Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Trion Rocked by Layoffs

Comments

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by DMKano

So I got the real scoop - the Defiance team got too big the last two months prior to release, they had a hard launch date. Now that most of the bugs are stabilized, they let go all temps and contractors, and a few redundant folks on the QA and art teams.

Rift, ArcheAge End of Nations and other teams were not affected.

This from a source out of San Diego, also some support temps for the game were let go.

The reports are way overblown from reality.

Normal practice post launch - scale down, sad practice but thats the gaming industry for you

What's that smell ?      yeah...you know...its Bull Shite

I have the  REAL inside scoop....they were invaded by aliens...yeah...from space.

I typed it here, so it must be true !!!

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond
    This is just standard "Thanks for building the game, now pack your suitcase" layoffs right?

Why would a company keep headcount around if they no longer need them? Seems reasonable to layoff after any software release. Most companies do it.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by topographic
    This is just standard "Thanks for building the game, now pack your suitcase" layoffs right?

Why would a company keep headcount around if they no longer need them? Seems reasonable to layoff after any software release. Most companies do it.

Don't bother, people don't want to hear this.  They want to point fingers and feel vindicated they didn't like a certain game / company.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by nickster29
    Originally posted by topographic

Don't bother, people don't want to hear this.  They want to point fingers and feel vindicated they didn't like a certain game / company.

True. I keep forgetting we live in a world that revolves around the "outrage machine".

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I'm just saying that I wonder if from the advertising when it was first announced, that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot from the get go.  They made it sound like it was a completely free to play game (I know there is no subscription, but you have to buy the game).  A lot of people I know wanted to try the game, but at 60 bucks none have done so.  They made it sound like it was a completely free to play title that tied in with the TV show.  I'm wondering if this lost them possible customers seeing as how Rift is now going FTP and like many other games you don't have to buy a copy to play, just download em.  To be honest I wanted to play but when I saw the price tag I didn't.  Well good luck to the people that got laid off, I know its tough out there still.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by nickster29

Except those sorts of layoffs happen all the time and no one notices unless its a REALLY slow news day. Large sweeping lay offs like this one are not particularly a norm unless something has gone wrong. I for one am waiting to see who all was ousted as anyone that is a lead in much of anything is head rolling, not temps.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by DMKano

So I got the real scoop - the Defiance team got too big the last two months prior to release, they had a hard launch date. Now that most of the bugs are stabilized, they let go all temps and contractors, and a few redundant folks on the QA and art teams.

Rift, ArcheAge End of Nations and other teams were not affected.

This from a source out of San Diego, also some support temps for the game were let go.

The reports are way overblown from reality.

Normal practice post launch - scale down, sad practice but thats the gaming industry for you

Sounds more believable than IGN's "chicken little" method of article writing. I even considered that Rift would only be moving to a Defiance f2p model if Defiance had proven the model viable.

• ildqueildque Member Posts: 5
    usually the decision will always depends on each company's goal and for this matter,  it is not necessary means that they are closing opportunities it was just a way to improve more/.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by atuerstar 

Sounds more believable than IGN's "chicken little" method of article writing. I even considered that Rift would only be moving to a Defiance f2p model if Defiance had proven the model viable.

How does that make sense at all? There have been a rather large number of successes well before Defiance. And I would have a hard time considering Defiance a success considering how the vast majority of its users are on console.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by SuperPaneki
    Part-time workers going out the company after the release. That's normal.

If by part-time you mean temp, you may be right.  It is normal for some companies to use temps that are there only to work on a specific assignment.  When a temp leaves after his assignment is done though its not called a layoff.  So this is referring to something that isnt standard (although with the rash of underperforming games it sure seems standard)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Wow, I've never realized how many people on here are just either a) dumb b) unaware c) trolling.

Layoffs are NORMALLY in the game industry... you build a game, you build a team, you get close to launch or post launch (after the first round of bug fixes), and then you layoff the majority whom are no longer needed.

