Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic ... in the shitter

Comments

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122

You know something...I see these post about how <insert game name here> is failing, going to fail or isn't enjoyable...yet the people in forums saying this are doing just that...in forums talking smack, while the people who think otherwise are actually in the games playing them and having fun.

Just saying, a lot of games that are said to be doing poorly or gonna fail are actaully populated and fun to play....there are many other games that nobody is talking about that has nearly no population and is pretty boring to play or the grind is so long and boring that it makes a game not fun to play, yet nobody is talking about how these games are still around....they just want to act like the most popular games are failing...but wait, what's often going on with these games?

1. They still push lots of updates and still doing expansions

2. They still have a lot of new players joining (I see hundreds of basic noob questions in swtor everyday indicating a new player)

3. The servers are still laggy and they had to expand the number of instances to thin out the crowds of people causing such lag in heavily populated places life fleet.

4. They are clearly making money still

5. They aren't laying people off like Trion

So I don't understand why so many people spend their time talking about how bad a game is or how it's failing or gonna fail, when I see the total opposite when I play those games they speak of.  SWTOR  hasn't even been around long enough yet....give a game 3 or 4 years first before you start saying it's a failure.

And my god, if I keep hearing every game compared to WOW I'm gonna be sick....I'm sorry, maybe WOW subscription set a standard that is too high for any MMO to reach....think of it this way, Michael Jordan left an aura on the NBA in which every seemingly talented player coming in is quickly compared to him...MJ was the best and to many is the greatest of all time and did things that will never be the baseline standard in Basketball...he exceed those standards...therefore it's unreasonble to say that anybody who doesn't reach the level of greatness that MJ did, is a failure....by that line of thinking, every NBA Player that is not MJ and who has not accumulated the accolades that MJ achieved are just failures.

Sorry that's flawed thinking...WOW subs might just be the MJ of MMO's...it's not reasonable to expect any game to reach the level of success as WOW....but just because a game doesn't, in no way means the game is a failure or is gonna fail.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Karteli

This isn't a love thread or a hate thread.  Just a thread as it stands.

Patch 2.1 just hit, and .. oh! What a whopper that was.

Cash shop items galore.  Even a new race, the Cathar.  Plus so many extra's!

SWTOR seems like it is somewhat losing luster amongst fans.

If I were to say one thing that SWTOR had other games didn't, it was class stories, but even MaKeb FUBARED that up.

Cartel Market!  Oh what a blessing to the Star Wars Universe!

Great game, it's F2P !!

The horse is dead. long live the horse.

Regardless I do agree with you.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Davynelord

Not as much as other MMOs, who give more for less money, and the expansion was inititially going to be a FREE update. SWTOR no where near has gotten as many updates as STO. within the year it has got Season 7 and a FREE expansion, plus is getting Season 8 and Season 9, 2 more major expansion-like updates, as well as other updates, all for less money. The amount people have to pay to play SWTOR, BW should be dishing out updates on a daily basis.

2. They still have a lot of new players joining (I see hundreds of basic noob questions in swtor everyday indicating a new player)

It is easy to play a F2P game, and people who play for FREE will not support the game. Subs are dropping and the amount of free players are still low. With 2million at start plus about 1.7 new since F2P that makes about 4 million, yet Clone Wars Adventures managed to get 10 million in.

3. The servers are still laggy and they had to expand the number of instances to thin out the crowds of people causing such lag in heavily populated places life fleet.

Even when there are loads of people there can not be loads of people. The more players the less players there will be. I have played the game where I was the only one playing due to these instances. SWTOR is seriosuly badly designed

Not clearly they are not. They have said that revenue has doubled but does not mean that it is making money. If they need $7.5 million to break even (as they said they need 500K subs to break even) then they need to get more than that. If they were getting a monthly average of $3 million and it "more than doubled" to $7 million then that is not making money

The layoffs at Trion mainly affect Defiance, and that game just launched. SWTOR had many layoffs last year. With EA getting the go to make more SW games, I doubt they will layoff more BW staff now, as will use them to create more SW games. They will have more chance at making more money with other SW games than with SWTOR. I will more likely buy a new SW game by EA than spend more on SWTOR.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

According to these forums every MMO is dead, dying or is in shitter.

