Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Worth It?

LordShockTitanLordShockTitan Member Posts: 16

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

Comments

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    I heard its fun till you get to max level .  according to Krip  , and he doesn't play it anymore so It must be bad .
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    I personally like GW2 but I would recommend rift for you. GW2 is for people who DON'T want WoW.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 422

Ok, GW2 to be fair is a gorgeous game with fun combat, there is no trinity(tanks, healers) all classes basically do dps with a side of support.  If its "End Game Content" your looking for avoid this title.  If you plan to play casually and enjoy exploring then this will be a great purchase for you.  Im not much into the pvp scene in any game but from what little I tried in GW2 it seemed like a zerg fest with no real coordination or purpose.

Take that as you will, I don't regret buying this title but I haven't logged in for quite some time.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Lore is a big deal in GW2.

i don't pvp that much when i play. the pvp is fun, im just not a huge pvp'r.

i think for what you get in the long run its a good investment.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Blackstar347Blackstar347 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Grailer
    I heard its fun till you get to max level .  according to Krip  , and he doesn't play it anymore so It must be bad .

Using someone else's opinion to judge a game is pathetic let alone thinking the game is bad just because some guy on the internet stopped playing it.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I personally think GW2 is the best themepark MMO ever created, so my advice would be to buy it. There's a ton of stuff to do if you play at a reasonable pace i.e. not spend days at a time behind the monitor. It's one of those games where I start playing with a goal in mind, and an hour later I can't remember what I wanted to do because I got caught up doing a whole bunch of other stuff that just happened to catch my eye as I was roaming about. 
  • LordShockTitanLordShockTitan Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    I personally like GW2 but I would recommend rift for you. GW2 is for people who DON'T want WoW.

Tried Rift, but for some reason could not get into it. I do not want WoW, but I want a game with fluid combat and lots of end game content like WoW.

I also forgot to mention that I like MMO's with a end game to it, like Rift or WoW and so on...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by LordShockTitan

Well, reason why I am asking this is because I do not want to pay the money and end up hating it just half a hour into the game. I really have not played a MMO since quitting WoW back in 2011, and the only "MMO" I play now is Planetside 2. 

I heard that GW2 is really only for people who like PvP and lore. Is this true? Because I really only like games kind of like Neverwinter and PS2 or even WoW like. 

A MMO with awesome combat is really what I have been looking for, and was wondering if GW2 is a kind of game I will like.

Anyways, if there is any other MMO with amazing combat, raids, PvP, quests and dungeons that is either B2P or F2P, then list them as well as if GW2 is a game I will like. I would only play a P2P game if there is no other option.

Thanks for your help. and sorry if it takes me a while to respond to your questions.

Just stick w/ Neverwinter or WoW for now. Even Rift might be a good option for you.

GW2 is not for players looking for more WoW. In fact just the opposite. It's kind of hard to explain GW2, because people seem to approach the game differently. For example a few posts above a guy labeles the combat a 'zerg fest'. It's true if you let it be, but there's also a lot of strategy there.

The game's wierd because it's kind of a mix between sandbox & WoW-themepark. On the one hand there's a lot of scripted content, but on the other it's completely up to the player as to how they experience it. Those who try and treat this like WoW, often walk away dissapointed. Though who treat this as it's own game (and just try and explore it for what it is), tend to have a much better experience.

Objectively, it's the best value for 60$ (and I hear you can get it for as low as 30$ now) you will ever find. However, if the content isn't you're cup of tea, then it's going to seem worthless to you regardless. And it sounds like you're more of a coffee drinker.

Tried Rift, but for some reason could not get into it. I do not want WoW, but I want a game with fluid combat and lots of end game content like WoW.

I also forgot to mention that I like MMO's with a end game to it, like Rift or WoW and so on...

The irony of what you're asking is that you are actually looking for WoW. You just want a game that makes you think that you aren't. Essentially you're looking for a game that feels & functions like WoW, but isn't WoW.

• LordShockTitanLordShockTitan Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by aesperus

The irony of what you're asking is that you are actually looking for WoW. You just want a game that makes you think that you aren't. Essentially you're looking for a game that feels & functions like WoW, but isn't WoW.

