Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else?

Comments

• Aussie77Aussie77 Member Posts: 21

I played during beta of 1.0 but in the end I wasn't happy about the gameplay and decided against buying it even though I loved FFXI. I think unfortunately at the time FFXI was so new that I looked past a lot of it's issues. MMO's have become more mainstream and cater to people that don't have a lot of time like myself.

So that being said I'll give FFXIV ARR a chance since it's got the visuals of a FF game but the gameplay has been changed enough to be more akin to the more popular mmo's of today. I think unfortunately I'm more of SEs target audience; I enjoy the copy cats because many of those features are things I feel streamline my gameplay experiences, just wrapped up in a pretty FF package.

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

you bought 1.0 and as it was mentioned before you will get 30 days to try it out, there is an open beta also so in your case you have a darn lot of time to give the game a check up and see if the new build lives up to its hype.

I for one preordered the shizzle out of the collectors edition.

Also if you are wondering. I did beta test 1.0 and was so unimpressed i didnt even bothered with the open beta heck i did not spend much time as a close beta tester, for me it was to bad to play. I have been watching the progress of AAR and seeing all the changes go by which have sparked my interest.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I bough the CE for original and it was the worst MMO i had played in years. Absolutely awful.

Since it costs me nothing again and they are giving me a lot new CE stuff i will download it and see how it goes.

They can not afford a flop second time so they are the one who should be worried. If it sucked again i will simply take my money somewhere else.

Although i don't see much hope for a P2P MMO in today's market.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Final Fantasy XIV was bad at release, but was amazing during the few months before they took it offline for Realm Reborn.  I picked it up for only $9.99 after the free period ended and was thoroughly impressed.  Honestly, I liked the game so much that I'm concerned about whether Realm Reborn will be an improvement or not.  You shouldn't dwell on first impressions with MMORPG's as they tend to improve rapidly.

Originally posted by Ujirik
    Final Fantasy XIV was bad at release, but was amazing during the few months before they took it offline for Realm Reborn.  I picked it up for only $9.99 after the free period ended and was thoroughly impressed.  Honestly, I liked the game so much that I'm concerned about whether Realm Reborn will be an improvement or not.  You shouldn't dwell on first impressions with MMORPG's as they tend to improve rapidly.

Tell that to Tanak who got sacked that 'first impressions' do not matter. If the game was really that huge of an improvement than why more players didn't come back? because in MMOS you seldom get a second chance.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Tell that to Tanak who got sacked that 'first impressions' do not matter. If the game was really that huge of an improvement than why more players didn't come back? because in MMOS you seldom get a second chance.

More players went back than anticipated when they restarted subscription, there is evidence on that, where is your evidence that players didnt go back?

Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

More players went back than anticipated when they restarted subscription, there is evidence on that, where is your evidence that players didnt go back?

Common sense? ever heard of a successful game being shut down in favor of another version of same game? if they had lot of players and were making profit on subs why would they work their asses off to make a new version of FFXIV?

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

It's been like three years since the 1.0 debacle. How can you possibly still be upset about that? Some of the posts on this site really make me wonder how posters can cope with the trials and tribulations of real life if they're so easily upset, disappointed, and angry with something as trivial as an online video game. 

Maybe they're perfectly reasonable adults, but for some reason act like angsty teenagers when it comes to video games. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's ridiculous in a sad sort of way. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Alders
    I thought 1.0 was the worst MMO ever created, and even i am giving ARR a chance.

As I thought, it was only a matter of time.

Welcome back, Alderaan.

Thanks bud.

Let the duel commence?

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I will wait until NDA is released and release is closer to decide.  It seems they should be dropping it soon..?
  • BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66
    According to the beta roadmap (accessible on their website) the NDA will be PARTIALLY lifted on the commencement of Phase 3 (Early June, anyone with a Square Enix can play, free to get, easy to do) Phase 4 will be the open beta, starting in the beginning of August and running straight into the release August 27th.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Played in 1.0 Beta and even bought the 1.0 CE which i regretted for a while but after seeing how the game improved from total garbage to an actual decent game under Yoshi's lead, i decided to Pre-order the PS3 version.

