Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: 'Consistent Steady Growth'

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Lol, man these articles recently are really stirring up the haters.   Of course, those who don't like the game are going to say that it isn't true that GW2 is growing.  Those of us who do, will say it is.  However GW2 is a gift that keeps on giving.  Not only has it supplied me hundreds of hours of enjoyable gametime (without a monthly sub), it has also provided me with hundreds of humorous rants on this site from haters who say we shouldn't be enjoying the game because they don't and that the game is dead/dying.  Thank you Anet and MMORPG.COM!  image

Umm no one even said anything negative or it was just a pre emptive damage control? image

lol.... Shoot... Score.

If you're going to try and fan the flame, at least read what the person you quoted obviously didn't.  "These articles recently".

And he was right, they are stirring up the discontent.  lol... Shoot... score.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Lol, man these articles recently are really stirring up the haters.   Of course, those who don't like the game are going to say that it isn't true that GW2 is growing.  Those of us who do, will say it is.  However GW2 is a gift that keeps on giving.  Not only has it supplied me hundreds of hours of enjoyable gametime (without a monthly sub), it has also provided me with hundreds of humorous rants on this site from haters who say we shouldn't be enjoying the game because they don't and that the game is dead/dying.  Thank you Anet and MMORPG.COM!  image

Umm no one even said anything negative or it was just a pre emptive damage control? image

lol.... Shoot... Score.

If you're going to try and fan the flame, at least read what the person you quoted obviously didn't.  "These articles recently".

No, I found it funny and responded in my own inimitable way. What I found funny and what Whitebeards was responding to is that, what is it doing in this thread? when nothing negative has been said? he clicked the wrong thread, pre-emptive strike? righteousness? we were right all along go suck on it HATERZ? so maybe you should think before jumping in but thats par for the course with GW2's highly strung fanbase, been doing it for years. Take my advice "Its only a game calm down and enjoy it"  

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

lol.... Shoot... Score.

No, I found it funny and responded in my own inimitable way. What I found funny and what Whitebeards was responding to is that, what is it doing in this thread? when nothing negative has been said? he clicked the wrong thread, pre-emptive strike? righteousness? we were right all along go suck on it HATERZ? so maybe you should think before jumping in but thats par for the course with GW2's highly strung fanbase, been doing it for years. Take my advice "Its only a game calm down and enjoy it"  

Not really, you just explained what I know you attempted to correct, but what you actually didn't.  It was more about people jumping on him for being right because they didn't read his post.

Irony much, you saying I'm high-strung?  Maybe he is, but you both still read his post wrong and JUMPED.  And of course, he's more right as this continues.  I think it's funny too, at least we agree on that... sort of.

Btw, you spelled instigating wrong.  You chose to fight fire with fire, and now someone calls you on it and you get defensive.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I think there are some people that quit GW2 because they wanted to make a statement about something that they didn't like with the game.  I think those people are invariably forced to make negative comments any time that GW2 is spoke of in a positive light, otherwise their "stance" is belittled.  After all, the last thing a person wants to realize whilst they are stomping their feet and screaming at the sky, is that nobody is paying attention.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

lol.... Shoot... Score.

Not really, you just explained what I know you attempted to correct, but what you actually didn't.  It was more about people jumping on him for being right because they didn't read his post.

Irony much, you saying I'm high-strung?  Maybe he is, but you both still read his post wrong and JUMPED.  And of course, he's more right as this continues.  I think it's funny too, at least we agree on that... sort of.

So he starts with Lol, uses the word haters in the first sentence and then goes on to say GW2 is great RAH RAH RAH GW2 is great RAH RAH RAH I'm better than you RAH RAH RAH and then ends by calling all who say anything against GW2 haters and I'm suppose to take him seriously? you really have lost the plot. It was a showboating post about how he's playing the #1 bestest game evar and we are all haters because this story proves the fans right, ner! I'm surprised he didn't call us Brah to top it off. GW2 fans make me laugh oh! shit already done that bit. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464
    It would be impressive if this consistent steady growth allowed the game to exceed or even just match the launch population, but as it stands, 5 people in my 20 man guild have played in the last 3 months.

lol.... Shoot... Score.

So he starts with Lol, uses the word haters in the first sentence and then goes on to say GW2 is great RAH RAH RAH GW2 is great RAH RAH RAH I'm better than you RAH RAH RAH and then ends by calling all who say anything against GW2 haters and I'm suppose to take him seriously? you really have lost the plot. It was a showboating post about how he's playing the #1 bestest game evar and we are all haters because this story proves the fans right, ner! I'm surprised he didn't call us Brah to top it off. GW2 fans make me laugh oh! shit already done that bit. 