Well kind of. I just want a game that has great combat. I used to love WoW, but I now hate the **** out of it, and wish it never existed. So yes, I agree with what you are saying, but I am never touching WoW every again in my life, so want a game similar, or one with just good combat.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by Blackstar347

Using someone else's opinion to judge a game is pathetic let alone thinking the game is bad just because some guy on the internet stopped playing it.

um, prove this method wrong in most cases and then you would have an argument.

other people's early opinion has saved my pockets plenty of times.

I would have a Vita right now if I didnt read other people's opinions first to know it lacks quality games. But Hype alone says buy it. would have been a total waste of my money.

dislike comments like Blackstar347's

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Well kind of. I just want a game that has great combat. I used to love WoW, but I now hate the **** out of it, and wish it never existed. So yes, I agree with what you are saying, but I am never touching WoW every again in my life, so want a game similar, or one with just good combat.

Rift doesnt feel like WoW, so takes getting use to, in terms of smooth animations and cool armor and weapons everywhere, but its the closes to quality you will get.

otherwise GW2 fits as well. Very close to WoW in terms of gameplay feel, as well as armor and weapon models. but the animations some times a huge turn off. not at WoW level, but not super bad like Warhammer or something.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

GW2 is quite a liberating game in a lot of ways, and it's the new standard for MMOs. Here's why:

- The combat is incredibly fluid. I can't go back to clunky WoW mechanics (or any other MMO for that matter) after the sheer smoothness and twitchiness of GW2. Tera also doesn't work because of having to stand still while using even melee skills - that ruined it. GW2 is just so mobile, so quick and so elegant that the combat is the best in MMOs. By far, actually.

- No grinding, unless you want to look beast. Getting "max stats" is pretty quick, 3 days at max level for full exotics, even faster if you are experienced. Sure there's ascended gear to get, but you get a limited amount of tokens per week for that, and it doesn't take long to max out your weekly token cap from guild missions, dailies and world PVP. If you want a specific set like a dungeon set, or if you want legendary weapons, then sure, there's a grind. But it's "optional" in the sense that you'll already have the stats, just not the looks.

- The graphics, engine, polish, animation etc are by far the best of any MMO. It's a ridiculously beautiful game, and everything in it works very very well. It's kind of the opposite of games like Warhammer etc which while having nice game worlds and ideas, also lacked in polish and product quality. Quality just oozes out of GW2 in every way. There really is a ton of content in there, lots of dungeons, world events, and incessant world PVP in WvW. And you can just sit all day playing sPVP matches like many do. It all works really well. Just pick what you want to do, or do several of them.

- No need to "keep up with the neighbours" - sort of like no grinding, you don't need to update your gear constantly every week/month/season to match everyone else. So there's no pressure to force you to play. It's a game designed to be played for fun with friends and a guild, but it doesn't "force" you to play. This is where it is different from WoW and other games with gear tiers and seasons, which force you to update your gear constantly or get left behind. You can take a break in GW2, come back 2 months later, and still be fine. All it takes is skill - not constant time commitment or grinding.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

What the guy above said and I would like to add that while Guild Wars 2 does have a lot of solo and group content at end game (i still log on every day with plenty to do), what it does not have is focused raiding. So if raiding in the classic wow sense is important to you, you will be dissapointed by GW2. 

GW2 definatly has the most fluid combat system though, theres nothing at the moment that comes close. 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I do like it, but somehow I never got a character over level 24 or something. Not sure why.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Well.. assuming that's all you're looking for (and that's a big assumption), GW2's combat is one of the best out there atm for a fantasy MMORPG. It's fairly complex, involves a lot of reactions, timing, and tactics. However, again I must re-emphasize that a lot of players tried this game out claiming 'they don't actually want another WoW, they are looking for something different'. They then picked up GW2, which offers exactly what they asked for, and they went back to mists of pandaria.

Here's a video that explains it fairly well: Wait... Guild Wars 2 Doesn't Suck?

Again, it is a really good game, that has a lot to offer. However, it's not a game that presents itself well, especially to players who are coming from a game like WoW, which has been training their brain to view these games in a very specific way (i.e. Grind to Endgame, find the most efficient quest order, and then grind raids for gear).