People want examples:

CCP (your glorious Eve online) - http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/19/ccp-layoffs-affect-20-of-worldwide-staff-company-focusing-on-e/

SOE (EQ, EQ2, Planetside) - 2009 - http://kotaku.com/5317168/layoffs-hit-sony-online-entertainment

2011 - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33836/SOE_Hit_With_205_Layoffs_Three_Studio_Closures_Agency_Cancelled.php

Blizzard (WoW, Diablo, Starcraft) - 2008 - http://ocbiz.ocregister.com/2008/09/11/more-layoffs-at-blizzard-activision-but-none-affect-irvine-co/

2011 - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20031311-17.html

2012 - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/blizzard-announces-layoffs-of-600-employees-worldwide/

I'm not your researcher but layoffs happen.  And then the people whine and move on to other places.  Blizzard laid of people at the HEIGHT of their population.  Did they need the money?  Were they strapped to lay these people off to save a buck?  No.  They weren't needed for the current development cycle.

Just because it isn't normal in your burger flipping professions doesn't mean it isn't the norm elsewhere.  As people who work in  Semi-Conductor industries... layoffs come and go like a sine wave.  (look it up)

Edit: Sorry had to find the below article...

Here's an interesting article to read "http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/21/mmo-devs-most-in-danger-of-layoffs-study-claims/ 

Company releases mediocre copy of very popular game which slips into relative obscurity quickly, company starts to give away copies of game for free with no real uptake of subscriptions so finally bites bullet and goes f2p as a last ditch attempt to revive a dying product.

Companies second game goes into beta and because of problems and not enough interest in beta testing shelves game under the auspices that they taken development in house.

Company releases third game to mediocre reviews bemoaning the lack of usability, poor UI, poor communication system, multitude of bugs and lack of content, game effectively tanks.

And these are normal layoffs? your opening line is really is bizarre if you cannot see a piss poor run company that only held out for so long on investors money which is now running out. This company is making no money and has had to cull its workforce simple as that. Trion Worlds is not a success story its a company that bit off more than it can chew and is paying for its small mindedness. Archeage will have to be picked up by another developer as they don't have the manpower to convert such a big game.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Wow, I've never realized how many people on here are just either a) dumb b) unaware c) trolling.

Layoffs are NORMALLY in the game industry... you build a game, you build a team, you get close to launch or post launch (after the first round of bug fixes), and then you layoff the majority whom are no longer needed.

People want examples:

CCP (your glorious Eve online) - http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/19/ccp-layoffs-affect-20-of-worldwide-staff-company-focusing-on-e/

SOE (EQ, EQ2, Planetside) - 2009 - http://kotaku.com/5317168/layoffs-hit-sony-online-entertainment

2011 - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33836/SOE_Hit_With_205_Layoffs_Three_Studio_Closures_Agency_Cancelled.php

Blizzard (WoW, Diablo, Starcraft) - 2008 - http://ocbiz.ocregister.com/2008/09/11/more-layoffs-at-blizzard-activision-but-none-affect-irvine-co/

2011 - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20031311-17.html

2012 - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/blizzard-announces-layoffs-of-600-employees-worldwide/

I'm not your researcher but layoffs happen.  And then the people whine and move on to other places.  Blizzard laid of people at the HEIGHT of their population.  Did they need the money?  Were they strapped to lay these people off to save a buck?  No.  They weren't needed for the current development cycle.

Just because it isn't normal in your burger flipping professions doesn't mean it isn't the norm elsewhere.  As people who work in  Semi-Conductor industries... layoffs come and go like a sine wave.  (look it up)

Edit: Sorry had to find the below article...

Here's an interesting article to read "http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/21/mmo-devs-most-in-danger-of-layoffs-study-claims/ 

Did Blizzard lay off anyone just a month after their MMO release? did Anet lay off anyone? how about CCP? did they lay off so called 'temps' just a month after game release?

You are forgetting one crucial thing here 'the time frame'. Defiance is not an old game. 

I  find your first line regarding others being dumb and unaware really ironic.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

A game developer studio exist to develop games.

Once you finish a project you start another project.

If you cant start another project chances are you aren't in a good financial state and are unable to get investors so you fire people.

If it was normal you would see some people leaving but they would also be hiring costumer service, community managers, etc, due to a shift in their priorities.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

I have been a fan of the game since beta however I think anyone that is trying to put a positive spin on this is just fooling themselves. I could be wrong but I it would surprise me.

That being said all I know is there are plenty of other players around when I am playing. As long as the servers are online I will pop in and continue to have some much needed mindless fun. Is it my main game, no but it scratches that itch I need every now and then.

I knew this news would make some of the bitter negative sharks that frequent this site happy..... some nice chum In the water so to speak.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Executives who do fuck all work are the ones who get severance packages. you got to just love this world.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Both games trion have released have been mediocre, so i am not surprised.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Is this JUST related to Defiance, or does it have anything to do with Rift going F2P?

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Is this JUST related to Defiance, or does it have anything to do with Rift going F2P?

RIFT related F2P layoffs happened six months ago.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

If that is just standard i wonder why Anet didn't lay off anyone after GW2 release?

Fact is that if you make a crap game like Defiance..layoffs and loss in income is something hard to avoid. 

I am currently playing defiance on xbox 360 and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's as good as any of the other garbage out right now.

/2cents

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    That's what happens when you make a sub par game like Defiance, part of those who made it have to pay the price.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got to say this has been common place in most mmo's.  Hire a huge staff then get the product out the door and fire everybody except the support staff.

Honestly I think thing at Trion are in bad shape, and I don't think they are going to be in business if things keep up.  We not just talking rift and defiance,  were talking the entire studio. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by Thorkune

If that is just standard i wonder why Anet didn't lay off anyone after GW2 release?

Fact is that if you make a crap game like Defiance..layoffs and loss in income is something hard to avoid. 

I am currently playing defiance on xbox 360 and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's as good as any of the other garbage out right now.

/2cents

[mod edit]

[mod edit]  In my opinion Defiance is a crap game. I don't know what is there to apologies for? having an opinion?

And no i am not a GW2 fan either. 

*rolls eyes*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I agree with some people here , TESO is going to do the same thing after they launch TESO. Once a game is finished especially something like buy to play there is absolutely nothing at all left for a huge staff to do but milk any hopes at profits away. When game engines are being built devs create tools to make life easy in the future for creating in game content on the fly so there is no more need to hard code anymore. Unless a game company is working almost immediately on a new game title or engine or something they just do not need like 75% of the hired staff anymore and can work easily off a much smaller crew. Granted IM sure defiance isn't doing all that well being its a niche title, I still think this was a planned layoff honestly and why most new hires  in this industry are 1099 employees and not regular staff.
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I'd assume it's unnecessary parts of the development team if it weren't for their recent announcement that Rift is going F2P. Do people really think these two events aren't connected?

I think the company is in a bit of trouble, but it's probably a short-term thing. Defiance seems to be doing well despite its issues, which I'm sure will get ironed out and worked on, and the show version got picked up for another season (God knows why, but whatever). Rift is a very solid game and will probably rake in plenty of money post-F2P. They'll probably be hiring again within 6 months.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

Did Blizzard lay off anyone just a month after their MMO release? did Anet lay off anyone? how about CCP? did they lay off so called 'temps' just a month after game release?You are forgetting one crucial thing here 'the time frame'. Defiance is not an old game. I  find your first line regarding others being dumb and unaware really ironic.
    Why let a little thing like "facts" get in your way of the agenda you are trying to push.

Ikeda also failed to mention that nearly all of Blizzard's layoffs were customer service positions meant to help customers retrieve hacked accounts. When Blizzard automated account retrieval a lot of those customer service people were no longer needed.

The fact is that no successful MMO has been "rocked by layoffs" a month out from launch.