Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or...

13»

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I think your right it is cartoony and goofy,which is fine to me,we have enough MMORPG's that take themselves too seriously and want to be the dark and brooding cool guy in the corner.
  • ZakaneZakane Member UncommonPosts: 71

What happens to us when we grow up? Why do so many people think as soon as you get to old your no longer allowed color things. Yes it look like a cartoon - but I know allot of adults who love Shrek and many other type movies like it.

The target audience for this game is gamers of all ages or at the very least a good chunk of them.

It has violence, crude humor, dark humor and many other things that adults can enjoy.

So no don't think it looks or feels kiddy or aimed for kids.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Zakane

What happens to us when we grow up? Why do so many people think as soon as you get to old your no longer allowed color things. Yes it look like a cartoon - but I know allot of adults who love Shrek and many other type movies like it.

The target audience for this game is gamers of all ages or at the very least a good chunk of them.

It has violence, crude humor, dark humor and many other things that adults can enjoy.

You're right, in fact I'm going to ask my mom to find my GI Joe because playing with it 37 years ago wasn't enough. Give me a break about the overall target market based on their trailers and advertising. Wrong!

There Is Always Hope!

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by keithian

You're right, in fact I'm going to ask my mom to find my GI Joe because playing with it 37 years ago wasn't enough. Give me a break about the overall target market based on their trailers and advertising. Wrong!

Though, that's not a good analogy at all. The average age of the MMO player is really up there. And going on what WildStar is prioritizing, it seems to reach out to the somewhat more "old school" players as well, so it'll probably have an older playerbase.

I expect the average age of the WildStar playerbase (after settling in a few months) to be around 30.

EDIT: Maybe it's a cultural thing. For example, the Americans have traditionally seen comics as "childish" whereas the French-Belgian comics such as Tintin has had an established grown-up readership for a long time.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by keithian

I'd play a GI Joe video game if it was done well.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Nikopol

Though, that's not a good analogy at all. The average age of the MMO player is really up there. And going on what WildStar is prioritizing, it seems to reach out a bit of the more "old school" players as well, so it'll probably have an older playerbase.

I expect the average age of the WildStar playerbase (after settling in a few months) to be around 30.

You do realize that the average age of most playerbases is around 30 right? WoW's last I checked was 31.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Though, that's not a good analogy at all. The average age of the MMO player is really up there. And going on what WildStar is prioritizing, it seems to reach out a bit of the more "old school" players as well, so it'll probably have an older playerbase.

You do realize that the average age of most playerbases is around 30 right? WoW's last I checked was 31.

Sure. That's the whole point. These stylized graphics games do not necessarily have a younger audience is all I'm saying. Granted, some do, such as the 101 games or Clone Wars Adventures; but others like WOW don't.

WildStar will probably bring in some young players as well, but I think the old-timers they pull in with semi-old-school design decisions will level it out at a reasonably high average age.

When it's all said and done, I'm guessing games like TERA and even ArcheAge will have a younger audience than WildStar. Maybe even TESO.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

Sure. That's the whole point. These stylized graphics games do not necessarily have a younger audience is all I'm saying. Granted, some do, such as the 101 games or Clone Wars Adventures; but others like WOW don't.

WildStar will probably bring in some young players as well, but I think the old-timers they pull in with semi-old-school design decisions will level it out at a reasonably high average age.

When it's all said and done, I'm guessing games like TERA and even ArcheAge will have a younger audience than WildStar. Maybe even TESO.

TESO will almost definitely have a younger playerbase (at least at first) because of the influx of console players.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

It just has a sense of humor, like WoW funny enough. I think they are just trying to appeal to a diverse group of players. Someone might be interested in doing the settler type stuff rather than just doing a straight up combat role. But they have all that hardcore combat stuff too. In fact it looks like they are appealing to the hardcore raiding crowd more than any MMO since Vanilla WoW.

I applaud them for adding diverse gameplay elements. Not all that stuff is just for kids. A lot of people think any type of video game is kids stuff. I know my parents generation would have never thought of playing video games for hours a day as an adult. When you became an adult you put away your toys. And in essence video games are toys.

Its not really all the diverse if its all aimed at raiding and getting people to raid. This to me is its major flaw. I didn't particularly enjoy the 40 man raids in WoW that took forever to form so 10 players could role for one loot drop for their class (More if there were ninja looters on board) if they were lucky, rinse repeat.

Yeah I hear ya there. 40 man raids were a pain to get together, even bigger pain to keep going for hours with people leaving and then the time came for loot rolls ..... UGH. I believe if you want to make raiding hardcore and challenging I am all for it, but reward all who participate! Having to run, run, and re-run the same raid over and over and over is not my idea of fun or "hardcore". Hopefully with Wild Star they will put some humor and fun into the mix and make it enjoyable.