Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Original WoW Players: Where Are You Now?

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Still playing since classic :D and playing a lot of EVE.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Nostalgia31Nostalgia31 Member Posts: 5

Wow.  I'm reading all of your replies word for word and getting more than a little nostalgic.  

I, myself, haven't really looked around in a while.  I too have gotten much older and moved onto other things in life.  To be totally honest, though, nothing is really as fun as my days in my first raiding guild in Vanilla wow.  We had everything still ahead of us in that game and I guess in our lives, too.  

I just had no idea that things were this spread out at this point.  I guess I was really hoping it wasn't.  Back then, in 2005 and 2006...it was a no brainer: Everyone was on WoW.  Now? As said...I can't believe how spread out it is.

I'm going to look @ Guild Wars 2 as I really do miss the genre and open world PvP.  I'm wondering if GW2 is the closest I'll get to the thrills WoW provided me with back in the day...

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Played from US beta up till a few months before Pandarium expansion (Tho I didn't sink much time into cataclysm).

Where I am now is: loads of SP games (had quite the backlog) and Guild Wars 2 is my multiplayer fix atm (and I'm playing a few beta's)

The MMO that I'm interested in playing further down the line is Arch Age or maybe Final Fantasy.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Nostalgia31

I just had no idea that things were this spread out at this point.  I guess I was really hoping it wasn't.  Back then, in 2005 and 2006...it was a no brainer: Everyone was on WoW.  Now? As said...I can't believe how spread out it is.

I'm going to look @ Guild Wars 2 as I really do miss the genre and open world PvP.  I'm wondering if GW2 is the closest I'll get to the thrills WoW provided me with back in the day...

That's probably the biggest thing I think WoW did imo, it just brought everyone together.  Even now I still consider them the best social network out there d:

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I'm 37 yo. Played from vanilla to wotlk without long breaks and quit after cata pre-patch. No mmo so far have really got me like wow vanilla + tbc did. I'll check wildstar when it releases but now i'm waiting on tbc server coming later this year.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Been playing Civ V, Dishonored, and Half-Life 2 this month.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I played the living crap out of WoW for six years. Then i was just tired of it and tried moving on to others. It didn't work.  Everything else is just like it but in another world and mostly just far worse quality. There are exceptions like SWTOR and Rift, Guild Wars 2 but they all play too similarly. Hell i couldn't even get into Dragon Age because i was sick and tired of that combat, although i can put up with it now since it's been around two years since i really played WoW. I have returned a few times to see what i missed and play with friends but i never got the urge to play enough to continue paying a monthly subscription.

Unlike other long time players and fans i still think the game is great. I love all the updates, i love how its advanced, adapted and grown. I just don't want to play enough to make the sub fee worth it.

Now i'm mostly just playing single player games and sometimes jump into the multiplayer component.

Kingdoms of Amalur is incredible and everybody should experience it. =p

Nothing has been able to replace wow but DC Universe Online had me sucked in for quite awhile. That is a kickass game. =)

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I left WOW not too long after the introduction of BGs; not my cup of tea for an MMO. I ended up spending a while in COX and really enjoyed it there. Then I found EVE in 2005 and I'm still playing. I spent a couple years in Darkfall, and am also currently playing DF:UW. I've beta testing so many MMO in between and nothing other than those mentioned above have been able to keep my interest for more than a week.

It's a shame that the genre ended up so weak and stagnated, I had big hopes for the future of these games after my early experiences in WOW.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by deniter
    I'm 37 yo. Played from vanilla to wotlk without long breaks and quit after cata pre-patch. No mmo so far have really got me like wow vanilla + tbc did. I'll check wildstar when it releases but now i'm waiting on tbc server coming later this year.

What TBC server is this please?

Anyone in this thread try out Rift yet? Opinions on it? 

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

I liked it the FTP change is enticing

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

I bought it long time ago and i have been playing it like couple hours per month till last week but not going to touch it anymore.

theres better f2p chats out there.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu.

WoW was the best theme park. The others have failed. EvE was cool, I didn't like space ships though. Out of no where comes Age of Wushu, where I've been for 6 months.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Unfortunately, it does seem that a lot of these games just turn into a chat window :(

Someone really needs to fill the vacuum that exists here.  I can't believe how dead the genre looks.  