You know, you're recommended to report people, not flame them.  Right?  I just don't see the point in baiting someone who is already baiting people... then trying to bait me.

Have fun I guess.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hey, at least we know how many people are playing eve.

What the hell does "consistent heavy growth" mean?

Is 1 more person playing than last week?
    Or 10?
    Or 1000?
    Or 100,000?

There's no data behind it, its just a meaningless sound byte. Though I suspect if it was 100,000 they would be putting some player metrics data out.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I think there are some people that quit GW2 because they wanted to make a statement about something that they didn't like with the game.  I think those people are invariably forced to make negative comments any time that GW2 is spoke of in a positive light, otherwise their "stance" is belittled.  After all, the last thing a person wants to realize whilst they are stomping their feet and screaming at the sky, is that nobody is paying attention.

Actually I think it rolls the other way. I think people discuss what they dislike about GW2 and some of the fans take offense. They feel the need to "correct" the person on the proper way to play the game or how their opinion doesn't matter. They make pointed comments on other styles of play calling them inferior. I think the fans feel "belittled" because people don't agree with them. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

you can

How many unique people log in per week

How many hours per week does the average player play

Done

If that is the case then one can easily argue that Eve is not the sandbox messiah many of you claim it is. The number of players logged in has not changed much in 3 years.

Ummm Eve hit an all time high earlier this month.......

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Hey, at least we know how many people are playing eve.

What the hell does "consistent heavy growth" mean?

Is 1 more person playing than last week?
    Or 10?
    Or 1000?
    Or 100,000?

There's no data behind it, its just a meaningless sound byte. Though I suspect if it was 100,000 they would be putting some player metrics data out.

It was promotional hype. If the overall player base was increasing at a dramatic rate they would have indicated those numbers.  A three percent increase in a few hundred players playing sPvP is a number in the tens..... Typical corporate spin. Of course it is only spin when you talk about WoW numbers or SWToR numbers.... At least WoW states an actual number and provides data on what constitutes that number.......

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Awesome, pvp is getting more attention :)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    *snip*

Hey relax there "Brah" and take your own advice. 

Try re-reading what I wrote.  Scratch that, ... I think you actually have had to have read it first in order for me to ask you to "re-read" it.  Nowhere do I say GW2 is great, it's the #1bestest, I'm better than you, nor do I imply anyone who says anything negative about the game is a hater.  That's just your own insecurity whispering in your ears.  I'm sorry if I riled you up so much.  Just relax and read next time, cool?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Actually I think it rolls the other way. I think people discuss what they dislike about GW2 and some of the fans take offense. They feel the need to "correct" the person on the proper way to play the game or how their opinion doesn't matter. They make pointed comments on other styles of play calling them inferior. I think the fans feel "belittled" because people don't agree with them. 

Nice try steve but you are the one trying to "correct" my generalized comment , so I'm going to guess that you are the person who feels belittled.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

It rolls both ways.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

The ultimate measure of GW2 success is not copies of the game sold, but how much currency they sell, pretty much, from here out.  And from what I see of the in-world markets, that trade is pretty happening, every time new content is released -- not only monthly, but the tiny spurts of new widgetry, what, weekly?

I think NCSoft is doing just fine with this game.  People are putting cash into it by the reasonable aggregate boatload as far as I can tell.  Some game site (hint) should assign someone to set up an analytics site for the various in-world currency exchanges where they exist as RMT as they do in Eve, GW2, and so on, so there is a central exchange -- it would log some interest, page hits, ad revenue, scholarship points, and so on.

Kind of stunned Gamasutra or someone of that ilk isn't doing it.  Do the studios balk at the info being redisplayed/aggregated like that?  It would make an AWESOME adjunct to Free Zone.

I mean, why speculate about this stuff, when you could have...DATA?

Hell, pay me fairly and get me the subs, and I'd do it...:)  

<warcry>In the Spirit of Daedalus I invoke Yee!  (ok, couldn't resist...)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

So silly. I love reading fanboi responses, they are so funny. Basically they resort to "Haters gunna hate" as their defense rather then giving any proof anymore. Best part, it was flood with these responses before anything would be said. 

GW2 is NOT growing. Using statistics of people buying the game does NOT mean its getting more players, considering it doesn't mean its counting the 5 that quit in their place. Add in that rather using terms like "Rapid Growth" or anything else, its using marketting terms of up play the numbers while also not making it an outright lie. The benefit with a B2P game is they can technically 'claim' more people are playing since they don't need to rely on players subbing as the 'how many are playing' statistic.

