Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Power of Being Silenced by other players.

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

So I'm sure you probably played alot of mmo's where they allow you to report spam on goldsellers. We'll this game has a feature that allows only 20 players out of thousands report you as spam and be able to silence you for 24 hours.  You wont be able to use say chat, guild chat, party chat, or zone chat for 24 hours straight.

So far I seen my friends guildmaster be silenced for 24 by the report spam feature for just shouting for guild recruitments, and quit.

Seen my friend shout out a harmless joke and be silenced for 24 hours, then quit.

Seen people post on NW forums about shouting for groups and being silenced for 24 hours, then quiting.

So what does everyone think about the chat silence system, should other players be allowed to go around silencing other players, or should that be a GM's duty?

Comments

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    That's awesome!  I'm all for letting the server silence the pricks who spam so I can save a slot on my ignore list.  If they quit because of it, the better.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

The system is working as intended, and I think it's great.  I wish more games had the facility to ban people if at least 20 other people find the WTT, LFG and Guild Recruitment spam annoying.  I /ignore most people that fill my chat box with clutter rather than ban them** but anyone who posts a message two or three times, back to back, by using the ALT and Up arrow get reported instantly... and why not.  If someone gets muted for 24 hours there's always voice chat for party and friends, so let them cry a river because they can't type into chat, etc., because I don't give a crap about them or how they feel about their justifiable earned ban.

(**  I've heard claims that /ignore also counts towards getting someone muted, but never seen any proof that this is so.  If anyone can point me at something from PW saying this is so, I'd be grateful.)

Edit:  What Kasta says, too.

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

The system is working as intended, and I think it's great.  I wish more games had the facility to ban people if at least 20 other people find the WTT, LFG and Guild Recruitment spam annoying.  I /ignore most people that fill my chat box with clutter rather than ban them** but anyone who posts a message two or three times, back to back, by using the ALT and Up arrow get reported instantly... and why not.  There's always voice chat for party and friends, so let them cry a river because they can't type into chat, etc.

(**  I've heard claims that /ignore also counts towards getting someone muted, but never seen any proof that this is so.  If anyone can point me at something from PW saying this is so, I'd be grateful.)

Edit:  What Kasta says, too.

I don't think you comprehend. only 20 ppl on the server can silence you. When you have a quarrel with any of em you're out for 24 hours. Agreed it's good that you can silence ppl from trade, general. But from guild or party, srry that is to much

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by kasta
    That's awesome!  I'm all for letting the server silence the pricks who spam so I can save a slot on my ignore list.  If they quit because of it, the better.

But thats just the problem, these people were not being "your word", they were just trying to seek a party or guild recruitments as usual. If everyone reports these people and they quit, you'll lose a huge amount of good player base wouldnt you?  For bad people who spam I could understand but this system being used on people doing honest gaming?  Is that ok?

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Dont act like a jackass in general chat and you wont get mass ignored, sounds reasonable. I honestly didnt even know that was a feature but now that I do, im ok with it as I dont abuse chat so im pretty sure itll never be an issue for me.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    If true, this seems like the perfect feature for a griefer guild to come in and exploit until not a single person is speaking in general chat. Someone should get on that right away.
  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

I guess if nothing else....this shows  that players get irritated about people spamming constantly in the zone chat.

I assume they don't like seeing the zone chat scroll super fast up.....and instead want players to use the correct channels and things for trying to sell their product or sell their guild.

Perhaps maybe a suggestion should be passed on to the developers to create specific channels for guild recruitment and for sales and Price check messages and selling gold on some web site.

I mean its not like you cant already do this on the message forums.....

Also maybe the developers should have people suggest to them that instead of having the boards in the city area only activating a menu that they actually have the advertisements and things on them as well.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

Yes, it's exploitable. I think ban function should have a consequence for misuse, or it will be abused always. Any system that allows people to ban people without consequence for false bans will be abused and is a bad system, it's like killing random people and saying "Let God sort them out" in response to criminal activity.

