Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Tuesday, August 30. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

an approach in death penalty and undead mechanics

xaritscinxaritscin CaliPosts: 350Member Uncommon

now this isnt gonna be a brick thread like my other posts in this forum. take in account that this is part of my own project and it still needs some refining:

the idea is that players when loose all their HP they can get both unconscious or dead, an unconcious character can be "resurrected" by other players. while a dead character has 2 options depending on certain situations:

1. return as a ghost::

ghosts have limited interaction with the environment due to being ethereal, but, they have freedom of movement (can fly, float, swim and sprint at high velocities and even go trought walls), they can also absorb life energy from the living, this life energy stores the same way as a mana bar, they dont have hp, nor have needs since they dont have a body. they cant fight each other or against the living in a proper manner, they have to use things from the environment like rocks, sticks and even some tools. they can also posses lesser beings and corpses for a short time. they count then as undead but return to be spirits after the timecount.

ghosts spend life energy in order to do living activities so they have to keep absorbing energy from the living. they cant gain skillpoints in an active manner due to being ethereal. ghosts are invisible too, but can see each other and they are visible when interacting with other players and NPCs.

2. return as an undead:

undeads return from their actual bodies by the ways of a virus or from necromancy, the faster they return to the world the less chances they have to let someone loot their corpses. undeads have hp and need to rest but for the most part they dont have needs. they are corporeal so they can use equipment and interact with the world. they can cannibalize corpses also. in order to replenish health.

undeads have of course inverse effects with magic and healing effects, they gain HP via necromancy but loose it if healed by other means. they have good resists to the cold temperatures but have it hard with hot climates.

when an undead dies it becomes an eidolon, eidolons are similar to ghosts but they have a life energy bar 3 times longer than the average.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how to resurrect as a living:

players have to meet a set of conditions in order to return to the game as living beings which are:

1. they have to let their bodies to rot, it means their bodies have to disappear so they can return in a new one

2. the need to fill their energy life bar completely

3. they have to call the Grim Reaper, which only appears in graveyards and morgues.

after that is just talking to the death itself. players who respawn appear much like as new players, with standar clothes and no money in the pocket (their accumulated assets wont disappear of course)

the idea is to allow players to interact with the world while dead, not just "talk with an angel and get me again on my equipment", no buddy, you have to take your *ass out of limbo by yourself and get the consecuences of the return...

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Originally posted by xaritscin
    now this isnt gonna be a brick thread like my other posts in this forum. the idea is that players when loose all their HP they can get both unconscious or dead, an unconcious character can be "resurrected" by other players. while a dead character has 2 options depending on certain situations: 1. if the player is healthy, it will raise as a ghost, the ghost will be invisible and will be able to interact with an NPC which is the Grim Reaper, in order to resurrect the ghost will have to gather life energy from the world, this means absorbing HP from other players or entities, imagine something akin to a Dementor sucking the life out of you, once the player has gotten enough life energy, he speaks with the Grim Reaper and respawns in the place he died.  2. if the player had been victim of necromancy or a zombie virus, the character will raise as an undead, undead characters of course will have pros and cons in order to not make them OP. but the idea is that it allows you to return quickly to the action, but if you die, you become a ghost then and have to make the same thing a normal player but the process is 3 times longer.   the idea is to allow players to interact with the world while dead, not just "talk to an spirit master and resurrect with a penalty", no, you have to get your *ss out of the limbo by yourself. huh, a note, the game is planned to have open world PvP with full loot, so you could revive naked even XD  

You can leave out the last line because the game isn't going to happen. We're theorycrafting now, and that's fine. Building arbitrary rules around it just narrow what you can explore.

I think the idea is a good one if there is gameplay to being a ghost other than a repetitive task to try not to be a ghost anymore. If people decided they just wanted to play ghosts, what are five or six things they could do in that state? Maybe some way to level up as a ghost with skills and abilities to gain as they progress?

EDIT: Have you played Ultima Online, and are you familiar with the ghost and looting gameplay in that game?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xaritscinxaritscin CaliPosts: 350Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    now this isnt gonna be a brick thread like my other posts in this forum. the idea is that players when loose all their HP they can get both unconscious or dead, an unconcious character can be "resurrected" by other players. while a dead character has 2 options depending on certain situations: 1. if the player is healthy, it will raise as a ghost, the ghost will be invisible and will be able to interact with an NPC which is the Grim Reaper, in order to resurrect the ghost will have to gather life energy from the world, this means absorbing HP from other players or entities, imagine something akin to a Dementor sucking the life out of you, once the player has gotten enough life energy, he speaks with the Grim Reaper and respawns in the place he died.  2. if the player had been victim of necromancy or a zombie virus, the character will raise as an undead, undead characters of course will have pros and cons in order to not make them OP. but the idea is that it allows you to return quickly to the action, but if you die, you become a ghost then and have to make the same thing a normal player but the process is 3 times longer.   the idea is to allow players to interact with the world while dead, not just "talk to an spirit master and resurrect with a penalty", no, you have to get your *ss out of the limbo by yourself. huh, a note, the game is planned to have open world PvP with full loot, so you could revive naked even XD  

You can leave out the last line because the game isn't going to happen. We're theorycrafting now, and that's fine. Building arbitrary rules around it just narrow what you can explore.

