Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Volkon

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY players per map - awesome!

So the op coming from ps2, that supports two thousand players per continent, won't find WvW all a little bit small scale and boxed in then?

Gw2 is a good pve game, I agree with marduk above about how its great getting away the quest hub grind.

But its pvp is a huge let down. Sure its better pvp than your typical wow clone mmos, but when arenanet made gw1, which had the best ever implementation of instanced pvp and when arenanet made statements like "if you love daoc, you'll love WvW" they have a lot to live upto.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Check out...

1. Tera online (F2P)

2. Rift online (F2P)

3. GW2 trial (ask ppl for trial keys when they are available)

4. Just buy the game. It's $50 and you can keep playing as long as you like, anytime you like. Sounds good no??

/Cheers

Lol no skill

Coming from gw2 with who has the biggest gang and spams rez the hardest wins.
  • ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

yes it's worth it.

best pvp at the moment by far.

don't listen to those 'wahwahwah not gw1/freeloot/whatever pvp! it sucks!' scrubs.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen 

No, I didn't miss WvW. I was on Jade Quarry and it was very busy. It's just a glorified battleground, instanced zone.

No it is NOT instanced.

It's not huge at all. I consider a real PvP zone to be non-instanced and not limiting how many people are aloud in. WvW is a joke imo, it's nothing compared to Old Frontiers PvP in DAOC, that I would consider REAL RvR world pvp.

No matter what your own personal feelings are about what a PvP zone is or not, WvW is NOT instanced. That is a fact. It's no more instanced that those "old frontiers" you talk about.

But having to do PvP in a fair way in GW2 is something ex-DAoC players will never agree too I think. Been there, done that. DAoC was the most unbalanced mess ever. In GW2, not only the three sides are balanced, but you don't have access to overpowered crowd control capabilities. If anything, DAoC has a lot to learn from GW2 combat and balance wise.

It also raises the eternal question: "if DAoC is that amazing, why aren't they playing it anymore?". Because the game is still up. I guess it's because it's not that amazing at all, i'ts just rose colored memories ;)

Still going on about how DAOC was a mess. I m really starting to wonder if you ever played that as you claim about people and your beloved GW2. It wasn t a mess, skill was involved a lot more then the acrobatic mess GW2 has. WvW 2 week switch, zone to each zone inside the mists, no names to recognize, (IMO) stupid pve involved inside of the mists, (IMO) no trinity, boring combat that apparently you re skilled at, even though we get most skills by level 20, absolute useless WvW skills, laughable downed state, I could go on and on. DAOC CC had it s purpose, and if you were smart could avoid it, not run in one cluster @#$@ of a zerg and spread out. All classes had a role, and if played well, could turn the tide of the battle, even if they didn t have CC. GW2 on land acrobatics mess of gameplay in WvW is nothing compared to DAOC s actual skilled gameplay, that if you re (skilled) would know the CC wasn t unbalanced.

How many times I've seen this kind of posts from nostalgia driven DAoC players... denying how overpowered CC in DAoC was, how pathetic the attempts of Mythic at class balance were too, and then saying "if you don't agree, you've never played DAoC or you were not skilled". Problem is there was no skill involved in playing RvR in DAoC, only a lot of patience for the grind and playing the FOTM class(es) which was a constant balancing roller coaster.

I suggest you go play DAoC if you're so enamored with it. What the hell are you even doing here when you could play a game you enjoy so much, and which is so superior (for you) to anything else?

I do play DAOC still.  The CC isn t overpowered at all. You just need to learn to counter it. I can t stop laughing at someone who says there was no skill in RvR then says there is skill in WvW. I m sorry but you didn t play DAOC or you didn t play it with people that had a clue. CC was not OP, theres a class to counter ever class, Trinity played a huge role, ie tactics, ie skill, There was a lot more complexity to DAOCs RvR then GW2s attempt. I was so looking forward to GW2s WvW, but just can t sit quietly when people claim it s anything like DAOCs RvR.