I think LoL did it correct with tribunal where community votes, then a staff member checks their desicion, and banned person gets a sheet describing what he was banned for.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by fistorm

So I'm sure you probably played alot of mmo's where they allow you to report spam on goldsellers. We'll this game has a feature that allows only 20 players out of thousands report you as spam and be able to silence you for 24 hours.  You wont be able to use say chat, guild chat, party chat, or zone chat for 24 hours straight.

So far I seen my friends guildmaster be silenced for 24 by the report spam feature for just shouting for guild recruitments, and quit.

good

Seen my friend shout out a harmless joke and be silenced for 24 hours, then quit.

you mean making racist jokes, good.

Seen people post on NW forums about shouting for groups and being silenced for 24 hours, then quiting.

spamming like crazy, next

So what does everyone think about the chat silence system, should other players be allowed to go around silencing other players, or should that be a GM's duty?

i think the game is shit, but this is an excellent feature. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    If its 20 people, that is a LOT of people to piss off to get muted for something. In most cases, it likely is deserved as well. I can see it exploited but getting 20 people in favor of it is quite rough. Honestly, I have no problem with it. So long as it requires 20 unique reports from different individuals, I have no problem with it. Only thing I'd say could maybe happen would bump it up to 25-30 people though I don't really think its needed. Its quite hard to get 10 people behind you in doing something, nevermind 20.
  • InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

Wow, that's actually a nice feature. Don't want to be silenced? Don't spam your guild / LFG messages in zone chat. Believe it or not some people actually DO want to have conversations in that channel.

Use the appropriate channels, and you won't have to worry about it as much. Problem solved.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by kasta

It does suggest using some other form of advertisement (other than shouting over common channels).

OTOH, it also precludes some types of selling (barkers) that were once common, too.

No such thing as a perfect social system.

I think this thread proves that already 8 of you disagre with my point of view that GM's should oversee these bans.  Imagine now if you had the power to also silence me in the forum just because you disagree with my first post.  Then take 20 out of a thousand people or more (20/1000) to just disagree with something simple you said, or just not like the fact your recruiting for another guild, or that you typed in caps, and you can start to see how easy it would be for someone to just go around habitually report spaming people, ruining thier gameplay experience for a whole day.
  • tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    If its 20 people, that is a LOT of people to piss off to get muted for something. In most cases, it likely is deserved as well. I can see it exploited but getting 20 people in favor of it is quite rough. Honestly, I have no problem with it. So long as it requires 20 unique reports from different individuals, I have no problem with it. Only thing I'd say could maybe happen would bump it up to 25-30 people though I don't really think its needed. Its quite hard to get 10 people behind you in doing something, nevermind 20.

not necessarily. there are plenty of curmudgeons who seem to make an effort to populate their ignore lists, with such pride they have to announce in whatever chat channel "..and add another to my ignore list" anytime they do so. why they dont just turn off channels they arent actively using is beyond me, since seeing player chat seems to bother them so much.

Originally posted by tokini
    Originally posted by Purutzil

not necessarily. there are plenty of curmudgeons who seem to make an effort to populate their ignore lists, with such pride they have to announce in whatever chat channel "..and add another to my ignore list" anytime they do so. why they dont just turn off channels they arent actively using is beyond me, since seeing player chat seems to bother them so much.

Indeed mate, I'm with ya.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Wow, that's actually a nice feature. Don't want to be silenced? Don't spam your guild / LFG messages in zone chat. Believe it or not some people actually DO want to have conversations in that channel.

Use the appropriate channels, and you won't have to worry about it as much. Problem solved.

and when someone gets muted because a few other player who had a bad day decides they would rather report a harmless convo rather than just turn off the channel...?

you're telling me you havent seen these crotchety types get annoyed because people are chatting in zone or general chat?

Originally posted by Blackaddera

I don't think you comprehend. only 20 ppl on the server can silence you. 

Twenty+ people in that zone or instance, not the entire server as a whole.  I don't see Protector's Enclave chat out in the wilds, for example.

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Hello

Well i guess this is as a good of way as any to save money by not hiring moderators.

