Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Job Actions Chronicled in New Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During this mornings Letter from the Producer LIVE, Square Enix showed off a new video to shine the spotlight on job actions as they will appear in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I love the overall flashy effects, but will it blend?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm really looking forward to FF ARR, but to me it looks like all the effects are too much alike allover the classes.

All the same sort of "shiny, whirly and booom" thing going on.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

After playing some RIFT recently, let me just say that I absolutely love the FFXIV:ARR animations.

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Agreed,

I'm all for flashy effects for mages/healers/casters. But having them on every melee is silly and an eye sore. I would even be ok with it if the melee effects were adding fire damage (since every melee swing had a reddish fiery effect to it) but i doubt that is the case.

Hoping that they tone down normal melee swing effects and add more/different colors to magic effects... Right now every class is sporting a fire/red effect...

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    I believe the flashiness of effects will be customizable... maybe being able to tone them down a bit... i know they are aware of the "issue" so we'll see what the solution is come release for those that want it little less flashy....
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I might be shallow but this is the main reason why i want to play this game. I'm a sucker for good particle effects. Sure during a party play i might not see my enemy under all this light but it sure will look nice =p
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by QSatu
    I might be shallow but this is the main reason why i want to play this game. I'm a sucker for good particle effects. Sure during a party play i might not see my enemy under all this light but it sure will look nice =p

I'm with you. As much as I am a gameplay over graphics kinda guy....I am a sucker for badass particle effects.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Hurry up SE i want too play.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I don't mind the flashiness when there is a couple people but Epileptics everywhere will go into fits when Raids start
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Was good.

Would like to of seen a bit more oomphf from the Black Mage though. His first 4 seconds are charging and then a water ball hit him it looked like. lol

Dragoon looks intense with all those strikes...he looked by far like he meant business out of all the ones we saw.

Only problem I could see is all that flashes being very distracting or downright annoying in a PVP scenario.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    In the live letter they said there is a slider you can use to adjust that.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by BadSpock

After playing some RIFT recently, let me just say that I absolutely love the FFXIV:ARR animations.

I'm with ya BadSpock. I rather enjoy Rift...but man do some of those animations make me cringe. 

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    The fluidity looks so much better than 1.0. I cant wait for release :)

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• GibocracyGibocracy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Does the range class matter in this MMO?  When i played a ranger in  the original FF 14 it felt like i didn't matter what distance i had on the guy he still hit me.  I hated that, i know they have rooting abilities but it seemed as if distance didn't matter.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Gibocracy
    Does the range class matter in this MMO?  When i played a ranger in  the original FF 14 it felt like i didn't matter what distance i had on the guy he still hit me.  I hated that, i know they have rooting abilities but it seemed as if distance didn't matter.

Some enemies have ranged attacks, some don't.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I love how they changed the class names around to fit the FF11 names better. :) Anyways, animations are one thing, how it manages to play in the end with combat and the 'feel' of classes would be the most important part. Classes just had felt extremely weak in  FF14 compared to FF11 which was a shame considering it was the strongest part of FF11 (I mean heck, Runes of Magic had cloned off of WoW's style a lot, but the one thing they took elsewhere was the class system from FF11.  Yes, thats one of the few games I'll call a clone to that game since its doing obvious things in favor of that)
  • emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310

The flashy effects are not only an eye sore,  but look at the mob after he is hit with a plethora of attacks, no blood, no chill effect, no arrows, no stun effect, nothing.

Also notice all attacks are targeted on the mob, no traps, no ground fire, nothing nada.  This is a terrible video.

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by Murugan
    In the live letter they said there is a slider you can use to adjust that.

^^ This. Set it to the effects you want, everyone is happy =)

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by emperorhades1

The flashy effects are not only an eye sore,  but look at the mob after he is hit with a plethora of attacks, no blood, no chill effect, no arrows, no stun effect, nothing.

Also notice all attacks are targeted on the mob, no traps, no ground fire, nothing nada.  This is a terrible video.

Your nitpicking a video from beta.  This is in no way a representation of all the abilities or all the animations for that matter. [mod edit]. Also I haven't seen many MMOs where you see blood gush from foes ALSO thats not the main theme of Final Fantasy at all.

[mod edit]

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Originally posted by Kaneth

to me the flashy FX is over the top. Too flashy. It doesn't make the turn based combat look any better.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by MondoA2J

Your nitpicking a video from beta.  This is in no way a representation of all the abilities or all the animations for that matter. Saying its terrible is idiotic. Also I haven't seen many MMOs where you see blood gush from foes ALSO thats not the main theme of Final Fantasy at all.

Keep your mouth shut til the game releases or atleast enters open beta.

If you think you can do better...be my guest and upload your own video from an MMO your designing.

Wow, hit the white knight I see.  Yes, it is beta, does this nullify anything I said?  There are no effects on the mob, the spells effects are flashes that have nothing to do with what is cast.  There is no AoE targeted on the ground in the video.  This is a terrible video and needs to be updated with correct effects and show a bit more than a mob flinching.

As for keeping my mouth shut, NO.  That was rude and inappropriate.  You need anger management. 

As for needing to make my own MMO video, why when I can critique this one?  Is there an effect on the mob?  Is there an aoe?  Then stfu.

Originally posted by Tokken

Originally posted by Kaneth

to me the flashy FX is over the top. Too flashy. It doesn't make the turn based combat look any better.

Its not turn based but flashy is way over the top.

• thefedxthefedx Member Posts: 1

Your nitpicking a video from beta.  This is in no way a representation of all the abilities or all the animations for that matter. Saying its terrible is idiotic. Also I haven't seen many MMOs where you see blood gush from foes ALSO thats not the main theme of Final Fantasy at all.

If you think you can do better...be my guest and upload your own video from an MMO your designing.

Wow, hit the white knight I see.  Yes, it is beta, does this nullify anything I said?  There are no effects on the mob, the spells effects are flashes that have nothing to do with what is cast.  There is no AoE targeted on the ground in the video.  This is a terrible video and needs to be updated with correct effects and show a bit more than a mob flinching.

As for keeping my mouth shut, NO.  That was rude and inappropriate.  You need anger management. 

As for needing to make my own MMO video, why when I can critique this one?  Is there an effect on the mob?  Is there an aoe?  Then stfu.

the reason being that is that you keep flaming the game due to its early video presentations, i rather have something to see now since i my self cant get into a beta. and if  having all those flashy moves and abilities is the way most of the modern FF games are , its what makes Final Fantasy. its not Wow or rift or anything. its a world of its own and I really hope they can deliver all of that in this game... Thank you

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes Square does a great job with animation/effects even in the older FFXi it was as good as any games out there.Their classes are fun to play as well and the detail makes more enjoyable.

I will be trying the game again on re-launch,but sadly unlike when FFXI came out ,i am not holding my breathe here.I already tried this game once and was not so much disappointed by it's overall effort but more so i had many small peeves that made it inferior to FFXI.I hope it has improved,i enjoy the high end graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by thefedx

the reason being that is that you keep flaming the game due to its early video presentations, i rather have something to see now since i my self cant get into a beta. and if  having all those flashy moves and abilities is the way most of the modern FF games are , its what makes Final Fantasy. its not Wow or rift or anything. its a world of its own and I really hope they can deliver all of that in this game... Thank you

Understood, but I am not flaming anything.  I will give my impression and drop the topic.  Everyone has said something about the flashing good or bad.  I put in my reaction and the other things I noticed that plagued 1.0.  What I failed to do was acknowledge the  combat in the video is a ton better than 1.0.  I am glad you have interest in this game, it probably will be the best thing out this year.