Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

B2P, P2P, F2P...what will you chose?

So with reading so much different info and peoples opinions, lets take a poll and see what wins in the end?!

Let's assume for this poll its a cool game with great content and Dev's who care about and update it to keep it interesting for 2 years for you.

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I really don't know why people separate b2p and f2p, technically they are both the same, only real difference is b2p requires you to buy the client.  What is this f2p with no cash shop? point me to one.

As to the poll I really don't see the point of it, personally I will never touch a f2p game, once all games go f2p I shall find a new hobby, as I refuse to get sucked into  cash cow gaming.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I prefer b2p along the GW2 and TSW model. 
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

Prefer P2P.

B2P = F2P

Don't mind B2P/F2P if implemented correctly, but much much rather sub to a solid MMO.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

In my opinion pay to play because there is no grey area. If its good it lives, if its bad it dies. With over 800 less than spectacular titles in this genre the problem isn't the model itself, its that very few games meet the quality that comes with it. When all you see is one gimmicky cookie cutter after another you start to believe that no MMO is capable of true quality and no MMO deserves a subscription fee, and lately that seems to be true. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It just goes to show you how stupid this argument really is.... Read the OP carefully ....... what are you getting for your sub if you pick that option ? Nothing in there says you'll get more for your sub or the game will be better but like little zombies people pick p2p because p2p is better.....uuuuhhhghh.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    which is Monthly sub?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You can't pretend because there has been no indication that a f2p releases  the same quality and amount of content that a sub based game does.

So if any pretending were done it would be the same as it is now,you get what you pay for.

The ONLY way this is ever going to change is when you get a major sponsor of a game that has something in it for them.

Archeage has a chance just because Korea is a petty large mecca for gaming,geesh MU ONline struck it massively rich from a very mediocre game,putting Webzen on the map.Webzen is not a good developer,but it just shows how you can take perhaps more risks knowing the Korean gaming populace will support just about anything.

In North America ,it seems making a great product is no guarantee,so devs are not going to risk a large effort,just the minimum and market and mislead the hell out of it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I want whatever is cheapest. Publishers will choose the payment method bringing in the most money.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Wizardry

You can't pretend because there has been no indication that a f2p releases  the same quality and amount of content that a sub based game does.

So if any pretending were done it would be the same as it is now,you get what you pay for.

The ONLY way this is ever going to change is when you get a major sponsor of a game that has something in it for them.

Archeage has a chance just because Korea is a petty large mecca for gaming,geesh MU ONline struck it massively rich from a very mediocre game,putting Webzen on the map.Webzen is not a good developer,but it just shows how you can take perhaps more risks knowing the Korean gaming populace will support just about anything.

In North America ,it seems making a great product is no guarantee,so devs are not going to risk a large effort,just the minimum and market and mislead the hell out of it.

F2P aka P2W has gotten out of control, look at neverwinter. That company has been the worst company I have ever come across in MMO history. I have been playing since UO came out, i had my fair share of pretty crappy companies doing some pretty crappy business tactics but none even close to PWE they blow my mind, i am almost %100 convinced this company will have a class action suite against it really soon, thats how bad it is.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Having played GW2 for several hundred hours, and probably more in the future, I'll go with B2P. In terms of value for my dollar, GW2 is tops. 
  • MischiefMischief Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by DamonVile

It just goes to show you how stupid this argument really is.... Read the OP carefully ....... what are you getting for your sub if you pick that option ? Nothing in there says you'll get more for your sub or the game will be better but like little zombies people pick p2p because p2p is better.....uuuuhhhghh.

Na, we are choosing the payment option we prefer.  I personally do not like f2p games because every single experience I have had with f2p has translated to pay to win, some worse than others obviously.  b2p is pretty much the same as f2p with the only added benefit being a very minor financial loss for anyone banned (I don't really like cheaters or terrible behavior in the games I play so that is a plus)    I enjoy p2p the most because it keeps costs consistent (instead of being micro transactioned to death) and I don't feel like all it takes to win the game is my credit card numbers.  Calling everyone that doesn't agree with you "zombies" is sorta thick skulled.  The payment models absolutely impacts the enjoyability of the game separate from how good of  a game was designed.  Also f2p without cash shop doesn't exist, I don't know why its an option on this poll... How would the company make money then?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

I really don't know why people separate b2p and f2p, technically they are both the same, only real difference is b2p requires you to buy the client. 