I think the idea is a good one if there is gameplay to being a ghost other than a repetitive task to try not to be a ghost anymore. If people decided they just wanted to play ghosts, what are five or six things they could do in that state? Maybe some way to level up as a ghost with skills and abilities to gain as they progress?

EDIT: Have you played Ultima Online, and are you familiar with the ghost and looting gameplay in that game?

i put the last line cause i wanted to leave a point since this idea is part of my project, (still in the GDD formulation but anyways), and no i've never got to play UO. i only know dead penalties from WoW, Lineage II, Aion and EVE, there's not much to do TBH, everybody wants to get into the action quickly.

the thing with ghosts can be changed of course, just that i need to give it body (note the irony), a ghosts usually just scares and maybe manipulate some objects the poltergeist way but i have to take in account that a ghost doesnt have actual equipment, nor can use some things, it just keeps in the world as an ethereal entity, scaring people and that stuff. or that's how they work in fantasy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: you actually put me to think, thanx for the feedback, gonna post the changes in the OP soon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    now this isnt gonna be a brick thread like my other posts in this forum. the idea is that players when loose all their HP they can get both unconscious or dead, an unconcious character can be "resurrected" by other players. while a dead character has 2 options depending on certain situations: 1. if the player is healthy, it will raise as a ghost, the ghost will be invisible and will be able to interact with an NPC which is the Grim Reaper, in order to resurrect the ghost will have to gather life energy from the world, this means absorbing HP from other players or entities, imagine something akin to a Dementor sucking the life out of you, once the player has gotten enough life energy, he speaks with the Grim Reaper and respawns in the place he died.  2. if the player had been victim of necromancy or a zombie virus, the character will raise as an undead, undead characters of course will have pros and cons in order to not make them OP. but the idea is that it allows you to return quickly to the action, but if you die, you become a ghost then and have to make the same thing a normal player but the process is 3 times longer. the idea is to allow players to interact with the world while dead, not just "talk to an spirit master and resurrect with a penalty", no, you have to get your *ss out of the limbo by yourself. huh, a note, the game is planned to have open world PvP with full loot, so you could revive naked even XD

i put the last line cause i wanted to leave a point since this idea is part of my project, (still in the GDD formulation but anyways), and no i've never got to play UO. i only know dead penalties from WoW, Lineage II, Aion and EVE, there's not much to do TBH, everybody wants to get into the action quickly.

the thing with ghosts can be changed of course, just that i need to give it body (note the irony), a ghosts usually just scares and maybe manipulate some objects the poltergeist way but i have to take in account that a ghost doesnt have actual equipment, nor can use some things, it just keeps in the world as an ethereal entity, scaring people and that stuff. or that's how they work in fantasy.

So that probably should be the deciding factor here. If you can't come up with compelling gameplay for that state, why not just nix the state altogether?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

i edited the OP with the last brainstorming, as you said i added some content to the undead gameplay.
  • anemoanemo Posts: 980Member Uncommon

When MTG was in it's Kamigawa set I figured it's be an interesting idea for a death mechanic.

Your human self levels as normal and similar.   When you die and are not resurrected you get turned into a spirit.

While you play as a human without dieing you build up energy that determines which spirit you become when you die.   Longer life stronger spirit as the simplest rule set, and possibly some rules based one what you were doing as a human(tank/mage/archer/crafter).

When you're a spirit it's your goal to wreck as much havoc as possible to earn a different energy.    This energy used in human form to reduce/negate death penalty, and gain bonuses(new crafting skins, leveling bonuses, appearance modifiers, and stat bonuses that are available through other means).

_________

Essentially an idea to turn players into some raid bosses.   And with good play turn them into some pretty awesome ones.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Originally posted by anemo
    When MTG was in it's Kamigawa set I figured it's be an interesting idea for a death mechanic. Your human self levels as normal and similar.   When you die and are not resurrected you get turned into a spirit. While you play as a human without dieing you build up energy that determines which spirit you become when you die.   Longer life stronger spirit as the simplest rule set, and possibly some rules based one what you were doing as a human(tank/mage/archer/crafter). When you're a spirit it's your goal to wreck as much havoc as possible to earn a different energy.    This energy used in human form to reduce/negate death penalty, and gain bonuses(new crafting skins, leveling bonuses, appearance modifiers, and stat bonuses that are available through other means). _________ Essentially an idea to turn players into some raid bosses.   And with good play turn them into some pretty awesome ones.

that's another one, originally i wanted to use it as a justification for a realistic Dead Penalty, along with the possibility to play as an undead race.

looks like i'll have to put the idea again in the crafting table....