Since you already bought the game before, you could atleast try it out during Beta and the free time you get before passing it off as another failure.

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52
    I will play AAR when it goes into OB to see all the changes. I am quite excited for the release. Even though 1.0 wasn't the best...it definitely was not the worst MMO that I have played. I played and enjoyed 1.0 longer than any of these ftp games with no substance that I have been attempting lately because of the lack of decent options for me.  1.0 had some good ideas that was not implemented very well. The thing that irked me most about 1.0 was not the interface, lack of quests, or art style; it was the fact that I had to search for hours in the bazaar zones to find an upgrade or material that I was looking for.  It was the last game I played that people actually grouped to level which I miss quite a bit. I am so tired of these "mmos" that come out that are really just srpgs with multiplayer lobbies (ie GW2). I could care less about endgame...I want the journey to be fun again.

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I thought 1.0 was the worst MMO ever created, and even i am giving ARR a chance.

My sentiments as well.

To Mr. Bachus, I would say just try out the game when it goes into open beta. If you haven’t done so already sign up to get into the next closed beta phase. Personally I just hope enough people like it this time around and stick with the P2P business model. I don’t want to see the game going F2P. It “almost” never ends well when they make the transition.

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

My sentiments as well.

To Mr. Bachus, I would say just try out the game when it goes into open beta. If you haven’t done so already sign up to get into the next closed beta phase. Personally I just hope enough people like it this time around and stick with the P2P business model. I don’t want to see the game going F2P. It “almost” never ends well when they make the transition.

It depends upon the players really. if they do not support the game second time, SE will have no choice to but to go F2P.

First time players abandoned the game they had to make a second version and now if players abandon the game in droves yet again i doubt they will make a third version.

Yes SE has deep pockets but for how long they will keep pumping their own money into FFXIV without seeing any returns on their investment?

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

My sentiments as well.

I passed on 1.0. I was following it, but decide against it  because I was following SWTOR more closely (friends were buying the game) and all the talk about it being bad were sort of a turn off.

I already pre-ordered my v2.0 digital CE edition of FFXIV. :) It was sort of a "well it's just $50, at worst I'll play for a month, the graphix are so pretty" choice though...

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I was a fan of FFXIV long before its first release, true it let me down but ARR makes up for everything, the game is amazing now and ive already pre-ordered 2 copies for me and my wife :)

August cant come fast enough!

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    All is easily forgiven for myself. The game is fantastic right now as it stands and i would throw my money at it again if i had to pay for it.
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    MMO gamers are very desperate, we will throw money at almost anything that claims to be an "MMORPG"
  • BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    I find myself rather shocked to say that I am going to give it a chance.  They've worked really hard to improve and fix the problems.  I find myself cautiously optimistic which is surprising because I was so disgusted with FFXIV initial launch. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I bought Digital CE because I've always been a fan of FF and really don't have any other games to look forward to (have the extra money to spend fortunately)

I'll play the 30 days that come with it and then decide if I want to pay subscription fees :)

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Its funny to me the people who say they think FFXIV 1.0 was the worst mmo ever created. Especially when those people have GW2 signatures at bottom of page. It tells me two things. One that they grew up playing platform and console games. Not that thats a bad thing... I too grew up on those things, but I always hungered for something I couldnt beat in 2-3 days. So i graduated to rpgs and found my love. Second it tells me they havent played very many mmos besides WoW and GW2.

FFXIV 1.0 wasnt a good game at launch. I know, i was there regretting my 60 bucks spent. But the game became something special after Yoshi took over and many updates. Why else would so many be upset that 2.0 disappoints them because it so little resembles the final version of 1.0. Lastly if you are truly an mmo fan i dare you to youtube FFXIV Ifrite hardmode battle from 1.0 and still think its the worst mmo ever created.