Good thing i don't take advice of anyone around here regarding what MMO i am going to play and enjoy.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    The biggest super boondoggle in MMO history. slow clap for Bioware for this exquisite demonstration of malfeasance.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Average revenue per month was higher in the c.4 months of F2P than it was before going F2P. They didn't say they were making money and the c.4 months included the revenue from Makeb. And increased revenue doesn't mean they are making money.

They are definitely making money. Servers don't cost that much to run.
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Good thing i don't take advice of anyone around here regarding what MMO i am going to play and enjoy.

What about the official forums full of subbers and BW themselves? Even BW realise that the game is dying and in the shitter following 2.1

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by superniceguy

What about the official forums full of subbers and BW themselves? Even BW realise that the game is dying and in the shitter following 2.1

It's not worth arguing with the defenders. People who criticize SWTOR are making an argument about the product. Defenders are simply engaging in meta-argument: they are advocating against making the primary argument.

It's a waste of time to deal with them.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Not as much as other MMOs, who give more for less money, and the expansion was inititially going to be a FREE update. SWTOR no where near has gotten as many updates as STO. within the year it has got Season 7 and a FREE expansion, plus is getting Season 8 and Season 9, 2 more major expansion-like updates, as well as other updates, all for less money. The amount people have to pay to play SWTOR, BW should be dishing out updates on a daily basis.

It is easy to play a F2P game, and people who play for FREE will not support the game. Subs are dropping and the amount of free players are still low. With 2million at start plus about 1.7 new since F2P that makes about 4 million, yet Clone Wars Adventures managed to get 10 million in.

Even when there are loads of people there can not be loads of people. The more players the less players there will be. I have played the game where I was the only one playing due to these instances. SWTOR is seriosuly badly designed

Not clearly they are not. They have said that revenue has doubled but does not mean that it is making money. If they need $7.5 million to break even (as they said they need 500K subs to break even) then they need to get more than that. If they were getting a monthly average of $3 million and it "more than doubled" to $7 million then that is not making money

The layoffs at Trion mainly affect Defiance, and that game just launched. SWTOR had many layoffs last year. With EA getting the go to make more SW games, I doubt they will layoff more BW staff now, as will use them to create more SW games. They will have more chance at making more money with other SW games than with SWTOR. I will more likely buy a new SW game by EA than spend more on SWTOR.

So, revenue has doubled but they aren't making a profit.  Then the servers are still up and running out of the kindness of EAware's heart or he hope that gamers will flock to the game just cause.  For your fuzzy logic to be correct, EAware would have to be bleeding heart liberals that keep paying the team to develop more content and keep the servers running because they don't want to add to the unemployment lines.  They are the best!  I mean, I want to work for a company that will keep paying me for loosing them money!   

Originally posted by Latronus

So, revenue has doubled but they aren't making a profit.  Then the servers are still up and running out of the kindness of EAware's heart or he hope that gamers will flock to the game just cause.  For your fuzzy logic to be correct, EAware would have to be bleeding heart liberals that keep paying the team to develop more content and keep the servers running because they don't want to add to the unemployment lines.  They are the best!  I mean, I want to work for a company that will keep paying me for loosing them money!   

I was only putting things into perspective.

Making a profit - maybe, CLEARLY making a profit - NO

Making a loss - probably not, but game could still be active due to a contract for a set period of time or just breaking even, CLEARLY making a loss - NO

The game has no clear plans for the rest of the year, and NOTHING to get excited about, unlike other MMOs, so they are CLEARLY not putting much into the game right now, and expect people to pay MORE for that LESS effort, which people are CLEARLY getting fed up of. Makeb may have spiked the revenue, but 2.1 and the lack of decent content for the forseeable future CLEARLY shows its going downhill now

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

If I were to say one thing that SWTOR had other games didn't, it was class stories, but even MaKeb FUBARED that up.

Great game, it's F2P !!

Oh Karteli your so funny....now go take your medication like the guy in the white coat told you to do.....

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

and it doesnt help them , that STO have actually delivered on some of their promises

their expansion is quite enjoyable,,and really FREE

Ummmmmm, no you didn't! Did you really just say SWTOR == STO? Like SW Fans == ST Fans? Wow! I don't know if there are two separate yet equally hateful groups of fans of one another. I'm in such disbelief that I don't even know if that last sentence made any sense. You may as well have said, "It's ok if Religion A doesn't have a church in your area, just go to Religion B's church, they're all the same." 