That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean its not doing good. Its population could be mostly steady and it could be generating revenue. Gamble boxes tend to drain a lot of money for the gambling suckers (sorry, that is how companies view you and its why a good majority of games do them now) trying their luck.  Still, its quite silly to look at marketting terms and try and use them as a defense. Companies lie and manipulate their wording to give an appearance off. Remember all those SWTOR statistics? Heck, remember when the banks were all honky dory and then all of a sudden "Oh we need money, we threw our selves off a cliff"? Trying to defend a game without MEANINGFUL statistics is not going to prove anything.

...and $10 off getting to the price of a normal pc game being some revolutionary thing that will attract tons of new players still makes me chuckle. :)

Originally posted by Purutzil

The benefit with a B2P game is they can technically 'claim' more people are playing since they don't need to rely on players subbing as the 'how many are playing' statistic.

*cough* Blizzard counting pay-per-hour Chinese customers as "subscribers".  *cough*  Sounds like a benefit to me.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Zeroxin
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

GW2 is in the same situation as F2P games in the sense, that they can do nothing but grow.  We are going to need to start pushing for other metrics if we are really interested in "how well" a game is doing.  If a sub game loses 5 players and sells 2 boxes it is shrinking, but if F2P or B2P games sell a box or a new account is created it is growing, there is no good way to really measure "loss" in non sub based games.  We can look at financials, but many of the companies are privately owned and don't have to report that info.  So as long as we feel the need to compare game populations for whatever reason, there isn't going to be a really good way to do this with B2P or F2P games.  

The main reason I said all that is mainly to point out that "growing" doesn't mean much if we don't really know what is gained vs. lost because really nothing (accounts) can't really go down or be lost.

Edit:  And just to be clear on this, I'm not trying to pick on GW2, it just happens to be the big news piece right now.  Really the issue I raise is universal for F2P and B2P games that don't offer any kinid of sub that can be canceled.  It will be perpetually growing because you can't (and there is no need to) "cancel."

Fortunately for you, GW2 goes by Concurrent users. Yea they sold 3mil boxes but it seems those concurrent users are increasing with the rise in people playing WvW and SPvP.

They never come right out and say it but it seems like that's the case.

I have a hard time believing that if this were the case they wouldn't have came right out and said it.  Why wouldn't you brag about that?  They wouldn't have even had to give specific numbers.

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32

So silly. I love reading fanboi responses, they are so funny. Basically they resort to "Haters gunna hate" as their defense rather then giving any proof anymore. Best part, it was flood with these responses before anything would be said. 

GW2 is NOT growing. Using statistics of people buying the game does NOT mean its getting more players, considering it doesn't mean its counting the 5 that quit in their place. Add in that rather using terms like "Rapid Growth" or anything else, its using marketting terms of up play the numbers while also not making it an outright lie. The benefit with a B2P game is they can technically 'claim' more people are playing since they don't need to rely on players subbing as the 'how many are playing' statistic.

That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean its not doing good. Its population could be mostly steady and it could be generating revenue. Gamble boxes tend to drain a lot of money for the gambling suckers (sorry, that is how companies view you and its why a good majority of games do them now) trying their luck.  Still, its quite silly to look at marketting terms and try and use them as a defense. Companies lie and manipulate their wording to give an appearance off. Remember all those SWTOR statistics? Heck, remember when the banks were all honky dory and then all of a sudden "Oh we need money, we threw our selves off a cliff"? Trying to defend a game without MEANINGFUL statistics is not going to prove anything.

...and $10 off getting to the price of a normal pc game being some revolutionary thing that will attract tons of new players still makes me chuckle. :)

nothing more to add here. +1!

The benefit with a B2P game is they can technically 'claim' more people are playing since they don't need to rely on players subbing as the 'how many are playing' statistic.

*cough* Blizzard counting pay-per-hour Chinese customers as "subscribers".  *cough*  Sounds like a benefit to me.

Those people had to actually log in and play. In B2P, they don't. The comment by Purutzil was completely relevant.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by Siphaed
    Best valued MMORPG out there.  So much free content, so many choices of gameplay, and such fun gameplay at that.  Really can't beat it (that is, unless Wildstar is going to be B2P, then it might be beat).Can't wait for next Tuesday's big WvW Ascended patch (of course, with the ending Southsun Shores content as well).

Of course they dropped the price. They need players IN-Game. I've been playing lately and it's a ghost land..... except on Southsun currently.

Good move to bring in players!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

How about games like TERA that are bleeding subs so massively due to having one of the most boring gaming experiences around, that they go F2P making every abandoned account suddenly active?

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    why can't we all just get along :(

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2