• Originally posted by Fluxii

Originally posted by Wyrdfell  

Originally posted by Fluxii People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.     You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.   Actually no. Go play some WvW and get your "pretty" armor.    

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.   You don't have to... If you want your pretty ascended items go do some guild missons with your guild or go do daily and monthly or just play your WvW.    

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.   -_-   Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.
      You don't have to do this. It is up to you.So it isn't grind. You don't even know what is grind and what is not...     Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.
      Yeah. If you don't want grind so go buy some gems. It is that simple. And you're calling grind just one our cof farm for 200 gem... Yeah it is a big deal...     I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.   You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.
      Yeah if you have money you can just craft for leveling. It is up to you again.What is the big deal?
    Have you even played this game? NOTHING you said refuted anything! NOTHING!  Then you justify it by saying you can BUY gems!  REALLY dude?  "I" don't know what a grind is?  No apparently "you" don't have a clue what a grind is since just about "anything" can be considered a grind.  That's the whole irony of it.

And crafting never even came to mind.  I can could level through the game (before I stopped playing) just through normal means in 2 weeks tops playing casually.  If you do it the crafting way, you can do it in less than a day; a guildie did it.

Yeah. I'm playing this game since the beta. And I have 958 hour gameplay till now.I have four 80 level characters and 3 legendarys.And yeah I know what I'm talkin' about.

1. There are WvW exotic armor and weapion sets which you can get by just playing WvW.

2.Yes Fractal isn't the only way for ascended items.Not anymore...You can buy them with WvW tokens, you can buy them with guild tokens and you can buy them with laurels.

3. -_-

4. This is true. You don't have to explore the world. Unless you want. Game itself doesn't force you to do anything like that. It is up to you.

5. You don't have to get gems for play this game. Gems doesn't get you anything for changing your gameplay or whatever. So if you WANT it you should buy it or grind some gold. Game itself doesn't force you to grind.

6.I don't even need to explain this stupid think again at this moment.

If you still don't understand anything. Please god sake PLEASE never ever play any mmorpg in your life. Because you will forced to grind like hell in all other mmorpgs.

Anyway op.

gw2 is worth it for a very different pve experience to the current norms. Also for a themepark it has decent crafting, you won't be banging out 100s of useless white quality boots that you have moved at a loss.

You will get a few months play out of it.

If you've not played rvr type pvp before you will probably get a month or so fun out of WvW too.

Trouble is op is currently playing better rvr in planetside 2.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Volkon

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY players per map - awesome!

So the op coming from ps2, that supports two thousand players per continent, won't find WvW all a little bit small scale and boxed in then?

Gw2 is a good pve game, I agree with marduk above about how its great getting away the quest hub grind.

But its pvp is a huge let down. Sure its better pvp than your typical wow clone mmos, but when arenanet made gw1, which had the best ever implementation of instanced pvp and when arenanet made statements like "if you love daoc, you'll love WvW" they have a lot to live upto.

Well, at least you've moved beyond the lie of WvW being instanced PvP. That's a start. And yes, I agree, the instanced PvP in GW1 was also a blast. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Anyway op.

gw2 is worth it for a very different pve experience to the current norms. Also for a themepark it has decent crafting, you won't be banging out 100s of useless white quality boots that you have moved at a loss.

You will get a few months play out of it.

If you've not played rvr type pvp before you will probably get a month or so fun out of WvW too.

Trouble is op is currently playing better rvr in planetside 2.

