Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Neverwinter: Cryptic's Word on Catursday

2»

Comments

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Wow! All fluff Q & A. What a bunch of PR BS on this interview. This bug was in the game for a long time. There are posts showing the same bug in STO, but no questions about that. Not one question about "Did this bug get copied from STO?". I like many people posting here do not accept this at all. It's about principle and integrity. Yes (maybe) the bug is fixed, but the whole issue should not have even got to the point it did. This bug had been reported much earlier than they are admitting to and I believe the multitude of postings on the forums proves there were many that reported it much earlier like many other bugs that still haven't been fixed.

LIES soooo many lies.

• hatboxhatbox Member UncommonPosts: 45
    You're right! Their attitude is like.." when this cash cow drops, or they find out we're just bleeding what we can..we move on to the next one"
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    This reads more like a press release with the help of this site than an actual interview.
    Not asking the obvious questions of how did you let this in when it was in STO before , and what about all the beta reports , FB remarks and so on about this exploit well before last weekend.
    Seriously Bill , terrible interview.
  • theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    All I can say to the devs only just learning about this exploit and taking "immediate" action is, Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining! Really don't like it when they take their paying player base for fools or children.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Watch all the haters...not one of them will hate on the exploiters...

I don't see what the big deal is, it's been fixed.  It's like if people were still crying about the Rupee bug in Ocarina of Time...it's still there to this day since N64 games couldn't be updated...it was fixed in the 3DS version though hehe.

Use better English.  The word is critics not haters.  The problem has not been fixed, it has been glossed over by Cryptic.  The economy is horribly borked at the moment.  

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Watch all the haters...not one of them will hate on the exploiters...

I don't see what the big deal is, it's been fixed.  It's like if people were still crying about the Rupee bug in Ocarina of Time...it's still there to this day since N64 games couldn't be updated...it was fixed in the 3DS version though hehe.

Use better English.  The word is critics not haters.  The problem has not been fixed, it has been glossed over by Cryptic.  The economy is horribly borked at the moment.  

The economy on mindflayer was back to normal within 6 hours of the AH being restored. Storm in a teacup.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Razeekster

Originally posted by Fendel84M This is more an issue of the players and mostly the haters thinking they know more than the developers about what's going on.  
    You obviously don't know Cryptic's track record and that they have been known for doing such things like this in the past. They are a mediocre company with terrible developers that somehow got brought into the spotlight. Their only good game was CoH which was killed off by NCsoft. 
    Cryptic was doing a fine job of killing CoH before they left.

Cryptic is a bad developer and the amazing thing is that they are actually getting worse with each new release.

Subjective value judgement.   I really, REALLY disliked STO. Its one of the very few games that I've spent less than two hours on, before I gave up and uninstalled it.  Neverwinter on the other hand, I quite enjoy. I currently have a level 53 Great Weapon Fighter, and a level 16 Trickster Rogue.  I enjoy the combat system, the lore and while the graphics aren't bleeding edge, they are good enough for the game as it exists.

I suspect at least some of those who are going into hysterics over the "economy" and other such nonsense, are either guilty of exploiting it  themselves, and/or no longer play.  That would tend to explain the depths of emotion we are seeing from some of them.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    I really wasn't bothered or effected with this exploit, but I would have thought that mmorpg.com would have raised the question: The exploit was know for weeks/months, why wasn't action taken sooner instead of last sunday (5/19)?

Well, if you read the Cryptic version of events, then you''ll see that they "first became aware of the bug on Sunday (5/19)".

Which means they're saying that they never received any bug reports, tweets, emails or any other notification that a bug like this existed. Quite simply, they were not aware of it.

All these people posting on various forums claiming that they told Cryptic about the bug are lying.

Or Cryptic is lying.

But BOTH parties can't be telling the truth, surely ?

Its not quite that simple.  Given how studio politics plays out in some instances, those reports may not have reached the people responsible for making the decision to deal with them.  Look at it this way: Given the nature of some of this, it implicates QA and the coders involved in the use of the legacy code base.  It would be very much in their own best interests to keep this information as minimized as possible. Until it blew up in such a public fashion that the higher ups either discovered it, or it was realized that it couldn't be ignored any more.  I've seen this happen out and about in the real world (far beyond gaming development).

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    I really wasn't bothered or effected with this exploit, but I would have thought that mmorpg.com would have raised the question: The exploit was know for weeks/months, why wasn't action taken sooner instead of last sunday (5/19)?