I have read everything Yoshi has released to the public and seen every FFXIV ARR video and I am excited for the game. I am actually going to buy a ps3 just for the game so my girlfriend (who has never played a mmo) can play along with me. I look at how SE has conducted themselves after their failure and how Yoshi goes completely against the normal japanese developer manner in order to reestablish trust in the company and product. I look at how other titles ask for 2+ million in start up fees while not having one ounce of a game, other than ideas, while SE spends 2+ years on redesigning a failed game from the ground up without asking for a dime. Add to the fact that they just fired their president because they lost over 150 million do to this failure.

I appreciate there commitment (this time) to quality of game over dollars and cents. Hence the delays in release. If you as a consumer cant see and appreciate this in a developer then maybe you should just stick to WoW and F2p. The rest of us will be enjoying potentially the best game to be release in that past 5 years.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Its funny to me the people who say they think FFXIV 1.0 was the worst mmo ever created. Especially when those people have GW2 signatures at bottom of page. It tells me two things. One that they grew up playing platform and console games. Not that thats a bad thing... I too grew up on those things, but I always hungered for something I couldnt beat in 2-3 days. So i graduated to rpgs and found my love. Second it tells me they havent played very many mmos besides WoW and GW2.

FFXIV 1.0 wasnt a good game at launch. I know, i was there regretting my 60 bucks spent. But the game became something special after Yoshi took over and many updates. Why else would so many be upset that 2.0 disappoints them because it so little resembles the final version of 1.0. Lastly if you are truly an mmo fan i dare you to youtube FFXIV Ifrite hardmode battle from 1.0 and still think its the worst mmo ever created.

My personal distaste for 1.0 stems from my expectations at the time that SE learned something from XI.  I could not have been more wrong.  1.0 wrote the book on what not to do when developing not only an MMO but a sequel to a loved predecessor.

I personally have played everything under the sun.  The only thing difficult about Ifrit Hard mode was dealing with lag and not being able to move in time.  Once again, fighting the limitations of the game and it's mechanics, instead of the boss itself is a staple of XI and XIV.  It's really a basic encounter made for players not really used to movement, which many FF MMO fans are guilty of.  After all, it was rarely required in FFXI, other than kiting.

I suggest you look up Akylios world first, prior to it's inevitable nerf, if you want to see what a really difficult encounter looks like.

I'm looking forward to trying ARR to see how far Yoshi has taken the game.  Everything I've seen so far looks great but all that matters to me is how well it actually plays and how much solid content they can release.  The eye candy is starting to wane on me when it comes to FF.  I'd like to see some fluid combat and difficult content that doesn't put me to sleep.

• ItarugaItaruga Member Posts: 38

Can't say much more that hasn't already been said....I was a serious beta tester in version 1.0, and hated the game so much I didn't bother buying the game for launch, nor after it. I didn't regret my decision, didn't give it a second thought. I started hearing about all the drama, the firings, the new producer, then kept in touch with any info about ARR. It got my attention, looks good, hope it plays well. I preordered my digital CE, and will be giving this a chance. And that one chance is all it gets. I was a big fan of FF XI when it first came out, have some fond memories and adventures. Been looking to recapture that ever since......

Yeah, ARR graphics look nice and spiffy, but I want fun gameplay, great groups to party with, I want adventure! lol. Real life sucks sometimes and so its nice to escape it now and then...Final Fantasy games have given me that for many years. I couldn't pass up that cool looking chocobo armor being offered in the CE haha :P I am a fan of chocobos, and I sure loved my pet wyvern Nadja in FF XI. I am rooting for this games success, hope it doesn't suck, and will be worth my time and money. Life is short, and precious.....and cash limited. That is all

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Itaruga

Real life sucks sometimes and so its nice to escape it now and then...Final Fantasy games have given me that for many years.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".