to even know that. Orbs being taken out is another joke. Improve them instead of getting rid of them.

You know, if you haven't played for that long that really kind of nullifies you as being experienced or having any real up to date knowledge on the current state of the game. I guess you're not aware of WvW rankings and rewards, the ability to buy exotics and ascended gear with badges or any of that? 

Oderint, dum metuant.

You know, if you haven't played for that long that really kind of nullifies you as being experienced or having any real up to date knowledge on the current state of the game. I guess you're not aware of WvW rankings and rewards, the ability to buy exotics and ascended gear with badges or any of that? 

Nope. I m aware of those useless WvW rankings, could care less about gear in PvP, I m not chasing better gear, I just enjoy pvping, all of what you said I know about, but didn t think it made it any better, so no it doesn t nullify anything as it stilkl doesn t make it any better or even close to as good as DAOC. I love the you don t play crap, you don t have to keep playing it beyond what you experienced before, as I can keep up to date with it, not ever logging in, to know It isn t improved.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Skipper

That's the problem, mass pvp is supposed to be about strategy and tactics and morale

Not about ONE VS ONE
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Skipper

That's the problem, mass pvp is supposed to be about strategy and tactics and morale

Not about ONE VS ONE

Bingo!!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

It also raises the eternal question: "if DAoC is that amazing, why aren't they playing it anymore?". Because the game is still up. I guess it's because it's not that amazing at all, i'ts just rose colored memories ;)

Because you apparently can't read what I said and/or have never played DAOC before ToA/New Frontiers. I said OLD FRONTIERS. After ToA expansion and then the New Frontiers the game went downhill and more PvE centered which is why a lot of us left. We didn't want pve expansions, we played for the massive RvR/PvP battles.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Nope. I m aware of those useless WvW rankings, could care less about gear in PvP, I m not chasing better gear, I just enjoy pvping, all of what you said I know about, but didn t think it made it any better, so no it doesn t nullify anything as it stilkl doesn t make it any better or even close to as good as DAOC. I love the you don t play crap, you don t have to keep playing it beyond what you experienced before, as I can keep up to date with it, not ever logging in, to know It isn t improved.

Useless rankings? OK, give up. You have no idea what you're talking about any more and have the comparable credibility of a grapefruit with regards to what's going on in WvW these days. I do play, log in daily, and personally have observed something good getting better. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Useless rankings? OK, give up. You have no idea what you're talking about any more and have the comparable credibility of a grapefruit with regards to what's going on in WvW these days. I do play, log in daily, and personally have observed something good getting better. 

Yep as you said personally, ie your opinion. Theres nothing that can change my mind that GW2 WvW is good. So instead of saying I m wrong, say it s your opinion. I did log into it, it was boring, the gameplay itself in WvW hasn t changed so I would know it isn t better. See what I did there.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Grailer
    I heard its fun till you get to max level .  according to Krip  , and he doesn't play it anymore so It must be bad .

Pretty much this. Probably because the PvP at max level feels bland and contrived and there is no vertical progression in PvE, past max level, which takes away a lot of the fun.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Fluxii
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Fluxii
    People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.

You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.

Actually no. Go play some WvW and get your "pretty" armor.

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.

You don't have to... If you want your pretty ascended items go do some guild missons with your guild or go do daily and monthly or just play your WvW.

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.

-_-

Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.

You don't have to do this. It is up to you.So it isn't grind. You don't even know what is grind and what is not...

Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.

Yeah. If you don't want grind so go buy some gems. It is that simple. And you're calling grind just one our cof farm for 200 gem... Yeah it is a big deal...

I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.

You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.

Yeah if you have money you can just craft for leveling. It is up to you again.What is the big deal?

Have you even played this game? NOTHING you said refuted anything! NOTHING!  Then you justify it by saying you can BUY gems!  REALLY dude?  "I" don't know what a grind is?  No apparently "you" don't have a clue what a grind is since just about "anything" can be considered a grind.  That's the whole irony of it.

And crafting never even came to mind.  I can could level through the game (before I stopped playing) just through normal means in 2 weeks tops playing casually.  If you do it the crafting way, you can do it in less than a day; a guildie did it.

ah man... your posts made me laugh so hard...

almost everything you labeled as "grind" tells me you actually never played a game which does have grinding in it. :D

ah the internet...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

My problem with GW2, is that it doesn't even really *try* to be anything more than a series of quests, and WvW, if you are inclined.  All of the other content is about as thin as you can imagine.  Crafting, for example, is utterly pointless.  There's nothing social about the game either, really.  Just a contrived experience with some pre-set story shoved down your throat.

It's a great ultra-casual MMO.  If you don't have much game time, or aren't looking for any real depth, you may love it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    If guild wars 2 is not worth it then no mmo is, it's of a higher quality than most mmo's that charge you a subscription fee.
  • anthonypenaanthonypena Member Posts: 131
    Hands down best mmo.  Awesome pve, dungeons are pretty hard imo, WvW is the shit, and lastly customization of armor is really neat....and its f2p(:
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

it's B2P. Buy the box, then free. I enjoyed the game for a bit les than 2 months. 3 80s and a couple of 75+ characters and I had had enough.

Tried logging in last week and had FUN...for about an hour. I doubt I'll play again.

As has been said, a beautiful world and a good game for 1 or two characters but after than (basically at end game)...well, not something I can bring myself to do. Free or not.

Yet a boatload more of opinions. When will you guys ever get it.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Is there something about your opinion we should care about?  Opinions are all we have, genius.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Is there something about your opinion we should care about?  Opinions are all we have, genius.

Well duh. It s people arguing someones is what I m saying.

• LordShockTitanLordShockTitan Member Posts: 16
    Alright, well first off, thank you all for what you thought of game. I have came to a conclusion than I WILL TRY THE GAME OUT later in the summer, when I have a lot of free time. Just started WoW back again, from a couple of your guys's recommendation, so do not know how long I will play it. As soon as I get bored of WoW again though, I will try out GW2. Again, thank you all for your support.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Is the opinion of someone who doesn't even play the game important to anyone? That's the real question to ask, specially when it comes to a MMORPG that evolves as fast as GW2, with often 2 content patches per month.

That guy dismisses the rank system in WvW without ever having tried it or seen it working, yet workships the DAoC one - which is in my opinion inferior. When I judge a game mechanism, I have the decency to at least try it out first. Specially when the game is free to play after initial purchase, like GW2.

My computer is better than yours.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well it has awesome gameplay, this week i tried to play TERA which is one famous active MMO title but compared to GW2 they looked so static...

yes it has lore and its lore is alive, also the content might have its flaws as the way they represented it to us, but if you are a lore fan, then you will love it !

yes there is PvP in 2 forms WvW which is like an enormous battleground or a mini area of Planetside2 and yes if you want to stay alive and have rewards stick on a train zerg, but there are also teams who work like going for raids in WoW, and with such organization they can counter zergs and guess the rewards and the fun above all

there is also sPvP which is arena style, and until 1 month ago it was almost dead, but now the competitive scene grows and they have added private servers etc and they fix the matchmaking which 3 months ago it didnt existed ..!

and thats its end game content ..! the PVE has some dungeons only for 5ppl and one Legendary item to craft and other usual craps for casual gamers and their girlfriends :p which is not bad and i like it  lol

if you are sticked WoW better avoid it or if you buy it notice that it wont be WoW its totally different .