Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Subscription Games Left?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Aside from World of Warcraft, EVE Online, and Darkfall: Unholy Wars, are there any MMO's out right now that are not "free to play"?   Rift used to be subscription but is going f2p in a few weeks.  I think the remake of Final Fantasy will also require a sub but it isn't out yet.

So any that I missed?  Or is WoW and two niche games the only subscriptions required left in the entire industry?

This thread is NOT to argue about f2p VS p2p or any of that nonsense, I'm just curious if there are only 3 sub games left in the MMO market now.

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

FFXI is still P2P.

I think it is funny how these old old old MMO's are still P2P where as new ones go f2p within a year maybe 2. People scream top of their lungs that Old school MMO's wont work yet they are still P2P a 10+ years later!!!

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

When LOTRO went F2P it opened the coffin for P2P. And release of GW2 was official final nail in the coffin.

I said, that since release of GW2 no new (themepark) game will be P2P.

BTW WoW is seriously starting to consider F2P , and games like EVE can not go that route because it would destroy the sandbox balance.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Tha Saga of Ryzom.

Still kicking, still P2P (although you can level any skill to 50 with a free acount).

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

When LOTRO went F2P it opened the coffin for P2P. And release of GW2 was official final nail in the coffin.

BTW WoW is seriously starting to consider F2P , and games like EVE can not go that route because it would destroy the sandbox balance.

wrong.

ff ixv a realm reborn will be p2p ;) and you bet there will be more p2p themepark mmos in future

+ gw was always b2p cause it has no real endgame and most hc players(raiders) would not sub

and how exactly is wow f2p?

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Warhammer Online?

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Very few games on the market worth paying a sub fee atm in my option, there just makeing the same game over and over and im not paying for that :P for me atm im playing darkfall atm which is quite a good game would be better if the development team was a little larger but what can u do should be good till EQNext comes out im gonna assume it will be F2P or Hybrid model though.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Very few games on the market worth paying a sub fee atm in my option, there just makeing the same game over and over and im not paying for that :P for me atm im playing darkfall atm which is quite a good game would be better if the development team was a little larger but what can u do should be good till EQNext comes out im gonna assume it will be F2P or Hybrid model though.

I'd say the fact that there are so many F2P options has lead to such feelings for many, not exactly you of course, but many. We usually place a value of worth on something based on the value of those other options.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

If there was two almost identical mmorpgs, equally good at everything. But one f2p and one with box+sub I would play only the box+sub one.

I hate to play f2p mmos cause they are free to play ;) So I hope there will be more p2p in future !

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I will always support the subscription based games,there is too much negative about a cash shop.

Is not Ultima Online still sub based?

i have never seen a good solid cash shop game but we might get our first glimpse if Archeage goes f2p,nobody is sure yet.I would guess typical of way Trion ran Rift.they will start sub base get as much money out of it that way,then go cash shop.

SOE imo set some tough standards to beat,that game is still one of the best games on the market.Reason it works is  they seem to be able to get more money out of their fan base than they deserve.I am not so sure they will see the same open pocket books come their NEXT game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Turns out you were wrong lolimage

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Wildstar

FFXIV

DF:UW

Camelot Unchained (we can't say this won't be themepark at this point, although we all hope not)

TESO (we don't really know for sure, but insider info has hinted at P2P w/ cash shop)

All released post GW2, or will release, all will be P2P

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by toddze

FFXI is still P2P.

I think it is funny how these old old old MMO's are still P2P where as new ones go f2p within a year maybe 2. People scream top of their lungs that Old school MMO's wont work yet they are still P2P a 10+ years later!!!

Thats probly because they made them much better back then and ppl actually stayed with one game for longterm.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Turns out you were wrong lolimage

LOL back to ya buddy image

• chaos824chaos824 Member Posts: 5
    Perpetuum online. It's similar to eve online except for the combat, which is more action based.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Ultima Online is still P2P.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

To be fair, the only mmo's that have really addicted me have been P2P. F2P is fun stuff for a couple of months, but then you notice there's nothing left for you there, and the constant cash shop harassment is unbearable. You want more bag slots? Cash shop. You want to train your skills faster? Cash shop. You want a new character slot? Cash shop. Everything you do in the game has a button reminding you that you can spend cash on the game, and for me that breaks my capacity of entertainment.

That, and the feeling that you can be better than others not through skill or dedication, but through money. I'm a competitive person, and that alone makes me disdain most F2P games and not take them sersiously.

Next mmo I'll seriously look at will probably be Wildstar. After that, whatever is that Titan project from Blizzard that will likely be revealed in this year's Blizzcon.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

If there was two almost identical mmorpgs, equally good at everything. But one f2p and one with box+sub I would play only the box+sub one.

I hate to play f2p mmos cause they are free to play ;) So I hope there will be more p2p in future !

What? Why would you do that? In the scenario, that both games are equally good at everything why would you choose to pay for the box + sub? Since both games are almost identical, that would mean that you're just throwing your money away, instead of saving it by playing the F2P one. That makes no sense at all.

• FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

BTW WoW is seriously starting to consider F2P

And your source for that would be what?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daoc
    Uo