Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

Comments

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124

I played WOW 7 years (casual then hardcore raiding)

Raiding in WOW was fun, but now... for hardcore raiding no enough motivation and time anymore,

but casual raiding after hardcore... like a joke - totally pointless.

and I switched to GW2 from sep 2012

GW was relax, much more casual game style. I really enjoy it.  

And I can have some hardcore if I want. 

So GW2 better, no doubt. That's it.

So my suggestion: save your time from pointless gear-grind in Wow, choose GW2

And in GW for PVE join to big Guild for guild missions, it's pure fun or challenge

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

1019 hours played. So yes.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by LordShockTitan

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

amazing combat is certainly something GW2 does have and it goes well with PvP because it makes it action like...

There's no quests in GW2 besides the personal story, which is okay - but could be a lot better.

But if you like WOW gameplay and trinity system a lot, I guess you won't like GW2 much - but that's not a rule... So the only thing you can do is try the game :P

Find a friend who's playing the game and ask if you can try it on his account :P

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol jean juc. No they bloody aren't. You have to walk through. A BLOODY GREAT BIG TELEPORTER IN THE CAPITAL CITY TO ENTER THEM. You can't even walk from one WvW box into another, you have to ping back to teleport central first.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Yes, brings a lot of inovations, they changed the ? for a S2 Heart, isnt cute?. *_*.
  • FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Fluxii
    People that keep denying that this game is a grind absolutely floor me. LOL  EVERY aspect of this game is a grind.

You want your pretty armor?  Pick your dungeon to grind.

Actually no. Go play some WvW and get your "pretty" armor.

You want upgrades? GRIND your fractals.

You don't have to... If you want your pretty ascended items go do some guild missons with your guild or go do daily and monthly or just play your WvW.

PVP or WvW?   Yea, you guessed it.

-_-

Exploration? You want that 100%  You bet your sweet ass it's gonna be a GRIND to the end.  Unless you think it'll take you 5 minutes to get through all those zones.

You don't have to do this. It is up to you.So it isn't grind. You don't even know what is grind and what is not...

Want some gems?  Better GRIND some gold.

Yeah. If you don't want grind so go buy some gems. It is that simple. And you're calling grind just one our cof farm for 200 gem... Yeah it is a big deal...

I could go on but you get the point. You know what ISN'T a grind? Leveling.

You can get from 1 - 80 in about 5 minutes.  SO if you're looking to get to and endgame quickly that doesn't exist, meh, there ya go.  I have 5 80's, it's really easy, trust me.

Yeah if you have money you can just craft for leveling. It is up to you again.What is the big deal?

Have you even played this game? NOTHING you said refuted anything! NOTHING!  Then you justify it by saying you can BUY gems!  REALLY dude?  "I" don't know what a grind is?  No apparently "you" don't have a clue what a grind is since just about "anything" can be considered a grind.  That's the whole irony of it.

And crafting never even came to mind.  I can could level through the game (before I stopped playing) just through normal means in 2 weeks tops playing casually.  If you do it the crafting way, you can do it in less than a day; a guildie did it.

But it is relevant.

I daoc you just walk into the frontier. In war you just cross the boundary into a rvr lake, where the pvp areas are fully persistent.

In gw2 you teleport to a completey separate server to play a competely separate game that puts you against random opponents in a 2 week match.

Also overflow IS instancing.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I enjoyed GW2 till cap. Once I arrived at cap it took me all of a weekend to run the "Endgame" dungeons. They where pathetically easy and uninteresting. I really did like the journey to cap though. If you enjoy running a handful of boring dungeons and repeating the same static events over and over to grind for meh looking cosmetic gear. Then you have found your game.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Ok lets put this to rest. In DAOC you have to zone into the frontier, in GW2 you zone into the Mists. The big differences to me and many people I ve played DAOC with is you re never, ever in a que to play in the frontier. Also you have the same enemies with their names known. I can t stand the whole stupid 2 week reset crap. I didn t even care who I was fighting and if we won, actually most didn t, they were off doing some stupid pve crap, instead of helping with a keep defense.

GW2 WvW compared to DAOC RvR is an embarrassment to even put them in the same sentence. Of course this is my opinion, but there are some facts I stated.