Technically, P2P and F2P are the same, except P2P requires you to pay a sub.

In F2P games, only a small percentage of users pays anything. In B2P, everyone pays. That's a very big difference.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

No Cash Shop for me.

Since there are very, very few MMOs out there without one (P2P, B2P, F2P), I choose "None of the Above."

P2P USED to be without, but they succumbed, too.

When I buy a game and pay to play it every month (subscription), I expect to get the whole game, not bits and pieces with the missing bits and pieces sold in a cash shop.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    I'd love to see another MMO that I'd be willing to P2P.

Killing dragons is my shit

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Are there any MMO's: P2P, B2P or F2P that do not have a cash shop now? The F2P (with store) option was a bit odd.
  • kizan0601kizan0601 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Evilbytrade

So with reading so much different info and peoples opinions, lets take a poll and see what wins in the end?!

Let's assume for this poll its a cool game with great content and Dev's who care about and update it to keep it interesting for 2 years for you.

Does not matter to me, I would choose based on the company/game play/content/etc, stuff that actually matters other then is there a cash shop or not. Plenty of AAA MMO's out there with good models, Rift and Teras f2p models are the absolute best that does not require you to pay a dime, FF14 Sub only is worth the 15 a month, just gota keep eye out on companies like SoE and Perfect World their f2p models are the worse of the worse.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    why is there a F2P option and a F2P with store option i have as yet to hear of a F2P game without a store if you know of one let me know cause i want to look and see how they manage to make a profit much less pay the bills and employeses.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Mischief

Na, we are choosing the payment option we prefer.  I personally do not like f2p games because every single experience I have had with f2p has translated to pay to win, some worse than others obviously.  b2p is pretty much the same as f2p with the only added benefit being a very minor financial loss for anyone banned (I don't really like cheaters or terrible behavior in the games I play so that is a plus)    I enjoy p2p the most because it keeps costs consistent (instead of being micro transactioned to death) and I don't feel like all it takes to win the game is my credit card numbers.  Calling everyone that doesn't agree with you "zombies" is sorta thick skulled.  The payment models absolutely impacts the enjoyability of the game separate from how good of  a game was designed.  Also f2p without cash shop doesn't exist, I don't know why its an option on this poll... How would the company make money then?

You're explaining why you pay for other games not the game of his example. His question was biased but people still answered without thinking..IE how you get people with trick questions.

I don't care if you want to pay for something, I care that people think paying for a game automatically makes it better. His question is " there are 2 doughnuts that are exactly the same. One is free, one isn't which one would you prefer " your answer is the one you pay for because paying makes it better.

Your explanation indicates his example is actually impossible so you answered the question how you feel it should have been asked.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I don't care if you want to pay for something, I care that people think paying for a game automatically makes it better. His question is " there are 2 doughnuts that are exactly the same. One is free, one isn't which one would you prefer " your answer is the one you pay for because paying makes it better.
    100% agreement, here. There has not been an MMO released in the past few years "worth" paying a sub for, in my opinion.

Take any game, make it P2P, and it does not automatically get better.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Evilbytrade

B2P with optional store. No pure F2P's out there worth your time without stores. P2P pay or no more play, so no brainer for me.

imageimage
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

You choose your games....based on the payment model?!

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Axehilt

You choose your games....based on the payment model?!

Well, they do affect how the game is designed somewhat.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• MoutonDocileMoutonDocile Member Posts: 17
    I don't play a business model...I play games.

If the game is fun to me, I'll play it and support it. It doesn't matter if it's F2P, P2P, B2P or whatever.
  • EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    B2P and also F2P (if it's done right)!
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

The payment model has a huge effect on the design of the game.  Anyway, interesting results so far.  The vast majority so far of MMO fans voting here prefer P2P and B2P.   Which is very strange.  Here we've got 90% saying they want p2p/b2p and 10% f2p.  But in reality, 90% of MMO's now are f2p and 10% are p2p/b2p. 

So basically, the current reality of the MMO market is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what MMO fans are saying they want here.  That means either people say one thing but say something different with their wallets (money is the only voice that actually matters at all), or else more casual players (the kind that wouldn't be voting here) completely dominate the market.