Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Original WoW Players: Where Are You Now?

I'm a 31 year old guy who played World of Warcraft heavily from launch until shortly before Wrath of the Lich King came out.  

My question is pretty simple:  Where did everyone go? Now that WoW's numbers are in noticeable decline and there really doesn't seem to be a "major" mmo out that dominates like WoW once did - What are you playing? 

As I look around the market as it stands now...I'm not sure which game to get into or if something that almost everyone is waiting on will be coming out in the next year or so.  

So all of you who used to live in Blackrock Mountain back in the day: Where are you now? 

Comments

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

first love is always beauty b/c everything is new and surprise.

however once u get married, even first love become shaggy. 

we just have to moving on dude. ^_^

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Hi Nostalgia im 32 and to be honest I am not playing an MMO like I did WOW. Nothing grabs me like it did.

I have dabbled on various TBC private servers though which have been fun :) and currently getting a pvp fix from SMITE. Im thinking my next MMO will probably be Wildstar but im not betting anything on it. Nothing seems to last long these days. One can hope.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

well im playin sto(the free version),sw:tor(also the free version),the free version of rift and still playin wow now n thn

ave tried gw 2 and eve

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

We are legion and we are everywhere! image

WOW was a lot of fun at release wasn't it? I dropped EQ2 (which, if you recall, released just shortly before) so fast it wasn't funny.

I don't play it much anymore but I still go back every now and then to check out the new things... sort of like visiting your old hometown that has gone to shit, but you still have friends, family and good memories there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I played WoW from January '05 until January '13. I had a pretty good run before the burnout finally hit me. I'm playing GW2 and Minecraft mostly now. Getting caught up on a few console rpgs that I've ignored for....oh 8 years or so.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I used to play Neverwinter Nights before World of Warcraft released.  I remember all of my friends hyping the game up and continuing to talk about it after release.  It wasn't long before I decided to try the game for myself and found something unlike anything I'd played before.  World of Warcraft had me completely addicted and I played it until Wrath of the Lich King released.  Do you want to know what happened to me?  Well, I just got bored of the game and decided that it wasn't worth the money anymore.

I've tried countless games since then and haven't found anything worth investing in.  Sure, I've spent 20-50 dollars on some titles, but nothing has captured my attention for more than a couple weeks.  Recently I've been focusing on games with real-time combat for enjoyment, but none of them offer what I truly want.  I want more than just a quick fix and more than a mediocre experience.  I want to play a game that will evoke emotion.  I see games as a way for the developers to express themselves. 

My dream is to see a game developed, published and released that's accepted by the majority as a masterpiece.  I want to play a game that will make me cry.

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by Nostalgia31

I'm a 31 year old guy who played World of Warcraft heavily from launch until shortly before Wrath of the Lich King came out.  

My question is pretty simple:  Where did everyone go? Now that WoW's numbers are in noticeable decline and there really doesn't seem to be a "major" mmo out that dominates like WoW once did - What are you playing? 

As I look around the market as it stands now...I'm not sure which game to get into or if something that almost everyone is waiting on will be coming out in the next year or so.  

So all of you who used to live in Blackrock Mountain back in the day: Where are you now? 

Lets See when WoW first came out i was 18 still living at home with a part job at Hollywood Video . Since that time i got married, have a kid on the way, live a good 2k miles from where i once lived. have all news friends and a very different life.

Im now 27, and i find myself sitting in vent on tuesday and wensday nights alot of the time doing LFR with people i have met in game over the last 4ish years. It seems alot of the really old vanila people are long gone, alot of these people i met in ICC days. But back to the question what do i find eating up alot of my time.

Life is eating my time now,  im now a grown ass man, married, with a kid. I spend my time working, sleeping , and hanging out with some close friends. I know alot of other old wow players who do more or less the same. In the end the wow killer was just people grew up.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Quit WoW when i first hit 85 in Cata, had no interest in playing more

after that I've just been hopping from game to game, never sticking around for more then a week fews, a month tops.