Well, if you read the Cryptic version of events, then you''ll see that they "first became aware of the bug on Sunday (5/19)".

Which means they're saying that they never received any bug reports, tweets, emails or any other notification that a bug like this existed. Quite simply, they were not aware of it.

All these people posting on various forums claiming that they told Cryptic about the bug are lying.

Or Cryptic is lying.

But BOTH parties can't be telling the truth, surely ?

Its not quite that simple.  Given how studio politics plays out in some instances, those reports may not have reached the people responsible for making the decision to deal with them.  Look at it this way: Given the nature of some of this, it implicates QA and the coders involved in the use of the legacy code base.  It would be very much in their own best interests to keep this information as minimized as possible. Until it blew up in such a public fashion that the higher ups either discovered it, or it was realized that it couldn't be ignored any more.  I've seen this happen out and about in the real world (far beyond gaming development).

That's somewhat my take on it but with the twist that some of those QA testers and closed beta testers were in on the exploit for monetary gains and when the gen public found out about it, the flood gates opened. Thus triggering a backlash they weren't counting on and that's when the people in charge found out. One rarely catches the first mosquito in the process of taking a drop of blood (all depends on where it lands and chooses to feed). But no one can hardly ignore it when a few dozen more of it's buddies show up and hone in on you with the intent to feed. This is when most people become "aware" of the issue at hand and take steps to do something about it.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    You people really think you know what cryptic is doing and that they just ignored the bug ? Idk what's more stupid , people making up conspiracies like that when they have no idea how to run a mmo or what sort of channels you have to go through . The funny thing is you people actually believe the bs you say yet I bet if you tried to start an mmo you would fall flat on your faces, it'd be one thing if a few players played but thousand upon thousands players play the game so they recieve thousands of bug reports and thousands of forum posts on various things, furthermore they don't just camp the forums. It's nice for people to act like they know how to run a business when they have no expirence doing so
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

"The issue was brought to our attention by our players on Sunday morning (5/19) at which time we took immediate action by bringing the Auction House and Astral Diamond exchange offline. To follow the course of events that day."

Lol reminds me of OBama saying "I saw it on the news"

kinda funny considering there were multiple /bug reports way prior to this date.  And at least one locked thread about this topic weeks earlier.

EDIT
    A more accurate explanation would probably be we were aware that this was possible but until it blew up in our face we believed the majority of our players were little angels and would never "exploit"  So we triaged it onto page 10 of our "pending" list while we made sure the cash shop worked.

Originally posted by ckeeton999
    You people really think you know what cryptic is doing and that they just ignored the bug ? Idk what's more stupid , people making up conspiracies like that when they have no idea how to run a mmo or what sort of channels you have to go through . The funny thing is you people actually believe the bs you say yet I bet if you tried to start an mmo you would fall flat on your faces, it'd be one thing if a few players played but thousand upon thousands players play the game so they recieve thousands of bug reports and thousands of forum posts on various things, furthermore they don't just camp the forums. It's nice for people to act like they know how to run a business when they have no expirence doing so

You know, one of the more interesting things about the internet, is that you never really know who you might be dealing with.  You are making some really broad, sweeping general statements, with little in the way of evidence to back them up.  My remarks are obviously speculation. But they are backed up by decades of personal experience in both the production and business side of various operational enterprises.   You of course, are free to believe what you wish.  If you have some evidence, I'd be fascinated to examine it.

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189
    The devs must've taken Blizzard's seminar on "How to Effectively Lie and Ignore Reality".

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by kizan0601
    It's not about the exploiters, 

Sorry but this attitude is WRONG. I am not going to argue they should have fixed the issue as soon as they first got word. However to give cheaters a free pass and say it is the fault of the company for not fixing the bug is just as wrong.

A person choosing to do an act they know is wrong is wrong, period, they have no excuse. 

• DavidCoppafeelDavidCoppafeel Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by tawess

Well... There could also be the issue of the bug being in the legacy department, as in it actually being inherited from STO and either the build was so old it had not been fixed yet (and then overlooked, that can actually happen.) or it was fixed and then some other change triggered a similar problem.

Or we can all just assume the worst and be all pissy about it.

I prefer the first option my self, a lot easier on the karma.

I love how you said this :) Cheers

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913
    Reading Andy Velasquez replies about being quick at fixing exploits is like reading Kip Katserelis saying  "EA is an on online company. We're definitely watching what's going on at Blizzard [with Diablo III], and we're putting in backstops and checks to try to prevent [server problems] from happening [to Simcity]."