Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How seperated will the content of different paths be?

impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

This is currently my only concern with WildStar. The idea of different paths offering different content seems great, but I'm affraid of instancing.

How exactly is the content of different paths seperated? Are the same locations available to all paths with different interactions? Or will some content be instanced? I havn't been able to find specific details on this.

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Not instanced, and teamwork is encouraged. Paths will all work together. They call it "crossing paths" which means that say, an Explorer opens up a new underground cavern. He can bring his buddies in and within it a Soldier may find a Holdout, or a Scientist may unlock new unique lore or a Settler may find a quest. The game is built to encourage diversity and working together.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

From what I understand the Scientist and Explorer paths will be able to discover hidden areas exclusive to their path, but if they assist with a puzzle or discovery others can enter the area.  The content they showed so far doesn't seem instanced and it's part of the world, and you'll be able to see other Explorers or Scientists as well as group members doing you on the path quest (as they can assist and get rewarded) plus potentially other people who stumbled onto a discovered area because you unlocked it.

There may be certain paths / shortcuts exclusive to the paths (particularly Explorer) that other paths can't access, but not sure.  Still you should see other Explorers taking those paths at least and you can still bring in group members through those paths.

It seems to me like an optimal leveling party may want at least one of each path so they can do the most amount of content.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

It will be "instanced" off the main map, but it won't be instanced beyond that.

I.E. if there's a Soldier's hold any soldier on the map can activate it, once it's activated pretty much any one can participate.

For the more "instanced" stuff like exploration and discovery you can see the "instances" but you cannot activate them, if a scientists fines a secret chamber, or an explorer exposes a new underground tunnel you have to be in their group to enter it.

But everyone will share the same instances of those paths on the same map, so if you are an explorer and you pop into your rabbit hole you'll see other explorers going the same rabbit hole.

This isn't like GW2 or SWTOR where the story missions are completely instanced off the map, this functions differently but is a bit more closer to how phasing was used in WoW especially during the WoTLK leveling areas.

Currently the only thing that is instanced in WS is:

PVP (BG's, Arenas, War Plots(40 vs 40 Raids, but they will release 20man versions for sure, maybe even 10).

PVE (All dungeons, all raids,  housing(partially instanced)).

• ravareravare Member UncommonPosts: 58

Everyone plays on the same map and you will be questing side by side with other "paths". Exploreers, Scientist and Settlers all have objectives that are in the same area as Warriors.

Every class has the same combat abilities and weapons and armor. Just the missions can be different at times.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I bet there's more content than one would expect, because there's usually very little unique content per path, class or even faction so expectations will be pretty low. However, there won't be as much as anyone wants, because what people want is no overlap between the different paths, classes, factions, etc.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by ravare

Everyone plays on the same map and you will be questing side by side with other "paths". Exploreers, Scientist and Settlers all have objectives that are in the same area as Warriors.

Every class has the same combat abilities and weapons and armor. Just the missions can be different at times.

There are dedicated path abilities both for PVP and PVE.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by impiro

This is currently my only concern with WildStar. The idea of different paths offering different content seems great, but I'm affraid of instancing.

How exactly is the content of different paths seperated? Are the same locations available to all paths with different interactions? Or will some content be instanced? I havn't been able to find specific details on this.

This is just what i've seen from youtube's videos during the stress test. It's been taken down obviously but i've gotten the gist of  how the paths are playing out . So the guy was doing scientist path, here's what i could describe from the video :

In the quest log you'll have a different log ,  path log. The quest log is what everyone does normally, like clearing out the mine with 0/10 type of objective counting or killing animals or collect etc etc , typical quests.  While you are questing on that particular area, you'll encounter a flora with a scientist marker on it , you scan it and your path completion bar fills from 0 to 5% . That's basically what scientist path is, and i could probably assume it's the same as the rest o them. So it basically tells you to scan interesting animals or plants with scientist marker on it in that particular area. When it fills up u'll receive reward and to move along you'll have to go somewhere other area . 

Just you know this more of an assumption that i came from the video i came across 2 days ago. And like many said, it was such a lag that he couldn't perform combat effectively  lol.