Nothing MMO wise seems to grab me anymore because It's all the exact same thing all over again, leveling, questing, dungeons, theres no real difference, sure combat has been changing a bit, but for the most part everything feels the exact same.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

played private server based on F&F alpha client,  korean beta,  EU beta and a total of 4 and a half years after launch owning all xpacks except MoP.

Right now i'm adding to my 1600 hours in gw2.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Ujirik

I used to player Neverwinter Nights before World of Warcraft released.  I remember all of my friends hyping the game up and continuing to talk about it after release.  It wasn't long before I decided to try the game for myself and found something unlike anything I'd played before.  World of Warcraft had me completely addicted and I played it until Wrath of the Lich King released.  Do you want to know what happened to me?  Well, I just got bored of the game and decided that it wasn't worth the money anymore.

I've tried countless games since then and haven't found anything worth investing in.  Sure, I've spent 20-50 dollars on some titles, but nothing has captured my attention for more than a couple weeks.  Recently I've been focusing on games with real-time combat for enjoyment, but none of them offer what I truly want.  I want more than just a quick fix, more than a mediocre experience.  I want to play a game that will evoke emotion.  I see games as a way for the developers to express themselves. 

My dream is to see a game developed, published and released that's accepted by the majority as a masterpiece.

By majority? Not going to happen :) 

My dream is to see a game developed, published and released that's accepted by ME as a masterpiece.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I tend to float between LOTRO and STO with the rare SWTOR
  • sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Started on Illidan, moved to Frostwolf, made a lot of great people and joined my first super huge raid focused guild there, then moved to Haomarush with some buddies met a chick there I eventually married.  We played on and off quite a bit since then with her loving TBC and me enjoying various aspects of each itineration of WoW.    Eventually the friends drifted away and my irl buddies stopped playing and losing interest in the MMO genre. 

As a huge Robert E Howard fan I moved to Age of Conan and spent a good while there, since launch til some time after Coast of Turan launched.  I tried other games in the middle.  Being a huge warhammer fan too I tried Age of Reckoning but the exploring and PVE didnt' do the IP justice.  My wife moved onto LOTRO and other games  til eventually we just took a break from MMO's

We went back for Cata and MoP and while the game was still pretty damn fun the joys I had when playing with all those other people just wasn't there.   

Currently Im on a couple games namely TSW and Neverwinter and looking at Wildstar and ESO but something just tells me Ill never get the experiences I had when I first really started playing WoW

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I played wow from launch till the end of the titan raid in wrath ( before they added arthas )

Right now I'm playing DC universe. It seems to be pretty fun and reminds me a lot of city of heroes.

It took me a long time to realize everything can't be like my first mmo love ( wow wasn't my first ) and you have to look for new things in games. If you're always looking for a remake of what you had you're always going to be disappointed with what you're doing.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I also quit EQ2 for WOW pretty early in vanilla.  I started to get a little jaded with WOW right around the introduction of LFD in wrath.  I know everyone loves it, but it just wasn't for me.  I continued to play until I killed Arthas, and then I quit.  I had been following this story since I was a child, I was going to see it through to the end and kill Arthas come high or hell water. 

I took a nice long break from all MMOs after that.  I tried to check it out again during Cata and MoP, but the game has passed me by.  It's just not my thing now, but I would love to find a game with the feel of Vanilla, BC and the first half of Wrath.  I played Rift for a bit, it's a good game, but doesn't keep my attention for long periods of time.  The one game that I have been playing for over a year now is EQ1 on the Fippy Darkpaw progression server.  That game is where I cut my MMO teeth 14 years ago, and I guess I just wanted to to bring things around full circle.  When that server opened up and I was leveling up in classic EQ with lots of other people everywhere, and then getting the bat phone calls at 3 am to go kill contested raid pops... there's just nothing like it for me.  Graphics be damned.  Wow and it's first two expansions are a very close second. 

Now that Fippy is rapidly moving on, I'm hoping around from game to game.  I still play EQ1 from time to time.  I dabble with Neverwinter because I'm a DnD fan.  Waiting on EQnext news and maybe wildstar. 