The game gives you the most enjoyment when you force yourself to slow down, smell the roses, and just get lost. Most players don't do this, they want to rush through the game, get to endgame, and grind for the best gear. This just isn't that type of game.

- On a side note, the PvP in this game (structured PvP that is) is still somewhat limited compared to how it was in GW1. They have been working on it, though. WvW can be a lot of fun, but it helps to know what kind of PvP you are actually looking for. Tier 1-2 servers have the larger battles. To some this just feels 'zergy', but to others (i.e. I play on Sanctum of Ral) there's a TON of tactics involved and it can be very fun. For example, my server has a teamspeak for the entire server, in which people are allowed to hop in and follow the commanders, & help out. It's very organized, and even chaotic fights have a lot of tactics & coordination involved. Still, some players prefer smaller battles, and that's where tier 3 or lower is probably more your speed.

One of the biggest strengths & weaknesses of GW2 is that it has a bit of everything for everyone. Because of this, you can't trust the defaults. You kind of have to take the initiative to find your own enjoyment out of the game. Otherwise it's quite easy to pick the wrong class, choose the wrong starter zone, lvl up the wrong way, etc. and assume the entire game is based around those first choices.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    It's worth it , for like, 30 days....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Blackstar347

I watched him playing it , he is a streamer .  It looked fun but like I said , once you get to max level basically what he said was the mechanics of end game bosses is a joke and he went back to WOW .  That tells me a lot .

Saved me a lot of money basically :) 

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    It is a very highly polished, beautiful game with a fairly fun leveling experience during release. The crafting system needs to be recreated from scratch. The combat gets to be extremely repetitive. There is no point to the pvp, at all. Once you hit level cap... within two weeks you realise that its over, there is no reason to continue playing. If you want something to hold you over for about a month, and want to enjoy some of the best mmorpg graphics on the market, give it a shot.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    If you want something like WoW, Rift is the next best choice IMO. Guild Wars 2 pve is only dungeons and meta events, and the end game is basically running fractals or getting the set of your liking. It's a good game that keeps you busy and helps to have a very active guild.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

The best alternative in my opinion is still Age of Conan

- it´s mostly free up until endgame ( a LONG way)

- great graphics, DX10

- it´s not cutesy pants fantasy, it´s more dark and heads are rolling

- the combat combo system is still the best I ever played hands down

- great stories and interesting quests, some voiceacting for the main quests

- beautiful big open world

- fantastic music and immersion

- but you better get a friendly guild for more fun after lvl20 /leaving Tortage

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I'd just wait until some of the mmo releases this year if I were you. 
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by DocBrody

The best alternative in my opinion is still Age of Conan

- it´s mostly free up until endgame ( a LONG way)

- great graphics, DX10

- it´s not cutesy pants fantasy, it´s more dark and heads are rolling

- the combat combo system is still the best I ever played hands down

- great stories and interesting quests, some voiceacting for the main quests

- beautiful big open world

- fantastic music and immersion

- but you better get a friendly guild for more fun after lvl20 /leaving Tortage

AoC is heavily instanced with narrow zones is it not? If that has changed I would be up for going back to check it out and agree with a lot of other stuff you posted.

OP, as for GW2...I believe it is the best mmorpg to keep in your stable as a go to. The leveling experience is fantastic, but it does get boring at max level. I return to it every now and then to play around, and they have been pumping out content fairly regularly. As for Rift, if you are sick of the content in wow, Rift might grab you. Beware the wow people now playing the game....its a changing baby, not sure how it will end up.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Op

If your interest is WvW. It is not as good as ps2, your better sticking with ps2 if mass pvp is your your thing. Gw2 is a decent all rounder mmo, but WvW ain't that good compared to daoc, ps1, ps2 and even war.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    If you are looking to pass some time and aren't trying to make this your main MMO, then I highly recommend it. It is fun to play through and will keep you occupied for a month or so. If you are looking for a virtual world to lose yourself in and like normal endgame activities like raiding, gear collection, crafting, and playing the market, then this isn't for you. The WvW PvP isn't bad if you don't mind the anonymity of it all. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?