Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Good Sci Fi Game

rakattrakatt Member UncommonPosts: 14
As the title says, I am seeking a good  sci fi game. I've been hooked on SWTOR but am becoming bored. I am wanting to find something new. I've downloaded Anarchy Online. However, I still feel like I want something else.  Preferably F2P or a free trial to try it out first.  After trying out SWTOR, I became a sub.  So, I am not against purchasing a subscription. 

Comments

• irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124

Earth Rise I  got into earth rise alpha from signing up., http://www.play-earthrise.com/game

Theres also repopulation which you might be able to buy alpha access for this http://www.therepopulation.com/

Star trek online just had a huge update aswell new (class) species, although it is perfectworld http://sto.perfectworld.com/legacyofromulus

Theres SWG Emu aswell I suppose maybe I can get away with adding this, all you need is the cd files via torrent, then get emus launcher and play with an average of 1500-2000 players on the server. I stopped playing this about a month ago its playable to an extent. loads of fun. http://www.swgemu.com/forums/?r=179-Install-SWGEmu

Top two are new, there maybe others I have forgotten

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by rakatt
    As the title says, I am seeking a good  sci fi game. I've been hooked on SWTOR but am becoming bored. I am wanting to find something new. I've downloaded Anarchy Online. However, I still feel like I want something else.  Preferably F2P or a free trial to try it out first.  After trying out SWTOR, I became a sub.  So, I am not against purchasing a subscription. 

Unless you want to try out EVE you won't find anything remotely as good as SWTOR in the current MMO sci fi offering, despite what many Old Republic haters on these boards have to say about that.

Maybe you could try out some quality single player titles like Deus Ex Human Revolution if you haven't done so already.

• ElvellonElvellon Member UncommonPosts: 5

If you don't mind an FPS style then I highly recommend Firefall. http://firefallthegame.com

It is has dynamic events with SWG style crafting. There's always something to do. It also has e-sports PVP. The game is in closed beta at the moment but if you sign up on the forums I'm sure one person will more than be happy to give you a 24/7 beta key.  There have been open beta weekends but so much has changed since. 

With the latest patch the game just keeps getting more awesome. The dropships added make the game environment more alive. Day n nights are beautiful.. and the beaches, wow. AI is very challenging. Gear is crafted by you and all gear is different. There is a lot more but I suggest checking it out for yourself :p 

If anyone is interested in the game I suggest watching the latest twitch feed(just posted 2 days ago) which explains the history of Firefall to the present and what plans they have for the future. There are things I just can't wait to see. 

http://www.twitch.tv/r5studios/b/410757719

Interesting vid on the size of the gameworld. The pink area is what's playable in beta at the moment. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjzmnUV2WQc

Hope to see any of you guys in game. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    If you don't mind FPS's and mass PVP, then maybe PS2?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

TSW is a good sci-fi game. It will at least be a nice change of scenery.

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Defiance and Warframe are two other decent options for Sci-Fi MMOs.

I haven't played Planetside 2, so I can't vouch for it.  I won't play any SOE-developed game for now.

• Gave in and bought $20 founder access to Firefall
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

Keep an eye on Wildstar.  It will be one of the better Sci-fi MMOs (just my opinion from what i've learned so far about the game).

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Defiance is newer, but not sure if it has a trial. If you haven't tried DCUO (it has some sci-fi elements being in a comic book universe), I would suggest it. I put the game off since it came out, but started playing recently and after a month or so, seems like a pretty decent game. It seems to suit alot of different play styles and preferences.....and it is f2p or sub. I subbed after my first day and haven't looked back (granted I am only in my second month). The other thing that has caught my attention, is the community in game is pretty good overall and very helpful(forum community seems to whine alot). I could go on, but then I would feel like a shill. Anyway, if you haven't tried it, look into it.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Vlacke

Unless you want to try out EVE you won't find anything remotely as good as SWTOR in the current MMO sci fi offering, despite what many Old Republic haters on these boards have to say about that.

Maybe you could try out some quality single player titles like Deus Ex Human Revolution if you haven't done so already.

I absolutely abhor SWTOR as a steaming pile of dog shit, and I would actually agree with you.  Eve Online is a much different type of game than TOR and is super hard to get into.  Someone mentioned Firefall and that might be a good game to try as a change of pace, though it wasn't really my cup of tea.  Sci Fi MMO's are really hard to come by right now unfortunately.

Originally posted by Robokapp

EVE's not super-hard to get into. My nullsec corp absorbed last month a small group of players (about 15) who were all characters made in late april. After the first days of "crap i can't kill anything, anyone want to rat with me ?" once they started getting settled in and learned how to use jump bridges and reached BC ships, they stabilize and are coming to pvp fleets and everything.

you get 15 days trial, and a free 30 days with the purchase of first month. another 7 days if someone refers you.

by the time you are out of the free period and enter the first payed month you're already functional at nullsec level if you have a good corp.