No its not the same thing. In daoc there aren't 4 portals in the capital city that teleport you to an individual medium sized box in a separate bloody game. If you want to go from one frontier zone to another you don't have to first teleport back to a LOBBY. Sure there's a loading screen when you cross zone boundaries, but those zones are still a part of the world, pvp zones are no different to pve zones in that regard. In gw2 the pvp zones aren't a part of the world at all, they're a completely separate world that exists for 2 weeks before it gets replaced by another completely separate world.

Honestly I don't see how you can defend WvW if you've played daoc. It's extremely simplified, gamey and casual compared to daoc.

The rest of gw2 was ok, but WvW was a Massive disappointment. (spvp ain't as good as gw1 either, but its better than the competition e.g. wow)
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The best thing about gw2 is that it is a big step away from linear quest hubs. Also there are many different areas to level up, which supports alt making. I only wish there was a bit more solo challenge. This is definitely the best tab target combat out there (very little self rooting). I recommend this game for pve people that also like alt making.
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    The best thing about gw2 is that it is a big step away from linear quest hubs. Also there are many different areas to level up, which supports alt making. I only wish there was a bit more solo challenge. This is definitely the best tab target combat out there (very little self rooting). I recommend this game for pve people that also like alt making.

Lol, you just described my wife in your last sentence, and she throws up a little in her mouth whenever I log  into it to see any changes.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by DocBrody

The best alternative in my opinion is still Age of Conan- it´s mostly free up until endgame ( a LONG way)- great graphics, DX10- it´s not cutesy pants fantasy, it´s more dark and heads are rolling- the combat combo system is still the best I ever played hands down- great stories and interesting quests, some voiceacting for the main quests- beautiful big open world- fantastic music and immersion- but you better get a friendly guild for more fun after lvl20 /leaving Tortage

"Big open world"?
    Uhhh isn't AoC one of the most non-seamless games on the market? Isnt there a loading screen between almost every single zone? That is literally the only reason I will completely ignore any game
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No its not the same thing. In daoc there aren't 4 portals in the capital city that teleport you to an individual medium sized box in a separate bloody game. If you want to go from one frontier zone to another you don't have to first teleport back to a LOBBY.

You don't have to do that in GW2 either. Have you even played the game

You can get from one WvW area (aka "Frontier") to the other without ever leaving WvW, without ever going to a capital city.

It's fascinating how people that played Gw2 for half hour think they know everything about it xD

P.S: If WvW borders are small for you, try eternal battleground for a change

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No its not the same thing. In daoc there aren't 4 portals in the capital city that teleport you to an individual medium sized box in a separate bloody game. If you want to go from one frontier zone to another you don't have to first teleport back to a LOBBY. Sure there's a loading screen when you cross zone boundaries, but those zones are still a part of the world, pvp zones are no different to pve zones in that regard. In gw2 the pvp zones aren't a part of the world at all, they're a completely separate world that exists for 2 weeks before it gets replaced by another completely separate world.

Honestly I don't see how you can defend WvW if you've played daoc. It's extremely simplified, gamey and casual compared to daoc.

The rest of gw2 was ok, but WvW was a Massive disappointment. (spvp ain't as good as gw1 either, but its better than the competition e.g. wow)

What the heck you going on about? There's no need to go to a lobby to get into WvW. That loading screen you're talking about, it's the same exact thing in GW2. We're talking zones, not instances. While DAOC may give you the illusion that you're walking directly from one zone to the next you're really not... it's an illusion. You still are actually loading into a zone likely on a different server.

Yes, WvW is persistent. Yes, they also reset the matches every two weeks. The two are not exclusive. When you and your group leave WvW it doesn't go away, it's still there. If there were no people at all in WvW it wouldn't go away, it would keep right on going as a persistent zone, then at the end of two weeks they'd reset it for a new match.

I don't think you understand what an "instance" is and what a "zone" is to be honest... it sounds like you're using the wrong definitions of the words.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

I wouldn't consider GW2 a pvp game. It's all instanced pvp, no open world pvp at all. You're also basically doing the kill quest grind like other games except they hide it a little bit with calling it dynamic events. There's no way of knowing if you will like it though unless you try it out. I got bored with it after 2 weeks and hitting max level. It's an extremely casual friendly, hand holding game.

You must have missed WvW then... nothing instanced about that. Four massive persistent zones, about as open as it gets without being able to kill your own team. Now, the structured PvP, that's definitely instanced by design, your classic "arena" style match ups. 

No, I didn't miss WvW. I was on Jade Quarry and it was very busy. It's just a glorified battleground, instanced zone. It's not huge at all. I consider a real PvP zone to be non-instanced and not limiting how many people are aloud in. WvW is a joke imo, it's nothing compared to Old Frontiers PvP in DAOC, that I would consider REAL RvR world pvp.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Electronic fecking arts
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

It's all instanced pvp, no open world pvp at all.

This is a common misconception. World vs World is NOT instanced. It's in a separate zone, granted, but there are no instances, every player of the same server ends in the same WvW area. And it is open world PvP, even though limited to the 4 WvW area, just like e.g. WoW limits PvP to areas higher than level 20 and outside of cities, or EvE has different security levels, or UO has "insta-kill" guards protection you in some areas. It's area restricted open world PvP, nothing new, and it's definitely not instanced.

Uhhh.. No. GW2 is not open world PvP in any stretch of the definition. Comparing it to what WoW does is a joke. There are tiny areas where PvP is restricted in WoW, where there is only the 4 WvW areas that you can in GW2. PvP happens with the PvE in the same place in WoW. You have to zone in to that separate area to do PvP in GW2. Also, while it isn't instanced, it also isn't persistent. It would be better to describe it as a two week long timed battleground then to call it open world PvP. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

I wouldn't consider GW2 a pvp game. It's all instanced pvp, no open world pvp at all. You're also basically doing the kill quest grind like other games except they hide it a little bit with calling it dynamic events. There's no way of knowing if you will like it though unless you try it out. I got bored with it after 2 weeks and hitting max level. It's an extremely casual friendly, hand holding game.

You must have missed WvW then... nothing instanced about that. Four massive persistent zones, about as open as it gets without being able to kill your own team. Now, the structured PvP, that's definitely instanced by design, your classic "arena" style match ups. 

No, I didn't miss WvW. I was on Jade Quarry and it was very busy. It's just a glorified battleground, instanced zone. It's not huge at all. I consider a real PvP zone to be non-instanced and not limiting how many people are aloud in. WvW is a joke imo, it's nothing compared to Old Frontiers PvP in DAOC, that I would consider REAL RvR world pvp.

The limit is there so that people like you wouldn't cry that they get outzerged. Yet there are a lot of people crying that Gw2 is zergfest. Makes me wonder what would be enough for you people xD

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

GW2 was not worth it imo.  They didn't deliver on what they promised in the manifesto, there is so little content for any competent gamer.  The pvp is boring and lacks depth (as many of us old schoolers predicted) and the game isn't even close to becoming an esport ever. 

[mod edit]

Maybe some people will learn from gw2, not to buy into the hype, and that the proof is in the pudding.  It seems like anet generally has a lot of damage control though, as the fanbois are allowed to make whatever absurd claims they want, but the moment you are too critical of gw2, you get censored. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You were on JQ? Heh, I still am. You have no idea what you're missing these days, we're having a blast against some real tough competition. 

Now, about it being instanced. No, it's not. An instance is a private copy of the area for your group specifically, such as a dungeon in WoW. When you leave the dungeon that instance closes down and goes away. GW2, like many games, uses zones. Zones are persistent areas that are always up. You enter them in the state they're currently in, and when you leave they remain behind. A good example of this is Eve Online. Every star system there, wormholes and all, is a zone. Every map in GW2 is the same... be it the PvE world or WvW, zones. Yes, for the sake of balance (and so the servers don't melt down) there is a cap on the WvW maps of an unknown amount, but thought to be a bit over 100 players. (I've heard 120 as well, no one really knows that's talking.)

It doesn't matter if you like this or not. That's completely irrelevant to whether or not it's an instance or not. You don't like it, that's perfectly fine. Not every one does. But there's a crapload of us on JQ that do who have worked to keep our server in T1 for many months now. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

You were on JQ? Heh, I still am. You have no idea what you're missing these days, we're having a blast against some real tough competition. 

