Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: When Should MMORPGs Retire?

2»

Comments

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    How about never.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Ideally : When the last player closes the door behind him/her..

Realistically : When the company starts losing money over it.

I agree.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

Never... yeah.

They should be repriced, made b2p, or given over to private server support so they don't have to maintain it anymore but can be served privately.

Also, big time publishers could collect several old MMOs and bundle them under one subscription service so you can access any one of several dated MMOs for one, nominal cost.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by BahamutKaiser

Never... yeah.

They should be repriced, made b2p, or given over to private server support so they don't have to maintain it anymore but can be served privately.

Also, big time publishers could collect several old MMOs and bundle them under one subscription service so you can access any one of several dated MMOs for one, nominal cost.

Except its not economical to do so.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Muntz
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Great article. I know exactly how u feel vis a vis getting that weird desire and thenext day you have 6 mmos installed.

A few foods for thought.

1) I am not sure what eq server u were using but in the newer ones (vulak fippy) there's still good population.

2) the one game that really bucks the trend is eve online... older than wow but still pop is increasing not decreasing. Why?

Really for the experience Eve offers what is the alternative? Something I've never seen on these forums "Eve-clone" It's uniqueness with a very dedicated fan base gives it longevity. I don't think that is something easly to duplicate. 

Its called Perpetuum, but I digress.

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I think people keep playing, or going back to older mmos's, because the games being released now are crap.  Full of lofty promises of greatness and never delivering the goods.  Most WoW players don't quit, they go on hiatus.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    A much better (but fearful) question: When should mmo players retire?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.