You keep stating your opinion as though it's fact. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Well let's compare then

World size - each of the 3 ps2 continents Is bigger than all 4 WvW mmos combined.
    Player support - gw2 supports 120 per map (your figures). Ps2 supports 2000 per continent
    Skill - one is a fps where you have to aim and stuff. The other has downed state.
    Tactics - gw2 either run around in a big blob avoiding other big blobs and crushing small groups, or run around in a smaller group capping empty objectives and cutting off supplies. Ps2 - you've got your air drops, you got mobile spawning points like beacons and sunderers, you've got countering those spawn points and taking out scus to stop enemy reinforcing, you've got the need to hold points that give you access to tanks and planes, you've got alerts and the corresponding shift to a land grab tactic. Etc....
    Progression - it has it, but not "I own noobs" style wow progression, you get to upgrade more classes / vehicles etc.. as you play, there's a reason to progress to unlock more variety.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

No, I didn't miss WvW. I was on Jade Quarry and it was very busy. It's just a glorified battleground, instanced zone.

No it is NOT instanced.

It's not huge at all. I consider a real PvP zone to be non-instanced and not limiting how many people are aloud in. WvW is a joke imo, it's nothing compared to Old Frontiers PvP in DAOC, that I would consider REAL RvR world pvp.

No matter what your own personal feelings are about what a PvP zone is or not, WvW is NOT instanced. That is a fact. It's no more instanced that those "old frontiers" you talk about.

But having to do PvP in a fair way in GW2 is something ex-DAoC players will never agree too I think. Been there, done that. DAoC was the most unbalanced mess ever. In GW2, not only the three sides are balanced, but you don't have access to overpowered crowd control capabilities. If anything, DAoC has a lot to learn from GW2 combat and balance wise.

It also raises the eternal question: "if DAoC is that amazing, why aren't they playing it anymore?". Because the game is still up. I guess it's because it's not that amazing at all, i'ts just rose colored memories ;)

Still going on about how DAOC was a mess. I m really starting to wonder if you ever played that as you claim about people and your beloved GW2. It wasn t a mess, skill was involved a lot more then the acrobatic mess GW2 has. WvW 2 week switch, zone to each zone inside the mists, no names to recognize, (IMO) stupid pve involved inside of the mists, (IMO) no trinity, boring combat that apparently you re skilled at, even though we get most skills by level 20, absolute useless WvW skills, laughable downed state, I could go on and on. DAOC CC had it s purpose, and if you were smart could avoid it, not run in one cluster @#$@ of a zerg and spread out. All classes had a role, and if played well, could turn the tide of the battle, even if they didn t have CC. GW2 on land acrobatics mess of gameplay in WvW is nothing compared to DAOC s actual skilled gameplay, that if you re (skilled) would know the CC wasn t unbalanced.

How many times I've seen this kind of posts from nostalgia driven DAoC players... denying how overpowered CC in DAoC was, how pathetic the attempts of Mythic at class balance were too, and then saying "if you don't agree, you've never played DAoC or you were not skilled". Problem is there was no skill involved in playing RvR in DAoC, only a lot of patience for the grind and playing the FOTM class(es) which was a constant balancing roller coaster.

I suggest you go play DAoC if you're so enamored with it. What the hell are you even doing here when you could play a game you enjoy so much, and which is so superior (for you) to anything else?

I do play DAOC still.  The CC isn t overpowered at all. You just need to learn to counter it. I can t stop laughing at someone who says there was no skill in RvR then says there is skill in WvW. I m sorry but you didn t play DAOC or you didn t play it with people that had a clue. CC was not OP, theres a class to counter ever class, Trinity played a huge role, ie tactics, ie skill, There was a lot more complexity to DAOCs RvR then GW2s attempt. I was so looking forward to GW2s WvW, but just can t sit quietly when people claim it s anything like DAOCs RvR.

while i agree with you that daoc had far better pvp/rvr than guild wars 2 has and was a much stronger overall complex system trying to say that CC was not overpowered is BS also. Just because a few tanks and off tanks had determination doesnt mean that cc wasn't overpowered.  Every single caster in DAOC had strong cc because of the not being able to cast while being hit without a quick cast and you only got one of them on a 30 second cooldown. Because of this flat out flawed mechanic (even mark jacobs thinks so and commented on it tons) This allowed skilled pre made groups to exploit a weak system of play with 9 second stun bomb groups and turned the frontiers into nothing but 8 vs 8 who could stun and cc first battles of who had their cooldowns up and ready to go. I leveled MANY and I mean MANY toons to 50 and well over realm rank 7 and played in many decent gank guilds back in the day like midnight and knight templars etc. I played for well over 4 years straight with many long stints after that . 