Now, about it being instanced. No, it's not. An instance is a private copy of the area for your group specifically, such as a dungeon in WoW. When you leave the dungeon that instance closes down and goes away. GW2, like many games, uses zones. Zones are persistent areas that are always up. You enter them in the state they're currently in, and when you leave they remain behind. A good example of this is Eve Online. Every star system there, wormholes and all, is a zone. Every map in GW2 is the same... be it the PvE world or WvW, zones. Yes, for the sake of balance (and so the servers don't melt down) there is a cap on the WvW maps of an unknown amount, but thought to be a bit over 100 players. (I've heard 120 as well, no one really knows that's talking.)

It doesn't matter if you like this or not. That's completely irrelevant to whether or not it's an instance or not. You don't like it, that's perfectly fine. Not every one does. But there's a crapload of us on JQ that do who have worked to keep our server in T1 for many months now. 

This is incorrect.  An instance does not necessarily close down when everyone leaves it.  That would be like saying WoW's week long raid timer instances aren't instances.  WvWvW works the same way, it is a duration based instance, and then it resets after a certain time. 

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

1-80 is fun. The races are distinct and interesting. The zones are beautiful and large. Each class is vastly different from one another. Dungeons can be challenging as you level up. Tons of customization options (dyes, transmuting, etc) Personal story can be hit or miss but still a nice diversion lvling up.

Now once you hit 80 the game changes. People farm dungeons for the tokens to get the gear they think looks cool. WvW is a huge part of the endgame. Its fun if you like large outdoor space pvp.

Overall I would def recommend it for the 1-80 experience. And depending on your like/dislike of WvW you may want to stay for that too.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by monarc333

1-80 is fun. The races are distinct and interesting. The zones are beautiful and large. Each class is vastly different from one another. Dungeons can be challenging as you level up. Tons of customization options (dyes, transmuting, etc) Personal story can be hit or miss but still a nice diversion lvling up.

Now once you hit 80 the game changes. People farm dungeons for the tokens to get the gear they think looks cool. WvW is a huge part of the endgame. Its fun if you like large outdoor space pvp.

Overall I would def recommend it for the 1-80 experience. And depending on your like/dislike of WvW you may want to stay for that too.

Pretty much agree with the above.  The game was better when it launched as far as zone population goes, but the ride is still fun.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

No, I didn't miss WvW. I was on Jade Quarry and it was very busy. It's just a glorified battleground, instanced zone.

No it is NOT instanced.

It's not huge at all. I consider a real PvP zone to be non-instanced and not limiting how many people are aloud in. WvW is a joke imo, it's nothing compared to Old Frontiers PvP in DAOC, that I would consider REAL RvR world pvp.

No matter what your own personal feelings are about what a PvP zone is or not, WvW is NOT instanced. That is a fact. It's no more instanced that those "old frontiers" you talk about.

But having to do PvP in a fair way in GW2 is something ex-DAoC players will never agree too I think. Been there, done that. DAoC was the most unbalanced mess ever. In GW2, not only the three sides are balanced, but you don't have access to overpowered crowd control capabilities. If anything, DAoC has a lot to learn from GW2 combat and balance wise.

It also raises the eternal question: "if DAoC is that amazing, why aren't they playing it anymore?". Because the game is still up. I guess it's because it's not that amazing at all, i'ts just rose colored memories ;)

Still going on about how DAOC was a mess. I m really starting to wonder if you ever played that as you claim about people and your beloved GW2. It wasn t a mess, skill was involved a lot more then the acrobatic mess GW2 has. WvW 2 week switch, zone to each zone inside the mists, no names to recognize, (IMO) stupid pve involved inside of the mists, (IMO) no trinity, boring combat that apparently you re skilled at, even though we get most skills by level 20, absolute useless WvW skills, laughable downed state, I could go on and on. DAOC CC had it s purpose, and if you were smart could avoid it, not run in one cluster @#$@ of a zerg and spread out. All classes had a role, and if played well, could turn the tide of the battle, even if they didn t have CC. GW2 on land acrobatics mess of gameplay in WvW is nothing compared to DAOC s actual skilled gameplay, that if you re (skilled) would know the CC wasn t unbalanced.