30 days is all it takes to get set up if you want to rush to nullsec. Seen pilots come much sooner than that and it's a bit ugly but also doable.

As a former Eve player, and absolute lover of the game I think you hit on what has long been known as the key to getting into Eve.  Find a good group of people to play with.  I don't have the little graphic anymore that shows the learning curve of Eve compared to other MMO's but lets be honest, that game can be daunting if you go in with no idea what to expect.  That said, if you find some cool people to help you learn, it's a fucking blast.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    That picture was more accurate when it was dwarf fortress.
    Originally posted by Robokapp

you're very right, and actually...these new players that we absorbed came from a small corporation that lived in high-sec.

what happened is...they made a mistake. Someone asked them to declare war on another corp, and they ended up perma-camped by tier 3s and hunted down like animals by this much stronger corp.

to escape this they chose to refugee in nullsec where we would protect them.

their mistake wasn't game-related as much as metagame-related, but a mistake regardless.

they also won't stop fitting afterburners to Rifters and keep getting caught in bubbles...but that's another story :)

LOL, you found the picture.  I remember coming across this after spending a lot of time on the Eve forums trying to educate myself about how the game worked.  It hit me at that time as absolutely true and still makes me smile today.  I can't think of any other game where I spent as much time trying to learn the game as I did with Eve.  The awesome part for me is learning something and having it make a huge impact on my game play experience.  Ah...fond memories.

• rakattrakatt Member UncommonPosts: 14

Thanks for the replies.

Wildstar has been on my watch list for a few weeks. I am really looking forward to it! I was going to check out Eve Online tonight. However, the servers and such are under DDOS attack. Firefall looks interesting. I will check it out.

It is a shame there aren't more good Sci-FI MMOs. I love SWTOR but yeah, it does have some flaws. What game doesn't though? It isn't as bad as they say, however. Star Trek Online captured my interest. A couple friends tried it and mentioned its worse than SWTOR, LOL.  The Sci-fi genre needs more games.

Have ya'll heard of Fallen Earth? While searching, I came across it. It seems to have decent feedback. Does anyone have experience with it?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by syntax42

Defiance and Warframe are two other decent options for Sci-Fi MMOs.

I haven't played Planetside 2, so I can't vouch for it.  I won't play any SOE-developed game for now.

Warframe is not an mmo.. also not playing and SOE developed game is keeping you from playing a great f2p game.

Anyway @ OP i think the other people have prob mentioned them all.

STO

Eve

SWTOR

Defiance

Firewall

TSW i guess but not sure if that counts as sci-fi lol.

PS2

Fallen Earth

Eve, Fallen Earth and PS2 are the only ones really worth checking out, but if you do consider TSW as a sci-fi then add that to the list.

oh wait and how can i forget Anarchy Online.. tho its pretty old and I am not sure how it is these days but it used to be awesome..

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Fallen Earth is very cool for what it is, i played 15 levels and its still installed, the Wastelands are cool !

Following this thread, im 100% on the sci-fi hype wave, playing Firefall and subbed Eve for 2 Weeks now.

Looks like Eve is my new Anarchy Online :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I dont see what the fascination is with PS2.....That game felt like a poor man's unreal tournament from 10 years ago.....The graphics were better but the gameplay....sheesh.
  • pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Well as Anarchy Online was the best and most innovative mmo ever made I would say that would be the winner if you dont mind older games.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I dont see what the fascination is with PS2.....That game felt like a poor man's unreal tournament from 10 years ago.....The graphics were better but the gameplay....sheesh.

yea, unfortunately they took out alot of the basefeatures that made PS1 as great as it was.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by rawfox

Fallen Earth is very cool for what it is, i played 15 levels and its still installed, the Wastelands are cool !

Following this thread, im 100% on the sci-fi hype wave, playing Firefall and subbed Eve for 2 Weeks now.

Looks like Eve is my new Anarchy Online :)

Fallen Earth is a very cool game at first, then around level 15 you just don't feel like logging in anymore and you dont miss it......AO is still my favorite sci fi MMO and still play it to this day.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Being a huge Sci Fi person myself, I will say the only games to keep my interest over a few weeks have been TSW and Eve.  All the others fall into the same rut we all know. You play and your bored after a few weeks.  The only sci fi games I can't comment on are wastelands and fallen earth.

I also agree that Wildstar  is a game to keep on your radar.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online.  The above video shows the type of player interaction and strategy you might encounter with several months under your belt.  Watch closely for annotations to get a sense of what's actually occurring (a casual observer would miss most of it; full screen is best so the notes don't get clipped).

I've been playing for 10 years, but don't have much time these days between my courses and getting ready to be a dad image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance