Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox ONE

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by Gravarg

yup :)

and The ps4 has really good graphics, but just like the ps3, they'll be outdated within 6 months of release...where as a PC if you want, you'll never have dated graphics :)

While the PS4 system specs isn't all that great its still far better than the xbox one.

So the PS4 multiplats should get some good PC ports.

The PS4 is a more powerful beast than Xbox One and it is easy to write for. Add those together PS4 is going to blow the Xbox One out of the water.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Looks like I'm going with sony this time around. The used game repurchase stuff is dumb as hell.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Illyssia

While the PS4 system specs isn't all that great its still far better than the xbox one.

The PS4 is a more powerful beast than Xbox One and it is easy to write for. Add those together PS4 is going to blow the Xbox One out of the water.

Where is this coming from?

"Xbox One is powered by an 8-core x86 AMD CPU, and a GPU that’s very similar to the Radeon 7790. There’s 8GB of DDR3 RAM (shared between the CPU and GPU), 32MB of very fast SRAM on the graphics die, and a total of 200GB of memory bandwidth."

That's actually more memory bandwidth than PS4 and the rest is almost exactly the same. Real question is Xbox OS vs PS4 OS and how easy it is to code/design for and optimize, but since XBO OS almost 100% guaranteed to be based off of a Windows kernel...

How is PS4 more powerful? I don't get it. Rumors of 40nm vs 28nm are all rumor. Neither Sony nor MS have confirmed exact details yet, but the 7790 is 28nm so logically I'd assume both Sony and MS are using 28nm died processors too.

Why? Duh it makes sense. If AMD is making all the guts for both + all of their new tech for PC line is going on 28nm, they'd have to retool their entire production globally to 28nm die, which they have, so it'd be stupid and MORE expensive to stick a line at legacy 40nm.

Price goes down for Sony/MS cause all production is standard, cheaper for AMD so cheaper for MS/Sony = cheaper consoles no more 6-700$ consoles at release - Sony learned that lesson.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Did ANY gamers ask for these features? Really?

At this point, I doubt Mickysoft is targeting gamers.  They seem to be going after the facepalm (facebook...), TV watching crowd.   Someone over there has their eyes on being a "social/entertainment" hub, rather than a game console.  We will have to see what happens at E3.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BadSpock

"Xbox One is powered by an 8-core x86 AMD CPU, and a GPU that’s very similar to the Radeon 7790. There’s 8GB of DDR3 RAM (shared between the CPU and GPU), 32MB of very fast SRAM on the graphics die, and a total of 200GB of memory bandwidth."

That's actually more memory bandwidth than PS4 and the rest is almost exactly the same. Real question is Xbox OS vs PS4 OS and how easy it is to code/design for and optimize, but since XBO OS almost 100% guaranteed to be based off of a Windows kernel...

How is PS4 more powerful? I don't get it. Rumors of 40nm vs 28nm are all rumor. Neither Sony nor MS have confirmed exact details yet, but the 7790 is 28nm so logically I'd assume both Sony and MS are using 28nm died processors too.

you forgot that the 8 gigs is also shared between 3 separate OS' and chances are that fast switching will eat a chunk of it up as well.

Originally posted by Wraithone

At this point, I doubt Mickysoft is targeting gamers.  They seem to be going after the facepalm (facebook...), TV watching crowd.   Someone over there has their eyes on being a "social/entertainment" hub, rather than a game console.  We will have to see what happens at E3.

Well here's the thing. The TV features will only be full available to USA customers at launch. Outside of the USA and you have to wait for M$ to roll out to you.

How hard is it for your people to understand that both consoles (PS4/XBO) are going to play next gen games - that is a given, so the ONLY differences are going to be

1. Exclusives

2. What else the console can do

Which is.. duhhhhh why they are marketing/advertising and showing off #2 and #1 in their press conferences...

And E3 is going to cover 1 and everything else (the massive numbers of games going to both consoles and PC because they are all on x86 now)

Originally posted by Drakynn

you forgot that the 8 gigs is also shared between 3 separate OS' and chances are that fast switching will eat a chunk of it up as well.

Yeah, most likely the 24 GB memory bandwidth difference between XBO and PS4...

It is NOT like running 3 copies of Windows 7 Pro at the same time on your rig... you can't just say "OS x 3" it's not that simple and I thought was obvious...

Originally posted by SaunZ
    Originally posted by Sulaa

Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Geez..

I have an feeling that this has something to do with patent that allow camers / kinect-like devices to check HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE SITTING IN FRONT OF CONSOLE / TV.     Now group that with "DRM" and "face recognition" and "privacy"  :E

BUSTED!!  you have caught them!!  the US government is working with Microsoft to get XBox One in every US household so that they can monitor all activity through the Kinect.  

US + MS + Cloud = best, largest bad-guy database and profiling system in the world!!

USA USA USA!!!

Sz

:o)

Laugh if you wish. Given the paranoia back in Mordor on the Potomac, do you really think they would pass up the opportunities to be had from such systems?  ^^  Not to mention that Mickysoft is such a Good Corporate Citizen, they wouldn't have any problems with it.  Its all for the HomeLand, after all... ^^

As Yakov Smirnoff was fond of saying, In Soviet America, TV watches you!... ^^

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Geez..

I have an feeling that this has something to do with patent that allow camers / kinect-like devices to check HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE SITTING IN FRONT OF CONSOLE / TV.     Now group that with "DRM" and "face recognition" and "privacy"  :E

BUSTED!!  you have caught them!!  the US government is working with Microsoft to get XBox One in every US household so that they can monitor all activity through the Kinect.  

US + MS + Cloud = best, largest bad-guy database and profiling system in the world!!

USA USA USA!!!

