Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Character name or Account name?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I go back and forth on the GW2 account name system. On one hand it's nice not having to txt my alt fiend friend (ok it's me that gets texted, Im the alter) to see who he is on as, on the other its kinda creepy that its so easy to see who he is on as. Thoughts?

Comments

• skaaz1skaaz1 st.paul, NEPosts: 16Member

As someone who spends to much time playing alts. I liked GW2 style. 

I am not a player that is a multi-guilder though, so for those that like to do that I could see there complaint.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi HalifaxPosts: 380Member
    Creepy? Ulterior motive?
  • LokbergLokberg OlsoPosts: 315Member

I like the handle thing easy to see when friends are online but then again some people want to hid behind an alt and o understand why.

then again why would they sell reserve name for founder points if they would go the handle route makes zero sense.

• EasymodeXEasymodeX No, VAPosts: 149Member

I don't think the "accountname" GW2 model will be appropriate for CU due to the more strict RvR segregation.

In GW2 you can send tells to /accountname even if they're on the opposing server.  Begs for easy crossrealming at best.

I think that leaving it to the player discretion is optimal -- they can name all their alts with the same naming pattern, and their friends can add all the alts to their friends list, or they can simply be in the same goddamn guild, etc.  Or if the player wants to hide an alt, or simply segregate that alt for another purpose (e.g. have an alt to play with the s/o, and they don't want to be bothered with guild stuff or w/e), they can do so.

ANet trying to overengineer social media networking into MMORPGs, imo.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Henderson, NVPosts: 322Member
    Keep it like DAoC had it.  No reason to change it.  It worked fine.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• TigsKCTigsKC Kansas City, MOPosts: 145Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EasymodeX

I don't think the "accountname" GW2 model will be appropriate for CU due to the more strict RvR segregation.

In GW2 you can send tells to /accountname even if they're on the opposing server.  Begs for easy crossrealming at best.

I think that leaving it to the player discretion is optimal -- they can name all their alts with the same naming pattern, and their friends can add all the alts to their friends list, or they can simply be in the same goddamn guild, etc.  Or if the player wants to hide an alt, or simply segregate that alt for another purpose (e.g. have an alt to play with the s/o, and they don't want to be bothered with guild stuff or w/e), they can do so.

I agree.  I do not care for the integration with social media myself, and I think this a poor fit with CU in mind.

Just my two cents.

• Delavega86Delavega86 adhkulPosts: 112Member
    i hope friend lists are account-name. same for guilds.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Henderson, NVPosts: 322Member
    Originally posted by Delavega86
    i hope friend lists are account-name. same for guilds.

I hope not.  What if I want an alt in a different guild?  What if I want an alt for anonymity's sake? 

I really don't see the big deal about creating names for each toon and adding those names onto friend's lists or into guilds.  Compare the 5 seconds it takes to /add a name to the overall aggregate amount of time playing the game...

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• TaldierTaldier Camp Hill, PAPosts: 235Member

I think the concept of account names is really poor implementation.  Not everyone wants to be connected to all of their friends all of the time.

I could see a compromise allowing characters to "opt-in" and be set as "public" instead of "private", but really that just seems complicated when the obvious solution is to just send a /tell to someone saying "hey this is XYZ's new alt, invite me to the guild".

• ArbroathArbroath Depew, NYPosts: 175Member
    So often, after a long work day, I simply want to jump on an alt and mindlessly gather. It's a way to unwind for me after a hectic day. Though I usually run with my guild, there are times when I don't want anyone to know I'm on. Mostly so I can avoid crafting for someone, or the PLEEEASE we only need one more to run this dungeon, when all I want to do is decompress.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• BleedTheFreakBleedTheFreak Nowhere, PAPosts: 3Member
    Hey it's been awhile Easy remember me from Warhammer online Animosity/Badlands? cantgitright? Been trying to find my old friends from the glory days of War hit me up when you get this. I can't wait to see this game I just hope they learned from daoc and War I can't stand crappy mmorpgs anymore all making the same mistakes over and over.

Cantgitright the choppa from Badlands/Animosity!!

• Never been a fan of account name. If someone rolls an alt and wants me to know about it they will send me a tell, if they don't they wont.
  • solochoowookiesolochoowookie Redmond, WAPosts: 35Member
    Originally posted by EasymodeX

Agreed. In early beta the GW2 team were told that people/anyone even remotely interested in RP would hate the account name idea. Instead of being immersed in a RPG experience I had to have my forum name? It was just one of the many ways GW2 tried to innovate/tell people what they want vs. deliver something people actually want.

Let me and my friends manage it. I do not want to see anyone's forum/account name in game. It is not that hard.