Rift Cash Shop

123457»

Comments

• pmilespmiles Federal Way, WAMember Posts: 383

Maybe rephrase it from Pay to Win to Pay to Fast Forward... same outcome... players hate that other players can get/do something in half the time it took them.  They want to be top dog first and don't like that their throne is but fleeting.

The whole game is about swapping gear.  Gear changes all the time... endlessly.  People tire of the grind so they simplify things by buying it.  End result is the same.  They still have to swap gear like everyone else.  They just do it differently.

• BattlerockBattlerock Youngstown, OHMember CommonPosts: 1,393
    F2p doesnt mean free. These cash shops just justify my wow sub all the more.
  • darkbirddarkbird washington, DCMember Posts: 11
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    The other day, I was Playing my Necro in GW2 and decided I wanted to respec into a full condition build. I used Karma to purchase 4 of the 6 pieces of armor with Rabid stats that I needed. Unfortunately, the coat and boots are not available from Karma. So, my options were to do the same thing I did on my Mesmer, Run Honor of the Waves over and over until I had the tokens to buy the 2 pieces from that vendor, OR, the choice I made was to buy some gems from the cash shop, and convert 20G worth. I then purchased level 80 exotic versions of Khibron's Coat and Boots off the TP.   Guys, Stop raising red flags on the P2W scam where there aren't any. Paying to bypass content only to a certain point, is NOT pay to win. If the BiS gear can ONLY be obtained through game play, then you cannot pay to win. You must play to win.

Unfortunately, you used one of the ONLY games with a cash shop that isn't insane as an example.

Neverwinter? Disgusting.

SWTOR? Disgusting.

Star Trek Online? Disgusting!

Rift? You guessed it! Pretty disgusting.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Hampton, TNMember Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    F2p doesnt mean free. These cash shops just justify my wow sub all the more.

f2p means spend as much as you want. I've played star trek for free, lotro for free, perfect world for free, runes of magic for free,  path of exile for free, even a little allods for free. I started DDO for free and now pay a little once in a while.

All content in RIFT is free as of Tuesday. Someone wanting to start a new MMO can play RIFT for free all the way to max level. Or maybe they'll spend a few dollars on bag space or extra character slots. Someone with an, "I want it all now," mentality might charge up several hundred dollars over the next year, but that's on them.

A new player in WoW, on the other hand, will need to purchase all expansions to get to max level plus pay the subscription after the first month. Even getting all 5 iterations of WoW on sale, that person will spend around $230 to play WoW for a year.

So you can keep your WoW if you want. What the heck? If you're going to spend that much money just to be allowed to play a game, it might as well be for a game as good as WoW. Most RIFT players, though, will play a good game and spend a whole lot less money than you over the next year.

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 76
    so 1000 players will leave probably, another 10000 will come because of F2P, you guys keep whining, afterall this is the MMORPG community.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

• HomituHomitu Hometown, HIMember UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Is there any way to convert in game gold to RP, like in GW2?  It's a system I've quickly learned to to love, as it has allowed me to buy several cash shop items without actually ever paying a real life dime.  
  • iamflymoloiamflymolo Hampton, TNMember Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Is there any way to convert in game gold to RP, like in GW2?  It's a system I've quickly learned to to love, as it has allowed me to buy several cash shop items without actually ever paying a real life dime.  

If a player with store credits wants in-game gold he can use his credits to purchase "rex," a consumable item that gives a player in-game 1250 store credits. That person would then sell the rex on auction or in trade for platinum. So if you had a bunch of platinum you could purchase rex from a player to get your credits.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,012
    I've been playing on PTS off and on for the last week.  I really like how the cash shop is set up.  I like how it gives you the choice of what currency you want to use.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne UKMember RarePosts: 3,517
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I've been playing on PTS off and on for the last week.  I really like how the cash shop is set up.  I like how it gives you the choice of what currency you want to use.

And Torvaldr is one of the most critical Rift players around here folks... :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jpnolejpnole Tampa, FLMember UncommonPosts: 1,672
    Originally posted by Arrogant_Wormy
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Equivalent bags are readily available from other players in the auction house. This isn't an asian game where the only way to get more bag space is to pay cash for it.

Does it matter.... you can buy the currency for the shop from other players too. Doesn't change the fact that they are doing it.

I am so tired of Free 2 Play games and cash shops, that I am writing off the 11 months left on my year sub, because they will not refund it.

Do a charge back with whatever form of payment you used. Lately, I've been seeing many posters claiming to get full refunds this way in various forums such as D3, Neverwinter... basically any MMO out there. Google it. Remember, you have buyer protections when using Paypal or any other bank debit/credit card. 

Edit: I just saw an earlier post where OP says that didn't work. I guess it pays to use only credit/paypal and leave debit for groceries.

• jpnolejpnole Tampa, FLMember UncommonPosts: 1,672
    Originally posted by Xsorus
    A. If all you do is dungeon at the end game, Why the hell would you spend real money on Dungeon Gear? I mean..Dungeons aren't exactly hard.. and i certainly would never spend money on that type of gear that I can easily get...If you're dumb enough to do that then that's your own fault. B. The Dungeon Gear you can buy is being sold not for you, the person who's end game is nothing but dungeons, but for Raiders...and people who only raid..That's who the target market for that gear is..Because if they want to level a new character for raids they can simply spend plat on the gear now, or buy it instead of gearing out their new toon. That is the targeted market for that. C. Unless something gives you a massive advantage in PVP, and you can't obtain it in the game very easily, crying about this cash shop is pointless.. They're giving you all the content of their game for free..Don't bitch about them trying to make some money that's not putting you at a disadvantage.    

Mostly because you have to compete on rolls with 4 other party members. Easier to just buy it with money you would have used anyway on sub time.

• danwest58danwest58 Cincinnati, OHMember RarePosts: 1,714
    Right now Trion is in a big hole with investors.  They spend over $100 Million on defiance and if I remember correctly end of nations is nearing $80 Million and is going to be F2P right out of the gate.  Storm Legion was good however there are few players left in todays MMOs that want to do the gear grind just to be in end game.  So Trion right now is trying very hard to get as much money as they can to pay off investors.  What happened when they cannot pay off investors.  Yep thats right shut down.