Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: On Cyrodiil as World PvP

124»

Comments

• RimcyRimcy Member UncommonPosts: 44

Lame. Just lost interest in this game. You can not make a game with pvp battlegrounds, arenas, or zone/realms. PLEASE BRING BACK OPEN WORLD PVP!

Yes, I like exploring (not questing) the world while looking over my shoulder. Expecting to get ganked at every turn.

WoW had the best pvp until Burning Crusade expansion and the release of the battlegrounds. It ruined open world pvp. Please stop trying to """ORGANIZE""" pvp.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow never had the best pvp.
    They don't have arena or battlegrounds as it gives players an instance to escape into when pvp isn't going their way - see warhammer.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by krage

3 factions used to work with the other generations of MMO gamers for some reason. Now if you watch the most modern 3 way largescale pvp game (GW2) you will see how the newer generations of MMOers (WoW and newer) treat 3 way matches.

3 way should be balanced by having the two lower/weaker realms working together to take out the top realm in the match, however in todays mmo culture I have noticed it usually devolves into the bottom two contenders fighting each other just to avoid "losing" or last place while the top realm/faction ends up widening the gap.

In my example I am referring to GW2 mainly since that is the newest game to try the 3 way method, perhaps the GW2 flaw was from ranking the realms which makes it super competitive and no one wants to drop down tiers due to pride over having epic battles.

For me 3 way battles are still not done right and personally I think TESO should avoid any kind of ranking system to hopefully let 3 way matches have the intended balance outcome and not a ranking race. 

Well, if you look at the board game diplomacy which has seven countries, you will notice that what happens in these games is that the countries which get ahead end up grinding the smaller ones down.  A common final result is a shared victory between the leaders.  The idea that the two will gang up on the 3rd on in an mmorpg is pie in the sky imo.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They don't have arena or battlegrounds as it gives players an instance to escape into when pvp isn't going their way - see warhammer.

RvR is the ultimate escape from competitive PvP.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Rimcy

Lame. Just lost interest in this game. You can not make a game with pvp battlegrounds, arenas, or zone/realms. PLEASE BRING BACK OPEN WORLD PVP!

Yes, I like exploring (not questing) the world while looking over my shoulder. Expecting to get ganked at every turn.

WoW had the best pvp until Burning Crusade expansion and the release of the battlegrounds. It ruined open world pvp. Please stop trying to """ORGANIZE""" pvp.

If the thing you liked was the best selling point in the mmorpg marketplace, you would see a dozen games with that feature.  

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

I cannot help but think the staff are just writing their articles based on the general forum vibe now, with the exception of Rob Lashley and that crazy chick.

There's no such thing as competative pvp in mmos.

What with gear, fotm builds, class differences and what have you.

Want competative pvp, play a genre of game where it is possible to have balance.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Let's say that France, Germany and England got involved in a 3-sided war over control of Belgium and the Netherlands. Would it be more likely or less likely for someone from England to go on a bicycle trip through France and Germany while the war was going on? Wouldn't it be likely that as soon as hostilities broke out, the citizens of each respective country would high tail it home on the first flight and not mix all that much?

I wouldnt go into the warzones where the soldiers are actually fighting as im a civilian, but i would go to visit the rest of the country where there is no fighting going on and people are still living their daily lives.  You act like the entire land of each nation is in chaos and battle like a video game.

Until you got shot as a spy
  • xXAltarXxxXAltarXx Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    Ill likely still play it as enjoyed DAOC also , but my favorite PVP battles have always been I impromptu ones like Tarren Mill escalation mass fights in vanilla WoW , or east common fights raging on the Zek servers in original EQ before that.

There's just something about a battle being able to break out most any where in the game world that makes true world PVP more fun for me.

Amen. Really.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Until you got shot as a spy

unless your legally there, just like how people have to be approved to go into another country now.  My grandfather went to other nations that was involved in WW2 just to travel for both pleasure and business. Of course not the nazi occupied places tho.

• MassacherMassacher Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

3 factions will always be the better choice and contrary to anyone' opinion, just because PvP is segregated off into its own zone doesn't make i any less world PvP.

Wish people would understand there is Instanced PvP, which what most people think of is when they say "GW2, DAoC or TESO doesn't have world PvP". Then there is Zoned PvP then there is open world PvP.

this is what i prefer. but it doesn't look like they're taking that direction. but instanced PvP is better than no PvP.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Sounds better with every new tidbit... Can't wait to play with all my friends.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MassacherMassacher Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

3 factions will always be the better choice and contrary to anyone' opinion, just because PvP is segregated off into its own zone doesn't make i any less world PvP.

Wish people would understand there is Instanced PvP, which what most people think of is when they say "GW2, DAoC or TESO doesn't have world PvP". Then there is Zoned PvP then there is open world PvP.

this is what i prefer. though it doesn't look like they're going in that direction. still instanced PvP is better than no PvP.