The only thing right now honestly from making wvw a much stronger game is adding in real abilities for the world vs world abilties not tying every damn thing to siege or guard kills or more damage and making the maps much much bigger so that if the zerge wants to converge together on objectives they have to move a much larger map. Also if the maps were much bigger you would have much more small man skirmish all the time and a lot of fun fights. You take the zerge out of it or give everyone the option to avoid it most of the time and small group roam you will have a DAOC like feeling easily. They seem to plan something right now anyways with that as they are going to be filling in the lake in the maps in the borderlands soon anyways. Also OP I play wow and GW2 Rift is a stupid joke of a game that anyone can tell with experience in the game industry did absolutely nothing but copy and paste wow and warhammers entire game and did nothing creative other than a new story and spin on public style quests.

You can't say anything bad about gw2. These guys hyped it up for 2 years as a cure for cancer and the harbinger of world peace. They would look foolish now if they talked about the game objectively.

Everything about it is perfect and every other mmo sucks.

No it is NOT instanced.

Pretty much what I guessed. DAoC fan stuck in the past, unable to adapt to something that is better but different, and in total denial about how crappy the CC is in that outdated game.

No hard feelings. Keep on playing you fetish game, mashing the "mez" buttons and think you're skilled. But I was there, done that, played DAoC in and out, and the experience is not even remotely close to more modern games with PvP, hell, even PvP in WoW is more balanced and fun than DAoC. And even back then at DAoC's "prime time", Anarchy Online had much better conquest based PvP which was really in the open world, too (Notum Wars).

DAoC players seem to be like WoW players (most of them for both): they never knew anything better, so they think their game is the best thing since sliced bread. Problem is, neither game is the first of the genre, and neither game is the best either.

This is exactly why I comment on this stuff. "Unable to adapt to something that is better but different". I can adapt, but I hated it. Saying it s better is a complete laugh IMO. See weird how opinions are different. Stop trying to pass off your opinions as fact. As much as you seem to have an "Im better then everyone, and I m right complex" doesn t mean you re actually right, but in reality have opinions.

Originally posted by cronius77

No it is NOT instanced.

while i agree with you that daoc had far better pvp/rvr than guild wars 2 has and was a much stronger overall complex system trying to say that CC was not overpowered is BS also. Just because a few tanks and off tanks had determination doesnt mean that cc wasn't overpowered.  Every single caster in DAOC had strong cc because of the not being able to cast while being hit without a quick cast and you only got one of them on a 30 second cooldown. Because of this flat out flawed mechanic (even mark jacobs thinks so and commented on it tons) This allowed skilled pre made groups to exploit a weak system of play with 9 second stun bomb groups and turned the frontiers into nothing but 8 vs 8 who could stun and cc first battles of who had their cooldowns up and ready to go. I leveled MANY and I mean MANY toons to 50 and well over realm rank 7 and played in many decent gank guilds back in the day like midnight and knight templars etc. I played for well over 4 years straight with many long stints after that . 

The only thing right now honestly from making wvw a much stronger game is adding in real abilities for the world vs world abilties not tying every damn thing to siege or guard kills or more damage and making the maps much much bigger so that if the zerge wants to converge together on objectives they have to move a much larger map. Also if the maps were much bigger you would have much more small man skirmish all the time and a lot of fun fights. You take the zerge out of it or give everyone the option to avoid it most of the time and small group roam you will have a DAOC like feeling easily. They seem to plan something right now anyways with that as they are going to be filling in the lake in the maps in the borderlands soon anyways. Also OP I play wow and GW2 Rift is a stupid joke of a game that anyone can tell with experience in the game industry did absolutely nothing but copy and paste wow and warhammers entire game and did nothing creative other than a new story and spin on public style quests.