Just sayin.....

this is about games,,not religion, but i know its hard for some people to spot the difference

i like both IPs, , if you dont, then nobody is forcing you to

and just for the record: you dont need ANY churches, or whatever, to practice a religion

all you need is yourself, and some time to spend on it

I was using religion as an analogy, and I linked a definition of that in Google that since you obviously didn't understand it. I can appreciate that you enjoy both IPs and great for you, but I'm just saying that there is a well known rivalry between the fan base of both IPs. Maybe I'm just older, and all these things are now is IP to people, or games, shoot, maybe you've never even watched an episode of Star Trek or even knew it was a TV show. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

According to BW themselves? 

My God, man.. from that link how you arrived to conclusion that BW is telling us that their game is dying. Talk about grasping at straws.

If i go by the official forums of every MMO then i think GW2 is in the biggest trouble and WOW should have shut down atleast 6 years ago.

Originally posted by ignore_me

It's not worth arguing with the defenders. People who criticize SWTOR are making an argument about the product. Defenders are simply engaging in meta-argument: they are advocating against making the primary argument.

It's a waste of time to deal with them.

Oh the irony!! image

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

and it doesnt help them , that STO have actually delivered on some of their promises

their expansion is quite enjoyable,,and really FREE

Ummmmmm, no you didn't! Did you really just say SWTOR == STO? Like SW Fans == ST Fans? Wow! I don't know if there are two separate yet equally hateful groups of fans of one another. I'm in such disbelief that I don't even know if that last sentence made any sense. You may as well have said, "It's ok if Religion A doesn't have a church in your area, just go to Religion B's church, they're all the same." 

Just sayin.....

this is about games,,not religion, but i know its hard for some people to spot the difference

i like both IPs, , if you dont, then nobody is forcing you to

and just for the record: you dont need ANY churches, or whatever, to practice a religion

all you need is yourself, and some time to spend on it

I was using religion as an analogy, and I linked a definition of that in Google that since you obviously didn't understand it. I can appreciate that you enjoy both IPs and great for you, but I'm just saying that there is a well known rivalry between the fan base of both IPs. Maybe I'm just older, and all these things are now is IP to people, or games, shoot, maybe you've never even watched an episode of Star Trek or even knew it was a TV show. 

the only evidence i have seen of this rivalry is in comedy- and cartoon shows

i know a lot of scifi fans, and none of them show that behavior

and even if it was so,,would that make swtor a better game? would it give them more Money?

your analogy is useless

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

see ya later SWTOR, I'm now back to Age of Conan permanently with the membership deals + ingame event they have this week.

I'll leave SWTOR in the oven for some more baking time, until 2014 or so, they just posted what's coming up until August and it's all more of the same.

the only half exciting part is "significant major graphics updates" in August.

heck by the time SWTOR finally gets cool, I'll already be playing Star Citizen with Oculus Rift

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Latronus

Making a loss - probably not, but game could still be active due to a contract for a set period of time or just breaking even, CLEARLY making a loss - NO

The game has no clear plans for the rest of the year, and NOTHING to get excited about, unlike other MMOs, so they are CLEARLY not putting much into the game right now, and expect people to pay MORE for that LESS effort, which people are CLEARLY getting fed up of. Makeb may have spiked the revenue, but 2.1 and the lack of decent content for the forseeable future CLEARLY shows its going downhill now

People are playing and enjoying it (not me, but others are) and the game isn't shutting down anytime soon.  What difference does it make? geeez. The only thing CLEAR is that your definitions of profit, success, fail, etc are not universally held as well as the generalizations with regard to speaking on 'people's' behalf. 

The only thing I will agree with is that 2.1 isn't the kind of update I'M looking forward to that would bring me back and I'm hoping that the updates that focus on immersion, side activities, social aspects, and static NPCs will eventually happen. I am tempted to try Makeb, but Skyrim and next Witcher 2 have me out of the MMO market for a little bit.

There Is Always Hope!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by jpnz

It certainly is in the 'shitter' and is losing players left and right! OMG!