• marsh9799marsh9799 Member Posts: 100

I'm dabbling with various games until Archeage comes out.  I played Tera a lot for a time.

To whoever talked about "first love," I played MMOs before WoW (Everquest, DAoC, Shadowbane, and EVE), and WoW was definitely not my "first love."  WoW was legitimately very good.  It was very polished at release- polished in terms of game play and style.  We expect bugs at a release but not a work in progress game like we so often get these days.  The content was very well done and pretty expansive.  It succeeded because it was significantly better than everything out there at the time and because of this it was able to maintain a very large player base.  The player base continued expanding for a long time- even if you factor out the farmers. 

I think that one of the reasons players are spread out over so many games is that there have been a lot of games that appeal to a niche aspect of what WoW did (or rather MMOs in general) whereas prior era games went with a more broad based appeal.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by marsh9799

I'm dabbling with various games until Archeage comes out.  I played Tera a lot for a time.

Sounds like me lol, stopped playing WoW when TERA came out, played that religiously for a long time and now i'm waiting for Archeage and then after that Black Desert.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm slowly giving up on the mmorpgs as a whole since nothing good or different seem to come out. If it's different it's badly made, but more often it's just a one trick pony, something that introduces one "new" thing and that should keep me playing when the rest of the game is the same old same old? Lol and sigh.

Pretty much playing casually some mmorpgs without monthly fee, if any at all. I'm not really looking forward to anything either, it all looks shit in terms longevity. I mean, I will play TESO when it comes, for a month. I will enjoy that month, but there wont be more to it pretty sure.

I wish Planetside 2 had PvE continent tbh, would be nice change to farm some NPC aliens when you get bored of the repetitive base capturing with no point in the PvP :) ...oh dont mention Defiance, I tried the beta, crap graphics, crap animations, crap sounds, overall crappy feeling B-grade game.

Gonna try Neverwinter one of these days since it's free, propably a one monther, though I might get hooked in the dungeon building tool, I used to tinker with the original Neverwinter tileset editor alot!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I played vanilla WoW mostly..

tried the first expansion for a bit,but lost interest..

never played since.Been playing single player games,like Fallout 3,just started the Mass Effect series too.

As for MMOs? EQ1 here and there,some Secret World,some Vanguard.

other than that,not much.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

its like fight club,private gaming everywhere.

own chat channels etc and ignore everything else if its possible.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Waiting for Wildstar.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• dc1509dc1509 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I'm 32. Was playing WoW heavily from around patch 1.4-1.6 (don't remember now), till first part of pandaria raids completed (Normal modes, I'm not so hardcore player now, have a family and child :)

I like to talk about WoW with my real friends that still playing , but I don't think there is anything that may pull me in again ...

Playing mostly EvE now (with my real friends)

Have Dragon Prophet beta and Marvel heroes beta, play them from time to time.

Of course there is no that feeling of addiction to anything, when you play something and just can't stop doing it :) Like it was long ago in vanilla times.

I think we all just grown up ... and just miss that feeling from before, and we can't get it back. Need to move on anyway :)

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Hi, i LOVED WoW from classic to the Sunwell patch ... WotLK was a totally different game to me so i quit for a few months. I ended up playing again few months later untill midway cataclysm but the feeling i had with the game was just game. Shame.

It wasn't however my first MMO. I think it was my 3rd or 4th. and i can only hope someday a game releases that i can enjoy as much as i enjoyed WoW :)

ATM. I am playing Guild Wars 2. And tbh it's an amazing game! It has many good things and it fits my lifestyle right now.

But i miss raiding  ... allot.... so i have put my hopes on Wildstar....

I hope wildstar will bring the hardcore raider (in myself) back :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm 52.  Started at the end of Vanilla, played up to the start of Cata with several long breaks.

Playing now?  Let's just say I really like BC.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

I still play and enjoy WoW and I've also been playing EvE for about a year now.  I like EvE for the economy, there is nothing else like it in that regard that I know of.  And I still enjoy wow for the pve.  

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Nverwinter

wow was good at the first days