Sorry, but I play DAOC to this day, and have on and off since release. CC is not at all, OP. Theres was to avoid it, counter it and if you know these things, it makes CC almost a mere annoyance.

Originally posted by cronius77

No it is NOT instanced.

Now that's a good and realistic post I mostly agree with. And I feel the poster is a veteran DAoC PLAYER, and not just blinded by nostalgia.

The only thing I don't agree with is the "far better" part, but to each his own. Not only the CC, but also the RR system of DAoC is utter crap. What they have started to do with ranks in GW2 is infinitely better, because it doesn't make new characters "cannon fodder", while still allowing progression.

Lol, "not just blinded" "GW2 is infinitely better" You are entertainment to say the least.

Well let's compare then

World size - each of the 3 ps2 continents Is bigger than all 4 WvW mmos combined.
    Player support - gw2 supports 120 per map (your figures). Ps2 supports 2000 per continent
    Skill - one is a fps where you have to aim and stuff. The other has downed state.
    Tactics - gw2 either run around in a big blob avoiding other big blobs and crushing small groups, or run around in a smaller group capping empty objectives and cutting off supplies. Ps2 - you've got your air drops, you got mobile spawning points like beacons and sunderers, you've got countering those spawn points and taking out scus to stop enemy reinforcing, you've got the need to hold points that give you access to tanks and planes, you've got alerts and the corresponding shift to a land grab tactic. Etc....
    Progression - it has it, but not "I own noobs" style wow progression, you get to upgrade more classes / vehicles etc.. as you play, there's a reason to progress to unlock more variety.

PS2... isn't that nothing more than an MMOFPS? Strange to compare the combat to an MMORPG, but all you mention is the downed state for GW2. That's rather strange. GW2 gives you a mobile, active combat where you can tab target if you wish, but most skills will fire off without a target and will still hit anything in their path. You've left off dodging as well, and the ability to cast without that godawful rooting for the vast majority of skills. 

Tactics also seem to be something you've completely glossed over wrt GW2. I'm in T1 and even there it's more than blob vs blob. For some reason you've left off the part also about siege warfare, with trebuchets, catapults, arrow carts, flame rams and siege golems all being used offensively or defensively at keeps, towers and supply camps. 

Progression in WvW is through specific WvW skills where you can upgrade your WvW specific abilities, such as siege mastery, arrow cart mastery, etc. You can completely level up your character in WvW as well as gear up through ascended gear. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    GW2 is boring in comparison to its predecessor.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52

Looks like half of the people forgot that this was a Guild Wars 2 thread and that someone is asking whether or not they should buy it. We're talking about a game that was released in 2012, not BC.

If you're strictly the RvR type and prefer whatever type of "PvP" many have suggested, then I'd suggest skipping the game. However, if you enjoy PvE and arena-based PvP with an interesting mechanic known as WvW, I'd say go for it. Especially considering the price has dropped.

Lol, "not just blinded" "GW2 is infinitely better" You are entertainment to say the least.

You're on the GW2 forum, my young friend. If you want to read some DAoC brown nosing, I suggest the DAoC forums of this same website. But I guess those forums don't have enough people posting anymore to make them worth reading... ;)

Well considering someone asked if GW2 is worth it, and I gave my opinion, it s not, then got jumped on for my opinion (shocking) I m on these forums, now arguing opinions, with someone who can t see people have them. Now lets compare how many people can RvR at once on the server in DAOC (in a 12 year old game) to that of a GW2 WvW map.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Short Message: Try it if you can ideally before you play it, as any game. The game you can pretty quickly tell if you will like it or not. If you do like it, consider if your fine with having almost nothing 'worth wild' to do at the end is fine with you.

