Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The MMORPG Invitational - Ready, Set, FIGHT!

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

EDIT: See the results bracket here!  VODs of the matches upcoming!

The stage is set, the teams are lined up, and the first of our planned monthly MMORPG.com Invitational Tournaments for Guild Wars 2 is ready to begin this Sunday, May 26th at 12pm PT (3pm ET, 7pm GMT). Read on for the list of our competitors, the tournament bracket, and all the final details!

WHEN: May 26th, 12pm PT (3pm ET, 7pm GMT)

WHERE: MMORPG's Stream Page (http://www.mmorpg.com/streams.cfm)

CASTERS: John "BLU" Mullen & Grouch

THE TEAMS:

• Made in Meta

• Am I Mad

• Team Sleepy

• Being OP is Hard

• Booty Bakery

• SOAC

• Team PZ

• Academy of the Mists

THE PRIZE:

• 10,000 GW2 Gems (via Gem Cards)

• 5 Rytlock Plushes (courtesy of ArenaNet)

THE BRACKET: (teams matched at random, click for full-size)

THE TOURNAMENT SETTINGS:

The tournament will feature a single-elimination format in matches decided by a best of three and the grand finals in a best of five. Teams will be limited to five players with locked gear and builds. Each map will be set for a 500 point victory condition with individual re-spawns set on a 15-second timer.

The following maps will be in rotation:

• Forest of Niflhel

• Battle of Khylo

• Legacy of the Foefire

And with that, we're all set!  Wish your favorite teams luck, and see you Sunday!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

haha!

gratz to all who got chosen-looking forward to following this!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Made in Meta won last tournament, I'll be watching them closely.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    They're included in this one, despite being EU, because we needed to round out the 8, for what it's worth.  Hopefully NA picks up, and we'll start to have both NA and EU tournaments mixing with wider brackets.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Guru mentioned they had a larger than expected pool of US folks wanting in their next tourny - talk to them for your future invitation :)

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    You could only find eight teams.......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    We wound up with a couple over the 8 needed, after the first 8 were selected.  The next one should have some new faces.  :)

My Review Manifesto

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Yea can't wait blu and grouch this is gonna be great
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Glad to see Grouch commentating, he's been solid on the GW2Guru tournaments.

Can't wait!

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Can't wait to watch.
  • SAtaarcoenySAtaarcoeny Member Posts: 12

Glad to be an a MMORPG tournament. this is the only gaming website i ever used.

Go AIM.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

So the teams are playing in pvp tourney against eachother right?

How does that happen if everyone is on other servers?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just don't understand how they could all play eachother.

Could someone *please* explain it?

• Swammy22Swammy22 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    I haven't played GW2 for awhile. If I remember correct ArenaNet is working the ability to watch these matches in the game. Is that correct?
  • lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108

Funniest thing I've seriously read all year. GW2 has to have the WORST pvp at of any mmo, and they are making a TOURNAMENT roflmao....

They should stick with the part of the game that isn't totally awful, pve...

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by lolunatic

Funniest thing I've seriously read all year. GW2 has to have the WORST pvp at of any mmo, and they are making a TOURNAMENT roflmao....

actually gw2 have the best cometetive pvp than any other mmorpg

and if you think its 1-2 button mashing you are mistaken boy

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230

Not a tournament but the third in three weeks time you jelly, jelly boy. Nice trolling though.

The EU scene seems to be serious business already. Let's see how NA teams are performing tomorrow. Show us some good matches, guys! I can't wait to see you.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by saurus123

actually gw2 have the best cometetive pvp than any other mmorpg

and if you think its 1-2 button mashing you are mistaken boy

Yea it's so good people are lining up to see it! It's so good GW2 streamers reach 100k views on Twitch it's that good! I mean this topic clearly is the center of attention with its 16 comments. I mean this tournament is blowing up all over the place, so many people are interested! Oh wait.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Can someone remind me what the definition of a troll is?

Hypothetically speaking, if a poster only has hateful things to say about a game at every possible opportunity, does that mean their a troll?

Originally posted by caremuchless

So the teams are playing in pvp tourney against eachother right?

How does that happen if everyone is on other servers?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just don't understand how they could all play eachother.

Could someone *please* explain it?

The Custom Arenas appear in the PvP server list on every server and anyone can enter them even if they are on different server they can join the custom arena where the Tournament is held.

Originally posted by grstevens
    I haven't played GW2 for awhile. If I remember correct ArenaNet is working the ability to watch these matches in the game. Is that correct?

That's already in game has been since the April 30th patch

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Yea it's so good people are lining up to see it! It's so good GW2 streamers reach 100k views on Twitch it's that good! I mean this topic clearly is the center of attention with its 16 comments. I mean this tournament is blowing up all over the place, so many people are interested! Oh wait.

If not 100k but 1.8k+ on the first and 4k+ concurrent viewer count on the second EU tournament last Sunday on Twitch with no advertisement at all. There's no doubt that people are interested.

Currently everyday GW2 streamers are not long time YT celebrities or esports legends who bring their massive fanbase to Twitch. Why would thousands of people watch them and how's that connected to the popularity of GW2 tournaments? Oh wait, I know the answer. You just love GW2 and you care about its success. No need to worry my friend, it's doing pretty well.

• JonayloJonaylo Member Posts: 2
    This is the first GW2 stream that I'll be watching.. I remember looking at GW1 and learning things I could later use in arenas.. This is fun ^^..

Just be yourself.!

• dasfxdasfx Member Posts: 1

amd you know ALL THE GAMES to say that?

I, otherwise haven't seen a best PvP than the Ultima Online PvP

That was the best PvP, ganking style ever!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    We're live guys! Be sure to tune in!
  • MaeryxMaeryx Member Posts: 1

Watching from Sydney, Australia

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Awesome match between MiM and Team Sleepy, extremely well matched!

Time for finals :)

Go Team Sleepy!