Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why games go "free" to play

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Fusion

Idiots will always remain idiots and corporates are more than happy to exploit those idiots.

Unfortunately the 'loop-hole' for gambling boxes is the ultra-rare chance for a key to drop or hideously grindy methods of gaining currency for said keys, thus they remain legal.

and i am more than happy to have "idiots" subsidize my gaming.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Because some people will literally spend $1000s a month on a game:

http://atlantica.nexon.net/Community/#/showthread.php?850528-Wyvern-to-rare-wyvern&nxid=12

[quote]

Chance is incredibly low, my guess is around 0.1%.
    I used 150+ boxes on the upgrade, got multiple of every other item, but no rare wyvern.
    I'm NOT happy.

[/quote]

Those being the latest mount box, which cost $50 for 7. So he literally spent $1000 or so. And then later in the thread, he bought another 100 more.

And this is not a rarity in F2P games. I'm not saying it's common, exactly, but all games have a number of "whales" that do this. And ultimately, games get designed to take advantage of these people, which leaves regular people in the dirt.

And ultimately it is a mount, bar 15-20 mins on longer journeys you save by having a better mount (if it is better) you gain nothing and the above example only proves one thing: Fools are fast parted with their money, a fact keenly shown by the introduction of cash shops in P2P games so let us not dwell on things which have neither merit nor cause for concern for a F2P game preys no more or less on the fools than those that call themselves P2P (sorry for the overly dramatic way of saying it, I watched waaaay too much spartacus last night and am finding it difficult to part archaic forms from more modern ones, lack of sleep sees to that).

Not technically true.  In Atlantica Online mounts give very large stat buffs.  I really like the game but it is blatantly P2W.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Idiots will always remain idiots and corporates are more than happy to exploit those idiots.

Unfortunately the 'loop-hole' for gambling boxes is the ultra-rare chance for a key to drop or hideously grindy methods of gaining currency for said keys, thus they remain legal.

Funny you say the word "subsidize." I won't say anything else...there's probably a good legit reason you collect a monthly check. ROFLMAO.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's inevitable that P2W will become the accepted norm in all quality F2P games.

Every year, MMO players become more desensitized as far as Cash Shop contents is concerned. Things that are commonly accepted nowadays would have resulted in forum riots 6 to 8 years ago in most Western MMO's.

Every year, the boundary is pushed a bit further...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yes. F2P is profitable. Did you think all the studios are choosing that financial model just to be nice?

People go after the things they like impulsively and compulsively. If the way to get "it" is a random in-game drop, they'll play the shit out of the game. If the way to get it is from a random cash-shop gambling "purple chest" game, they'll do that excessively instead.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    It's inevitable that P2W will become the accepted norm in all quality F2P games. Every year, MMO players become more desensitized as far as Cash Shop contents is concerned. Things that are commonly accepted nowadays would have resulted in forum riots 6 to 8 years ago in most Western MMO's. Every year, the boundary is pushed a bit further...

There aren't really any boundaries, or at least not boundaries that can't be pushed. People texting instead of calling, sending email instead of letters, using words that never existed before, changing movie formats, women being able to vote and so on.

Our entire culture exists in a state of flux, with very few absolutes that will not be changed. The payment models for MMOs is not likely to offer much resistance to change.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

$1k  trying to get a mount. These are the people who shoot and stab friends and family at home then the police blame video games.

Crazy MoF**kers

It's inevitable that P2W will become the accepted norm in all quality F2P games.

Every year, MMO players become more desensitized as far as Cash Shop contents is concerned. Things that are commonly accepted nowadays would have resulted in forum riots 6 to 8 years ago in most Western MMO's.

And there's not a single thing wrong with that since freeps and freeloaders run rampant and I'm having to pay for their gaming experience.

My Blog
    Originally posted by BlueTiger33

Funny you say the word "subsidize." I won't say anything else...there's probably a good legit reason you collect a monthly check. ROFLMAO.

Yeah .. there are good reasons .... like putting my kids through college.

Gaming ... i don't see anything wrong doing some free fun gaming. It is just a pass-time.

And there's not a single thing wrong with that since freeps and freeloaders run rampant and I'm having to pay for their gaming experience.

You don't have to. You choose to. F2P games are free.

And if you choose to pay for my gaming, there is not a single thing wrong i can see.

"will become"?

More like "has become"

Otherwise, why are so many playing in P2W games. Apparently millions don't mind.

You don't have to. You choose to. F2P games are free.

And if you choose to pay for my gaming, there is not a single thing wrong i can see.

Exactly. I'm elevated to a status in game (VIP for AOW or stats/exp in other games) I'm not saying there is anything wrong. I will gladly pay to be set apart...it's like real life. Either you got a rust bucket beater or you got an SUV.

Just makes sense that people are able to show or remind others of their status in life...especially because that can in turn produce revenue/income.

My Blog