If my opinion? No, its not. Heavily over-rated. Take out the fanboy gushing and look at the game itself and it lacks real depth to it. Its focus on combat unfortunately holds it down greatly as the combat itself is one of the games weakest points being far to 'slippery' (aka  your attacks don't feel like your actually doing them), unfocused (target based yet you can miss due to odd details in terrain, as if build for SKill based targetting combat but changed), and far to simplistic (hit a few rare buttons and allow your auto attack to spam. Weapon swapping very rarely being needed. Without dodging combat itself lacks very little depth unless you like to claim 'ground effects stack on abilities used going through it!' argument for something you never actually apply thought to doing and it happens naturally is a sound argument). 

Again though, best to try it out yourself. People like their own thing, and even if you look objectively at a game and see it heavily flawed, it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. For me the flaws were glaring and dragged the game down to much to like it, for you it might not phase you and you might like it.

You're on the GW2 forum, my young friend. If you want to read some DAoC brown nosing, I suggest the DAoC forums of this same website. But I guess those forums don't have enough people posting anymore to make them worth reading... ;)

Well considering someone asked if GW2 is worth it, and I gave my opinion, it s not, then got jumped on for my opinion (shocking) I m on these forums, now arguing opinions, with someone who can t see people have them. Now lets compare how many people can RvR at once on the server in DAOC (in a 12 year old game) to that of a GW2 WvW map.

The limitations on the WvW maps have nothing to do with the ability to "RvR at once", but with balance, something Mythic never understood. I also remember that in DAoC at release and in the years afterwards, despite me always having a top notch computer with the best possible Internet connection (I'm working in the graphic software industry), as soon as you had a "zerg" on your vicinity, the game was lagging like hell.

As I said, rose colored glasses.

Yes, I m sure you re the president of the US, and a billionare as well. Look, it s not rose colored glasses, it s MY OPINION IS IT S A SUPERIOR GAME TO GW2. My computer ran it fine, sure it had some lag, but not that bad. As far as how many people can RvR at once, as far as tactics and gameplay go, it has a ton to do with it. I m sure you ve never once seen a group of people in your guild kill themselves mid dungeon, or event, to come help in the Frontiers. The appeal to WvW to some might be as high, but theres no way in hell it has the whole realm caring what happened in their lands. All I ve ever seen is, we need help at SM, all come and help. Nah I m here for the skill point. Not enough people care and that's the games design that made it so.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Weapon swapping very rarely being needed.

That small part of your post shows why you disliked the game. You never started to grasp the depth of the combat.

Weapon swapping rarely needed? Nope, let's make it real: you thought is was not needed, and therefore you played your class under it's real capabilities only using half of the available skills.

Weapon swapping is a major part of GW2 combat. Denying it is just as good as admitting you didn't understand how combat works at all.

Yeah, that quote just shows how insanely underdeveloped his level of understanding about how the combat works is. It's mind boggling, really. And that guy posts negative things about GW2 about twice a day. It's crazy how limited his understanding of it actually is.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Lol no skill

Im willing to pay for server transfer just to face you 1on1 with any class you want me to play vs any class you might bring. Then we will see if skill doesn't matter in Gw2, ok? 

God this topic full of sad people who got their asses handed to them and say that Gw2 is "acrobatic" or a "button mashup". You guys must be very sad

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Lol no skill

Im willing to pay for server transfer just to face you 1on1 with any class you want me to play vs any class you might bring. Then we will see if skill doesn't matter in Gw2, ok? 

God this topic full of sad people who got their asses handed to them and say that Gw2 is "acrobatic" or a "button mashup". You guys must be very sad

Lol

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

GW2 is as deep as popcorn. You love it to death while you smell it being made, you love it to death as you eat the first 1/2 of the tub. You keep eating the last 1/2 of the tub but its not as fulfilling. Its a MMO I will play between MMOs and will jump online when they have new expansions and have fun but I will always be looking for a MMO with a little more depth. Its great for what it is. Anyone that says the game sucks is going way to far. If you dont like the game thats fine but its far from a bad MMO but its not everyones cup of tea.