Hang on.... didn't EA say that SWTOR's F2P went great and that they were making money etc etc? LOLWUT?

if you thought that bit was funny then you probably didnt read the bit where someone said that STO was finally delivering on its promises.. truly hillarious image

so many people seem to be playing SW;TOR, and buying, did a couple of low level flashpoints, and these cathar seem to be everywhere.. can't see the point in them myself but people do seem to be buying them.. too reminiscent of WoW's sparkly ponies for me but... come to think of it.. didnt WoW sell a pile of those tooimage

Those "sparkly ponies" in WoW are actually the best mounts in the game because they are the only ones you can still stay mounted on regardless of the terrain. You can even mount up in the water and have a slightly increased movement. Not a lot of people know that.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by sexypanda198
    Tired companies like SOE and EA ruining things. yes i'm aware it is bioware but we all know what EA does to most products. For those who would like star wars galaxies what company would you like to make it if it happened.

Uhh Sony did fine.... So ill say Sony

SOE's SWG-division under Smedley's rule is a today's guide 'How not to run a MMO' for many developers.

This guy did so many things wrong with that game, he thought the customers were dumb f*cks and they wouldn't see through it.

That 'kinda' backfired.

It ended with the game in a comatoze state after the final exodus and nearly empty servers for 6y running on a few thousand diehards doing microtransactions daily and the maintenance of like 1-2 devs before someone finally pulled the plug. Mismanagement from start to finish.

The only thing this guy was ever spot on was the future of microtransactions.

So yeah, let Sony do it again. Success guaranteed.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

lets face it,,no game developer can satisfy such a big, and diverse playerbase

my suggestions: either two different games,,one for casual/pve, and one for hardcore/pvp

or have two of the the biggest devs working together, to make a relly epic game

i would hope for ncsoft and blizzard joining hands on this

make it happen, suits

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Great game, it's F2P !!

Swtor is great game, imo of course, no doubt about. But NOT because being F2P.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Sorry NcSoft has a horrible reputation (similar but not the same as EA) for simply shutting down games "for no reason".  I've stopped playing every game the NcSoft touches  for this very reason. I'd rather not get attached to a game to just have NcSoft shut it down "cause they want to" (City of X). In essence it is no difference than the contempt that people have for EA. However I can handle being bled to death via microtransactions because I can control the bleeding. I cannot control NcSofts petty bickering with developers and their game (Tabula Rasa for example)

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

my suggestions: either two different games,,one for casual/pve, and one for hardcore/pvp

make it happen, suits

swtor satifies neither

The planets suck, look awful and are boring.

mob AI is simplistic and boring. Standing around in the environment like puppets.

No immersion, worlds are dead, no day night cycles

Flashpoints get repetitive

Operations only cater to some hardcore raiders

PvP four or five warzones, repetitive, no open world PvP incentive, boring too

No space sim in a star wars MMO, lazy

but voiceovers, lots of voiceovers in boring, static cutscenes without camera movement

all packed up in a nice dated graphics package and terrible engine

• vadess40vadess40 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by DocBrody

make it happen, suits

swtor satifies neither

mob AI is simplistic and boring. Standing around in the environment like puppets.

but voiceovers, lots of voiceovers in boring, static cutscenes without camera movement

Then why be on here trashing the game? If you don't enjoy it, go focus your time, energy, and effort on something you enjoy! Or have you already done that and you need to now go hate on stuff with all the extra time you have?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    TOR FTW!  

Are you talking with that imaginary voice in your head again Niceguy? is he telling you to say ludicrous things? are you really that upset the game isn't dead a buried like you constantly try to claim it will be? maybe you should join the "toys out the pram brigade" and help it die much quicker, your talents are wasted on these boards.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6349186

Some people are never satisfied thinking that $15 a month entitles them to a perfectly tailored game to their every need.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by vadess40
    Originally posted by DocBrody

make it happen, suits

swtor satifies neither

Then why be on here trashing the game? If you don't enjoy it, go focus your time, energy, and effort on something you enjoy! Or have you already done that and you need to now go hate on stuff with all the extra time you have?

Excactly. I will never understand why people does not spend better their time. All goes to hate instead of enjoyment.

Of course nothing above is true, actually opposite. Except for pvp I would not know, I do not pvp.

This discussion has been closed.