I was just watching gameplay footage of GW2 and ...not at all that appealing, tbh.  I'm shocked this is how the genre turned out post wow...

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    I left WoW in 2008 after playing it for 12 to 18 hours a day, every day for several years. I just had to stop playing cold turkey for a while to realize there was these things called the sun and outdoors and that people were actually real, I could walk up to them and see them for real. After a while I did some beta testing, then I played a little LOTRO and now I'm playing SWTOR some. I'm just waiting for TESO to come out.
  • healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
     UO was my first love but I guit it for WoW in 1985 from then till now I have tried every thing too be released and never stay more than a couple months. But I've ben playing Eldevin closed beta recently and it has brought back some of my fondness for the genera. It seems I been looking in all the wrong places, ie pretty grafix for my new home when all it takes is simplicity, a good story and humble devs with a vision
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

I used to play WoW on and off since launch till about 2 months into Cata (about the time it took to clear the content). I took several breaks in between the expansions but now I don't even want to get back. Currently splitting my attention between GW2 and Age of Wushu with occasional swing to TSW when they release new story DLC. 

Mostly however waiting for Shadowrun Returns, which while not being MMO will most likely be the game I'll focus on in next few months, which then will probably be followed by Wasteland 2 and other kickstarter games. So yeah.. a lot of singleplayer goodness upcoming and I'm not sure if I want to put my time into yet another MMO for now. 

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Clocking 31 this year aswell.

Played on and off since late beta in 2004 up to WotLK right before Ulduar patch i quit for good, haven't touched it since.

Still hanging around, trying to find a place to call 'home' in the genre, has been getting harder and harder ever since.

Persistant MMORPG'er as can be seen from my join date :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

I left WoW when it still was vanilla.  I liked game itself, but I did not like where it was going.   Judging from how it was changing and how it changed - I made good decision.

I am not playing any MMORPG (or mmo for that matter) and I don't know if I ever will - I don't like microtransactions, zoning, phasing and non-coherent & consistant worlds and 'lolz themes'.   Really genre is dead atm.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

For PVE I'm still in WOW, and dabbling in SWTOR and GW2.  Also lots of Don't Starve, and trying out Metro Last Light.

For PVP I'm sorta bouncing between Smite, Mechwarrior Online, and Planetside 2, but haven't really strongly settled on one recently.  I suppose I should get back to playing Natural Selection 2 some more too, as that game has updated a lot since I last played.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I beta tested it, it was just ok, but it's going free to play soon, so you'll be able to try it out. I beta tested Tera and Aion and liked both of them better, you can try those too, both are free to play. 

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I'm mostly playing Neverwinter and EQ2 and play Lotro and Poe here and there.WoW was the game I mostly played all the way from late beta to Cataclysm.When Cata changed a large part of the vanilla world,it was kinda like getting punched in the gut.That original WoW was somewhat special to me,alot of memories there.Tried to go back when Pandaria hit,but the draw to the game has evaporated for me.

Rift is a game I'll be going to also,before ftp hits.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Slappy1

I'm mostly playing Neverwinter and EQ2 and play Lotro and Poe here and there.WoW was the game I mostly played all the way from late beta to Cataclysm.When Cata changed a large part of the vanilla world,it was kinda like getting punched in the gut.That original WoW was somewhat special to me,alot of memories there.Tried to go back when Pandaria hit,but the draw to the game has evaporated for me.

See, I never got a chance to see the world after Cata.  How drastically did they change the vanilla environments? 

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Slappy1

See, I never got a chance to see the world after Cata.  How drastically did they change the vanilla environments? 

Off the top of my head,Barren's/Desolace/Stranglethorn Vale/Loch Modan/Southshore area/THousand Needles/Feralas/Badland's and the list goes on.There was more zones changed in vanilla than unchanged.

The questing was made even easier and vanilla was basically turned into an express route to lvl 60.Just sad.Some people may like an easy lvl up,but I enjoy the experience of getting to cap.I'm in no hurry.So in my eyes it destroyed the game.To me it's like one day you're in Oregon and the next day it's Texas.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Not playing any MMO's. Tried a few of the mega hyped ones, nothing clicks like FF11 or WoW did originally with me. Maybe i'm just being nostalgic but it seems the communities for every game i've tried since then have been shit. Console games have most of my attention now.