Nevertheless this is a system that has the potential for abuse. Any guild with 20 members can effectively silence any one individual or group of individuals.  Arguably if an individual wanted they could set up multiple accounts and lower this threshold.  For better or worse my time in game has been very limited , and i did not look at chat much, are there multiple channels, and can extra channels be created by players?  If not this should be implemented quickly.  

One a side note i find it funny that LFG spam is now considered an offense, when it seems like a few years ago people where calling dungeon finders the end of the social MMO. 

Welcome Home

Rev.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I love it! And if 20 people are bothered at the same time, then something is wrong, don't you think?

Just recruiting? A harmless joke? Who says it was harmless, you?

The sistem is working as intended, and it's brilliant. Reduces the need for human supervision on reports. Love it :)

• JhustynJhustyn Member UncommonPosts: 109
    In most cases, all you gotta do is.....just be cool. The rest will usually take care of itself. :)
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    The system will be abused no matter what.  It is not the job of a handful of people to report spam on people for guild recruitment, or looking for groups or any in game chatter.  However todays MMO players are so anti social pricks and should never have a right to vote silence players.  People who dont want to see LF Guild messages or LF group messages just needs to stay in Single Player games.  People can post it in the proper chat and they BITCH that LF Guild Chat is in the LF GUILD Channel.
    Originally posted by BTrayaL

I love it! And if 20 people are bothered at the same time, then something is wrong, don't you think?

Just recruiting? A harmless joke? Who says it was harmless, you?

The sistem is working as intended, and it's brilliant. Reduces the need for human supervision on reports. Love it :)

Realy? I'm sorry but if you look at real life for instance, where some ppl can be offended by simple criticism on ones point of view or on ones religion. If you transplant that in game you see a problem arising certainly if you can see what power just 20 ppl can have. Let's say you have 1000 ppl in a city and only 20 are offended by your comment IE2% of the ppl in the city you are banned for 24 hours. Not only general chat, trade chat banned but also you can't access your guildchat nor party chat. Now that is pure censoring and an incursion of freedom of speech.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

I don't think you comprehend. only 20 ppl on the server can silence you. 

Twenty+ people in that zone or instance, not the entire server as a whole.  I don't see Protector's Enclave chat out in the wilds, for example.

Still one can create 20 accounts all logged into Protectors Enclave and silence whoever they want. 

Well, I don't think I'll take that postulated "what if" seriously, thanks.

Originally posted by revslave

Hello

Well i guess this is as a good of way as any to save money by not hiring moderators.

Nevertheless this is a system that has the potential for abuse. Any guild with 20 members can effectively silence any one individual or group of individuals.  Arguably if an individual wanted they could set up multiple accounts and lower this threshold.  For better or worse my time in game has been very limited , and i did not look at chat much, are there multiple channels, and can extra channels be created by players?  If not this should be implemented quickly.  

One a side note i find it funny that LFG spam is now considered an offense, when it seems like a few years ago people where calling dungeon finders the end of the social MMO. 

Welcome Home

Rev.

There is one public chat channel called Zone, and Protectors Enclave is the main area people do thier shouts in with thousands of people because its the main starting Zone with the auction, banker, stores, companion store, ect.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Realy? I'm sorry but if you look at real life for instance, where some ppl can be offended by simple criticism on ones point of view or on ones religion. If you transplant that in game you see a problem arising certainly if you can see what power just 20 ppl can have. Let's say you have 1000 ppl in a city and only 20 are offended by your comment IE2% of the ppl in the city you are banned for 24 hours. Not only general chat, trade chat banned but also you can't access your guildchat nor party chat. Now that is pure censoring and an incursion of freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech... ugh.. are you saying that if I for example, want to say whatever filth I desire right now, I should, no matter how many people I offend?

Freedom is something you take lightly, it seems.

If I am free to say thing, it doesn't mean I should, because I might offend some people. So yea, if I say a racist thing, and only 1 of the people reading this particular thread, in this particular site (think particular chat, particular game), I should be punished.