Sz

Laugh if you wish. Given the paranoia back in Mordor on the Potomac, do you really think they would pass up the opportunities to be had from such systems?  ^^  Not to mention that Mickysoft is such a Good Corporate Citizen, they wouldn't have any problems with it.  Its all for the HomeLand, after all... ^^

You know, I hear you can cover the Kinect with a tin-foil hat!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Glad my kids are all grown up, I don't have to buy consoles anymore.

The business model sucks balls big time.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

How hard is it for your people to understand that both consoles (PS4/XBO) are going to play next gen games - that is a given, so the ONLY differences are going to be

1. Exclusives

2. What else the console can do

Which is.. duhhhhh why they are marketing/advertising and showing off #2 and #1 in their press conferences...

And E3 is going to cover 1 and everything else (the massive numbers of games going to both consoles and PC because they are all on x86 now)

I did say, that we will have to wait until we see what happens at E3... ^^  I'm not at all surprised at this shift in focus.  They are after a wider demographic, and also want a slice of various other pies in the process.  It remains to be seen if this comes back to bite them in a tender part, as it did with the general reaction to Windows 8 did... ^^

Geez..

USA USA USA!!!

Sz

Just make sure its tin foil... Aluminium doesn't work nearly as well...image

Why? Duh it makes sense. If AMD is making all the guts for both + all of their new tech for PC line is going on 28nm, they'd have to retool their entire production globally to 28nm die, which they have, so it'd be stupid and MORE expensive to stick a line at legacy 40nm.

Price goes down for Sony/MS cause all production is standard, cheaper for AMD so cheaper for MS/Sony = cheaper consoles no more 6-700$ consoles at release - Sony learned that lesson.

PS4 GPU is more powerful.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Geez..

USA USA USA!!!

Sz

And now they'll be watching what we say and do through your webcams/kinect!

Just make sure its tin foil... Aluminium doesn't work nearly as well...image

I personally hate the idea of Kinect for gaming - but using voice + gestures to control my TV/movies/apps etc. makes 100% perfect sense and is probably the coolest thus-far-announced feature.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yeah, most likely the 24 GB memory bandwidth difference between XBO and PS4...

It is NOT like running 3 copies of Windows 7 Pro at the same time on your rig... you can't just say "OS x 3" it's not that simple and I thought was obvious...

No I wouldn't expect it to be like running 3 copies of any iteration of windows because these are specialized OSes obviously but it's still probably take more bandwidth than o box running just one like in the past.Of course who's to say PS4 isn't doing the exact same thing so it's a moot point.But the fast switching is gonna take up some memory real estate  I really can't see how it won't.I'd be more comfortable with 16G of ram but understand the xbox one has to come in at a certain manufacture cost.

There is much to wait and see on to be making any clear choice at this point we'll see how E3 clears things up...or muddies things more.

Says??? Source?

No I wouldn't expect it to be like running 3 copies of any iteration of windows because these are specialized OSes obviously but it's still probably take more bandwidth than o box running just one like in the past.Of course who's to say PS4 isn't doing the exact same thing so it's a moot point.But the fast switching is gonna take up some memory real estate  I really can't see how it won't.I'd be more comfortable with 16G of ram but understand the xbox one has to come in at a certain manufacture cost.

There is much to wait and see on to be making any clear choice at this point we'll see how E3 clears things up...or muddies things more.

True - though it's really hard to point to how exactly these consoles will perform - not many gaming PC's have 8 GB of higher speed dedicated video memory either.

PS4 seems to have 8GB GDDR5 unified for gpu/cpu and XBO 8GB GDDR3 - but XBO has the 32MB of very fast SRAM so who knows?

Says??? Source?

Widely known. Below is example.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by laserit

Glad my kids are all grown up, I don't have to buy consoles anymore.

The business model sucks balls big time.

The primary benefit of consoles is that they are standardized. This is why we (those of us who game on the PC) often find brand new games with low system requirements. It's because PC game developers have to account for so many varieties of builds. Also why some games that push the hardware envelope end up selling poorly because not enough people can run them.

On consoles, all devs are working within the same parameters (or similar in the case of cross platform) and their only limitations are their own ability, time and financials to produce top quality.

And in the past console games were less complex, mostly due to hardware limitations and having to run games off dics. So things like load times and reduced content were a good solid reason to game on the PC.

As we're discussing in this thread, new consoles are more PC-like than ever so you get the benefit of standardization, but now you can install games onto onboard hdds (you could do that for some games this gen too).

PC's are still much more versatile and I only see consoles growing more and more similar to PC's and not the other way around.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Back from work for a bit..

In case you guys haven't seen this one (it's hilarious)....

Widely known. Below is example.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

Supposed 50% faster GPU is significant sounding on paper, but all about how that raw power is utilized and what other bottlenecks may be present in the other hardware layers like memory or at the OS.

I actually have little doubt PS4 will be the "more powerful" console than XBO - just like how PS3 was/is more powerful than XB360.

But it took Sony 6 years to surpass MS in units sold, and then only a year before both are releasing new consoles.

It's all about the games, and this generation, it's far more likely to be all about the exclusives and the "rest" of what the consoles can do.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

hahaha thats to funny..

on a serious note, my wife and i WERE going to buy both a xbox one and a ps4. not being able to lend your games to your friends(something i've done since my first atari 2600) is a red line. its some what of a gamer tradition to lend your games and your friends lend you their games. you guys talk about it and bond over a really good game. now its just microsoft trying to suck the last penny out of you. well its pretty obvious, after talking to my wife about it, we are still buying a ps4. with the extra money, upgrade the gaming pcs.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Watching Angry Joe go off is sometimes entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

Just hope he doesn't get high blood pressure or a heart attack while filming.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.